Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Green Gate Nursery in Seguin, Texas

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 33, Views: 203
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #4116714

Original owners back...i stopped and loaded my entire car full of 4" hoyas for 3.50 each...more begonias (all kinds...canes, rex, etc)...and every houseplant known to man...incredibly well grown plants...my car was packed down by the daughter of the man who originally started this fabulous nursery.

I will just share a few pics...They are located on the loop 123 going around Seguin to I 10...
an absolute must for anyone...

These are just a few pics of what my car was loaded down with...at great prices...begonias so well grown...

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #4116717

I stopped on Thursday and the 'expert' wasn't there...so I stopped back on Monday...I believe she said this is a relative of the hoya and stays in bloom...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #4116723

just running through some of the hoyas from Thursday first
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #4116727

just another new one
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #4116731

let me get to some begonias i picked up...nothing expensive at all...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #4116735

She had giant containers of this one which has a caudex and is treated like a succulent...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #4116737

nice size Cathedral
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4116739

variegated Bolivian Jew
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #4116756

Now I am back home and losing track of what I have posted...
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4116762

What a great bunch of finds! I suppose it is too far away from here for me to visit. Your hoyas I believe are:

1) H. australis
2) really not sure
3) H. carnosa or H. pubicalyx
4) H. imperialis
5) H. curtisii

Sounds like you had a great time!

:) Kim
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #4116765

just oodles of plants...everywhere all over my porch right now...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4116773

you are wonderful...I have no idea of what I have...i will post some more and if you know them...you are a love!!!!!!!!!!! they are so new to me...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #4116777

Philo 'Moonlight'
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #4116783

another begonia
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #4116792

No problem! If you are ever this direction let me know, I can always send you home with some cuttings. I've got more hoyas than I want to think about now that they all have to come inside...lol.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #4116794

they had so many canes and rexes ...i couldn't even decide...some were in the biggest hanging baskets I have ever seen...

back to hoyas in a minute
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4116797

Blue eyes...you are kidding...I have a good friend in Calvert, Texas...need to go see her...can't you find somewhere for all your hoyas this winter??????????
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #4116803

another begonia...only post a few more and back to hoyas
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #4116809

I forgot to post a pic of a giant Whirlpool begonia...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #4116820

I got a lot of her on my way back...can't remember what the lady said
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:22 AM

Post #4116827

I am tired tonight...but I have about a dozen kind more...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #4116836

blue eyes...most of the names you gave me I already had...she gave me names I have never heard of...but that doesn't mean much...plus I don't have them planted up yet...will be able to tell more later...

She told me that the way she identifies them is by their leaves...never the bloom...

I am going to call and have the awning people put up roller shades of poly over my screens outside on the porch...I have electricity out there on the south side of the house and I think that since the porch goes all the way across the front of the house with doors inside to the house, I can protect most anything this winter with the poly shades up...and a heater...

i am in zone 9a and you are in college station...a lot colder
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #4116848

Lol...oh I will find room for them all, rest assured, but every time I need to move them in or out it dawns on me how many I actually have. Seriously, if you come this way give me a holler. I will be gone this weekend, I am heading to meet my parents and then we are all going up to the North Texas Roundup. But I am here most weekends, grad student life doesn't allow for much else. I like to share cuttings of my plants, and I would be happy to give you some. I wouldn't mind finding some begonias like you have pictured so far. I know when I found the ones I got at Caldwell's a couple weeks ago I felt like I hit the lottery. It's a great feeling!

blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #4116865

Yep...a bit cooler here but it's ok. I move all the hoyas from the greenhouse to the house, and then that gives me room to move all of the outdoor plants that need overwintered into the greenhouse. It's a big circus this time of year...lol, as well as in the spring when it all turns back around!

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #4116871

Kim...I have a lot of trades going out in the next week or two...but would love to mail you cuttings and leaves of begonias...have a trade going with begoniadude right now and Brenda...we all love to propagate begonias...

We have our state AV convention in Kerrville Nov. 8 and then comes home all my adult kids and grands for the holidays...but we will stay in touch...love begonias, too...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #4116877

Well... (LOL) I am not feeling sorry for you if you have a greenhouse...I am just trying to make a temporary greenhouse out of my front screened in porch...
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
12:37 PM

Post #4117738

Gail

What type of heater are you going to use out there?
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #4117743

Hello, my favorite gardening partner in crime!!!!!!!!!!! I have to find out what is safe to use...I think it will be expensive as it will have to be electric but it is better than losing all my plants...are you going to wrap your patio and top in poly, too?????????
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #4117959

Yes I plan on getting Craig to cover at least half of the patio in poly so that I keep my tropicals from taking such a hit plus I am putting my metal shelf in the shop with lights for coleus cuttings and seeds and that is where I am considering putting a heater. TARodgers on the coleus forum uses a heater in his shop. I asked him what type and he said oil filled so that if it tips over there is no open flame or something or other.

Here's the link.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4115544

When do you think we need to put up the poly? You know it will warm up in a few days and be too hot right now to put up poly--don't ya think. Maybe December????? I still have coleus in the ground. I need to be taking coleus cuttings on pretty soon. Just haven't been motivated to do much in the garden. Doing good to keep everything watered.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4117991

gosh thanks, Patty...I need to order that one or find one...good thinking...i always worry about fire...

I am calling the awning shop in CC today just to get an estimate on roller shades of poly so that on pretty days i can enjoy the front porch...you are right...if I cover it now it will be too hot...you could always cover the top and leave the sides open until it gets cooler on a consistent basis...or at least leave the main side to the back yard open for a while...

I wish you could put your stand in the house somewhere...last year i tried leaving my heating mats out on the front porch with the gro lights...the air was too cold to be rooting...didn't work very well...

Even if you have to put it someplace you don't want it permanently it would mean that you could grow successfully all winter long in the house...so what if you have to shove up furniture...that is what i do anyway...
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #4118128

I could put it in the house. It's the watering mess that I don't want to deal with. That's why I think I should get a heater and put it in the shop. I think we should talk to the people at Turners and see if they can recommend something. If not I'll put the shelf in the house maybe in the dining room by the french doors.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #4118171

patty, I have gro lights on carpets all over the house...it is not hard...besides, you can always use trays of some kind...i can help you get set up so you don't have a watering mess...

You need it in the house for success!!!!!!!!!
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #4118447

Perhaps if she had a seedling mat underneath the trays the shop would work ok? Then you would be increasing the temperature where the roots would be. Just a thought. I use them indoors all winter long, otherwise it is still too cool to root the hoyas.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #4119027

Kim...I had two four foot gro lights on two 60" heating mats...very professional ones that have a thermostat, etc...tried to grow on my front porch up against a warm house and it did not work...moved them inside and could propagate all winter long...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America