Geocaching fun

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Our family went on our first geocaching hunt today. It was so much fun and we're hooked!

Any other geocachers out there?

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

I went with my daughter a few times. Last year. She really enjoyed it. It was fun! Here she is when she found a cachet.

Thumbnail by Candy
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, I love it too, because of the new places I get to discover!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

What on earth is geocaching?

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

It's like going on a treasure hunt using a GPS and some clues. There are caches (trinkets/log book) placed all over the world. I like to do it because you get to see places that you would otherwise drive by.

It also is a way I can get my husband out and go for a walk. All of our local metro parks have some placed! If you would like to learn more go to: www.geocache.com
Go to the hide and seek button and put in your zip code and you will see how many caches are placed right in your own town.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I could not get the page to come up. I was very excited about seeing how many were in our area. We have lots of state parks close by.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oops, sorry about that. http://www.geocaching.com/
Our local metro parks put out 4 each each year, one each season. These expire and then they place new ones. I don't know if the individual states put out any. If someone get permission to place a cache. they can go just about anywhere...rarely are they placed on private property.

The smallest (micro) one I found was a cylinder about 6mm wide and 4mm tall. I once found a glass test tube with a black stopper in the woods...on the other extreme I have found some about the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

There look to be some in the park by my house if I am understanding the site. I have 1 of those hand held GPS finders. What do I do next? When you find it are you supposed to put it back in the same spot?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have done a bit of reading on the site you sent and it looks like a lot of fun. We like to go camping and when we do I go hiking. Looks like it could make my hiking even more entertaining. I bet my DGS who is 6 would really like it. Thanks for the info.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

You can put the coordinates in by hand or they also have software you can use for a nominal fee and download a batch of waypoints and the software also helps keep things organized.

Yes, you put the cache back just the way you found it so the next person will be able to find it.

Say, you were going to take a drive for the weekend...there is a way that you can punch in your start and finish points and they will show you caches to find along the way.

Some caches you need to solve puzzles and that gives you clues to find the cache. Some have multiple legs to get to the cache.

some are real quick and easy and some will leave you scratching your head.....

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like the "National Treasure" movie. LOL

I made an account on the site you sent. Now I have to find my GPS. Think it's with the camping gear.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Cajun,
We we started into Geocaching, I found a local person on Geocaching.com who was very active and contacted them. They were more than happy to show & talk to us about GPS's (how was I to know what options (or not) that I wanted. Also helped us hunt for our first cache and gave us lots of pointers (how to think like a geocacher). I was nice to meet someone in my own community. The hardest part for us was picking out a GPS, but you already have one.

If you can't find your manual to your GPS (to tell you how to put in your coordinates) you should be able to download one from your manufacturer's website

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. It sounds like lots of adventure for the spring and summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.