Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: October Daily Weather # 2.

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 237, Views: 1,607
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #4107820

We were getting a little long for dail-up.
Here is whats happening,
78.3 F / 25.7 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 62 F / 17 C
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h from the ENE
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
reat weed pulling weather.
Rain is headed our way in an hour or two. About time for football game kick-off.
At least they won't get cold.
Please come by often with your weather and great pictures.
I am borrowing one of E_B's great pictues he posted last week. He sure caught some beautiful color
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #4107867

Sugarweed, does this mean we stop posting to the other thread and start posting over here? If so, I'll go ahead and re-post my photo of the trees in my neighborhood which I just posted this morning on the other thread. I wanted to have a progression of the trees changing color--our trees are still green as you can see. I love that photo above--such vivid colors!.

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #4107904

Hi Sidney - It's been sprinkling/drizzling here for the last 3-4 hours. It's been nice, but I'd love to be weeding! The squirrels, cardinals and mourning doves are loving it outside! Great picture to start the new thread with.
Marsue - About 98% of the time the wind blows the "smell of money" in the opposite direction. It can be quite stinky once in a while! :P (we'll stop posting on the old thread and use this one for the next week)
Deb - I really miss the trick-or-treaters! You're so lucky to still have them and for them to be safe.

The temp is dropping!

75.9 F / 24.4 C
Mostly Cloudy

Had to get the pretty 1/2 moon surrounded by light clouds.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #4108324

About 70 Deg (F) Trying out a new version of Linux and alt-248 is not giveing me the Deg symbol, but is jumping me to another page altogether. AAnd here I thought I had finaly found a version of Linux I could work with.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #4108539

Dyson,
Have you tried ? [alt0176]
[alt248]
[alt0442]

Anyway...62 F now .
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #4108558

Back on XP now (the other machine is busy) 67(F) - Dark - Installed some new solar powered flood lights over the front porch today, so far I am impressed, will see if I still am in about seven hours.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #4108606

Indy - I never knew the shortcuts - now I do! LOL!!

74.1 F / 23.4 C
Overcast
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph / 5.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F / 24 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3400 ft / 1036 m
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft / 1524 m

Now
Through 9 PM...areas of rain and showers continue to move through northeast Florida and southeast Georgia. The heavier showers are moving into the Suwannee Valley along Interstate 75. The showers are moving north to northeast at 15 miles an hour.

Remainder of Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Scattered showers with a possible thunderstorm after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 60s inland...in the lower 70s coast. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Heading off the Island earlier this evening. It's been sprinkling all day.

Thumbnail by MySharona

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #4108785

Marsue we go thru about 2 or 3 threads a month. Sometimes even 4. This is a progression of daily weather. Sometimes it's like a chat over the garden fence. You can still post your progression of color changes of your tree. It just won't be on one thread.
Sharon I so hope some of this precip is landing here.
Sidney
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #4108799

I left for Lilyhemmer on Friday about noon.
I had light rain down to CampHill, Pa. - abt. 20 mil south. Imagine my surprise when I called home and found that my husb had just watched the yard fill up with welcome water - Millersburg, Pa. got over 2 inches in about an hour. This is our total rainfall for this month but was very welcome.

When I returned home today to 74 deg. temps, sunshine and lush green growth, I just gave thanks for natures bounty. It is weed pulling conditions out there so me and the wheelbarrow will be out early tomorrow to get it done.

Here's hoping for some relief for Ga. and the severe, long lasting drought sown south.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #4108805

Today it was warm and windy. Sunny til late afternoon then the clouds came in.

I will post pics tomorrow if I have the energy to mess with it. I had to work today also cause our weekend girl's dad died Fri night. So am a bit tired, especially since I didn't get home til around 11:30pm last night and had to be up early this morning. But I didn't mind too much. A slow day.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2007
7:33 AM

Post #4109546

Dark 47(F)
the batteries are still holding on the porch light.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 80%
Wind: 0 (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.3in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 43F
Yesterday's High Temp: 78F
Dew Point: 43
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 49
Wind Chill: 49
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 50F
6hr High Temp: 68F

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #4109687

Good Morning! :D It's 52* & Dyson Dark. We didn't get any rain the past (a sprinkle or 2) few days, but I think that we are gonna get some tonight & tomorrow! We do have some more color change...need to get some pics today. But it sure would help to remember to put the batteries back into the camera! ;)

Sharon, Your marina pics are Great! Wow! (I want some of your Rain)
Se_eds, Glad that you got the much needed rain! What a great surprise! :D
Kiska, Love the snow! :D I would love to help your GS shovel! :D Can't wait to see the "coffee crystal trick" again! :D
Dotti, Welcome to the forum! :D
Dyson, Glad to hear that you caught the "catch of the day"! LOL!
Rann, What a beautiful lavinder colored flower! :D
Deb, did you get any rain out of that system over the week end? Hope so! :D
Kelli, I hope that you're not in the "line of Fire"! 'Been thinkin' about ya for 2 days!

Todays trivia is...
What is the "lightest" kind of air?
a) Cold and humid
b) Cold and dry
c) Hot and humid
d) Hot and Dry

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #4109890

I just heard on the Weather Channel that it is raining in Atlanta this morning! Hallelujah for them!
Now the west coast needs some rain, out there in So. California where the fires are raging.
Precious baby, Joey!
Thanks for the info on the 3 or 4 threads per month, Sugarweed. Now I know what to expect.
It's raining here, too, although we aren't in the middle of a drought like the Atlanta area is. Still it will give me a reason to stay inside and clean house today! (That's no fun, but, alas, it is necessary!)

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CDT

Light Rain
Feels Like: 60
Barometer: 29.92 in and steady
Humidity: 96%
Visibility: 5 mi
Dewpoint: 59
Wind: ESE 2 mph
Sunrise: 7:20 am
Sunset: 6:25 pm

Here's a photo of one of my Velvet Toreador blooms that I took yesterday when the sun was shining.

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #4110236

Good morning :-)

The flower I posted before is Colchicum 'Waterlily', sorry I forgot to post the name earlier :-) It's the star of my garden at the moment, not much else flowering any more ... except a few Snapdragons and a lupine ;-)

Deb - gorgeous shot of your snapdragon :-) Sounds like Halloween at you place is a blast :-)

marsue - gorgeous, gorgeous rose. And a great name for it too, it really looks like velvet :-) Thanks for clearing that up - the fall festival sounds like a lot of fun too ;-) Looking forward to seeing the progress photos of your fall colors - what a great idea :-)

Sharon - I remember only one or two times we drove up to Jacksonville airport and what's most memorable from those trips was the "stink" from the papermill ;-) lol Almost as bad as our "smell of money" which is fish ;-) lol

It's raining hard and really windy - just a terrible day to have to leave the house - unfortunately I've had to do a lot of dashing to and from the car today :-( It's 48F and the winds are blowing at 29 mph gusting to 44 mph. There is a stormwarning in effect for this afternoon.

Hope you all have a great day :-)

rannveig
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #4110245

Good morning! Awww.. JW is still adorable, Gramma Joey! :-) (And I'm guessing b.)

That's a beautiful rose, marsue.

I'm glad you're getting some rain, se_eds!

Kelli, are you ok?

Dyson, what Linux are you using? My dh likes Ubuntu.

There's a cold front (well, ok, it's not actually going to be cold... more like a chilly front LOL) coming through today. It was sunny and pretty this morning when I went out with the little bunny to wait for the bus. Right now it is dark and dreary out there... either the sun is moving backwards or we are about to get very wet!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CDT (22 min ago)
Temperature 77 F 25 C
Dew Point 72 F 22 C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 29.88 in 1012 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir S 170
Ceiling 4600 ft 1402 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 81 F 27 CLike
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
Remarks Trace precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 71.1F / 21.7C

Right Now Issued 8:00am CDT -- Mon, Oct 22, 2007
Through noon, rain with embedded showers and thunderstorms will continue moving eastward across the area as a strong cold front moves on through. Rainfall amounts should generally average around 1/4 inch, with localized totals around 1 inch possible with the stronger and slower moving storms. Expect temperatures to fall into the lower 60s and possible the mid to upper 50s within an hour or two after frontal passage. It will be breezy too, with the strongest winds and wind gusts developing across the coastal counties.

I should have put a sweater in the little bunny's backpack!!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2007 9:28 AM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #4110505

Right now KNOPPIX 5.1, nice GUI, and learning it.

68(F), Sunny, gray skies - supposed to rain the rest of the week (please let it).

Relative Humidity: 48%
Pressure: 30.3in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 43F
Yesterday's High Temp: 78F
Dew Point: 45
Heat Index: 65
Wind Chill: 65
6hr Low Temp: 48F
6hr High Temp: 52F
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2007
4:23 PM

Post #4110612

Dyson - sure hope you get the rain.

Well it's definately a storm out there - so good to be home :-) It's raining so hard that I'm soaking wet from running into the store and out again (twice 'cause I forgot something the first time would you believe it) and then to pick up Hildur Eva from preschool. The wind's constantly growing stronger, wind speeds are up to 31 mph gusting to 56 mph (and there are A LOT of gusts!) from the SE. Fortunately I don't have to leave the house again today ... well except to drive Selma's friend home - I'm not making her walk home in this weather.

This is from a calmer day - Potentilla fruticosa 'something sunset' (forget the name) is still flowering :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #4110709

Rann - it is 4.2 mi (6.76 km) from here to the grocery store & you would not believe the number of times I have made the trip twice over - ain't getting old grand?

71 - cloudy, cats are hungry, hope they find a fat mouse cause they have been fed (twice).

So tired (and slept really late) can only clean so fast, but the radio is blare'n so I better be get'in too it.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
5:05 PM

Post #4110781

We have a nice easy drizzle.
I was a day early on the kickoff, but todays drizzle is supposed to end at 8PM just at kick off. No umbrellas allowed at the game. Only ponchos.
Monday night football from here about 3 miles from my home.
Joey I'm pretty sure hot and dry air is hottest. GB so handsome.
Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #4110837

Has anyone heard from Kelli?, did she miss the buss over? get caught up in the fires out there? If anyone has heard from her please post. (If you see this Kelli - please set our minds to ease).
& where is Ric?

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #4111008

It's still raining here, off and on. WEather forecasts says we can expect periods of rain for the next 2 or 3 days and the temps will be cooler. Sounded like good soup weather to me so I made a big pot of soup. With just DH and me it usually takes us 2 or 3 days to eat that much soup, but we both like it in this kind of weather.
Rann: sounds like it is good 'soup' weather over your way, too! At least we don't have the gusting winds that you are experiencing right now. BTW, that Velvet Toreador rose not only looks like velvet, it feels like it, too! That "something sunset" of yours is a beautiful flower too. I wonder if it would grow in Arkansas?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
6:16 PM

Post #4111064

Dyson the last time we heard from Kelli was 10/19,
I know the fires are in Malibu, and her addy is not in the exchanged so I R/McN La to Malibu. They didn't recognize Canoga.
Any how 41 minutes and 29 miles.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #4111083

Thanks - Worried.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #4111217

I think that Kelli lives right around where the G in Glendale is on your map, Sidney. I think she lives near our niece who is in Toluca Lake. Still too close to the fires.. I need to check on Susannah, too.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #4111231

Se_eds Congrats on the rain!
Pepper I hope youll be able to get some rest soon.
Joey Thanks! Awww JW is such a handsome baby! Have you received any rain? Im going with B for the trivia answer.
Marsue Lovely rose!
Rann LOL! Both stink under the right conditions!
Marylyn - Im so envious of your temps! No chilly front for us : (
Dyson Im still dancing; getting a little tired though. May you get some much needed rain as well. My cats are always hungry swear they have tapeworm, but they dont. Theyre just spoiled!
Rann Brrrrr! Such a lovely little flower!
Sidney It rained here for about 3 hours, just spitting now.
Kelli- Where are you? I know she lives in the Valley. If you're lurking just stop and say "hi"!

Now
Through 330 PM...scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms from Lake George north to the Okefenokee Swamp will move north northwest at 10 miles per hour. The heaviest activity will be from Jacksonville to Yulee and Kingsland. Brief heavy downpours...localized flooding of low lying areas...gusty winds...and occasional lightning strikes can be expected.

76.6 F / 24.8 C
Heavy Thunderstorm Rain Mist
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 73 F / 23 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the ESE
Wind Gust: 10.5 mph / 16.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 1.5 miles / 2.4 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1500 ft / 457 m

This map shows Canoga Park, Malibu and Topanga
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Canoga Park, CA, United States of America&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Thumbnail by MySharona

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 22, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #4111597

Hi,everyone,so gorgeous pics!
Marilyn, thanks ,we are learning English in school in Romania,since kindergarden ! I actually started in the 3rd grade and loved the language,always wanted to learn it as much as I could and God has helped me,by finding DG and all my friends here.It is you who are helping me to learn more ,THANK YOU !
Very bad weather here,all day raining and strong winds. Low temps in the morning, 44!
This is the view from my window yesterday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4111775

Sugar, I think E_B takes amazing pictures and this one is gorgeous!! Hope you don't get wet at the game.

Marsue, I look forward to the color progression on your tree. It won't matter if they aren't all on the same page. Your rose is gorgeous!!

Sharon, the moon photo is fantastic! How did you get so high in the sky and keep the ground in the picture? I love the heavy cloud picture too. I imagine living near the ocean gives you some pretty thick ones.

Dyson, I tried the degree thing and found out it gave the degree sign, but I also got an A behind it. Now where did that come from? I gave up and went back to the star. Hope your solar lights work for you.

Seeds, wishing more than 2'' for you! It's sure been a rainy year for us. We're as green as a spring day in June! Saturday should be the last time I have to mow this year.

Pepper, our weather is your weather. Get some sleep babe!

Joey, I'll guess B. Grandma Joey? I haven't been on Dave's much so I'm sort of out of the loop. What a sweetie!! I love the Alaska onesie :))

Rann, cold and windy already? I was chilly, but now I feel a bit cozy :)) Button up!!! I love the color of your potentilla!

Marylyn, hope the bunny made it home warm and dry.

Adina, your trees and flowers are always so pretty! You contribute a lot thru your pictures! I hope the weather isn't affecting your new house.

We hit 55* and have had a bit of rain. Yesterday was beautiful! I hand spread horse manure and turned it into the garden. I cut flowers back and planted some small rhubarb starts someone gave me. It was a very good day! Today is my day of rest :))

I tore out the crowded border iris and grape hyachinths in the rock garden. I will enjoy replanting with something different next spring. In the background are Alma Potsche Asters and they are that bright and pretty!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #4111798

Mmmm... Rhubarb.. yummy! Glad to see you, billyporter. :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #4111927

Thanks, I've sure had trouble finding time to log on. It's always nice to get back tho!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #4112016

Sally it's always nice when you have time to check in on us!

Dyson - LOL - well I'm 36 so what's my excuse? Fortunately I wasn't out of the parking lot when I realized I had to go back in. I just really hated having to go out in that weather again! lol 4.2 miles to the grocery store seem far to me ... it's almost the distance from here to Reykjavik and there are two towns in between! lol

marsue - thanks :-) that Potentilla is listed as Z 3-7. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=Potentilla&searcher[species]=fruticosa&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&offset=0 There are countless cultivars in different colors. They're borderline here since they flower so late and tend to die back severly over winter. Still I always get a few blooms in late August - September (October now :-) )

I sure hope Kelli's alright. Those fires were on the news here tonight.

The wind's died down a bit, maximum wind gusts recorded here in the vicinity were just over 60 mph.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 22, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #4112093

already nearly 3pm.. New ice floes in the river; bright white and so pretty.
38*; sunny. Sunrise: 8:58am Sunset: 6:22pm. loss of 5min43sec.
Sugarweed - what a gorgeous picture; fall pictures are hard to beat.
bp~ looks like you've got everything ready for whatever you do plan for next spring. Going to be pretty, I'm sure.
Music2Keep - JW is such a beautiful baby; in case I've overlooked the answer already, I'll go with "B">
MySharona - always an active sky; between that the ocean, you've got a great scenic area that's always changing.
rann - "bummer" of a day sounds like - especially to have to out in more than once.
adina - the look of fall is getting more colorful by the day, it looks like. Very pretty.
Hi Dyson - still daylight here, but come tomorrow morning, not till nearly 9am will it kick in...good luck w/ more rain.
marsue ~~ the idea of soup is a good one; what kind?
It is worrisome about kelli; must be terrible to be in that area and fire all around.
pepper23; hope you've had a chance to be more rested; sorry about the loss of your co-workers father.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4112218

Sally Thanks! Im not really sure how I got the picture! It took some body and camera angling, but I finally got the marina and the moon. Its pretty amazing here with the clouds. They are completely different in every direction. Rhubarb sounds delicious! I cant wait to see your garden when it blooms. The asters are brilliant!
Rann Sounds like youve had a blustery day! Ive done the store redux trips countless times! LOL!
Kiska Great picture!!

77.0 F / 25.0 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 72 F / 22 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the ESE
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
Clouds: Few 1700 ft / 518 m
Scattered Clouds 2600 ft / 792 m
Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft / 1676 m
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft / 4572 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Baxter & Boo snoozin (again)!!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4112247

Sharon: How I envy Baxter and Boo! LOL. Snoozin' is a favorite pastime of mine.
Rann: I love the color of that potentilla.
Kiska: You photo says it all: summer's over. :(

Today's hi was 81. Low tonight 69. A bit humid.
I can't remember the last time it rained, but it's been at least 3 weeks. Arrghh!

Kelli: I hope you're out having fun somewhere and the fires are nowhere near you!
Deb
(Our front steps tonight.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #4112393

DebinSc - What a nice Halloween pic! I did two wheelbarrow loads of plant material debris today - mostly daylily leaves.

I need to start two trays of daylily seedlings tomorrow. It s time. Even though our weather seems more like August.
High around 74, lush green growth from Fridays 2-1/4 in of rain.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #4112665

Kiska; it's vegetable beef soup and I put everything in it but the kitchen sink--just whatever is on hand. It always tastes better the 2nd day but DH and I had lunch and supper from it today. It really wasn't ready for lunch but DH couldn't wait --he just had to have a bowl, so I joined him.

Still raining and temp on my back porch right now is 58*F. supposed to drop down to around 48*F tonight.
I have a brother in Fountain Valley CA (Orange County) I am going to call him right now and see if they are threatened by the fires out there. We haven't heard from him so I hope no news is good news!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4112717

High of upper 40s today. Low of high 30s tonight.

It was a cold and wet rainy day. Rained this morning then it quit but it was still cold and wet and just plain miserable.

Finally got an hour long catnap after work. It helped alot. Still not up to full speed but that won't take long hopefully.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #4112754

Helluu! Everybody! It's been a really nice, gloomy day! :D The temp at noon was 57* & it did some sprinkling off and on all day. We're supposed to get more tonight & tomorrow, with more predicted for the rest of the week (thru Friday)! :D I was gonna try to get some fall pics today, but forgot to put the batteries in the camera (again). They're in there now, so will take rain drop pics, too! :D

Thanks, everybody...! JW is a real sweetie...he has learned to laugh out loud! :D So much Fun! :D I'm hoping that Emily can download the pics from her c-phone so I can share them with you all. :D He likes "sporting" her sunglasses! :D

Sally, Glad to "see" you back! :D Your yard is looking really good! (love the red!) & the new garden patch will look good when you get it finished next spring...Do you know what you will plant in it? Your yard is so GREEN! (don't mind me...I'm just envious...what grass I do have is brown)
Deb, Love the "punkins"! We go tomorrow to pick out ours.
Kiska, Your butterfly is covered! I have brought most of my flowers indoors (except for the mums), now I'm waiting for you to send down some snow! :D
Sharon, the kitties look cozy! :D
Pepper, Glad that you got in a nap...around here we call a "cat-nap" a "power-nap".
Adina! Looks as if you have what I call "blustery" weather...chilly & very, very windy! :-O
Dyson, Have you gotten any rain today? :D I'm worried for Kelli, too.

The answer to the days trivia is...C
Hot air rises because it is lighter. Clouds are in the sky because water vapor is actually lighter than air.

Have a Good Nite...
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

dottik
Oakland, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #4112793

Music2Keep - I think I'll go with A

It finally quit raining Saturday night and yesterday and today were just beautiful. Mid 70's, bright sunshine, winds light and variable. It's supposed to be nice again tomorrow, then after that it begins to look a little iffy.

It's a shame about the fires and the Santa Ana winds, isn't it? The TV has just recently said that 265,000 people have been evacuated. I'm more than happy that I don't live down in Southern California (as a born Northern Californian I have the same feelings most have - let's give the Southern part back to Mexico - Hehehehe) it's got to be really frightening to have any of those fires in the area.

I sure hope Kelli is OK. Dotti

Edited to say: Whoops, I was typing as you posted, Music2Keep. That's why I guessed an answer after you had given it. Dotti

This message was edited Oct 22, 2007 6:41 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #4112923

I just spoke to my brother in CA and the nearest fire is about 7 miles from him due East. He doesn't seem to be concerned about it reaching his area and he said he was surprised that the news said 250,000+ people had been evacuated, but he said it could be possible that there were that many--he really didn't know. He doesn't get too excited about much of anything--pretty laid back--so even if he is worried, he wouldn't tell me about it. He did say they were starting to be able to smell the smoke. 7 miles sounds awfully close to me.

I'm surprised that C was the answer, Joey. Hot humid air seems to be so oppressive (that's what we have down here in the summer) that I couldn't believe it is the lightest air!

Still raining.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4112937

According to this AP article (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3762715), a lot of the people who were evacuated were in San Diego County, where there are also a lot of fires burning. Awful...
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2007
9:02 AM

Post #4113589

Dark, 64(F)

Relative Humidity: 88%
Wind: 120 (ESE) at 8mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 48F
Yesterday's High Temp: 77F
Dew Point: 61
Visibility: 8mi
Ceiling: 2800ft
Heat Index: 64
Wind Chill: 64
6hr Low Temp: 68F
6hr High Temp: 71F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2007
10:00 AM

Post #4113625

Deb I love all the pumpkins and how the window casts an orangey light!
Se_eds I need to start planting daylilys. Ive become addicted to them!
Marsue Im glad your brother is safe. Please keep us posted, 7 miles sounds pretty darn close to me too. Veggie beef soup sounds good. I wasnt feeling well yesterday and had chicken noodle for breakfast! LOL!
Pepper Im glad you got some sleep; life will be calm again soon.
Joey Your mums are looking good! Mine are budding, but no blooms yet. Im very surprised at the answer, but if you think about it hot air rises! Duh!

75.6 F / 24.2 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 90%
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 75 F / 24 C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
Clouds: Few 1100 ft / 335 m
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m

Today
Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

It was a dreary gloomy day here yesterday. If it wasnt raining then it looked like it should be raining. The bunnyrainmeter recorded 1 yesterday. Were looking at record heat (90*+) today. That giant whining sound you heard was Me with a good dose of pouting in the middle! :P

I hope my poinsettia blooms a lot this year! It's about 5' tall now.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2007
10:19 AM

Post #4113647

It is raining here now - light rain, but better than no rain!

Edited to add - the solar porch floodlight is still holding up.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2007 6:23 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2007
11:27 AM

Post #4113745

Happy Birthday Marylyn!!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #4113851

Good Morning! Gee! The temp went UP! It is now 65* & getting lighter outside.

Happy Birthday Marylyn!!! :D

Dyson, Glad that it's Raining! :D I think & hope that we get more today! :D Glad the solar light is holding up so you can see the rain in the Dark! :D
Sharon, I hope your Poinsettia blooms profusely! and I can't wait to see it! :D
Marsue, We have very humid summers here as well, but I have noticed that you can see that the humidity rises to the tops of our many ridges & looks like clouds. I get my trivia info from the local tv weather service.
LOL! Dotti! I have done cross-posted so much it has now become funny! :D
Marylyn, This morning on NBC they were also talking about northern L.A. county, but I do believe that the devistation in the San Diego area is more extensive...We can only hope & pray that she is OK.

Todays trivia question is...
What do meteorologists call lines of constant pressure on a weather map?
a) Isobars
b) Isotherms
c) Isodrosotherms
d) Isotachs

Have a Good Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #4114019

Happy Birthday to Marylyn in Texas from this Marilyn in Arkansas!
Joey, gorgeous photo of fall color! My mums are still budding--should be blooming soon. I'm saying the answer to the Trivia Question is A.
Dyson, is it always dark in WV? LOL
Sharon, hope you are feeling better today and won't have to eat chicken noodle soup for breakfast! Beautiful poinsettia! Do take another pic for us when it blooms. I had 3 poinsettias in pots inside at my other house but left them for the new owner. Still kicking myself for not bringing one of them with me but I didn't think I would have room for them over here--this house is smaller than the other one and we had to sell some furniture, etc. It wouldn't all fit into this house. that's okay with me--the other was too much to keep clean.
Temp on my back porch at 7:45 was 50 degrees. More rain forecast for today. Wish we could share it with the folks in California and Georgia who need it so much more than we do!
This is a pic of my brother's house in CA.

Thumbnail by marsue

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 23, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #4114406

Happy Birthday to all that I have missed...sorry, just kinda' dozed through them.

Looked up Kelli's addy on google...25 miles NW of downtown L.A. Sure hope she's not affected by fire or smoke!

Here's an awesome link to the Univ of Wisc. showig the fires from satallite.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/2007/10/22/wildfires-in-southern-california-part-2/

Some rain off and on here, temps down to high 80's daily, but humidity running about 90%. Need to take a walk in bathing suit! LOL

~~~~~ to all, now dozzzzzzzzzzzzing off again.
Pati

Rain

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 23, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #4114701

Happy Birthday,Marylyn ! I wish you have a wonderful day !

Sounds awerful what's happening in CA,LA and San Diego ! I hope Kelli is OK !

Joey, how wonderful about little JW,learning to laugh out loud !Looking forward to see the pics !Beautiful mums !

Sharon,what sweet kitties!Your poinsettia looks great!Mine aren't so bushy, but I hope they bloom beautifully too!

Deb,I see you're getting ready for the Halloween !Such fun!

Kiska,beautiful ice floes! 38!?Brrrrrr!

Rann,that far is the store? More opportunity for getting pictures !LOL

Marsue,your brother's house is beautiful !I hope the fire doesn't reach it !

The trees are turning here ,but I couldn't take any picture because of the bad weather. Hopefully,tomorrow the rain will stop.It stopped today for a few hours too and the sun came out of the clouds. At least is getting warmer.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2007
4:59 PM

Post #4114811

Joey - You are getting some color changes! Very pretty picture!
Marilyn - Your brothers house is veyr pretty! I truly hope he is safe from the fires.
Pati - Thanks for the link! I didn't think to google Kelli's address. We're praying for her.
Adina - Love the daisy's - they're so happy!

85.7 F / 29.8 C
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 2.2 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 14.0 mph / 22.5 km/h
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 92 F / 33 C
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

This Afternoon
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #4115002

Sharon - shame on you for spoiling that cat like that. Pretty soon you will be letting it sleep indoors!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #4115475

LOL Dyson!

Thank you, everyone! So far I'm having a busy but good birthday. :-) The weather couldn't be even a little nicer! It is beautifully clear, the humidity is amazing low (for Houston.. Blooms with a View would probably think it was pretty muggy! LOL) and 68 with a slight breeze. Gorgeous.. Now that I'm home from running here there and everywhere, I need to go around and open all of the windows.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (14 min ago)
Temperature 68 F 20 C
Dew Point 35 F 2 C
Humidity 29%
Pressure 30.13 in 1020.4 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH
G 28 14 kts
G 24
Wind Dir WNW 290
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 26 kts from 320 (19:10 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 48.0F / 8.9C

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #4115664

Happy Birthday Marylyn!!! May you have a year of 'just right' weather.
Pati according to this map those fires may be right there at Kelli's door. I pray she and all that she loves is/are okay.
Sally great to see you back. Is retirement too hard on ya'll?;)
Sunny, 76.
Sidney

This message was edited Oct 23, 2007 5:10 PM

Thumbnail by sugarweed

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 23, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #4115713

Thanks Sugar. This is the thread over on the CA Forum...really sad reading. I'm sure they would appreciate all the T & P they can get.
Pati
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/782824/
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #4116131

Marilyn: Hope you're still having a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Joey: I'm saying A, Isobars.
Adina: Love those perfect little daisies.
Dyson: Happy to see you had some rain. If you get to the point where you have enough, send some south, will ya?
Sharon: Great big ole Poinsettia. Can't wait to see it bloom. I have recently received some passiflora seeds. I know you have an amazing one. Do you know if they will grow in part shade?

Felt like still summer here today. Hi was 85. Low tonight 69.
Clouded over several times. Nothing fell out of 'em, tho.
Dyson Dark and 81. Breezy.

Kelli: Hoping you have no fire near your house!
Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #4116456

Heard the rain was heading Dyson's way today.

High 60s and sunny today. Very nice. Tonight will get down to mid 40s.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #4116740

Good Evening All! Well, not much to tell, except we haven't had much rain...mostly sprinkles. Dyson, I hope you are getting rain...Bluefield said that we are 9 inches below norm & they have had more rain than we have had. I did, however find some color coming home from school today! :D

Still Really Worried about Kelli...

Adina, Thanks...

Marsue, Thanks...

Kiska, is your sister all right? I know that she lives in Ca., but I don't know where. Very concerned for those folks out there.

The Answer to the trivia is...A
Isobar maps help meteorologists see where storm systems are centered and where fronts are.

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #4117065

33*, dark and snow coming this way...
Joey - what a beautiful picture; reminds me of a jigsaw puzzle I did many years ago. My sister, SacValley, is in Northern California, so is a few hundred miles from the fires. So sorry for all the displaced families and losses so far..
Happy Birthday Marylyn -- it's probably already tomorrow there, but not yet here:)
Dinner is ready;
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
9:55 AM

Post #4117423

Dyson LOL!! Glad you are getting some rain.
Marylyn Sounds like you had a great day!
Deb Some pfs do like partial shade. I have one (still small p.careaula) that prefers morning sun/afternoon shade. What kind do you have?
Pepper Ahhhh the temps sounds wonderful!
Joey GREAT pic! Give JW a big smoochie for me :) We're praying you and Dyson get some rain soon.
Kiska Brrr! Is that the Mantuska? So glad your sister and her family are safe from the fires.
Kelli - Our thoughts and prayers are with you - be safe.

74.8 F / 23.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 71 F / 22 C
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Pressure: 29.82 in / 1009.7 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 74 F / 23 C
Clouds: Few 1700 ft / 518 m
Mostly Cloudy 3900 ft / 1188 m

Now
Through 730 am...scattered showers will continue across the area... with an isolated thunderstorm possible. Showers will be most numerous along an axis from Brunswick to Jacksonville to Gainesville. Rainfall amounts through 730 am will generally be a quarter of an inch or less with locally heavier amounts.

Today
Mostly cloudy. Not as warm. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning...then showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the west in the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent.

We're going thru some changes here. We'll be cooler as Marylyn's front comes through our area (Thank you Marylyn)! Made lasagne last night for company - mmm mmm good! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2007
12:48 PM

Post #4117771

Good morning, all! Great pics, Kiska, Joey and Sharon.

It's overcast this morning with more rain predicted. I feel guilty reporting on the rain we've had here because there are so many across the country who need it so badly. I'll not even complain about the black spot on my roses--they'll live over it!
The temp dropped throughout the day yesterday--I had to wrap up in a blanket last night--the chill was getting through to my bones and yet we didn't want to turn on the heat quite this early.
The home-made soup was good again yesterday. We'll finish it off today.

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CDT

Light Rain
Feels Like: 48
Barometer: 29.94 in and steady
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 46
Wind: W 8 mph
Sunrise: 7:21 am
Sunset: 6:22 pm

I pray that all who need rain will get rain.
Have a good day everyone!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
12:57 PM

Post #4117800

Good morning! I'm glad our cool weather is heading your way, Sharon. It was colder here than at my parents' house in Ohio yesterday, which always amuses us. It's going to be another nice day today, although the humidity is up quite a bit. My big bunny (age 6) has an appointment with an oral surgeon today. There is a baby molar that has never come up in her mouth. We had a dentist appointment last month and he took an X-ray and found it in her jaw. Its roots are wrapped around a nerve and there is a cyst forming around it, so it has to come out. (sigh..) I'm not looking forward to this at all. It's considered a dental procedure, so our medical insurance won't cover it. Grrrr...

Praying for Kelli and the rest of the folks in California...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (58 min ago)
Temperature 46 F 8 C
Dew Point 39 F 4 C
Humidity 79%
Pressure 30.12 in 1020.1 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir W 260
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 45.0F / 7.2C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 50.0F / 10.0C
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #4117917

Marylyn - All of my wisdom teeth wrapped their roots around my jaw. I had to go through 2 surgeries to get them as well as 2 baby molars removed. I feel for your bunny; it's not fun, but she'll be fine!

Luckily at the time mine was covered by insurance.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:32 PM

Post #4117931

Still praying Kelli and her place are okay.
Its in the 70s here with a mist.
;)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #4117978

I am on a Linux drive, haven't figured out how to get the wx channel desktop to work w/it yet, the batteries died in the remote temp thingy on the back porch so I have no idea what the temp is - I refuse to fire up a television to find out.

It is comfortable w/the windows open and a small fan in one of them. It is very overcast and I am hopeing for some more rain (not to be greedy but still need water).
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #4117994

Dyson, what's your zip?
;)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2007
1:50 PM

Post #4118017

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #4118029

Here's WU's report;
Smith Mountain Lake @ Hales Ford Bridge, Moneta, Virginia
Elevation: 825 ft / 251 m
72.2 F / 22.3 C
Overcast
Dew Point: 68 F / 20 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h from the ESE
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph / 4 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Rising)

That seem about right?
How's the hip?
Sidney

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #4118069

72 outside and w/the fan I've got it down to 78 inside so far, it was 80 when I got up at 3 am. The hip is okey unless I try to work on something that is too low to the ground, when I get into the wrong position it will and does "talk" too me - basicly it lets me know how dumb I really am for trying that. Other than that I am busy praying for rain, trying to sort out some of the mess this place has become (lots of dumpster trips) etc.

Boredom initself is an issue, We shall endevor to persavere.

Edited to say: I am going to switch back to a windows HD so I can play a game (S).

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 10:09 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #4118165

Well, make a liar out of me, will you sunshine! I had no sooner made the post above till the clouds started breaking up and the sun came out!! Now it is partly cloudy and the sun has found another cloud to hide behind but that's okay. It's good to know that it is still up there--LOL!

Sorry about your little bunny, Marylyn. I feel for her!

Here's a pic I took right after the sun came out.

Thumbnail by marsue

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #4118241

Good Morning! We have had a nice, gentle rain almost all night. And we're supposed to get more of it today...justed started back up. The mums & birds are lovin'it! ;D

Dyson, I hope this rain we're getting will make a big difference for you.
Thanks Sharon...I gave JW a big "smoochie" for ya & he gave me one of those toothless grins! :D And I love the pinks & blues in the last pic! Wow!
Thanks Kiska...I'm glad that your sis is not in harms way. I Hope the winds die down there soon. Is there fish (Salmon) in the river? :D Love that pic! :D ( I love jigsaw puzzles too- http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/yourshot/jigsaw-puzzle.html )
Thanks Marsue...Looks as if the sun is Brightly shining at your house! Your grass is so Green! Maybe ours will be green after this great rain. :D

Todays trivia is...
Why don't you hear any thunder after "heat lightning"?
a) It's too warm outside
b) It didn't strike anything
c) It's too far away
d) It's not as powerful

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #4118364

Just finished the last of the lemon cake - not too bad for store bought - wounder what Sue will have for dinner this evening?

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
3:20 PM

Post #4118382

LOL! Dyson! You didn't save her any?!! :D I hope that she wasn't counting on haing some this evening! :D
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #4118397

She will find something to eat. I'll probably fire up the grill for hamburgers - that way we may get some rain.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #4118493

Sharon was so smart and ask about Canoga Park on that Ca thread.
Quoting:MySharona - Canoga Park is fine. The air is full of smoke but no fire near there. Canoga Park is a ways from any danger.

So far we have one friend that has lost a home in Running Springs. He was out of the country on vacation till yesterday. He lost everything.

Has anyone heard from wcgypsy

Just felt such relief reading that I had to share.

Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #4118518

I still want to know where my sons are - I have not seen either of them since the oldest Kenny's HS graduation in ... '98 I think, sent Dennis some money for a bus ticket out here from Ca. ... no show, does not matter if he is ok, they could call collect, if they could get my number (gave it to them long ago). Will just wait as if there was more I could do. Do not have their mothers number but can email her.

Edited to say - emailed her - waiting reply.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 12:38 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #4118828

Hi everyone - I just wanted to post our weather really quick - have to run back to work. SO glad Kelli's area isn't in danger.

I'll post more later

68.5 F / 20.3 C WooooooooHooooooo!!!!!! LOL!!!
Light Rain Mist
Dew Point: 65 F / 18 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 3.2 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 800 ft / 243 m
Mostly Cloudy 1200 ft / 365 m
Overcast 3000 ft / 914 m

Now
Through 215 PM...scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms continue to move north through the Florida Peninsula into southeast Georgia. The heaviest activity will move into Orange Park...the Westside and downtown Jacksonville. Thunderstorms have also moved into the nearshore coastal waters east of Ponte Vedra Beach...Jacksonville Beach and Saint Simons Island. The showers are moving northeast at 20 miles an hour.

Clouds...Dyson & Joey trying to send to you!

Thumbnail by MySharona

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #4118853

Thanks Darius. I was just over there and saw that too. If you remember we used to have fires in the Smokies, but never lost homes etc. like they do in CA. Just give me a hurricane anytime! It may blow your roof off, but at least you have something to start over with. Those fires just devastate everything, even the earth.

((Dyson)) hope you hear good news about your sons soon.
Pati

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #4118946

Sharon, so far today I have had a 1/2" of rain! :D Please send More! :D We need about 8 1/2 more inches! (but not all at once)

Whew! I am so glad that Canoga missed it!

Dyson, hope that you here from them soon...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 24, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #4118955

Joey,wonderful trees on those hills!
Kiska,that pic of the river is so beautiful !
Sharon,what a terribles torm! Did it come to you ?Love Boo's new place !
Pati,thanks for posting the link.I hope everyone is safe back there!One of my DG friends,who is no longer a subscriber,peterson89,was very concerned yesterday about the fires who were approaching her home. I haven't heard from her today!Just praying for her and her DH to be safe !
Our weather is better now,the clouds were gone today and the sun was shinning.I had to go and take some shots.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #4118994

Good morning - 10am ~~ 30*
Snowed last night and now that the ground is freezing up, icy conditions are here. Even the deck is too icy now, for me, w/out ice cleats. I've really become cautious in the past couple of years of the ice; it's everywhere underfoot and so, cleats are my new friends for the next few months. (can't believe it's come to this:))
The news of the fires is just devasting; so many affected by them, it's hard to comprehend those numbers.
marsue - what a beautiful yard you have; the brick work is so nice. And, I'm sure the soup has been great; time to start a new one?
Dyson~do hope you hear from your sons -
MySharona - 68 sounds positively wonderful...nice clouds pic, too. It is the Matanuska River; hope you can come see it for yourself someday.
music2keep - as long as you're passing out smooches to JW, I'll take one too, please:) Those baby grins are the best. Yes, salmon do run in the Matanuska River, in a few months from now.
Marylyn_TX- The procedure will be but just a memory soon, but in the meantime, please let her know there are people all over the country that wish her well..
adina - what a beautiful photo; sure hope you hear that all's well w/your friend.
Thanks, sugarweed, for the update.
Iced over pond, taken a few days ago, before last night's snowfall and from here on out, will be snowcovered.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 24, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #4119006

Hey,Joey, beautiful picture!Sending from Romania lots of rain too,we have floods up north!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 24, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #4119024

Kiska,snow looks beautifuland I really love it! We should expect it early this year too,in November,or so the forecast says .
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #4119059

Such great photos everyone! We still have no fall color here--we haven't yet had a frost. It is 58*F on my backporch right now but it seems cooler than that. The clouds have returned and the wind is blowing slightly so we might very well get more rain later today. After seeing your temp, Kiska, I don't suppose I should complain about being cold--LOL

edited to say that there is still enough soup left for a bowl for me and one for DH and I think I'll go have some right now! :o)

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 1:34 PM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #4119366

We're back.. Today's appointment was for more x-rays (which the bunny thinks is fun), and a consultation. Man, the surgeon was YOUNG!! I think that officially makes me old. LOLOL He was nice, though. He is going to consult with the orthodontist that he works with and will call me on Friday to tell me what and when they recommend doing the surgery. He thinks that for now they will go in and clean out the cyst, but leave the tooth in and see if it can come up on its own when the cyst is out of the way. He didn't mention the roots wrapped around the nerve thing, though.. We'll see what he says on Friday. :-) Afterward we went to the library and then played in a park until it was time to pick up the little bunny from school. It's a gorgeous day again... It could just stay like this for a couple of weeks (or months) and we'd be very very happy!

Adina, your pictures are gorgeous!

Kiska, yours are cold! LOL I'm a klutz, so I think cleats would be my friend, too, if I lived up there.

I'm glad to hear that Canoga Park is fine.. I hope we hear from Kelli soon. Thanks for asking, Sharon! And thanks for passing the message along, Sidney. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 78 F 26 C
Dew Point 45 F 7 C
Humidity 30% - The windows are open again!!
Pressure 29.98 in 1015.4 mb
Wind Speed 18 MPH
G 28 16 kts
G 24
Wind Dir NW 320
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 77 F 25 C
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 28 kts from 350 (19:32 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 46.0F / 7.8C
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #4119885

Marsue Glad you got some sunshine! Thats a pretty spot in the lawn. Pull up a chair, have a glass of wine (or whatever) and enjoy the skies!
Dyson Linux = hfruiqytuhaghjah (supposed to be Greek to me)! LOL!! Im clueless when it comes to drives! Did Sue want Lemon cake after dinner? Im the same way with a true Key Lime Pie! Its mine, mine, mine!! LOL!! I truly hope you hear from your sons soon.
Joey Thanks! YAY! Rain!! Heres hoping you get lots more in small doses! Thanks for the link to the puzzles! I LOVE puzzles! Your Fall pics are beeeeyouuuteeeful!
Sidney So glad you found that post on the CA thread. I was at work and couldnt check it. I miss Kelli and her dry (no pun intended) humorstill praying for her.
Adina The storm ended up being not as bad as it looked. Lots of rain, but no punch to it. Your Fall pics are gorgeous too! Were praying for your friend too.
Kiska I took a pretty nasty fall a couple of years ago. Wish Id had cleats on then I still have pains in certain areas resulting from that fall. CLEATS are good! DH and I are tentatively planning a trip to AK around July (esp the Palmer area)! Im very excited! Ill have lots of questions for you in the coming months! I cant wait to see your area and the majestic Mantuska!
Marylyn So glad your bunnys appt went well. Hopefully she wont have to undergo anything major.

67.1 F / 19.5 C YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! LOL!
Mostly Cloudy
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Pressure: 29.82 in / 1009.7 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 900 ft / 274 m
Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Mostly Cloudy 4500 ft / 1371 m

Now
Scattered showers and patchy light rain was located from Interstate 75 in southern Marion County to Putnam Hall and Spuds. Through 645 PM...this activity will move north northeast at 20 miles per hour toward Ocala...Orange Springs...Interlachen...Palatka...and the Interstate 95 corridor west of St Augustine. Rainfall amounts will be light...mostly less than a tenth of an inch.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy until midnight then becoming partly cloudy. Cooler. Showers likely and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s. Northwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

More clouds

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #4119921

adina - fall is beautiful there; seems like it happened quickly once it was underway. Very pretty.
MySharona~~how exciting that you're planning a trip up..fly or drive? Look forward to seeing you . Those are some very impressive clouds you've posted. Temp looks good too..Sounds like it was quite a fall you took..
It's now up to 32* at 2:30pm. Cloudy.
MarylynT_X~~so glad you'll have a bit more time to learn more about the dental work ahead for little bunny. Hope all goes well.
edited to make name change from marsue to mysharona:) sorry...but would love to see any of you up here...

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 9:08 PM

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 9:09 PM

Thumbnail by kiska

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #4119951

Good Evenin'! I just looked at the rain-o-meter! We've had 1 & 3/4 inches! :D Yippee!

Dyson...I hope that you have gotten this much! :D

Marylyn, Glad that things went well for the bunny today! :D I hope it all turns out well for her.

Thanks Adina...You've got some great color going on there as well! Thanks for the rain, too ;)

Kiska..Will DO! ;D I love that next to last pic! WOW! I have gotta have it for my winter desktop! And your temp is a prime snow fall temp for here! :D

Marsue, When you get the fall color...please post them!

Sharon, Enjoy the puzzles! I wish that they would put up somemore...I've worked them all, already.

Have a good evevning all! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
10:55 PM

Post #4119956

Have you seen these, Joey? http://www.allstarpuzzles.com/picture/index.html
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #4120086

Hi everyone:
Lots of catching up to do! Big news here. We got 1/2" of rain!!! yay. First time in about 3 weeks. 1/2" down, and only about 18" to go to catch up. :)
I have to stop watering soon because the lake that all our water comes from is getting too low. Really hoping they are wrong about the forecast for a "dry" winter here.

Sharon: I'm with you on the Key Lime pie! It's hard to find the real thing round here.
The PF I have is actually Passiflora incarnata/purple passion flower. Supposed to be hardy to zone 7.
Joey: Congrats on you rain! I guess, D - not as powerful.
Dyson: You getting any more rain? Hope your sons contact you.
Sidney: Thanks for the info bout Kelli's area.
Adina: Gorgeous fall color! Wow!

Currently cloudy and 75. Still a chance for more rain. Fingers crossed!
Only down to 62 tonight. No fall color here for a while. This is the closest we have. Nandina - but it always goes red early.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #4120131

Joey, I will post some photos of fall color when/if we get any--we haven't had our first frost yet.
I must have lemon ice box pie on my mind because the pics of yellow flowers make me hungry!

Glad the little bunny didn't have to have oral surgery today, Marylyn.

Dyson, sure hope you hear something about your sons in CA soon.

I took this photo of the sunset just a few minutes ago. What makes it different is that this photo is facing East--not West. I was going to take some with a westward view also, but my batteries ran out of "juice".

Current temp on my back porch is 58*F.

edited to say: we cross-posted Deb. Congrats on the rain, maybe you'll get some more of the rain that came through here the last 3 days. great photo, too!

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #4120803

Another inch of rain from last night and today. We are blessed.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2007
5:26 AM

Post #4121157

It's 9pm, 31* and been snowing for a few hours.
DebinSC - so glad you've got a bit of a start on the 18" you need. Must be hard to consider not being able to water as much as you need. What a nice shade of pinks/reds going on.
se_eds ~~ happy, too, that it's raining in your area.
marsue~~such a pretty sunset; your yard is great.
Thanks, music2keep; now that it's snowing, the pond will lose some of the character as the snow covers all.
Kiska
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2007
7:54 AM

Post #4121252

Dark - lot of rain last evening

56(F)

Relative Humidity: 86%
Wind: 40 (NE) at 11mph
Gusts: 16mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 57F
Yesterday's High Temp: 72F
Dew Point: 51
Ceiling: 2100ft
Heat Index: 55
Wind Chill: 55
6hr Precip: 0.76in
6hr Low Temp: 56F
6hr High Temp: 62F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
10:05 AM

Post #4121312

Kiska Were planning on flying then renting a car. DH loves to drive I love to sightsee and take lots of pictures! We were looking at doing the Alaskan Railroad, but it looks like a day trip only. Were still working out the kinks, but Palmer is definitely on! Great picture!
Jeoy So glad you got a substantial amount of rain! It makes a difference. Love the mum brilliant yellow!
Deb You got rain too! YAY! Let me know if you want me to send you a true key lime pie! Or some key limes so you can make your own! Not a problem! Have you been on the passion vine forum? The Nandina is gorgeous love the color!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/passifloras/all/
Marsue dont you love it when the sky turns all pinks and blues? Very pretty sunset.
Se_eds Congrats on the rain you received as well! We are blessed.
Dyson Can I stop dancing now? LOL! Congrats on your rainfall as well!
Kelli - We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

63.9 F / 17.7 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 57 F / 14 C
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Patchy fog early in the morning. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 mph shifting to the north in the afternoon.

I am LOVING this weather! We're in store for more rain today. I'm praying everyone get the rain they need. Break in the rain yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2007
10:31 AM

Post #4121338

Good morning! Lots of catching up to do - wonderful photos everyone!

The wind's blowing at 35 mph, gusting to 51 mph from the south it's raining and 50F. We're supposed to get a big storm tomorrow and then it's supposed to cool down. Looks like the end of fall tomorrow and then winter's supposed to be here with frost and possibly snow on Saturday. Looks like next week will be cold so it seems winter will be settling in very soon ... It's been blustery and wet all week, but the temp's been really nice. Not looking forward to the cold at all ... :-S

Sharon - good thinking to ask about Kelli's area - so glad that she seems to be safe.

Deb- love the jack-o- lanterns. I'm gonna see if I find a pumpkin somewhere and make one for the girls since they're all excited about Halloween this year ;-)

Adina and Joey - gorgeous fall colors! :-)

Kiska - you're just ahead of me but according to the forecast it looks like things will be looking like that over here all too soon ;-) Looks very pretty but I'm getting spoiled with these 50F temps ... they feel so much nicer than 30F! LOL

marsue - beautiful sunset :-)

Sharon - One of my regrets is not trying Key Lime Pie when in FL - I've heard so much about it ;-)

This photo was taken a few minutes ago in my front yard

Hope you all have a great day!

Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2007
11:55 AM

Post #4121485

Good Morning! :D Our temp is 58 & the rain-o-meter says 3 1/4! :D It was raining when I went to bed & it's still raining! And I have the cleanest dog in town! :D He normally doesn't like being rained on, but has been out playing in it...gone thru lots of towels playing the "towel dry game"! :D Se_eds said it right..."We are blessed".

Dyson, Do you have a rain guage? I certainly hope that you are getting the amount I'm getting...Last night up on Peters Mtn. 4" was reported.
Kiska, Thanks for taking that pic before it has a substancial amount of snow on it!
Rann, Looks like you have had plenty of the wet stuff & lots of Wind!, but winter coming tomorrow? :-O
Marylyn, I haven't seen puzzles like those before...LOL! Maybe you shouldn't have shown me! I worked on one for an hour last night! and I should have been studying my math! :D
Marsue, what is a lemon ice box pie? It sounds like something I would like.
Deb, I Love the Nandina! Gorgeous! And glad that you have gotten some rain as well..I didn't realize that you hadn't had much rain...Hope that you get enough so you won't have to ration the water on your flowers! I had to do that, but only because I didn't have time to water everything, so I opted to water just the potted plants (and my one & only Azalea, which is trying to rebloom)

Edited to say..Sharon! I want to go with you!!!

The answer to the trivia is...C
"Heat Lightning" is just a folksy term for lightning that is so far away that you don't hear the thunder.

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

This message was edited Oct 25, 2007 7:57 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #4121587

Still have not purchased a rain gauge - It is on the list, you know the never ending list.

raining good here
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #4122192

Great photos everyone!
Sharon your sky looks like ours except over here there is no sun peeking through the clouds at all today! and I want to go to Alaska, too! (maybe we could all rent a bus--do you have room for all of us, Kiska? LOL)
Rann: Your front yard is great--love the little bridge. Is that a small pond underneath it?
Kiska: snow--brrrr!
Joey: I will try to find a recipe for lemon ice box pie. It's yummy if you like a pie that is slightly tart. My DH doesn't like them but I do!
Dyson: you were certainly up early! It was "Dyson dark" and raining at 7 a.m. today when I took my granddaughter to school. I'll be glad when the time changes back to standard.
Here's a fashion statement: When I picked up my DGD she had on jeans with big holes at each knee and over the jeans she wore a short little flared skirt with ruffles Her top was a knit shirt with a sweater over it and she was wearing a cute little knitted cap on her head with a knitted flower attached to it and, oh yes, she had on black tennis shoes with green frogs that glow in the dark! . . .and they call that "being in style" Oh, my! LOL but she is really a good kid--musically talented, good grades, goes to church, doesn't give anyone any trouble --so who am I to call the 'fashion police" on her! :o)

No weather pic for today--batteries are out of juice and I haven't bought new ones yet--just ditto Sharon's pic from yesterday. LOL On second thought I think I'll send a photo of my DGD so you can see her for yourselves. This was her school photo in the Spring of 2006.

Thumbnail by marsue

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #4122260

What a princess.
I still want to hear from Ric and Kelli.
Cool, high today 76
Sunny, none the less.
Sidney
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
4:37 PM

Post #4122405

Rann Sounds to me like the storm is already there. Winter already! Brrrr!
Joey Youre showing us up on the mum front!! LOL! Theyre sooo pretty!
Dyson LOL! I have one of those lists too!
Marsue - Your ice box pie sounds delicious!
Marsue Your GD is lovely! Sweet picture!
Sidney Im with you I want to hear from Ric and Kelli too.

75.2 F / 24.0 C
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 45 F / 7 C
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
UV: 6 out of 16
Scattered Clouds 9000 ft / 2743 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Taken this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2007
5:14 PM

Post #4122524

Would you believe that I have never made Lemon Ice box Pie! Hard to believe because I love it so! LOL My mother used to make it but I have no idea what recipe she used. There is a restaurant in Greenbrier, AR where you can get good old-fashioned "down home" cooking. That is where I go whenever I feel the urge for lemon ice box pie. It is about 40 miles from where I live now otherwise, I would go there and ask Sheila, the cook, for the recipe. The restaurant is called The Green Cow and it is one of those places "where everybody knows your name". Sheila and Linda are the owners and they are sisters. When they have time, they go from table to table saying "Hi" and visiting with their customers. It's a great place! Next time I am over that way I will ask Sheila for her recipe but in the meantime, I went online and found, a TON of recipes, but I thought this one below must surely be the best one! I would not use one that called for using lemonade in it--that would not be a REAL Lemon Ice Box Pie!
I do like meringue on mine. Around our house when I was growing up there was never any problem with the meringue getting hard after being in the refrigerator a day or two--the pie never lasted that long!
Since this was online, I don't think there is any problem with it being copyrighted. I just copied and pasted it here. The note below the recipe is what was online, too. (I don't have a clue who the Parsons are.)

RECIPE
by Carrie May Jones, CEO (Cooker Extra Ordinaire)

Three (3) eggs (room temperature)
One-half cup of lemon juice (fresh is best)
(Micro-waving for a minute or less produces more juice)

One teaspoon grated lemon rind - using the outside only with as little of the white inner flesh as possible (also referred to as zest) Grate lemon rind before micro-waving and/or juicing lemons

One can of condensed milk

Separate the eggs (MAKE SURE no yolk gets into the whites!). Beat the egg yolks well. Add lemon juice and grated rind. Add milk. Mix well. Pour into a Graham cracker crust.

The next obvious step for a lemon ice box pie would be to make and apply the meringue. However, my boy and I have noticed that the meringue gets hard after several days in the refrigerator and we end up taking it off so we can get to the "goodie" part beneath. Besides, that meringue takes up a lot of valuable space which could be totally occupied by the "goodie" part so we instruct our cook to forget the meringue, double the goodie part (listed above) and bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes. If we want something on top, we will use some instant topping such as Cool Whip, Whipped Cream, Dream Whip, etc.

But for those of you who want that better-eat-it-quick-before-it-turns to-concrete meringue topping, here is the recipe:

For the meringue topping:

Three (3) egg whites from the above 3 separated eggs
One tablespoon water
A pinch of salt
One-fourth teaspoon cream of tartar
Five (5) tablespoons of sugar

The three (3) egg whites should be beaten in the large mixer bowl. Add one tablespoon of water and a pinch of salt. Beat on high until foamy and add one-fourth teaspoon cream of tartar. Beat until stiff. Add one tablespoon of sugar at a time (Mix well each addition) until 5 tablespoons have been added. Fold in one teaspoon of vanilla. Cover the top of the pie with meringue. Bake at 350 degrees F. until the top is a golden brown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This recipe is courtesy of Miss Carrie May Jones of Somerville, Tennessee. She is a good friend of the Parsons' family and is a retired Home Demonstration Agent for the Tennessee Agricultural Extension Service. She graduated from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville in 1940 with a B.S. in Home Management. She taught Home Economics in Friendship, Tennessee for 10-15 years, was Home Demonstration Agent in Dresden (Weakley County), Tennessee, for two years, and then finished her career as a Home Demonstration Agent in Somerville (Fayette County), Tennessee, from October 16, 1964 until March 31, 1985. She began a treasured friendship with the Parsons' family when she baked the refreshments for a bridal shower for Carolyn Tapp who became Mrs. Jerry Parsons on December 18, 1966. She and Jerry Parsons have collaborated on many of the recipes on PLANTanswers and we thank her for her guidance and cooking-recipe translations over the years.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 25, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #4122588

Hi everyone! You couldn't believe what just happened: while posting on the CAfire thread,I found another Romanian who is living in US! I'm so thrilled !
Also, I'm worried about Dyson,who posted there about a boy with long hair..is that your son,living in CA?
Kiska,wonderful picture!
Marsue,your DGD is so beautiful!Thanks for the recipe,sounds yummy!
Rann,your garden looks great,so many colors!
Marylyn,I hope your little bunny is OK!Any news about the young vet?LOL
Gramma Joey,wonderful mums!Glad you 've got rain !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #4123655

Joey: I'm hoping we won't get to the rationing or restriction stage ( as they have in GA and parts of NC). I haven't watered the lawn at all this season, or washed my car (it looks great ;>), but I have watered the plants and beds.

Rained around town today, but my rain guage still says 1/2". Good chance in the forecast through tomorrow tho.
Kinda cool, didn't get out of the 70s today. Upper 60s now.

Sounds like all of us may be moving into a wetter pattern. It's be great if it'd rain in so. Calif.

Deb
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #4123715

Marsue Thanks for the recipe - looks yummy!
Adina - Thats so exciting that you found a fellow countryman in the CA thread! Gorgeous pic!
Deb Hope youve received more rain!
Dyson You too!

Edited to change Kiska to Adina - LOL! Yesterday was a long day!

Lets all go to Kiska's in July!!

69.4 F / 20.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 3800 ft / 1158 m
Scattered Clouds 7000 ft / 2133 m
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft / 2743 m

Now
Through 830 PM...a narrow band of light showers and patchy rain will move to the area from Fernandina Beach southwest through Jacksonville to Green Cove Springs...Interlachen...and Ocklawaha. A few sprinkles may be felt along the Georgia coast. More showers and rain are moving in from the south. Rain will be approaching the villages and southern Marion County...while a band of rain and showers will move north along the coast moving toward Flagler Beach and Palm Coast.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. Lows in the lower 60s inland...in the mid 60s coast. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the north after midnight.

Almost missed this sunset tonight!

This message was edited Oct 26, 2007 5:42 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #4123883

Great photos, Adina and Sharon
Adina I am glad you found a Romanian friend in CA.--perhaps she will join this thread, too..

If any of you bakers actually make that lemon ice box pie, please let me know how it turns out for you. I would try if myself but as I said earlier, DH doesn't like the tart taste of it so I won't make a whole pie to have around just for myself--too much temptation! LOL
A really good lemon ice box pie should be sort of semi-transparent--not opaque like a cocoanut pie is. That's the best way I know how to describe it. Wish I had a picture of a piece of that pie to show you. LOL

Here's our forecast:
Tonight: Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. Low 43F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Tomorrow: Showers in the morning, then partly cloudy in the afternoon. High near 60F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Tomorrow night: A few clouds. Low 43F. Winds light and variable.

The sun is supposed to shine upon us again on Saturday with all next week being lovely autumn weather once again. Hooray! We have certainly had enough rain for awhile. I wish I could say the same for those of you who need it so badly.
Have a good evening, everyone! --and thanks for the compliments on my DGD.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #4124369

Helluu! Well...Sharon! :D Me thinks you have danced a little too much! :D My rain-o-meter says 4 & 7/8 inches! I might add that there's not much run-off either! I haven't seen any puddles anywhere! But that's ok...I've been "singin' in the rain"! :D and there's more in the forecast.

Deb, I could send you some water!... :D
Dyson, Are you floating yet? :D Did you find your son? I really hope so.
Thanks Sharon, I'm glad that you didn't miss that sunset! Wow!
Thanks Marsue, the pie sounds scrumpteous! And your DGD is so pretty! :D
Thanks Adina, Glad that you found a "compadre"! from Romania! Love the fall color! in that tree! :D

Kelli!! ??

Have a good evening - All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 26, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #4124391

It's nearly 7pm, so I'm sure it's nearly midnight, or later, in many places.
Dark, wind warnings, 36* was the high, as it is now. It snowed last night and is in the forecast tonight, w/rain...a real mess.
Wow~~here in July - who knows?
MySharona - in my opinion, the train is a must do somehow..there is nothing like the Alaska RRoad; you can take a trip from Anchorage to Whitter, take the Prince William Sound boat tour, then return to Anchorage the same day. (and you get to go through the tunnel)>
You could go from Anchorage to Spencer Glacier, and return, in the same day.
The web site, if I recall, alaskatravel, has lots of idea.
marsue~ your GD is beautiful.
Loved seeing everyone's day through pics.
m2k~ I can just picture Jack having a great time as you play the towel game..Bet it was entertaining, too, to JW>
rann - sounds like quite a change headed your way. love your yard and the bridge is still a favorite of mine.
DebinSC- just wanted to mention that I really liked your pumpkin path, very cute.
taken a few days ago at the Matanuska River.
Kiska

This message was edited Oct 25, 2007 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
6:04 AM

Post #4124703

Dark, 52(F), Rain

Wife 1 emailed and let me know the boys are ok She is flying out to Ca to visit them this weekend. Hope she tells them to email me.

Relative Humidity: 93%
Wind: 30 (NNE) at 6mph
Pressure: 30.27in
Yesterday's Precip: 2.15in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 52F
Yesterday's High Temp: 57F
Dew Point: 52
Visibility: 3mi
Ceiling: 1600ft
Heat Index: 54
Wind Chill: 54
6hr Precip: 0.18in
6hr Low Temp: 53F
6hr High Temp: 54F

Edited to add - Now we are under a flood watch? Sharon you can stop dancing now.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2007 3:02 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007

Post #4124775

Marsue Im going to make your pie and will let you know how it tastes sounds delicious! I love tart fruit pies!
Joey I stopped dancing 2 days ago I was whipped! LOL! The rain is just making up for lost time, esp since there arent any puddles. I bet Jack had a grand time playing in the rain. Prissy loves the towel game too she gets that fierce growl and shakes her head the snorts (Bostons snort a lot!)! Love that little pink flower!
Deb Are you getting any more rain?
Kiska Sounds like you had a nasty weather night. A perfect night to sit by the fireplace with a hot toddy! Im going to tell DH about the RR; it sounds like fun to me. Thanks for the link! Winter is there, no doubt about it!
Dyson So glad your sons are okay. I truly hope they contact you asap. Were praying for you and them.

65.5 F / 18.6 C
Overcast
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m
Overcast 3300 ft / 1005 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Showers likely in the morning...then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

It's ben raining/sprinkling off and on since yesterday. We've had over 1" of rain and there aren't any puddle to be found. That's what I love about a good slow soaker. It's Florida/Georgia (85th Annual) weekend again a/k/a The Worlds Largest Cocktail Party (we're so proud). We are surrounded by Gators and Bulldogs this week and weekend. The crowds started pulling into RV City last Saturday. These people are serious! They come from all over and wreak havoc on our little island. For the most part we rarely have any problems, but we tend to stay off the roads as much as possible.

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Recreation and Community Services/Special Events/FlaGa/default.htm

Another picture from last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2007
11:55 AM

Post #4124939

Good morning!

Sharon - you were right - the storm blew through yesterday and last night. It's much "calmer" now ;-) Only 11 mph winds from the south, 40F and the sun's out. We had some rain and SLEET this morning! There's still a storm warning on though so we'll have to see what they'll dish out next. We've really had enough of rain and wind ! LOL

Marsue - thanks. The lemon pie sounds delicious. I've never had meringue turn hard ... strange. It always turns softer after a few days in the fridge ...

Great photos everyone!

Dyson - glad your sons are OK :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #4124947

7:15 am purchased rain gauge

7:40 am drove stake into ground

7:45 am mounted rain gauge on stake, rain gauge operational.

I think I am gonna have to find something that will float and is very visible so I can check the gauge w/a pair of binoculars without leaving the house. I had to put it out by the garden beds because of the dense tree cover near the house.

8:45 1st hour - in. of rain, I found the smallest fishing bobber in the tackle box and dropped it into the gauge. I cannot get an accurate reading w/the binoculars but I will be able to see when it needs to be emptied.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2007 8:49 AM
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #4125158

Dyson, what a great idy.
It's 66º.
Highs in the mid 70s today coming from the south, but later will be coming from the NE. We're in for a long wet week-end.
Gonna get down to the 50s at night.
I'm praying still that Kelli and Ric are okay/
;)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #4125465

Good morning, everyone!
The sun peeked out for a few minutes this morning but found a cloud before I could get a photo. More rain forecast for today! BUT starting tomorrow we are supposed to have several days of sunshine once again. (I think I said that in earlier post.)

Current conditions as of 7:55 am CDT

Cloudy
Feels Like: 50
Barometer: 30.07 in and rising
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 7 mi
Dewpoint: 48
Wind: WSW 7 mph
Sunrise: 7:23 am
Sunset: 6:20 pm

Dyson, glad you heard that your sons are okay.
Joey, great flower pic!
Sharon, you take the greatest photos of sunsets!
Rann: looks like the leaves are about gone from your trees. Ours are just barely starting to turn.
Kiska: I'll say it again: Snow!---brrrr!

I was going to take a photo of the sunrise but the sun disappeared before I could get out there with my camera. Instead I took this photo of 12 long-stemmed red roses---:o)) on my Velvet Toreador rose bush, that is. This is after 4 days of rain, too! Great rose, that Velvet!

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #4125763

Oh Wow Marsue -that is pretty :-) Yes the leaves are mostly gone now - they were blown off waaaay too early I think this year ... hardly had time to turn color some of them.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #4125978

Speaking of leaves ... just noticed a single Maple leaf, plastered to one of the kitchen storm windows by the rain, not a perfect leaf by any means, but fairly symmetrical, with interesting colors, a light orange on the outer edges darkening closer to the center. Now If I could figure out this danged hillbilly camera you could see it also.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 26, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #4126074

Dyson,glad your sons are OK!Please,take that pic!
Sharon,wow,your first picture seems like a painting!
Rann,such a clear sky,it must have been cold!
Marsue,your rose is still blooming, great!
Kiska,wonderful snow!
Cloudy here today,but warm -only 42 in the morning,but 64 at noon.
More fall pics from the park.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #4126085

adinamiti - did I miss any letters? - Your pic is a keeper. I've got 500GB in storage space, but it fills so fast. Got to start burning dvd's.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #4126985

Rann How has your day been? Were there any storms? Sleet = Brrrrr! Lookslike Old man winter is settling in : (
Dyson Youre cracking me up! Dh loves the description of the rain gauge, the bobber and the hillbilly camera! LOL!!
Marsue The rose bush is glorious! WOW! I bet they smell as pretty as they are!
Adina WOW! Great picture!! Such pretty colors! Thanks at least I got 2 really good pics of the way the sky just lit up all soft pink. Feel free to use as background!

68.4 F / 20 C
Overcast
Dew Point: 62 F / 16 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 1300 ft / 396 m
Overcast 5000 ft / 1524 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. Lows in the lower 60s. North winds 5 mph.

We didnt get to 70* today. OMG - it was cloudy and rainy and breezy and cool I loved every single minute of it! And had a great hair day to top it all off! LOL!! One more - the rest aren't that great.

Kelli - Ric - Where are you?!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4127175

It has been raining for three days straight. Boy could we have used some of this this past summer. But we will glady take it now to replace our ground water supplies as we are on a well. I had sowed grass seed last Thursday, right before we got an inch and one-half of rain. It is up and growing. We have got an additional 2 inches since then. The daylilies are green and glowing and making increase they couldn't do this summer. It is Dyson dark, grey and chilly out there currently 53 degrees - has been that cool all day. We are scheduled to get an additional inch of rain tonight and tomorrow morning. I wanted to spread lime today but couldn't do it in the pouring down rain. Even the clematis vines are putting out new growth - but they will soon be killed by frost. It is 2 weeks late already.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4127498

Just have a minute to check in.
Well, it's rained off and on all day, but only added about 1/10" to the gauge. Of course, that's 1/10" more than we had the previous 3 weeks, so I'm happy! :)
Currently 65F and cloudy.
Deb
PS/Dyson, so glad you heard news of your sons.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2007
3:51 AM

Post #4127852

Great photos everyone!. It's good to see that many of you are getting some much needed rain. It's been rainy here the past couple of days as well. The fall colors are peaking here now, and I see Joey is finally getting some color in WV as well. The full moon has been gorgeous the past 2 nights. Hopefully, Kelli will check in soon.

Photo: Yesterdays sunset::

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #4127908

Sharon, you just keep outdoing yourself with those great photos! BTW my Velvet Toreador rose has no fragrance. Otherwise it would be the perfect rose, in my book.
EB, that is an absolutely fantabulous photo!

I will be at my grandson's little league football game in the morning so I am posting tomorrow's forecast now:

Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High near 70F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow night: A mostly clear sky. Low 46F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Sound like good football weather!
Here's my grandson's team in action.

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
9:42 AM

Post #4128177

Se_eds Its been raining off and on for 3 days here too! At least its not storming and the rain is just soaking in. I need to do the lawn, but it will have to wait. We got another 1 yesterday.
Deb So glad you are still getting rain too, every little bit helps.
E_B - Thats quite a sunset you had! The reflection in the water is beautiful!
Marsue Thanks! Im blessed to live in such a pretty area. I may complain about the heat and humidity, but I dont want to leave the island for anything! Thats a darn shame about the rose. It would be the perfect flower if it had a scent! Have fun at the game today!

69.1 F / 20.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Few 500 ft / 152 m
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft / 1524 m
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft / 3657 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Numerous showers through the early afternoon...then scattered showers. Highs in the mid 70s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Mandevilla - these have the scent the rose should have! If I could just bottle it!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #4128264

1.6in of rain in the gauge since 7:45 yesterday, 52(F)

Relative Humidity: 93%
Wind: 310 (NW) at 5mph
Pressure: 30.12in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 53F
Yesterday's High Temp: 56F
Dew Point: 51
Heat Index: 53
Wind Chill: 53
6hr Precip: 0.2in
6hr Low Temp: 55F
6hr High Temp: 55F
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #4128395

Just looked out my window and found this sight of the moon setting and reflection of the sunrise in my neighbor's window--thought it was interesting.
Have a great day everyone--I'm off to the "big game" after another cup of coffee.

And oh, glorious day, the sun is shining but the temp on my backporch was 40*F just a little bit ago!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 7:52 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #4128529

Good Morning! We have a temp of 58 w/ many clouds & a stiff breeze. Our total rain fall was 6+ inches for a 3 day total! Yesterday morning I emptied the rain-o-meter, which measures 5+ inches (it was over flowing) & got another inch. :D

Dyson, I do believe that you have gotten your well back to full capacity! :D Glad the boys are OK!
Thanks, Marsue...Such an interesting pic! :D I feel sure that you're having fun at the "big game"!
Speaking of games...Emily went to Bluefield last night to the high school football game (last one of the regular season) & I got to "JW sit"! :D...She borrowed my car (more comfy) & ...we have deer damage! :-O But at least she is OK.
Sharon, Wow! ~ Your Mandevilla! :D And I'm really glad that you quit dancing! :D About that little pink (red) flower...Will it tollerate being outside in our winters? I have it in a pot & could bring it inside...just wondering, cuz we're supposed to get some frost tomorrow night. Lows will be in the low 30's!
E_B! Love that Pic! :D I wish I knew How you did it! Wonderful! :D How your son doing w/ his recovery & theropy?
Se_eds...sounds as if you are getting a rebirth of spring! Hope it doesn't frost too soon for ya!
Deb, Glad you finally got some rain, but hope that you'll get some more!

Dyson, you may have to go on the hunt again for Ric & Kelli!

Todays trivia is...
What do meteorologists measure on the Saffir-Simpson scale?
a) Hurricanes
b) Tornadoes
c) Wind Chill Temperature
d) Ozone Levels

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 27, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #4128711

Dyson Dark, but clear; stars and moon looking great, nearly 7am with sunrise in 2 hours.
27*
Dyson, so glad that your boys are ok; and, the rain gauge is up and running and filling.
m2k~~good news that Emily is alright, but that the car is damaged. The fall color is beautiful.
E_B~ what a wonderful sunrise, the brilliant reflection is fantastic.
MySharona - love the pretty little pink blossom; hard to believe there are flowers blooming in the winter:) I understand what you mean about where you live and not wanting to be anywhere else.
marsue~that's a very interesting and pretty pic with both coming and going of the night and day.
Taken 5 days ago, just before snow covered the ice.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #4129008

Awoke to a slow drizzle many hours ago, still raining when I checked the gauge at 6:00am (the bobber thingy showed 1.6 in of rain since 7:45 am yesterday) @ 52(F).

Figured out how to empty the camera into the puter, went and bought worms to go fishing with later and bought the wife a new rod & reel (in hopes that she can cast with the new one freeing my time so I can fish)

I am gonna hate having to print out the instructions for this camera, but it may be the only way I figure it out. Stopped raining and the sun is out in full force. @65(F)

Relative Humidity: 58%
Wind: 290 (WNW) at 13mph
Pressure: 30.21in
Yesterday's Precip: 1.23in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 53F
Yesterday's High Temp: 56F
Dew Point: 49
Heat Index: 64
Wind Chill: 64
6hr Low Temp: 51F
6hr High Temp: 56F

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
4:48 PM

Post #4129067

Marsue Great picture! Let us know how the game went!
Joey LOL! Need more rain?! Were soggy too! Emilys ok? Thats scaryI need a JW picture fix and smoochies! I dont think the plant will handle a freeze; you may want to bring the plant inside. Trivia answer is A Hurricanes.

69.4 F / 20.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 60 F / 15 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Steady)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft / 1524 m

Now
Through 1 PM...showers and isolated thunderstorms will continue along the coast and coastal waters up to 50 miles east of the northeast Florida shoreline. The heavier showers are 5 miles east of Ponte Vedra Beach and 20 miles east of Fernandina Beach. Some showers will move into Palatka...Keystone Heights...Crescent City...Saint Augustine..Arlington and Jacksonville Beach. The showers are moving north at 15 miles an hour.

Rest of Today
Mostly cloudy with scattered showers especially near the coast. Highs in the mid 70s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #4129387

Gorgeous autumn weather here now that the sun is shining. It was approx. 68*F on my back porch just a few minutes ago. Low humidity--perfect. I went and dug up about 12 iris rhizomes earlier--got them from a lady through Freecycle. I could have had 4 times that many but didn't have the energy to dig up that many because they had spread into the lady's yard and were entertwined with bermuda grass--took me a little while to dig up the ones I did get. Good thing the ground was soft from all the rain we've had this week.
Joey, too bad about your car but so glad your Emily is okay. Several years ago we had practically a whole herd of deer run across the road in front of us one night--did about $3500 worth of damage to my car--All the deer ran away so if any of them were badly hurt, we didn't know about it.
What kind of leaf is that, Sharon? I'm wanting to say split-leaf philodendron?
Dyson, you know what "they" say: "If all else fails, read the directions!" LOL
Kiska--it doesn't get daylight until 9 a.m.!? And here I have been complaining because it doesn't get light here until 7:30 a.m.
Zach's team won their game 40--0. They are undefeated in their league and only have one game left to play in regular season. They will be in the play-offs for sure. My DH was the "down keeper" today. Zach got one of 2 MVP awards for today's game--not that he is any better than the other little guys but it is just that the coach gives the MVP award to 2 guys each week and this was Zach's turn to get it. It gives the little fellows a boost in confidence without making them feel too conceited. Zach is 7 1/2 and just lost one of his front teeth. I'm sending along a pic of him that I took today with his MVP award around his neck and the gap in his teeth is visible,too. Just think, the tooth fairy and MVP award all in one week! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 27, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #4129415

How's the new rod/reel, Dyson? hope you've had a good day 'ofishing.
MySharona - that is a beautiuful leaf; so green and pretty.
marsue, what a cute gson; I see the snack in hand, too...that's a great part of the game, too. Bet they're so excited with how they've been playing. very cool.
Sunny, 31*, calm.
October 9th...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #4129433

What a cutie, marsue!! I love the floating MVP award idea.

Dyson, I'm so glad your sons are ok.

Joey, I'm glad Emily is ok, too! Sorry about your car, though.

E_B, that sunset picture was breathtaking!!

Has anyone d-mailed Kelli? I'm going to as soon as I send this...

I think Texas moved north or something.. The humidity is still amazingly low, the temperatures are reasonable, and the skies are as clear as can be. I'm not sure whose weather we're getting, but we sure love it!! There is no sign of a change in the extended forecast, either. I need to start watering the garden after all of these days of sunshine, but I'm not complaining even a little.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CDT (26 min ago)
Temperature 74 F 23 C
Dew Point 44 F 7 C
Humidity 34%
Pressure 30.32 in 1026.9 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH 9 kts
Wind Dir NNE 30
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 75 F 24 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 45.0F / 7.2C
dottik
Oakland, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
7:46 PM

Post #4129508

The rain has stopped here and there is bright sunshine. It's supposed to be about 70 today and chilly again tonight. Thursday night it got down below 32 up here at the house, I was almost late to work Friday morning because I had to scrape frost off the windows of my car. Supposed to be clear to partially cloudy until Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'm going to go enjoy the sun.

Glad your sons are alright, Dyson. How are you doing? You appear to be healing well - glad you can move around better.

Joey, I love the quizzes. I get the wrong answer rather often, but then I'm learning something.

Kiska, I am looking forward to visiting Alaska someday. (If I live long enough to get the money for the trip together) but I would not care to live there. I lived 3 years in Helena, Montana. I have discovered I do not drive well on ice or in snow!

I hope somebody hears from Kelli soon.

Dotti
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #4129776

Took the grandson (Johnathon) fishing at a friends private pond today.
A) Did not hook myself (I may be getting the hang of this fishing stuff).
B) The grandson had a great time (he landed all the fish).
C) We brought home four good sized catfish for dinner.
D) Sue would not let me use her new Rod & Reel :( it's ok I'll use it while she is at work.

67(F), bright, sunny, & now I have to clean & cook the fish. Catfish w/a good beer batter anyone?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 27, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #4129896

Dyson - what a great day~~ dinner sounds great; what's for dessert?
dottik~~I just returned from a drive to take pics; with studded tires, & slowing down, it wasn't bad at all. But, does make me nervous getting out to walk around if not using cleats. Hope you can come up someday..
What I use to get traction ...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #4130124

Oh, we have those down here in the south, Kiska, only we call them golf shoes! LOL
Mmmm, catfish, Dyson, you got enough left-over for two Arkies?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #4130142

Marsue I dont know the type of philodendron. Its still a young plant, so Im not positive. If anyone knows, please advise! Your GS is darling! 40-0 Thats quite a feat and he has an award to top it all off! Congratulations!
Kiska I have several blooms going now, but I havent been able to take decent pics! Its either too dark or the weather hasnt been favorable to running outside to take a picture! Those are some tough looking shoes you wear! Not a surprise though. Anytime I think of cleats I think of Baseball!
Rann Do you have to wear cleats in the snow as well?
Dyson Have you figured out the camera yet?! Catfish dinner and we werent invited?! Thats not right! Sounds delicious!!
Marylyn I d-mailed Kelli when we realized that she hadnt been on-line for a couple of days. No response yet. I just pray that she is okay.

70.5 F / 21.4 C
Overcast
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 59 F / 15 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 74 F / 24 C
Clouds: Overcast 4500 ft / 1371 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with scattered showers. Lows in the lower 60s inland...in the mid 60s coast. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

May I suggest that we set up a buddy contact list if disaster strikes one of our areas? We could give each other our phone numbers (via d-mail) so we can keep in contact. Let me know what yall think. This is just dreadful not knowing what has happened to Kelli and Ric.

Clouds this morning

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #4130180

E_B: You do amazing things with light! Another beautiful sunset.
Dyson: Sounds like a perfect day indeed!
Marsue: Zach's adorable.

Got another 1/10" overnight but the sun came out this afternoon so that may be it for a while.
Dyson Dark and 74. Low tonight is the "coldest" so far, predicted to be 54F.
May have to bring in a few plants soon (like this one).
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #4130223

Deb - That is a heart shaped phildendron - and they are gorgeous!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #4130232

Ric has been posting on the Ohio forum, so he's okay according to Badseed who I contacted to check on him.
I sent d-mail, but no reply.
Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #4130242

Thanks Sidney, he may have missed a thread jump, or got tired of Wx, Now we need to find Kelli!

This puter is acting weired gotta run some software and figure out what Sue did to it while I was fishing.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 8:04 PM
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #4130250

Wow Kiska those spikes look like exactly what I need. I had to leave NC as the ice and snow were just too tiring and hazardous for me.
We are having the coolest night in some time. It'll get down to almost 60 tonight, burrrrrrr,LOL
I better behave or my plants will freeze before I'm ready.
Been misting here most of the day.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2007

Post #4130272

The weather was perfect today. Very little wind and lots of sunshine. The trees are turning colors and are just gorgeous! I hope to get some pics before it's too late but since I drive on dangerous roads I can't stop to get the pics. I will try to hit the back roads this week and get a few.

Kiska, we use yaktraks down here for traction.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2007

Post #4130274

what the heck is a yaktrak?!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #4130290

Sharon I don't think it is a form of GPS tracking device (like a low-jack) though it sorta rhymes.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #4130309

Oooh A lowjack-yaktrak!!!!!!!!! LOL Dyson! You're crackin me up!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #4130317

Hey could be the latest thing in maintaining constant monitoring of your yak's location.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #4130330

Calling all Yaks!!!!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4130379

Have to empty the rain gage. The rain stopped about 11 AM - there is 2-3/4 inches in there from the last two days. Added to the 3 inches we got Friday a week ago, things are well watered. We are due to have a light - 31 deg frost Sunday night. Hope it kills the annual weeds that sprung up in the last two weeks, mostly henbit and that invasive "gill over the Ground" or wild geranium. At least it is easy to pull right now. I am going to put deodorized cow manure around all the clematis vines for the winter. Hope they do better next year than they did during our drought.

Have been reading about the fires, here in Pa, we live between two mountains and are so lucky.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #4130436

LOL. http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=themusicsource56159-20&keywords=yaktrax&index=apparel
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #4130495

yes to yak-tracs :))) They are but one of the sets I keep nearby this time of year. The ones pictured are easier on/off over the soles of shoes, than the yak-tracks, at least for me. They're also easy to fold up and put in a pocket till finished shopping, then, just stretch them on.
I too, just started using cleats in the past 2 years as the "fear" of falling is becoming more real. If there's enough snow over the ice, I don't use cleats.
marsue - that's funny;
Weather sounds great, pepper23;
Sidney - your plants will very happy if you don't leave them to freeze.
DebinSC~~ I think the same goes for your area~~ would be a shame to lose such a pretty plant.
Iced tire tracks in the driveway today.

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #4130544

At this point my mind has turned to mush, trying to remember when and where I saw a Yak. Ah the benefits of old age, what was I trying to remember? Never mind, If it was important someone is sure to remind me sooner or later.

kiska - I always love your photos, the scenery is fantastic, but it is warm enough here not to think about what is right around the bend. Ice is still to cool the drinks.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #4130713

Oh please, don't ever let me live in a climate where I need Yak Traks! LOL!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2007
10:58 AM

Post #4131358

Deb - LOL!

72.3 F / 22.4 C
Overcast
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the NNE
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 73 F / 23 C
Clouds: Overcast 3000 ft / 914 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 10 am this morning to 6 PM EDT this afternoon...
High surf advisory in effect from 8 PM this evening to 2 am EDT Thursday...

Today
Cloudy and windy with showers and thunderstorms likely. Thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Highs in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph with higher gusts during the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Prissy loves her toy!

Edited to add "It's still DysonDark"!!

This message was edited Oct 28, 2007 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
11:24 AM

Post #4131374

Currently - widely scattered intermittent light, 50(F) overcast, freeze warning for tonight?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #4131378

Sue & granddaughter at the lake last weekend.

Thumbnail by Dyson

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #4131971

Dark for a couple more hours, till 9:17 this morning. Scattered clouds, full moon, stars; quite pretty.
DebinSC~very funny and I'm sure you're serious :)
yak-tracs are the perfect accessory to a fine Carhart coat and LLBean boots ;)) .
Dyson - beautiful picture of your family.
MySharona ~ Prissy goes well w/her toy; cute.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #4132650

Oh Kiska we have been cloud socked in for this entire moon and I was so looking forward to it.
Well ya'll are sure giving me some fantastic landscapes.
It's 70º
Rain is supposed to start anytime.
Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #4132667

Sue saw the pic and decided it was time for a hair cut.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #4132778

Kiska: You know I mean it! LOL. I love to "visit" snow, but that's as far as it goes. Give me WARM! :)
Dyson: Your GD is sooo pretty!

Looks like autumn has arrived here at last. Only 66F at the moment.
This week, lows will dip into the 40s for the first time.

Spent the morning bringing in the more sensitive plants. Had a near calamity with my giant Bird of Paradise, but it eventually got to its destination.
Except for some yellow leaves that have dropped off the peach tree, the Morning Glories are the only leaves showing signs of fall color (and that's probaby from lack of water).
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 28, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #4132872

Dyson Dark here too! It was cloudy and rained all day,with small breaks. Love your pics,here's one from our park this morning.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4133001

Dyson Great picture of Sue & GD! Your GD is precious!
Kiska Brrrrr Freezing just thinking about the ice!
Deb Out neighbor has a Bird of Paradise. They leave it out all year; I dont know how it has managed to survive!
Adina - Pretty leaves!

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 5 am EDT Monday...
High surf advisory in effect from 8 PM this evening to 2 am EDT Thursday...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect from Monday morning through Tuesday afternoon...

68.7 F / 20 C
Overcast
Humidity: 60%
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8 km/h from the North
Wind Gust: 11.2 mph / 18 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2000 ft / 609 m
Mostly Cloudy 4000 ft / 1219 m
Overcast 5500 ft / 1676 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Windy. Scattered showers in the evening...then numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Locally heavy rainfall possible after midnight. Lows around 60 inland...in the mid 60s coast. Northeast winds 20 to 25 mph...decreasing to 15 to 20 mph late this evening inland. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Well, I have to say I had to drag out my jeans today! We never made it to the high of 72* today. It's been overcast, blustery and cool! I'm NOT complaining!! I'd love to see the full moon tonight, but it's not going to happen.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #4133028

Hi, I'm back! Sorry to worry you all. I was in PA fulfilling my filial obligations (visiting my parents). I thought you all might be wondering about me when you saw the fires on the news, but the 'rents don't have internet access and are not anywhere near a library so I couldn't check in. You all did a good job of finding where Canoga Park is, though. :-) We are upwind from Malibu so there was no danger here. The wind must have been awful, though. We had stuff blown around the yard that has never blown around before. A noticeable amount of leaves were stripped off the citrus trees. The floss silk tree blew over and took out the phone line. I guess we'll be having the phone crew coming over tomorrow. At least it didn't take out the cable. That would be worse - no internet and no baseball.

I'll have some PA pictures later.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
9:55 PM

Post #4133047

Kelli thanks for letting us know you are ok. Glad you had no major damage.
Awaiting the pics, everyone here has been patient with my learning of the new DC attempts.
The GD is precious and a hand full.

59(F) bright sun setting

Freeze warning for tonight

Relative Humidity: 27%
Wind: 330 (NNW) at 10mph
Pressure: 30.42in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 51F
Yesterday's High Temp: 67F
Dew Point: 27
Heat Index: 61
Wind Chill: 61
6hr Low Temp: 55F
6hr High Temp: 63F
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #4133064

Oh, yeah, the weather. It's hot. It's dry. It's nice to see the sun shine.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 28, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
88 F / 31 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 21%
Dew Point: 43 F / 6 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSW

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2007
10:27 PM

Post #4133105

Here is a PA picture. This Ohiopyle State Park. It is not near where my parents live.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #4133108

The sun actually shone that day.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #4133119

This is the back of my parents' house (typical western Pennsylvania suburbia). The sun shone for about 20 seconds so I ran outside to take some pictures before it started to rain again. You know I'm not used to having to deal with that rain thing.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #4133233

Glad you are back, Kelli, and that things are okay with you. Beautiful pictures of the PA foliage.
I think I may have joined this thread while you were away.
Kiska: are you sure those aren't tracks of the Abominable Snowman?
Dyson, great photo of your wife and little granddaughter. Granddaughters are special, aren't they?
By the way, don't yaks live in the Himalayas or the Andes or maybe in Iceland? How about it Rann--do you have yaks up there? Anyway, I know they live where it is cold! BRRR!
Adina, pretty fall foliage in the park.
We went to visit my MIL today who lives about 65 miles NW of us. There was very little color among the trees which is unusual for this time of year. However, we have had a very warm autumn and we have still not had a frost. Everything is still very green here.
Sharon, did you try that lemon ice box pie recipe yet? If memory serves me right, my mother used a recipe that called for cooking the filling. Sure wish I had that recipe. I'll have to ask my sister if she has it. I'm salivating just thinking about it. LOL
Today was a beautiful day--cool--probably around 70 for a high and low humidity with plenty of sunshine. More of the same forecast for the next few days--hooray!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #4133249

Kelli, you sure picked a rainy time to visit. I think we got our whole summer's worth of rain in a two week period. We are scheduled for a hard freeze tonight. Temps in the high 50's today, abundant sunshine, finishing up working outside. Will not get 'finished'.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #4133304

My cousin said that they were needing rain.

The thing that looks like alligator skin is a fossil of the trunk of a tree fern. I love fossils.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #4133367

Kelli: Welcome back! And I'm relieved to hear that you only had some wind damage, and nothing more serious. That PA foliage is stunning!
Adina: I love your park. We never would see that kind of color down here.
Sharon: There are some BOP's that stay outdoors year round just about 25 miles from here near the coast, which is 8b. They seem to do ok but I doubt they bloom. I don't want to risk it though and maybe mine will have a chance of blooming if I keep it warm. :) Here it is, safely ensconced in the garage ( along with that philodendrum I mentioned yesterday).

Currently 62F and clear but they say going down to 45 tonight.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #4134056

BOP's? Is that Big Old Plants?
Kelli please just let someone know if you vanish again. I miss seeing the colors change up north this year. Your pictures are great.
Dyson ,Sue looks like an old buddy I had. And of course the GD is very pretty. I'm sure Prissy is the boss there.
Adina is your fall color as slow coming as ours?
Joey, is Peter's Mt ablaze with color? How's JW?
Kiska I thought everyone had Yaktracks.
;)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #4134138

I'm glad you all like the pictures. I've got a bunch of them. Consider yourselves forewarned.

Standard western PA countryside. This is in Fayette County.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2007
9:34 AM

Post #4134643

Dark, 34(F)

Sue got back yesterday & I said "your hair looks nice", she replied "OK who are you and what have you done with my husband?", sheesh, see what I get for making an effort. She has left for work - I may get to test drive the new rod & reel.

Relative Humidity: 82%
Wind: 320 (NW) at 3mph
Pressure: 30.53in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 41F
Yesterday's High Temp: 63F
Dew Point: 29
Heat Index: 34
Wind Chill: 34
6hr Low Temp: 38F
6hr High Temp: 52F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2007
9:53 AM

Post #4134647

Hi Kelli! Thanks for letting us know youre okay (and your home)! Sounds like you had a good time in PA. The pics are great! Arent you glad you returned before the first frost?! LOL!
Marsue I bought the ingredients for the pie yesterday going to make it tonight!
Adina I forgot to tell you that I made the Fanta cheesecake it was very good! Didnt last long in a household with 3 men!
Deb DH dreads the time when we have to pull in the plants for frosts and freezes! Your BOP is really tall!
Dyson Aww thats sweet that you said Sues hair looks nice! Dh just looks at me then squints like he cant really tell what change was made! Is it shorter? Highlites? Darker? Lighter? LOL!! Then says Looks good!!

69.1 F / 20.6 C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9.7 km/h / 2.7 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 16.8 mph / 27.0 km/h / 9.3 m/s
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 3.0 miles / 4.8 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1400 ft / 426 m
Mostly Cloudy 2300 ft / 701 m
Overcast 7000 ft / 2133 m

Now
Through 630 am...areas of light rain will continue from near Gainesville to Jacksonville and offshore extreme northeast Georgia and southeast Georgia. Rainfall amounts will be light...with only a few hundredths of an inch at most locations.

Coastal Flood Warning in effect until 3 PM EDT this afternoon...
High surf advisory in effect until 2 am EDT Thursday...
Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect from 3 PM EDT this afternoon through Tuesday afternoon...

Today
Very windy. Cloudy with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Highs in the upper 60s. Northeast winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts to around 35 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

It's DysonDark, very windy and gusty and I'm sure Jack has toppled over once again.
Apparently it's going to be an active weather day. We received sprinkles only yesterday. Baxter looking slightly perturbed at having hi picture taken ... again!

This message was edited Oct 29, 2007 5:54 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2007
11:11 AM

Post #4134710

Good Morning! It's Dyson Dark! The freeze didn't make it here last night, but a few miles up the valley (where it's more open) it's 28. We have 34. What a difference the trees make! :D

Kelli! Yeay! You're back & OK! :D Your pics look really good! Reminds me of here at home. I love fossils, too. And that one is really Neat!
Dyson, Sue looks nice & wind blown (you shouldn't make fun of her hair!), and the GD is precious!
Deb, I love the color of your MG's fall color! Mine just turn brown & wither, quickly. And your BOP's! Wow!
Sharon, Your Pics are all Great! That plant is Huge! and Baxter seems to be fond of it! :D I hope that mine gets that large. I brought it in last night & will need to find a window for it. I have plenty of windows, but with all the trees - light is the issue. I hope that my plant gets as big as yours! Gee!
Sidney, we do have some color & JW is developing a little personality...He is now laughing when taking a bath. So much fun! :D
Kiska, Those "yak-trac's" look like they'd really do the trick! :D I could use them around here!, but I haven't grown up yet & love to slide... Now if you could get them for your car...
Adina, Stay warm! Love the park pic. :D Great color!
Marsue, Glad the little boys won! What a score! And your GS is a real cutie! ;)
Dotti, Glad that you like th "Quizzies"...

The trivia for the day is...
Which of the following was not a TV weathercaster at some point in their career?
a) Bill Murray
b) Jane Pauley
c) David Letterman
d) Pat Sajak

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2007
12:22 PM

Post #4134848

The sun rose today, it is a good thing. 33(F) I am not ready for this "winter" thing. - someone way down south got room and need a hillbilly garden worker - will weed for compost - unless it warms soon, the new rod and reel will remain unused.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #4135319

Come on down, Dyson--we could use a garden worker and if you are a hillbilly you will fit in "right well" down here. Your Sue sounds like a woman after my own heart! ("Who are you and what have you done with my husband?") After all, we have the same name. I am so glad the sun came up over there because it has to get to you before it gets over here! LOL

Joey and KellI; both of your photos remind me of scenes here in Arkansas--very similar to our topography.

Sharon, that expression on Baxter's face reminds me of my DH--he hates having his pic taken, too. I'll be waiting for the report on how the pie turns out!

It was about 39*F on my back porch at 8 a.m. today. Must have gotten cooler than that in the wee hours of the morning because there was a very light frost on the grass, but we still haven't had a freeze. We went up to see my MIL yesterday and there was very little color noticeable among the trees--maybe there will be some color to photograph soon.

Plenty of sunshine forecast for the next few days--along with low humidity. I'll be sounding like a broken record before the week is out! LOL --great gardening weather!

You all have a great day!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #4135704

Joey Your plant will get large! Ive had this one since the beginning of Spring. I took a couple of pinches from a parent plant and ta-da! Try placing one of those bendable lamps over it to keep light on it. Im going with Jane Pauleyclueless!
Dyson Did you get to go fishing?
Marsue - Baxter gets tired of me shoving the camera in his face. When I start getting "the look" I move on to the next victim!

67.5 F / 19.7 C
Overcast
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 60 F / 16 C
Wind: 7.0 mph / 11.3 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 12.5 mph / 20.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.30 in / 1026.0 hPa (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 1400 ft / 426 m

Rest of Today
Windy. Numerous showers. Locally heavy rainfall is possible. Highs in the upper 60s. Northeast winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to around 40 mph. Winds strongest near the coast and along the river. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Yep - poor Jack has toppled over 2x today. We are cooler now than earlier this morning! I'm so happy! Sylvester (cat) & Prissy (dog) snoozin' - they're buds.

Thumbnail by MySharona

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 29, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #4136120

Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, how cute !Sharon,seems to me Sylvester is bigger than Prissy?! I'm so happy your family loved the Fanta cake!Now we'll have to do Marsue's cake too! I saw your plant in Italy,at my DD's BFparents apartment.Do you know its name?
Kelli,what a relief you are safe and sound! Wonderful pictures!
Sugar, we usually get fall colors earlier,but this year was so hot until almost September!
Joey,wow, great view!
Dyson, keep up with the compliments on Sue,I'm sure she'll love it!Anyway she's too funny!LOL Beautiful GD!
Marsue, so great you have sunshine! In Bucharest was cloudy and it rained again all day,yuck!
Here's the plant I told you about .
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2007
7:14 PM

Post #4136253

Here is the local forecast for today:

Today: Sunny. High 64F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. (The Thermometer on my backporch says it is about 66*F right now)
Tonight: Generally clear. Low 41F. Winds light and variable.
Tomorrow: Sunny skies. High 71F. Winds light and variable.

I was out moseying aroung the garden path earlier today and took some photos of the roses still blooming. Spotted a painted lady butterfly on the purple sage.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2007
7:15 PM

Post #4136258

Here's a close up of a bloom from my climbing rose: Don Juan

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #4136266

and a photo of one of our red Knock-Out bushes. . .

Thumbnail by marsue

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2007
10:35 PM

Post #4136885

No butterflys seen today. It was 27 deg, on the front porch and the waning moon was shining bright on the white frost on the roofs and the grass. Warmed up quickly though and we had a beautiful day to spread lime, rip out the two remaining cherry tomato plants which were still giving tomatoes. Wind died down today so it was a real pleasure being out of doors.

I got a brand new potting shed a year ago. Over the summer it filled up to the point I only had about 2 sq. ft. in front of the bench. It is 10X12'. Today was the day to get it cleaned up. Spread the last 5 lbs of lime, spread the last 10 lbs of 10-10-10, rearranged the Promix so I can use it in the winter for seedlings. Washed and cleaned all trays and potting containers. Wow - I have plenty of room. Don't you just love fall weather when the coolness gives you the ambition to complete long neglected chores?
If this keeps up I may have to do something in the house. (Like clean) Ugh!

I think instead I will get out some frozen peaches and make a peach pie. My husband would much rather have a peach pie than a freshly waxed floor.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #4136900

2:30 pm, 33*, gray, windy and cold.
Sunrise: 9:20am Sunset: 6:04pm.
I've enjoyed seeing and reading about the weather, family and friends and pets. This is such a wonderful thread.
Other than hello to all, and welcome back Kelli, I'd better get busy.
se_eds~pie sounds wonderful, do you make peach cobbler?
My sister took this in August while they hiked up at Hatcher Pass.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #4136909

Ahhh, a clean potting shed. I can just feel the relief. I don't have a potting shed, but it is nice when the house is cleaned up.

And another great AK picture.

I am very familiar with your plant, Adina. They are a fairly common ground cover here and they would completely cover our front porch if we let them.

Great pictures, Marsue. We've got monarch butterflies around here now, but I can't get close enough to them to take a picture.

I think it got warmer than this today at our house.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 29, 2007
83 F / 28 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 47 F / 8 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the South

The paperwhite narcissus are starting to bloom. (Obviously not a PA picture.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
10:44 PM

Post #4136916

This is the floss silk tree that blew over. Note the telephone line hanging low. The guy came today and reattached it. I'll bet he's done a lot of that in this past week.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4136934

thanks, kelli - too bad about your tree. Will you replace it w/same? Are those thorns along the trunk?
Very pretty narcissus.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #4136982

I don't know if we will replace the tree or not. DH was always afraid of it getting too big and interfering with the lines or the neighbors complaining about it blocking the view or something. Those are thorns along the trunk. It is a pretty strange tree. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55678/ Ours was growing at the bottom of a steep slope. I would never go up that slope because if I slid, I would slide into the floss silk tree, and that would not be fun.

Here is a PA picture. This was an inn. The log side was built in the late 1700s and the stone side was built in the early 1800s. This was on the route between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. The town is Laughlintown which is just a sleepy little place nowdays. This building is a museum, but you still see some old log houses around that are still being used as houses.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #4137039

Uh oh, I'm sensing a heavier sprinkling of the "F" words: frost & freeze. Brrrr. I dread winter coming,but as Se_eds said, the nice temps right now do give you a boost of energy. The short days coming will counteract that effect for me, tho. :(

Meanwhile...
Kelli: So nice to see Narcissus this time of year!
Marsue: Pretty roses and the butterfly is soo pretty.
Sharon: Love the "sleepers".
Joey: Guessing "A" - Bill Murray.

Currently 63, Low tonight 45. Clear and quiet. (and of course...Dyson Dark).
Deb
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #4137108

Adina Sylvester & Prissy weigh in at 15lbs each. Sylvester is a HUGE cat! Here is a link for the plant:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53485/
Marsue Thats a pretty butterfly kind of moth like. The roses are gorgeous! Forgot about a meeting I had to go to tonight, so Ill make the pie tomorrow sigh I was looking forward to it!
Se_eds I agree there is nothing like being in the garden in this type of weather!
Kiska Great picture of Hatchers Passso lush and green!
Kelli My Narcissus havent even begun to bloom no buds either! Thats so sad about your tree. The blooms are gorgeous! I was going to say you should keep a couple of cuttings and replant it, but if you have any left Ill take some cuttings! They root easily.

68.9 F / 20 C
Overcast
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 60 F / 16 C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9 km/h from the NNE
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph / 20 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Overcast 1400 ft / 426 m

Now
Through 745 PM...an areas of light rain and isolated showers with heavy rainfall continues to develop over northeast floridan and the coastal waters. The heavier showers will move into areas near St Augustine...Crescent City ...Bostwick...Palatka...Welaka and Juniper Springs. Ponding of water on the roads is likely near the heavier showers. The showers are moving southwest at 20 miles an hour.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy and very windy with scattered showers. Lows 58 to 63 inland...in the mid 60s coast. Northeast winds 25 mph decreasing to 15 to 20 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 40 percent.

A little blurry, but you get the idea of the 40mph gusts today.

Thumbnail by MySharona

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #4137497

Kiska, peach cobbler is a summer dish around here. My DH is a pie addict. #1 - apple pie, #2 peach pie, #3 cherry pie (canned).
#4 any kind of egg custard, raisin, current,etc.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 30, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #4137830

se_eds~~any one of those pies sounds wonderful. I make a lot of "crisps", rhubarb, apple, blueberry, or a mix of the fruits.
MySharona - that's some wind storm there. Glad the pets are curled up and warm and snuggly..When you come, Hatcher Pass is only a few miles from here and is a "must see" on most lists.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2007
7:01 AM

Post #4138457

Dark - 36(F) but that is better than the 33 we had yesterday morning.

Relative Humidity: 79%
Pressure: 30.45in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 32F
Yesterday's High Temp: 59F
Dew Point: 33
Heat Index: 39
Wind Chill: 39
6hr Low Temp: 37F
6hr High Temp: 51F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2007
9:45 AM

Post #4138533

Kiska - I love to make apple and peach crisps. I told Jeff to put Hatchers Pass on the list!
Dyson - Well at least it's a lttle warmer than yesterday! LOL!! Maybe you can go fishing today!

69.3 F / 20.7 C
Overcast
Dew Point: 62 F / 17 C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 2.2 m/s from the NE
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2100 ft / 640 m
Overcast 3300 ft / 1005 m

High surf advisory in effect until 8 am EDT Thursday...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect through Wednesday evening...

Today
Mostly cloudy and very windy with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts to 35 mph.

Peek-a-Boo!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2007
10:05 AM

Post #4138549

I forgot to tell y'all - I'm so proud! The Tutor has paid off - (doesn't hurt that she's cute too - hey whatever works!)

DS pulled all his grades up this past semester (10th grade) - A's, B's & C's

Happy Dance!

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2007
11:40 AM

Post #4138718

Good Morning! Well, Dyson, you may be 3 warmer!, but we're 6 cooler! It's 28 w/ a heavy frost! I recon I'll have to bundle up before going to school. The high will be in the 60's, tho.

Sharon, Yeah! Glad that his grades have improved. Keep up the good work! :D Is that "Boo in a bag"? LOL!
Kelli, Love the pic of the century(s) -old house! We have some of those, but most are used for war re-inactments. Sad about that gorgeous tree. :(
Marsue, Your Roses are beautiful! :D

The answer to the trivia is...A
Despite his role in "Groundhog Day," Bill Murray has never been a television weathercaster.

This is a pic of some of the rain that we had. (taken while driving)
Joey

Have a great day Everybody!

Thumbnail by music2keep

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #4139155

MySHarona, your peek-a-boo picture is now my FAVORITE halloween picture!

We are doing the flip-flop here watching TS Noel. Will he or won't he turn before smacking S. Florida? We are having high winds, surf and beach erosion now, but it is from the the high-low gradiant situation over N. Florida. It will be tomorrow before we feel the winds from Noel.

Anyway, all hanging containers are on the ground, the flag is rolled and the kitties are racing around in the wind having a ball!! These preparations will hold us unless Noel turns into a Cat 1. If it does, then Hang on Sloopy!! LOL
Pati
Pati
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #4139289

Good afternoon :-)

Saturday was the first day of winter according to the calendar and it was spot on ... Nighttime frost and snow flurries since then. Our first proper snowfall yesterday so the girls could go out sleding :-) They loved that!! Yesterday and today Selma's on "winter break" from school and ofcourse Hildur Eva got a break too ;-)

We got a break from the storms over the weekend - it's the first time since mid-August that a storm system passed south of us - was a nice break but now we're "back on track" again ...

Today it's windy and raining ... so everything is very slippery, sloppy and wet. And very dim too. 24 mph winds from the east gusting to 44 mph and 39F. It's definately a "soup day" so I'm making icelandic meat soup for dinner (lamb ofcourse). This daytime wet and night time frost make for very slippery driving conditions.

Sunrise today was at 9:07 am and sunset will be at 5:17 pm. Now that it's starting to get dark before 6 pm we start to look forward to Christmas ;-)

Marsue - LOL - no yaks here ;-) The only wildlife we have a some imported raindeer in the east and arctic fox ;-) The most commonly spotted animal in the landscape here is the icelandic sheep. Your roses are beautiful :-) and the butterflie's very pretty too :-) Must be nice having them around the garden.

Sharon - there is need for cleats here during winter but I haven't used them ... yet anyways ;-)

Kelli - glad to see you back :-) Great photos :-)

Wonderful photos everyone else too!

Need to help Hildur Eva get dressed - she wants to go outside to slide before all the snow's gone! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2007
4:37 PM

Post #4139672

Joey - LOL! That's Isa"Boo"-in-a-Bag! Her 3 favorites, cat nip, toy and a bag!
Pati - Thanks! Isaboo is a handful - she's always into something! Stay safe w/Noel. Hopefully it will move away from the US. We've been stuck between 2 systems - so we've been in "nasty weather" mode for a couple of days.
Rann - Love the snow-woman!

79.0 F / 26.1 C
Mostly Cloudy ???
Humidity: 42%
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the ENE
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 F / 26 C
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft / 609 m
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft / 1828 m

High surf advisory in effect until 8 am EDT Thursday...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect through Wednesday evening...

Rest of Today
Very windy. Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts to 35 mph.

The sun is out!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #4139734

I too love the pictures and I hope their are plenty in this years Photo Contest http://davesgarden.com/contest/2007/
From what I understand the entries must be submitted by tomorrow night,
Oct,31st. I know we have some knock outs.
The surf is so high that it's licking the bridge bottom close to here. Some houses have had erosion to the point of toppleing them into the ocean
So sad.
Was down to 60 this morning.
Sidney.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 30, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #4140099

Sugarweed, that is too bad about the homes being lost to the high water; sounds like quite the storm.
MySharona~great news, good grades are good for everyone involved :)) What a cute peekaboo pic.
rann~~sounds like the girls are ready for snow and fun. Love the snowwoman, too.
Have a great day, m2keep; looking very pretty there.
Sept. morn.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #4140121

Yay! Three cheers for Sharon's DS! :-)

A while back, someone asked about the "candle holder" that was in the background of my gourd picture and I don't think I answered the question. That thing is a bowl of sorts. It was made in Haiti out of an oil drum. I used to have a flower pot sitting inside it but the plant died.

I talked to the woman next door and she said that the wind and smoke that we had last week was like none she's ever seen and she's lived here for 42 years. The smoke was so bad that sometimes she couldn't even see our house. That smoke was from the Santa Clarita fire. The wind blew so hard that you couldn't ignore the noise. She doesn't know what the speed was here, but in some places it was 185mph. That is beyond my comprehension.

Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on October 30, 2007
66 F / 19 C
Clear
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 52 F / 11 C

This is a rose bush with the leaves blown off. I'm sure it will be fine.

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 30, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #4140167

Sharon, congratulations for your DS ! Thanks for the link,I love that plant! That is Sylvester?So cute!
Marsue,wonderful roses and such great pic of the butterfly!
Rann, so much snow and a snowman,wow! We're expecting much snow too in December and January,as the forecast says!
Kelly,you were lucky you weren't at home!
Kiska,great pics!
Sunny day here,great!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #4140220

Welcome back, Kelli! I hope you had a good vacation. :-) It was a good time to be away from home, at any rate.

Congratulations, Sharon's DS!! :-) I need to show the IsaBoo picture to my big bunny. She LOVES kitties.

I didn't realize there was an active tropical storm! Yikes! How scary to have your house fall into the ocean. Please be careful, all of you Floridians. It looks like Canada is going to get whacked by this one if it follows the coast all the way up like it shows on the map.

Our weather hasn't changed a bit, for which we are very grateful! I'm watering every other day or so, and enjoying the open windows still.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CDT (45 min ago)
Temperature 74 F 23 C
Dew Point 52 F 11 C
Humidity 46%
Pressure 30.23 in 1023.8 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 76 F 24 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 50.0F / 10.0C

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #4140372

Great photos everyone!
Congrats on DS's good grades, Sharon!
Tell your girls that I love the snowlady, Rann.
I hope all you guys in Florida don't have any problems with the TS down there off the east coast.

I hate to rub it in, but the weather here is perfect! Plenty of sunshine, low humidity, virtually no wind, cool but not cold. Great autumn weather.
Everyday I go out and check to see if the buds on my roses have bloomed out yet. There are several buds on Don Juan and at least 3 on Sunsprite. I keep hoping they will get to blossom before the first frost gets them! Trees are still green--they may just turn brown because we had a drought of sorts in July and August which usually means we aren't going to have a colorful fall. We'll have to wait and see.

Waiting to hear about that pie, Sharon!

Tonight is DGS's last regular season football game. We'll be there cheering them on! Go Raiders!

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #4140756

Everyone - Thanks! Justin has worked really hard this semester to get his grades up. I'm very proud of him.

Kelli Would you post a picture of the bowl? Id love to see it close up. Im so glad you werent home when all that smoke and wind was happening. Thats so sad. I dont know anything about roses (since I not only have a black thumb my arm is completely black all the way to the shoulder when it comes to growing them), but Im hoping they come back. I quit trying to grow roses because people thought I bought them to kill them in a premeditated manner.
Adina Snow does not compute even in October/November!
Marsue The only problem were having with the high winds is the beach erosion (again). The pie is in the refrigerator!

71.4 F / 21.9 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 1.8 m/s from the NE
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14.0 km/h / 11.8 m/s
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 72 F / 22 C
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1600 ft / 487 m
Mostly Cloudy 4200 ft / 1280 m
Mostly Cloudy 6500 ft / 1981 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Windy early...then breezy. Chance of showers early in the evening...then slight chance of showers. Lows in the mid 60s inland...around 70 coast. Northeast winds 20 to 30 mph...decreasing to 15 to 20 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 40 percent.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=94644

White Ghost

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #4140983

Thanks Sharon, Kiska and marsue :-)

Another one from yesterday morning. This is an open area at the end of our street. There's a very good sleding slope there for the girls to play in.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2007 11:54 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #4141036

Evening all!
Beautiful weather here the past few days. Highs in upper 60s. Lows round 50. Sunny. Unfortunately, not a drop of rain in the forecast, so that 6/10" from alst week will have to last a while.

Kiska: My DH always mentions how his mum used to make Rhubarb crumble when he was a kid and how he loved it. WHen I told him you make it alot, I thought he'd cry. :) I wouldn't know rhubarb if it jumped up and introduced itself!
Sharon: Love that Boo!
Dyson and Joey: Waaay to cold in your neck of the woods! Brrrr. Not supposed to be freezing at Halloween...is it?
Pati: Hope Noel heads off east real quick.
Rann: Very cute snow-girl. :)

Here's the only red leaf in our whole yard.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2007
12:10 AM

Post #4141070

The weather here has been simply gorgeous the past few days. We're expecting more sun mixed with clouds and high in the 50's through next weekend. I knocked off work at noon today, mowed the lawn,(I mow the leaves into long strips as well) ran the leaves through the shredder along with a bunch of plants from the flower beds and still had time for a long bike ride out through the countryside.

Jeff's ACL surgery recovery is way ahead of schedule. The Dr. and trainers say they have never seen anything like it. As I mentioned earlier, Jeff's Dr. is one of the top ortho Dr's in the country and he did a new procedure on Jeff that had only been done a couple of times nationally. I suspect that's part of the reason for the speedy recovery.

Kelli...It's good to hear you weren't caught up in the fires. I complain about the weather here from time to time but I much prefer PA's "autumn orange" over CA's.

Rannveig...No snow here yet--thank goodness. In years past we have had snow here in early Oct. though. We finally had a heavy frost here yesterday morning.

Adina...You sure have some nice autumn color over there.

Sharona...Congrats on the son's grades. It's amazing what the "right" tutor can do.

Joey...How's the color down there now? The steelhead are running up here.

Here's a photo from last Saturday's Halloween Parade.

early_bloomer

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2007

Post #4141083

E_B: So glad to hear of Jeff's rapid recovery!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #4141210

Thanks Deb. One red leaf is better then none. Here's a photo of my backyard color taken this evening.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #4141222

I've taken a few photos of the color while biking recently.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #4141228

Evening light...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #4141237

And finally...

early_bloomer

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #4141262

E_B: All beautiful. Can't decide which one I like best! That 3rd one is great though, with the bright color against the pale blues. Nice.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4141390

Those are too good as is Kiska's sept in Alaska.
Sharon you have to have some great ones for the contest too.
;)
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 31, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #4141413

I just can't seem to see enough of these pics~each post is as exciting as before. So many beautiful places and flowers and leaves.
DebinSC~loved your comment about DH :) I'll post a pic of this summer's rhubarb. One red is a beginning :) (need colder weather?)
gdaughter w/rhubarb last June. The stalk is the edible part, really tangy/tart and goes well with other berries.

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #4141532

Dark now. Got to high 60s with some wind. Not bad.

Getting colder tomorrow. high 50s to low 60s. going down thruout the week if I remember correctly.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #4142026

Deb, look in the frozen fruit section of your grocery store. Ours occasionally has frozen rhubarb. I love rhubarb pies... I need to try a crisp/crumble now (what's the difference between a crisp and a crumble??) Kiska, may I have your recipe?

Gorgeous pictures, E_B!! I'm glad Jeff is healing so quickly.

Rannveig, brrr!!! Snowmen in October.. yikes. :-)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2007
8:51 AM

Post #4142274

Dark, 35(F)

I must be fully recovered, Sue has gone into hyper-honey-do mode. I know there are a lot of things that need done/fixed around here but I like it that way.

Relative Humidity: 86%
Pressure: 30.39in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 34F
Yesterday's High Temp: 65F
Dew Point: 35
Heat Index: 39
Wind Chill: 39
6hr Low Temp: 39F
6hr High Temp: 54F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
9:55 AM

Post #4142296

Rann Look at all that snow! Wow! Id love to slide down that hill too! LOL!
Deb Rhubarb is very tasty and easy to cook! Its red and is sold in stalks (like celery). That is one bright red leaf! Very pretty!
E_B So glad Jeffs recovery is moving along. Youve been blessed! All great pictures! I think my favorite is the 3rd. Why are the trees painted white?
Kiska Your turn to post a recipe!
Marsue The pie is delicious!

73.2 F / 22.9 C
Overcast
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 59 F / 15 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the ENE
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 76 F / 25 C
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Overcast 4200 ft / 1280 m

High surf advisory in effect until 8 am Thursday...
Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM this evening...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect through this evening...

Today
Mostly cloudy and windy. A slight chance of showers in the morning...then a chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70s. Northeast winds 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Here's my hat!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2007

Post #4142300

Good morning!

It was very windy last night and rained so the snow's all gone for now :-) It's a good thing since it had all turned to slush anyway - wouldn't have been nice at all if it'd frozen like that. Had wind gusts up to 56 mph last night, blew a few things over.

Now it's 38F, breezy and gray, no rain at the moment, not sure if we're supposed to get some more today or not. 11 mph from the north gusting to 33 mph, and 86% humidity.

Kelli - so glad that there was no damage to your house. Those must have been some fierce winds to knock over that huge tree! What a shame, it's so pretty (if you look past the thorny trunk ;-) )

Deb - I second EB - one red leave is better than none! :-) Maybe there'll be more with time ?

EB - so glad to hear your son is recovering so quickly :-) Wonderful photos!

Sharon - congrats on your son's academic achievements :-) Very cool hat! :-)

Dyson - great to hear you're getting back to normal :-)

Kiska - love the photo of your GD with the rhubarb leaf. We only use it in jam, but the jam is used on waffles (with whipped cream) and a lot of baking too ;-)

Hildur Eva by her snow angel on Monday :-)

Have a great day everyone - and happy Halloween :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #4142762

Good morning! There are clouds in the sky... I'd almost forgotten what those look like! Rann, Hildur Eva and her snow angel are adorable. :-)

The little bunny went to school wearing her costume today. She seemed to think that was weird, but fun. LOL The big bunny's costume is green instead of yellow, but otherwise the same. I got the costumes on eBay.. There were some very cute bunny costumes on there, too (which would only be fitting, after all!), but they were $50. Ouch! So we went with sweet instead of cute. :-)

The humidity is back, and it's going to be back up in the 80s today. So much for fall. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (19 min ago)
Temperature 56 F 13 C
Dew Point 53 F 12 C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.15 in 1020.9 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling 2100 ft 640 m
Visibility 3 mi 4.8 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 53.1F / 11.7C

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #4142839

Thanks Marylyn :-) Your little bunny is adorably sweet in that costume ;-) lol My younger one thought it was terribly unfair that she couldn't wear a costume to preschool today ... since Selma Rn got to take her costume to school. I'll have to get a photo of them tonight in their costumes. I'm going to go to the grocery store to see if they've got some pumpkins ... ;-)

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #4142912

Let me see, there is so much I have to share this morning and I don't want to leave anyone out, Great photos of the autumn colors, E_B
Kiska, darling DGD with the rhubarb leaf--I didn't know rhubarb got so big!
Rann and Marylyn: such cute photos of your precious little girls
Rann, that was a great wide-angle shot you posted yesterday
Deb, pretty red leaf, too!
Love that hat, Sharon--did you make it yourself! How about a nose to go with it(one with a wart on the tip, of course!) Do you think you could send me a bite of that pie--LOL?
Dyson, did you mean that you like to have plenty of honey-do's pending or plenty of honey-do's accomplished? LOL
Well here are two web sites I wanted to share, especially with Kiska and Sharon. I found them on another forum in another thread and one thing led to another and, well, you'll just have to see them for yourselves:
http://www.plantea.com/marion.htm
and
http://www.kodiak-alaska-dinner-cruises.com

Kiska, I don't know where Kodiak Island is in relation to Palmer (haven't checked the map) but I thought you might find the above sites interesting and you too, Sharon, since you are planning a trip up there next summer.

Still gorgeous autumn weather down here but getting cooler by the day.
Zach's team won their game last night 40-0 and we are headed for the play-offs in a couple of
weeks. :o)

I snapped this photo of some trees across the street from us. They are the only trees in the immediate area that are showing any color right now.
Happy 'candy day', everyone! Don't 'pig-out' too much! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 31, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #4143736

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Sharon,love your hat!
Marylyn,what a cute little bunny you have there!
E_B, happy dance for Jeff! Gorgeous pics!
Marsue,love those trees!
Deb,wow,what a beautiful red!
Rann,great view!Looking forward to see the pics with your girls in halloween costumes! Have you find any pumpkins?
This year I was too busy,but last year I did a pumpkins arrangement. Not such a great picture though!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 31, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #4144237

I am surprised that they observe Halloween in Iceland and Romania. I thought it was pretty much a U.S. thing. I know that the traditions came from Europe, but I thought that it was just the U.S. and maybe Canada that observed it in the modern way.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 31, 2007
78 F / 26 C
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C

Sharon, here is that bowl thing.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 31, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #4144401

Rhubarb Crisp:
Mix: 1 1/2C thinly sliced rhubarb, 1/2C brown sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1TBScornstarch, and 1/4Cwater. (may add additional 1/2 c of strawberries or raspberries)
Make topping:
Mix: 1/2C flour, 1/2tsp salt, 1/2tsp baking soda, 1/2C brown sugar, 1C oats, 1/3C melted butter.
Place small amount of topping in a 9x9 pan.
Add the rhubarb mixture to the pan;
Add the topping mixture
Bake at 350* for 25 to 30 minutes.
We usually serve it with vanilla ice cream; whipped cream is also great.
Happy Halloween and good eating, too.

Cold, rainy and gray. 38*
Sunrise 9:25 Sunset 5:29 no sunshine today.
There are such a great variety of pics today, just love browsing w/coffee and friends.
marsue, Kodiak is about an hour's flight from Anchorage and is where my daughter-in-law is from. Very beautiful island; but she was happy to move here to Palmer where there are roads, etc. Well worth a visit, either by Alaska State Ferry or by plane. The ferry takes several hours and can be a "rough" ride. (just ask my DIL :))
2 weeks ago my son and gson went to Kodiak Island. This is at the southern tip of Kodiak Island.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #4144647

Rann Thanks! I love the hat, its not too spooky! Hildur Eva is adorable! Did you find any pumpkins?
Marylyn Your little bunny is soooo cute dressed like and M&M!
Marsue No I didnt make the hat. Im not very talented in the arts & crafts dept! I bought it! LOL! Thanks for the links!
Adina Thanks! Thats a cute display you had last year!
Kelli The bowl is very cool! Can you use it as a candleholder? Ive never seen anything like it.
Kiska The rhubarb crisp sounds delicious! Another dessert Ill have to make soon!

72.7 F / 22.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 68 F / 20 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the North
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 71 F / 22 C
Clouds: Few 3400 ft / 1036 m
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft / 4572 m

High surf advisory in effect until 5 PM EDT Friday...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect through Friday afternoon...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am to 8 PM EDT Thursday...

Rest of Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s inland...in the upper 60s coast. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Going to work this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #4144972

Wow the dolls are darling from Iceland to Houston.
That bowl is something I'd like to attempt to make.
Yours sure is pretty Kelli.
So many really excited kids out tonight.
May they all return home safe.
;)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2007
1:38 AM

Post #4145111

Sharon, the bowl could be used as a candle holder. It's big enough to put a votive candle holder or one slightly bigger inside.

Some more PA pictures. This is Friendship Hill, the home of Albert Gallatin, who was Secretary of the Treasury under Thomas Jefferson.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #4145116

View from in back of the house

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #4145125

View from out front of the house - There were six deer in this field.

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2007
9:45 AM

Post #4145981

I hope everyone had a great time last night!
Rann - Did the girls do any trick-or-treating? Please post their pictures!
Kelli - Great pictures! Going back to the 2nd picture to the right - what is it that extends into the water?

70.0 F / 21.1 C
Overcast
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 67 F / 20 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 1.8 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15.4 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 600 ft / 182 m
Overcast 1300 ft / 396 m

High surf advisory in effect until 5 PM Friday...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect through Friday afternoon...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 8 PM this evening...

Today
Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Windy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs around 80. Northeast winds 20 mph.

Private plane taking off on my way back to work. It's normal to get buzzed by a plane that is landing too! Although at first it's a little disturbing! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #4146593

Great photos, Kelli: that Mr. Gallatin and his wife
must have had a lot of children because that place looks like a motel! LOL

Sharon, our sky looks like yours, only the clouds are not as dark. and here I thought we were going to have sunny skies all week!
School is out today and tomorrow for teachers' "In Service" days (whatever that is). My BFF and I are meeting for lunch with our granddaughters--my GD is 14 and hers is 12 1/2 and they have known each other since the youngest one was born. We don't live in the same town but we manage to get together with the girls every so often. I'm posting a photo of the girls which was taken after a shopping trip almost two years ago. They each got a hat at Claire's--a little boutique chain that teens love!

Current conditions as of 7:59 am CDT

Mostly Cloudy
Feels Like: 57
Barometer: 30.23 in and rising
Humidity: 72%
Visibility: 7 mi
Dewpoint: 48
Wind: N 5 mph
Sunrise: 7:29 am
Sunset: 6:14 pm
Detailed Local Forecast: A mix of clouds and sun. High 63F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 38F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #4146773

Great pictures. Sure wish I had that view Kelli.
Marsue those two look like real fun.
New Threadhttp://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/786092/
Come on over!;)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2007
7:27 AM

Post #4149401

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/786092/

;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America