How to sew a valance with inverted box pleats & rod pocket?

Dayton, OH

I have one 7 ft. length to make and another 4 ft. and another 3 ft. length and I prefer not to have to staple them on a board! Can anyone help a newbie to this forum--my very first post at Dave's?

I know how to make the pleats but I'm not sure how to attach a rod pocket. The fabric is plaid which will also be a challenge to keep straight lines when joining a separate pocket, so I was hoping I could make a pocket to go on the back of the pleated pieces! Sigh!

Janice

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Could you make the pocket just a seperate piece and stitch it on back?

Dayton, OH

Thank you cpartschick for your response! I thought about that, but wonder if having the pleat with the pocket directly on the back of it, would make it very bulky. Also, I'd think I'd need to stitch the pleat down to the point of the stitching line for the pocket!

I'm thinking, I might forget this idea and go with large scallops in plaid and use a contrasting fabric for the scallop behind that would alternate and show filling the space beteween scallops! I never do anything the easy way it seems!!! Sigh!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might consider going and getting a pattern--there are a ton of curtain patterns out there so I'd run by your local JoAnn or other fabric store and see what they have. I'm sure there's something out there that's close to what you want. (unless you've already made the part with the pleats, then having a pattern won't help you much anymore!)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Could you use a thin fabric for the pocket. A muslin or something?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

You know, cpartschick has a excellent point... if you make the INSIDE of the box pleat a nice coordinating solid color, AND give it a bottom border of the same fabric, you could then use the solid fabric for the rod pocket. This would help eliminate some of the "matching plaid" problems too. OR if you are bound and determined to have the rod pocket be plaid, go ahead and make the pleats with the plaid. To make the rod pocket in plaid you are going to have to make SEAMS in it too to adjust the plaid print to match the finished box pleats (unless the plaid is REALLY small and you can incorporate the pattern match within the pleat without wasting a LOT of material). Can you post a picture of your plaid? WITH a 12 inch ruler next to it for scale?

Why not go on BHG.com and some of those sites and examine THEIR plaid valances, see if you can get some ideas that incorporate the look you want with some sewing ideas. If you see something you like and can't figure it out, post the link here and maybe somebody can help you out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images