Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hoyas: Dee's Big One

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 13, Views: 509
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mairzee_dotes
Long Beach, CA

October 22, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #4110168

In the trhead about "Sellers on Ebay" we mentioned a carnosa called "Dee's Big One" that Abbie's Originals sells.
I have a start of this as does Awanda apparently. Well, Eddie sent me a picture of the flower of this one so I have attached it here. It is pink with yellow coronas.
Now awhile back there was another discussion about a pink flowering carnosa. What I am now wondering is if this is the SAME hoya?
I had never heard of Dees Big One before getting it in that trade with Eddie so I don't know if it is a published name or what.
Anyone know anything about it or who Dee might be? ...or if it is that same pink carnosa some of you have?????
Marcy

Side Note: Guess I should not have put that photo of the flower in here as I did not get permission. I tried to edit it out, but can't figure out how to remove it. However I can give credit to the photographer.
The photo was taken by Michele Davis of Gray Davis Epiphyllum Nursery (www.graydavisepies.com)
Sorry about that.
Marcy

This message was edited Nov 5, 2007 9:22 PM

Thumbnail by Mairzee_dotes
Click the image for an enlarged view.

markroy68
San Francisco, CA

November 21, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #4218142

Marcy, I found this line in an old file from Dale Kloppenburg recently:

"I believe this plant may have come from San Luis Gardens (Rudy Bachmannís) although possibly not. The species is similar to a Hoya carnosa with similar but somewhat larger foliage and larger flowers."

The name on the file was written as "DD's Big One". There were some photomicrographs, but nothing recognizable and no pictures of the overall plant.
Dianesjungle
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #4220516

Hi Marcy
I recently purchased this one from the seller on ebay. Very curious about this one as well...
Thanks for the pic, nice to see what I have to look forward to-I hopeLOL
Diane
ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #4220575

Marcy I do have 2 of these hoyas and both are putting on loads of growth, but no flowas yet, but hopefully soon.

Blessings,
Awanda

Thumbnail by ACsAgapePlants

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #4235809

Wow! That is a beautiful bloom ... and I can't believe how large those leaves are! Hope to see some more pic's when everyone's begin to bloom! It amazes me how many different Hoya's there are and the difference in leaf and bloom size in some of them!
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

April 17, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9085878

Sorry to revive a long-dead thread, but WARNING: do not try to access the site www.graydavisepies.com - it's been assumed by someone with malicious intent.

There is no plant content there anyway.

Incidentally, the plant called 'DD's Big One' has been described as H. skinneriana by Kloppenburg and Wayman in 'Fraterna' Oct. 2011.
It was named for Dorothy Skinner of Modesto CA, and was said to have come into the trade from Randy Bachmann's San Luis Gardens.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

July 27, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9220839

This is the Hoya my father brought from Tennyson, Vic - which is now growing in Melbourne, Vic and has had no issues in Qld, Australia either. It has flowered from Dandenong, Vic, Middle Park, Vic and now Melton - I can't wait for spring! It starts of as a plastic flower - and then the plastic flower unfolds to show such a perfect delicate salmon pink flower. I will try and put up a photo when it comes out. I was told to have it in a Southerly facing aspect? Not sure if this is true. Can someone help me there?

Thumbnail by biddy52

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 27, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9220853

My father had a big sprawling one (in Dandenong as well). I brought some cuttings home late last year and it's growing well here. Will be interesting to see if it flowers here as well. It was always covered with masses of flowers at my father's place. His was towards the south side of the house but still managed to get quite a lot of sun in summer.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 5, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9230547

[quote="tropicbreeze"]My father had a big sprawling one (in Dandenong as well). I brought some cuttings home late last year and it's growing well here. Will be interesting to see if it flowers here as well. It was always covered with masses of flowers at my father's place. His was towards the south side of the house but still managed to get quite a lot of sun in summer.[/quote]

Thank you, we will have to compare notes! LOL
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 5, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9230615

Biddy, are you in Brookfield Qld, where Hoya australis "Brookfield" comes from?
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 11, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9238231

[quote="tropicbreeze"]Biddy, are you in Brookfield Qld, where Hoya australis "Brookfield" comes from?[/quote]

No, we were in Qld for 12 years - moved back to Vic last November - now in Brookfield, new suburb of Melton.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 13, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9239675

There's so many Brookfields around.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

October 30, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9320497

[quote="tropicbreeze"]There's so many Brookfields around.[/quote]

Brookfield is west of Melbourne, Victoria - Melton actually, Brookfield is the estate we are in!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 30, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9320616

There's a Brookfield in Qld, and I think another one in WA. It seems to have been quite a popular name.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America