Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: Gardenias in Houston?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
digigirl
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #4110376

I got a variegated Gardenia from Zone 9 Tropicals during the summer. Currently, it is in a pot on my covered front porch and doing great. I'd like to plant it in the front bed at my house, though. I can't find any information on how these do in our area.

The plant info says hardy outside from zone 8 up, but then it says minimum temp 60 degrees, and it does get colder than that here in the winter. Has anyone grown these in ground in the Houston area?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2007
5:35 PM

Post #4114918

It's difficult to give specific information without knowing the species and variety. This first link has general information. The second link includes the names of a number of varieties.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Rubiaceae/Gardenia_jasminoides.html
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG336

fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #4115656

You shouldn't have any problems in Texas with gardenias. I'm in zone 7b and there are gardenia bushes everywhere. I even kept one in a pot outside against a sunny wall last winter and it made it fine. I'll be moving to the Houston area next year and will definately be planting a gardenia bush.
Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2007
7:43 AM

Post #4117362

I treat my gardenias just like an azalea, and they do fine.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #4120821

You might email Zone9 and ask them, or actually I'll ask them for you. Most Gardenias do well, but the varigated ones mabe be a bit more tender. I'll try to get back to you next week on it.
Rj
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #4121888

I'm near Dallas. We have a few hard freezes every year. When I am expecting that I wrap mine with a cotton sheet or blanket to keep them from being burned. So far. So good.

LouC
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #4123140

Okay,
I spoke with Wayne at zone9 and he said it is fine to plant them in the ground. He said they get about 6 feet tall.

Rj
digigirl
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #4126058

Thanks Randy, you're a star! I got this plant when I was at your house for the meet up a couple of months ago. It's doing great so far, even with these cold evenings, so I was hoping it would be okay!

Thanks for all the info everybody.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007
6:43 PM

Post #4126198

Sure..no problem!
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2007
7:10 AM

Post #4128124

Fancyflea, if you are moving down this way, we need to talk gardenias!!!
When I bought my house, there are 2 kinds of gardenias, here!
In the last month, my normal G has grown almost a foot. I want to take cuttings b4 I get any freeze! Any pointers would be welcomed. It needs to be trimmed so why not make babies!!! lol
Heck, move on down here & I will just share what I have!!!
:~)
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #4129076

Digigirl, I think gardenias in the Houston area do great. I grow regular gardenias in the Dallas area, where we get colder for longer. I've had them for about 15 years. They are up against the house, and other than that I don't give them any protection. If we ever have a winter here again where it gets below 20, I would throw a sheet over them or something, but they can take a normal 8a winter. Some years they get a bit of frost burn, but they bounce right back.

Is yours a dwarf? Dwarf gardenias are less hardy. Mine (in the ground) didn't survive temps in the high 20s. I've always heard that anything below 40 is hard on them. Since yours is in a pot, can you move it inside on cold nights?
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #4129141

Funny you should mention cuttings, Smokette. It's a great time to do cuttings for you. Here are some cuttings I started last year about this time. The yellow leaves are natural and what happens to the older leaves. It was from my neighbors huge old 8 ft. gardenia bush. I took 4"-5" cuttings from the NEW growth(3 to 4 sets of leaves). I stripped the bottom 1 or 2 sets of leaves, dipped them in Rootone and stuck them in prepared moist soil. I used a small 3" yogurt container with holes on the bottom for drainage for each cutting. That way I could transplant the cutting easily into a larger pot in the Spring. Soil was half sand and half potting soil. Then I covered them up with a plastic bag. I took the bag off for a few hours every other day or so, to give them some fresh air. I kept them in the house in indirect light for the first month to 6 weeks. Then moved them slowly into the sun when I saw signs of new growth. I did 8 cuttings and 5 made it. Not bad for my first, I tell ya!
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #4129175

Here is a dwarf gardenia that made it through last winter. I put it up against the south side of my house along with a bunch of other potted plants. The scent of the dwarf gardenias aren't as strong as the large ones. This one I saved from being tossed at Lowes.
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #4129362

Those look like what I have. They came with the house. My drawfs on on the north side of my house. One is right under the dryer vent. I haven't really trimmed them b/c I didn't know how but think I will definitely try to make some babies.
:~)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America