Shepards Pie

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Shepards Pie any one?

Thumbnail by phicks
North Augusta, ON

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

I noticed some threads have an asterisk next to YES on the left side there. I was wondering what that means?

North Augusta, ON

I think it means there is a picture in the first post.

Deatsville, AL(Zone 8a)

Phicks, What is your shepard's pie made of? I have heard of it but dont have a recipe.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ground beef and oions cooked salt peper garlic poweder i can cream corn one can whole corn drained. mashed poatoes beef and cooked onions on the bottom the the corn then the mashed on top i bake mine till the top is lightly brown . the salt and spices do to your taste you can use instant poatoes or real i use a bit of white peper to Paul . PS some people use other Vegies Peas carrotts but the real resipe is corn

North Augusta, ON

I make mine similar...I leave out the corn and add to the burger..parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme(like the song), a bit of onions and celery.
My Gramma was British and she said the corn is a North American additive....I never could adapt to the taste of it with corn in.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

The Beef is to As its a Irish Dish was Made With Ground Mutton Lamb

North Augusta, ON

hmmmm....glad Gramma left that out!!!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

i add 2 cans of vegetable soup to my browned meat and onion mixture..salt, pepper to taste with a dash of worcestershire sauce...add grated cheese to the potatoes for the topping..the soup gives a more concentrated flavor to the mixture.. do not dilute the soup.

Larkie

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Paul you cook too???

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i was a Chef For 35 Years

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Geez you have the best plants and you can cook.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love Shepherd's Pie, but my husband doesn't so I hardly ever get it. Ummmm. Your picture makes me hungry.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Cottage Pie uses Beef, while Shepard's Pie uses Lamb/Mutton.

Shepard's Pie

1/2 lb. lamb, minced (225g)
1/2 lb. mutton, minced (225g)
1 1/2 lbs. potatoes (700g)
large onion, chopped
2 oz. mushrooms, sliced (50g)
bay leaf
2 carrots, diced
1 oz. flour (25g)
1 Tbsp. tomato puree
1 oz. butter (25g)
4 Tbsp milk
8 oz. lamb or beef stock (300ml)
2 oz. Cheddar cheese (50g)

Method:
Dry fry the mutton and lamb with the chopped onion, bay leaf, sliced mushrooms and diced carrots for 8-10 minutes. Add the flour and stir for a minute. Slowly blend in the stock and tomato puree. Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and boils. Cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes. Remove the bayleaf and place in a 1.7 litre (3 pint) ovenproof serving dish.

At the same time, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes until tender. Drain well, mash with the butter and milk and mix well. Spread on top of the mince mixture and sprinkle over with the grated cheese.

Bake for 15-20 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 200C/400F (Gas Mark 6). Serve hot with green vegetables.

Deatsville, AL(Zone 8a)

I really like the idea of adding the vegetable soup to this. When I made it, we thought it was kind of a bland dish. I also like the cheese on top idea.

KatyM

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I bet it would be good with the veggie soup, thanks for that idea. I always put cheese on top of mine and paprika. I used to use only instant potatoes, but now I only use real potatoes :)

Kathy

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

try the yellow potatoes

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

The concentrated soup adds so much flavor...gotta make one sometimes this week..

Larkie

North Augusta, ON

I had some left over scalloped potatoes the other day I put on a shepherds pie---sure was good. Now, every time I want a shepherds pie, I'm gonna have to make scalloped potatoes the day before to put on top of it---lol

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Mmm love Shepherd's Pie. I have a recipe for it in the slow cooker too (not the mashed potatoes part). I can look it up when I get home if anyone would want it.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I grew up with the well-seasoned beef, corn, taters recipe. For a change of pace I like to add a can of sliced carrots, whip up (pkg.) brown gravy then top it all off with the mashed potatoes.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

try fresh or frozzen carrotts Art And Gardens id like the Recipe for that one

Phoenix, AZ

... back to time on the job....
so that makes you 36 yrs old?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

whos 36

albury, Australia

hi from aussie, proper shepherds pie is made from leftover roast leg of lamb, minced up with onions, tomato sauce, just a dash and a gravy to bind it together, then covered in mashed spuds with dobs of butter on to help browning in the oven

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I made your Shepherd's pie, maccionoadha, it was outstanding and my husband loved it and he has always told me that he hated Shepherd's pie. I will make your recipe again!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I love shepherd's pie. We make it with leftover roast lamb (it's easy to get fresh local lamb around here), assorted veggies, yukon gold mashed potatoes, and herbs from the garden.

The big difference I see with my recipe is that I make it with a bottom crust. I use Julia Child's savory piecrust recipe (no sugar and a little more salt) baked by itself beofre it's filled and it is so good. I'm not a big fan of piecrust but Reese and I have to keep each other from nibbling on the baked crust before the filling goes in. The buttery crust really complements the savory filling.

We served this to our friends and they loved it, though their eight year old daughter wouldn't touch it. We told her to help herself to as much salad as she wanted (since it was the only other thing served with dinner). Grown-ups are so mean!

Santa Fe, NM

I was wondering if this pie had a crust, like a pot pie. But then it seemed to me that the mashed potatoes made the crust. Is that right? All sounds good to me. I like the idea of using lamb because we can get some locally.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

When I make my shepherd's pie, the potatoes are the top crust. The meat and veggies are the bottom :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Same here. I made the recipe posted by maccionoadha above. It was delicious. Mashed potatoes on the bottom might be good, as well.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

It's kind of like lemon meringue pie, crust on the bottom, gooey stuff (meat and veggies in gravy) in the middle, and fluffy stuff (mashed potatoes) on the top.

That reminds me, I need to call our favorite butcher and order some more lamb. Yum!

albury, Australia

a shepherds pie with a pie crust on the bottom is called a meat pie here, also we have pastry on the top as well on
most of our pies, the bottom crust is made as a short crust with dripping and top is puff, our pies are made as single serves and we love them at the footy and any sporting venue usually serves up a good pie ans sauce

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

I've never understood why English Pies have not become a staple here in the States. Cottage pie, Shepherds pie, Cornish Pasties......The Egyptian Sanbusak and the Russian Piroshki - all could and SHOULD be a hit here as single servers! How I miss them. My home-made ones are never the same as when one walks into the shop, makes a major decision on which type to select, and then munches them with bliss - ah! the fragrance..........makes ones mouth water!!!

Piroshki, Russian meat pies: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2007-43,GGLJ:en&q=piroshki+pies
Sanbusack, Egyptian meat pies: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=242089
Cornish Pasties: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2007-43,GGLJ:en&q=cornish+pasties

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Maybe Americans don't want to spend the time making these items. Making crust is not something most of us are good at. Ah for the little shops that would sell them! But we don't have any around here. We have a small restaurant here makes empanaditas at Christmas, which are little meat pies, but that is the best we can do.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the links, bedouin. I think most ethic groups have their version of a pocket sandwich. I used to work with a fellow from Kenya whose wife sent in the most fantastic, little trianglar snacks. Oh, they were good! Here, we have runzas available as fast food, but don't get Terry and I stared on that ~ it's a whole 'nother thread. :)

Santa Fe, NM

My D.H. sometimes makes piroshki. They're pretty good. They do take time to make. I wish we could buy them in a little shop. At one time we had a "gourmet" type market here (Standard Market, it was called). They sold home-made chicken pot pies that were heavenly.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They have frozen ones at Trader Joe's but they can't be as good as homemade.

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

roybird, was your Piroshki pastry make with yogurt? I was rather surprised when I first read of the use of yogurt in pastrymaking. I havent made any for a while - really must get myself organized to make them again, as they were delicious. I found that after removing all the horrible fat at the top of the can of Dinty Moore, it made a very respectible filling! Add a little garlic, onions and coriander etc, and its quite delicious!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.