books by Mary Roach- Spook, Stiff- nonfiction

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Very interesting well researched books that are very funny along the way.
Spook explores research into proving or disproving the afterlife. Stiff describes various fates of human corpses.

Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I read Stiff a while ago and found it absolutely fascinating! I'll look out for the other book.

you'll like it as much I promise.

(Zone 7a)

I have them both and liked them as well. I have TONS of books like these. Some of the best are Dead Men Do Tell Tales, Written In Bones and Death's Acre. I'd have to go downstairs to get the authors and I'm not up to that right now. They aren't as amusing as mary Roaches but very informative and tell you just how much people care about discovering the truth behind a murder or death in general.

Another interesting book on medical stuff was-well I don't exactly remember the title. Like Honey, Mud, Maggots, maybe. Well, it went in depth on some traditional healing methods, like honey or sugar as antibacterial, whether dog's licking wounds could be helpful, leeches of course, maggots, saunas or hot baths... It was interesting.

(Zone 7a)

See if you can find the title, Sally. I'd love to read it. There is another one I have called Corpse.

615.88 R 1997

Honey, mud, maggots, and other medical marvels : the science behind folk remedies and old wives' tales
Root-Bernstein, Robert Scott.
Voila! the power of the interenet. The listing from my library. I can't beleive my brain retained that and loses lots of more relvant things....
Sounds like you and I could talk weird gross stuff all day, kwanjin!

(Zone 7a)

Sure thing, Sally! DH gets grossed out when I watch the autopsy shows on TV during dinner. There's no one I know around here that is as fascinated by this stuff as I am. And my brain retains the funniest things, too, so don't feel like the only one! LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, I love Mary Roach's writing! She writes with respect, but is also funny enough she makes me laugh aloud as I'm reading. She's great. I'll have to check out the others you've mentioned in this thread; forensics is something which interests me.

(Zone 7a)

This is funny because I was just thinking about this thread this morning. I just received a book in the mail. Forensic Detective by Robert Mann. He workd on identifying some of the young men in the Dahmer case.

I agree about Mary Roach. Touching and funny.

Re Dahmer- I was at the library once , in fiction, just browsing, picked out a book by Joyce Carol Oates. Thought' isn't she well known? this oughta be good" Well. it was a fictional first person account by a Dahmer type person. Skillful in that she could write like that but horrible, gruesome details.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Dean Koontz has a knack for getting inside villains' heads, too. He's not a forensics guy, but I thought I'd chime in. Love his characterizations and dialogue, too.

(Zone 7a)

Might have to check that one out, Sally. What was the title?

gee, sorry I don't remember. I could try to search the library site, I'll get back to you on that.

(Zone 7a)

Don't go to the trouble. I can check it out. Thank you, though.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Amazon.com lists a boatload of titles by that author. She has novels, plus short stories included in various anthologies. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-7825718-1356804?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Joyce%20Carol%20Oates

(Zone 7a)

Sally, was it one of these?

http://jco.usfca.edu/works/novels/index.html

Just not ringing any bells . I'm going to try the library site.

http://ibistro.aacpl.net/uhtbin/cgisirsi/Fc20kqC7V0/ANN/222460033/9

Try that. It is Zombie

(Zone 7a)

Looks pretty good. I like JKO. I also might have to check out The Zombie Survival Guide. complete protection from the living dead. LOL

I have another sort of related. The Field Guide To Demons. Much fun to be had there.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2007 10:06 PM

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Hey there sally! Good to see you again.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Mary Roach has a new book out caled "Bonk" which explores sexuality. If you have read "Spook" and "Stiff", you can imagine that this one will be a hit!

Sally, I have some forensics books if you want to borrow them. I can media mail them to you.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for posting about it - I'll put in a request at the library!

gee jlp222- that's a nice offer. I ofund the 'body farm' part of Stiff fascinating, had read some of that forensic stuff in fiction (Sue Grafton maybe?) . But I would want to return the favor some way, but how?
Can't wait to read Bonk, but with kids in the house.........have to disguise it I guess!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is what I have if you are interested:

Discecting Death - David Carroll and Frederick Zugibe
The Second Murder 2 Casebook of Forensics Detection - Colin Evans
The Anatomy of Motive - John McDougalas and Mark Olshaker

Let me know if you are interested in borrowing any of them.

again-so nice o you to offer- I'm going on a trip next week and really should be planning and packing- maybe in a few weeks I could get back to you on that?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Sure, just let me know.

She's got a new one!!!! Packing for mars: (the curious science of life in space (or something like that)) its as funny or more than Spook and Stiff. and informative.
(thanks to my sister for the Xmas gift!)

(Zone 7a)

Oh, oh, OOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!! Gotta get that one!

Hey, hi! I thought I'd see ya when you heard this! It is great.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks for letting us know about it and thanks to your sister!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I loved Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, and Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex had me transfixed. She's terrificly funny with a scientist's curious mind. Love her!

gardenwife, I agree. You have to read 'Spook' and 'Stiff', too

I bet she even has a website. I think she gets in Readers Digest at times.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.