Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: Trying to germinate Gerbera Daisy seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 9, Views: 273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
prabal
Cupertino, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2007
4:08 AM

Post #4117192

Hello,

I bought a pack of Gerbera seeds online and planted them in 2.5" pots. I filled each pot with a peat moss and perlite mixture, thoroughly misted it and then planted the seeds. After doing so, I covered the pot with clear plastic. Over the last two weeks, I have been taking these out during the day, and bring them indoors after sunset.

The good news is, in about two weeks, 25% of the seeds have germinated. I see two "true" leaves and they look healthy. I'm confident that others are on their way.

My question is: for the ones that are showing these true leaves, should I take them out of the germinating medium and plant them in potting soil? Are they ready for this, or should I wait. If so, how long?

BTW: as an experiment, I made a little hole in the plastic covering in one of the pots where one seed had germinated. The little one wilted in a day and never came back :(

Thanks much in advance for any input you may have!

Take care,
Prabal.
prabal
Cupertino, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2007
4:56 AM

Post #4117278

Well, this's what the sprouts look like as of five minutes back :)

Thumbnail by prabal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #4118130

I think you're supposed to wait until you see the 2nd set of true leaves before you transplant. And when you do transplant them, you'll have to adjust them gradually to living in lower humidity--if you do it all of a sudden as you discovered they'll dry up. So I'd leave the cover on, and try taking it off for brief periods, then gradually extend the length of time that you leave it off until they're out all day.
prabal
Cupertino, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2007
10:55 PM

Post #4119959

Thanks ecrane3! I'll exercise a bit more patience :)
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

October 25, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #4121973

HI prabal,
I started some Gerbera seeds in February of this year. I had about a 30% germination rate. I left the plants in the germination medium until they had four leaves. I didn't cover the pots, so the plants didn't have to adapt to less humidity.
They are very slow growers, and after all this time they have 8 true leaves. Can't see that they will flower this year...
I read on the internet that they don't like their crowns wet, so I made sure to to plant them too deep when I potted them up, and I water them in the morning to prevent them from being damp at night. So far so good... I hope to have some lovely flowers next year.
Good luck,
Elsa
prabal
Cupertino, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2007
6:44 PM

Post #4122769

Hello Elsa,

I realized that I was wrong and what I see are actually cotyledons and not "true leaves". So you're right that I do need to wait until I see 4 leaves, of which 2 should be "true".

If you had 30% germination rate in the native land of Gerberas, I'm feeling pretty good with my 25% out here in west coast of US :)

And yes, I was warned by the local nursery guys that they are **very** slow growers.

Please share some pics of their growth if you can.

Take care,
Prabal.
Beth_Lowe
Nampa, ID

July 9, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5230889

Hi All,

I am so excited to have all the great information you have provided about germinating Gerber Daisies. It was no wonder I was not having success getting the seeds to grow. I never knew what was involved. Have any of you grown the daisies from the seeds of the flower itself? I can't wait to get started growing some myself.

Thanks,

Beth
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 10, 2008
4:46 AM

Post #5233754

Hi Beth,
I started some from seed that I harvested from a friend's flowers. They are doing great, and will transplanted into my beds soon.
The harvested had an almost 100% germination rate. Just shows you how important fresh seed is..

Good luck,
Elsa
Beth_Lowe
Nampa, ID

July 10, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5235989

Elsa,

Did you use any special kind of soil for germinating them?
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 11, 2008
5:04 AM

Post #5239626

No, I used ordinary potting soil. Here in SA, we don't get seed starting mixes. I can get hold of three types of potting soil, and I use the finest one. Some of the others are so course, that the water runs straight through... I start feeding with a diluted mix (usually seaweed) after the secondt set of true leaves.
I do find however that the plants tend to grow quicker once it is in the garden soil. Our soil is loamy, and I add lots of organic matter to it yearly.

Another month and a half to Spring. Can't wait!

Which ones are you growing / did you grow in the past?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America