Lisa....what kind of hat????

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Lisa, I saw the photo of Dave wearing his hat/cap in his new tractor picture and I was curious what kind of hat/cap will you be wearing? I have a humorous one if you need it.
Congrats,
Carol

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hmmm, good question Carol...I am not a hat person, just don't have the face for it...I do have my Carmen Miranda hat that I wore one time at a Jimmy Buffett concert, caused quite a stir I might add...hmmm, guess I could wear that one...What do you have???!!! Lisa

Lisa: it's okay if you're not a "hat person". Wearing a hat while on the tractor isn't to make you look good. For proof, go back and look at my tractor picture in the photo forum. ;)

Regardless - make sure you do wear a hat while tilling. Otherwise you'll have little pieces of dirt all in your hair. I learned my lesson. :)

dave

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Great advice Dave, I guess some might be wondering what I am doing in front of the computer instead of being on my tractor. Seems like the dealership is late in bringing my tiller and bush hog :-( It is supposed to start raining within the next couple of days..sure wish they'd get on the ball here..Lisa

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Lisa, I think you need a yellow straw farmer hat. I never used to wear hats until I moved to the desert and my brain started to bake. Now it feels funny to be without one. Baseball caps are what I wear, I get them at the Salvation Army thrift store for $1 each so I get several. The lighter colors reflect more heat away from my head. There is a big difference when I forget and my head starts getting hot.

I second MaryE's idea about the straw hat. Trish sometimes puts on a straw hat and there is little cuter in the world. Every woman needs a straw hat for working outside. :)

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Lisa: For all practical purposes I also have to agree with a straw hat. You could dress it up some too. On the other hand, the one I have here (never worn) is a chicken hat. I also like the Carmen Miranda hat idea. Carol

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Lisa,

Fun is fun. But on a serious note, _anybody_ who works out in the sun who doesn't wear a hat is asking for trouble.

This is not a fashion statement, but a practical tool essential to your health and wellbeing.

Please wear one while playing with your tractor.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks ya'll, I am the worst for taking care of my skin! Altho I have gotten a little better in my old age! I am a sun bum. I will have to buy a hat. Lisa

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Lisa,

I LOVE hats of all kinds! I keep wishing they would come back in style so I don't get crazy looks when I do wear one
Anyway, Walmart had some really cute ones, with a peice of fabric to tie around your chin and everything! I've got to pick one up! Garden motif and everything. My only concern about it was I wasn't sure that the bill was wide enough to really keep out the sun, but you should try it. I can't remember the price, but I'm sure that they were $12 or less.
Also, I remember Target had some really wide ones, but I didn't have time to check the price. Its pretty easy to find one for women, but I'm having a terrible time trying to find one for Dave.

Trish

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Trish, we are not a part of the hip world here(yet)...no Target stores!:-(...I've never been in one, but I here they are nice. I bought my dh a cool hat at K-Mart. He likes it alot, it just doesn't last. He went through three last year. When we went to the Expo. in Alabama they had some real nice ones in a booth for gardenware, but they would not sell it to us. They were very well made. I don't know where I am going with this...bye, Lisa

Trish - the straw hat you refer to at Wal-Mart was $3 if memory serves.

Lisa: We don't have a target, either, now that we're in Tennessee. When we were in Atlanta we had lots of 'em though.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I hate when I type "here" for "hear".....lisa

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Lisa, we all want to see your picture driving your tractor and wearing your hat. I checked out Dave's tractor/hat picture, and can say with full assurance I have never seen that combination before! (I am glad Dave laughs at himself with us!) You will find that you stay cooler if your head and neck stay cooler, and when you are working with any kind of machinery that is a safety factor. How? People pass out from being overheated/dehydrated, so drinking about a pint of water every hour also helps keep you cool. I have learned a lot about electrolites lost in sweat that need to be replaced to help your body take care of itself. On my endurance rides I drink 1/2 water and 1/2 gatorade or other sports drink and feel much better than when I tried to do without it. Check into this yourself. We don't want you falling off your new tractor, splat! not a pretty picture!

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Lisa: I have been trying to find this warm hat a home for twenty years. I bought it at Octoberfest in Germany because it was so cute, but I don't have a hat face either. My fiance really wants it, but I refuse to give it to him. He has a great sense of humor - he's the type that wears a Santa Hat everywhere he goes during the holiday season. I don't mind that a bit - but he'd go everywhere with the chicken hat on just because he knows it would embarrass me. My mom loves him dearly, and if I had two of those hats, she'd put one on too, and I can just see them now.... She'd even wear it to church just to embarrass me. Are you sure you you don't want it???
Smiles,
Carol

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Send it on down Carol, I like to keep the folks down here guessing what I'll do next...I think a chicken hat on a tractor is great! hee, hee! Lisa

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Along with a hat, I also like to bring water to wet a thin towel to hang around my neck and occationally pour on my head. I usually put the water in an old plastic plant mister to mist myself. (OK, never did this with a tractor (some day, some day), but works good for general hanging out in the heat and working)... 1/2 water to 1/2 gatoraid is what I use for dirtbike riding during the summer (you'd be amazed how much sweat a full-faced helmet can hold - yick!). Seems to work much better than either plain water or full strength gatoraid... also use it instead of pedialite for sick babies...

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Lisa, please e-mail me the addy and it's yours. Carol

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Dave, whaddya mean no Target nearby??? There are three in Knoxville and one in Maryville! You guys really need to get out more......(grin)

go_vols - oops I'm busted. :) Knoxville is 30 miles away, Maryville is 25 miles. I guess we really do need to get out more often. I'm happy to hear that there are target's around!

dave

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

go_vols...I wasn't going to correct Dave, but never fear- I knew there were Targets here!!! I LOVE their clearence sections!!! I visit every time I get into towm by myself!

Trish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images