Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Banyan tree

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 41, Views: 242
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #4120618

Thought you might like to see the banyan tree in the town square in Lahaina - it covers an acre (there is acually more than you can see in the photo). It hold the title of the worlds largest Banyan, until another comes forward to claim the title!. It is still spreading by sending down new roots which form trunks.

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #4120629

My little pond area this morning, 'scuse the tiolet brush - I use it to get the algae...

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #4120644

LOVING my new camera!

DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4120657

There are banyan trees so large that people get lost in them and are never seen again... so I'm told.

There is a huge one, though I haven't seen it personally, down at Edison's place. I hear it's extremely large. Don't know if it would be as large as yours or not.

Take care,
Donna
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #4120824

Great shots BHM! WOW that is some Banyan tree! Love the brugs!

Donna, we used to live nearby in Green Cove Springs 1959-63!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2007
10:15 AM

Post #4121322

Here in Naples Florida we lost hundreds of beautiful mature Banyans to hurricane Wilma, two years ago yesterday... they are magnificent trees. That picture is amazing!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #4122012

wonderful,Jen. The pond is so pretty with the brugs blooming. Ihave 5 that were just seeds this last spring...about 3 feet now and am trying to get them inside so they don't freeze. Can't wait for the blooms.

Last nights news told of a 15 year old spending 3 days in ICU after he ate the seed of Datura. Thought that would be a good "trip". Almost his last. I have them blooming everywhere today.

Happy Day,

Christi

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 25, 2007
4:06 PM

Post #4122292

Beautiful...I just love big huge trees don't you.Oh the pond and Angels ...sigh =^) thankyou for the lovely pictures!
I hate to think of all the trees and everything else destroyed by nature when she is rampant I hate to think of the losses that everyone will be counting after these fires.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4127778

Jenny - Beautiful! Great banyan, but the pics of your pond area and beautiful flowers are even better. I'm so glad you are enjoying your new camera! So far, so good with my 3 new angels...but we have had 2 solid days of rain, so I hope they don't drown!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #4127888

Two of my brug cuttings have leafed out and are looking good! I have a brug seedling that is not about 5" tall. To think he could bloom next year would be totally amazing!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #4127934

Glad to hear the brug babies are surviving for you guys, don't forget they are absolute pigs for fertilizer, although I would only feed half strength whilst they are still so small. They also seem to love alfalfa tea.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #4127936

Yes Mam! We'll have to get some alfalfa tea!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #4127938

Good to know, thanks!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #4128853

Bringing mine inside today. Should we be fertilizing through the winter? I have never had them and don't know if they go dormant.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #4128967

Gosh, I don't think so, but then I am no expert about overwintering (or anything else!) I would think that you have two options - you can let them go dormant with just a little water to keep them just hydrated or you could put them in a sunny spot near a window to keep them growing, in which case I would think you would fertilize.

I think perhaps they have some answers over in the Brugmansia Forum on overwintering, most of those folks have cold winters to deal with and would know what to do...

WQarmest Aloha!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #4129416

Your garden is beautiful, Jenny...those brugs are terrific. I throw TBLspoons of MG on mine before or during a big rain...and the rain washes it in. YES, just the powder, un diluted!! They love it.

I definitely have to come visit your garden Jenny...!!

Aloha,

PS NZ is terrific. The flax is blooming so the colorful and melodious TUI (birds) are out...beautiful wx...

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #4130459

Carol, big rain, what's that? If it ever does rain I'll chuck down MG like you do! How very much easier than lugging the watering can!

Thanks for your kind words on my garden but it really is only just getting done - half the garden has nothing done to it yet, STILL waiting on the septic - it's becoming a joke! Trying my best, but you should see the garden I have in my head!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 28, 2007
5:29 AM

Post #4131175

Didn't know they had the Man-ya-na attitude in Hawaii, Jenny. Guess the shaka can just as easily mean "whenever" as "hang loose". Too bad you can't take pics of the garden in your mind! Ha Ha...
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #4131968

Oh Shari, it's so bad it's know locally as "Maui time" which is on a different schedule than anyone else in the world!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 28, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #4132693

Our version of Manana time is "Bynbye" (bye and bye)..it gets done...but...?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 28, 2007
8:41 PM

Post #4132858

Ha ha...out here it's just "island time", but then we all know that we live in the Kwajical Kingdom...if anything gets done, it's pure magic! Guess the attitude is world wide...

I'm at the age now that it doesn't bother me so much...ceiling leaks...put the cat under the leak - he's getting a little ripe. Window leaks - good spot for plants - lots of humidity...

Doesn't do any good to complain, who would listen? So I just try a work around. Then if someone shows up ...its a pleasant surprise.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #4132870

jenny, nice pics. by the way my brugs you sent me are doing great. thanks again

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #4133012

What memories this thread stirs in this old polar bear's brain on this beautiful Sunday afternoon. I spent a few hours walking through the banyan in Lahaina, enjoying the peace and serenity that reigns under these fantastic treas. I had felt the same when I walked through the one that stands in Fort Myer's at Henry Ford's and Thomas Edison's winter estates, although admittedly a smaller specimen. They have the world's third biggest banyan. They are so astounding.

Here is a composite panoramic picture, made from 4 shots that were merged together using PhotoShop. After you click on the icon, a cursor should appear at the bottom of your screen, allowing you to move the image from left to right on your screen.

Mahalo nui loa, Braveheartsmom and Aloha, y'all.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #4133016

Rats! my image has been cropped. Well, you still get the idea, somewhat.

Sylvain.
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #4134034

HI
LOUC told me about this forum and I had to pop in and see all the great looking plants she has been telling me about.

I have to ask if you are anywhere near HILO as I have a good friend that I meet online and have talked to for several years now that lives in Hilo and she shares pictures of Hawaii with me ...I am wondering as here is a picture of a banyan tree that she took and sent to me. Not sure just where it is other then somewhere near Hilo.

Thumbnail by Mibus2

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #4134046

Another great friend to love our tropics forum.
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #4134092

I love the tropics may not be able to travel to them but the pictures take me there and what better place to enjoy the sights then here and learn more about them all.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4134104

Go to the Under the Sea threads. They number backwards from #7 to#1. To die for.

Will really, really make you want to go to the islands. All of them.
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2007
3:09 AM

Post #4134176

I already want to go ...here is another one of many pictures my friend has shared with me not counting the CD she sent me in 2001 but will head over to the thread and take a slow walk through

Thumbnail by Mibus2

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #4134215

Hi there Mibus2! Welcome to the Tropical Gardening Forum...our wonderful LouC is head cheerleader for our little conclave, but we have lots of other fun folks all more than willing to share our ups and downs with a new friend. Hope you enjoy your stay here, and come back to visit often!
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2007
3:28 AM

Post #4134245

thanks and I sure will I love seeing pics form all over and especially tropics and as for ups and downs LouC can tell ya I know how it goes and have shoulders and eyes to listen with for support.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2007
5:21 AM

Post #4134507

Aloha Mibus, and welcome! Hilo is on the Big Island (Hawaii) and I live on Maui. One of our other friends, Carol, lives on the Big Island and has the most beautiful "tropical paradise" garden. I don't think there is a thing she can't grow there - in fact she was telling us that her ginger plants are almost weeds!

Polar Bear, thanks for you composit photo of the Banyan - I had to take a picture of a post card! I certainly don't have the skills to take panoramics or do merging! It really does have a nice feeling under that tree doesn't it?

Glad the brugs are faring well, nice to see you pop in!

Warmest Aloha to all...
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #4135292

Aloha BHM and thanks for the welcome!!

ok now I know which island you are on that helps ...I get them confused unless I am looking at a map of them.
The two pictures I posted are from my friend in Hilo and she takes them all over her island and shares.

I think it is grand you can grow so much over there. the Flowers are just beautiful and the banyon trees WOW

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #4135875

I couldn't tell the islands apart until I set foot upon them. That's all in the past now. Each island has its own personality, environment, landscape and I could probably tell them apart just by smelling the warm breeze that blows 24/7.

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
5:55 PM

Post #4135966

OH I'm gettin' excited.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #4136611

Aloha, Minibus...yes, I live quite near Hilo. Would love to know your friend! True, Sylvian...the islands do have their own personalities...I think.

Carol

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
9:16 PM

Post #4136660

What a difference there is between learning about any faraway place from books or documentaries on TV and actually being there, experiencing it firsthand. I have been to most of the caribbean islands and they ALL have their own characteristics, even when they are only separated by a narrow stretch of ocean. Case in point: Martinique, Dominique, Guadeloupe: 3 french caribbean islands, each one next to the other but 3 very distinctive places. Before I went there, I considered them to be neighbours, therefore just about one and the same. Not so, monsieur bear.

We are watching the progress of tropical storm Noel, who has killed people in the Dominical republic and is currently spinning between Cuba and Haiti. We may feel that one here in Fort Lauderdale in a few days as soon as the meteorologists can make up their mind.

Take care.
Sylvain.
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #4137792

Aloha, AlohaHoya

I suppose the islands are kinda like the main land each state is different and every part of a state is different to but there is something about the islands that intrigues me and others I'm sure.
Maybe it is the way it has been portrayed in movies or just in watching tv and the documentaries or for me it is the pictures of Hawaii that my friend shares with me.
I have picutres on a CD of the Fish Auction, Lili'uokalani Gardens, Wailoa River State Park, Tanabata Matsuri, Coconut Island, Ho'olaule'a, Reeds Bay and Richardson Bay Park.

I will have to look up her snail mail addy again I ended up sending her a ntoe when I moved as the email addies were not correct anymore

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #4137820

Told you this was a great bunch of people.

LouC
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #4137831

Yes you did ands you are so right I have already learned differences in the islands I never thought about
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

November 15, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #4196819

Rereading some old threads...

One of the differences in the islands is that as you start in the N. with Kaua'i...the islands are older (the plate moving over the hotspot) and when you get S. to the Big Island, we have newer land, more lava, more activity. Only soil is on the N. side where the ash blew...and on the NE side...and we are the poorest!!!

Carol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #4197164

Carol, appreciate every little tidbit we can get.

Didn't know anybody else re-read threads. I do all the time. Can't retain all of the information the first time around...or sometimes the second or third.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2007 4:19 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America