Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Welcome Mat: Hello from WKy

Communities > Forums > Welcome Mat
bookmark
Forum: Welcome MatReplies: 11, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pandora125
Symsonia, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #4115210

Hi everyone from Symsonia Ky. I found your little group when I was looking for info on dahlias and rhododendrons. I have been gardening for quite a few years now and after reading a few posts, I suppose I will have to throw in the towel and start amending my soil. No amount of fertilizer is going to help the clay spots in my yard. I have a 'new' yard now and would like to landscape, have a nice flower/herb garden and have a vegetable garden. I make soap for my personal use and for friends and family. Photograpy is a hobby of mine. Here is a pic of my clematis.

Just wanted to say hello to all.. so glad I found this site-so much good info here!

Vicki

Thumbnail by pandora125
Click the image for an enlarged view.

threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

October 23, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #4115214

Hi Vicki, and welcome to the garden!! You will meet a lot of friendly folks in your search for information. Don't be afraid to look around at all the different forums...I am sure there will be more than a few that appeal to you.
Lee Anne
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2007
7:11 PM

Post #4115235

Vicki, welcome. If you look on the right side of the page you'll see a box with Member List. Click on that, then scroll down and you'll find a list of states, click on yours and then select subscribers only. You will then have a list of the active folks in your state. You can get to a page by clicking a name and you can send them a d-mail. Lots of us have met people who have similiar gardening interests in that way.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #4115510

hello, and welcome from upstate new york. beautiful picture. one of my favorite colors. have a dress shirt that exact color.

pandora125
Symsonia, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #4118854

thanks so much for the warm welcome...i did search through the subscribing members and found a few in the next counties over! the forums here are great..so nice to know that other people are as plant crazy as i am!

the jackamanii is one of my favorite plants and one of the first. ive had it for years, getting ready to transplant it now that the rain has softened up the ground enough to dig. :)

happy gardening, hope to see your posts again

Vicki

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #4118918

Howdy neighbor!!!

I'm about 15 miles from you over near Benton...you'll love this place. I've been here since nearly the 'beginning'. There were less than 300 members back in Jan of '01 when I found DG.

Isn't this rain wonderful? I've only mowed 8 times since March this year. No Veggie garden, and lost some mature shrubs to the drought.

There's several of us active in the area, and we also have a big gathering over on Lake Barkley every Sept. Lots of DG folks come and visit, swap plants and eat good food. Had DG'rs from as far away as AZ and OR this year show up.

If you need any help navigating, or have any questions, feel free to shout. There were only 5 forums when I joined, and none of the other features that are now taken for granted. I was on the 'testing end' for most of the stuff as Dave added it.

Welcome from Marshall County!!!
pandora125
Symsonia, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #4126201

hi Melody:)

wow-we are close arent we? i see that there is a handful of DGers in WKY. it must be wonderful to see this site go through such growth!

and YES i'm loving the rain. what a strange growing season we have has this year. i mostly notice that the evergreens have suffered. to tell you the truth, i'm surprised that all i had did survive. i managed to can a few tomatoes. but that was the extent of my veggie garden this year. i planted moonflower this year and it thrived!

i think i put gas in the lawnmower twice ...amazing since we can usually watch the grass grow around here!

plant swap sounds like fun:D i already have plans to try winter sowing and hypertufula if i can ever find perlite and a bag of PC small enough for me to handle.

again, thanks for the warm welcome..
Vicki
KeyWee
Hardin, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
7:16 PM

Post #4307631

Hey!! I am new ~ from just west of Hardin in Marshall County. In November, I completed the 13-week Master Gardener session offered through the extension office out there on 58 & 641. We had to travel to Princeton for most of the classes but the experience was well worth it!
Four of us from Marshall County finished the course and will now begin our stint of 30 hours community service. Let me know if you-all need any help with anything!
I also belong to the Marshall County Five Seasons Garden Club and am (semi) active there. Sometimes time does not allow ...:)
This time of the year, I always get restless. That's whay I joined here ~ to see what's up in garden talk. I have swapped seeds and plants through other sites to almost every corner of the country and I enjoy sharing with local gardeners as well.
So, hey ~ what's up ~ dying to meet ya!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2007
7:24 PM

Post #4307671

howdy KeyWee! I'm just down the road from you! I live right across from the middle school at South Marshall. I spoke to your garden club once a few years ago and did a slide presentation on heirloom veggies. Nice folks.

Right now, I'm laid up in the house with 2 broken ankles due to a car accident, but I'm looking forward to spring and lots of gardening 're-hab'

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #4332243

Hi Vicky,

I have been a member of DG for a few months now and I am already an addict. I live in the same zone as you do here in PA. We are in the "slate belt" and have nothing but clay and rock.

I stopped digging and just got a load of topsoil delivered to our property. I mix wheelbarrows 1/2 full of this and add peat moss and usually composted manure. It makes life so much easier for me and I no longer dread putting in new plants. Soon all the mounds will come together and I will have a "raised garden" instead of just mounds.

My roses did beautifully in the two years that we are here and everything seems to be enjoying this method of growing also.

Good luck to you!!

Regards

Teri

This is what our grounds looked like 2 years ago. We were surrounded by either mud or dirt.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #4332512

Hello sorry late getting here. welcome
pandora125
Symsonia, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #4421336

Melody i am so sorry to hear about your accident! heres hoping that you are getting around by now-have been so busy here during the holidays...i havent checked in much.
Roses, we are on the same page, i realized that this clay that is called soil just wasnt going to let anything thrive so i amended the soil right off. PEAT MOSS is my friend. i mixed that along with organic matter(from mushroom gardening) to make my flower beds and rose bed. it worked!! i rescued a Mr Lincoln rose and he really showed his apppreciation. gorgeous dark red with a heavenly scent. i'm already planning to expand my rose bed. your yard looked so much like mine did this summer...i do have grass now and not piles of dirt
good news- my peony that i transplanted is going to make it :D during last weeks warm spell, it started to show growth
Vicki

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Welcome Mat Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Introduction pearl 12 Jun 14, 2007 3:08 PM
Louisiana crawdad360 26 May 21, 2009 4:35 PM
Hi Everyone.... From the Chesapeake Bay Area Chesapeake 11 Jun 15, 2008 4:12 PM
Greetings from NE Kansas! azurebloom 11 Sep 29, 2008 1:04 AM
Hello from the Caribbean knotimpaired 14 Sep 3, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America