-
AuthorContent
dreamingflowers
WayupNorth, MN
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #4105769

Do you ever grow them from seeds? I fell in love with them on my trips to Arizona...I'd love to try and grow some. I managed to get seeds from a few- it was tricky. I have searched a bit but found no really good website to discuss how to grow-start indoors. I live in Zone 3 and could never grow them from seed by direct sow. Thanks for any help.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #4106284

I have not personally grown these from seeds, but from talking to those that have, most Agave seem to grow well if sowed properly at the right time of year (spring). Need a super well draining soil (perlite/peatmoss with 20% sharp sand works well) and put seeds at top, and put a thin layer of this mix over them (just enough to cover them), and top the whole thing with a thin layer of moderately fine top dressing, or the stuff they use to put on shingle roofs (pretty cheap stuff). Then water regularly and keep as warm as possible. That's what I was told. good luck!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #4109982

Though still a bit controversial, why not mention that Hostas have been reclassified as being in the Agave family?

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
1:34 PM

Post #4110066

really? Well, there are many other interesting plants in the Agave family, from Beaucarneas and Dasylirions to Sansevierias... but all are basically succulents... not sure why Hostas would fit in there.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #4110202

Same reason many plants are being reclassified these days - the new tools of genetics.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9352727

however you classify them, the agaves make me drool. i loves 'em! =^..^=

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Agaves Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And what an obsession it is! podster 11 Oct 20, 2007 1:16 AM
podster and palmbob ceeadsalaskazone3 0 Oct 19, 2007 1:23 PM
Thx from a Newbie - ? Agaves vs Yucca ? HoustonRick 1 Oct 22, 2007 7:32 PM
Plant names, genus effjayy101 1 Jun 1, 2008 3:23 AM
Agave? d1no 1 Nov 4, 2008 6:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America