Photo by Melody

Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict: Plant Addicts Unite!

Communities > Forums > Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict
bookmark
Forum: Article: True Confessions of a Gardening AddictReplies: 35, Views: 389
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 25, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #4121920

Oh Jeremy I wish you were not half a world away from us...it would be wonderful to have Plant addict meetings...we all know the joys of plant addiction here at daves garden...I thought I was a pretty case until your article...I feel so much better now and would love to talk palliative plant care for hours with like minded addicts...I suspect you are a real treasure! thankyou for a great article.
I am chrissy and I am a plant addict ...ha ha ha

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2007
10:52 AM

Post #4124832

Hi Jeremy, I'm Kathleen and I have been a gardening addict for many years. At this point my joints don't allow me to do as much gardening a previously, so I have proceeded to involve my darling, innocent granddaughter in my addiction - I have no shame!
DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2007
12:19 PM

Post #4124992

Hi Jeremy, count me in too as a fellow addict. I don't think there is anything you described in your addiction that I couldn't relate to. Oh and the discarded orchids, oh my, I do love to fall on those buys.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
1:13 PM

Post #4125171

Good Morning, My name is LouC. I am an addict.

Loved the essay. Read every single word. Hope you are able to convince another garden manager the wisdom in saving the disenfranchised.

Christi

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #4125208

My name is Melody, and I'm a plant addict...

At least your addiction has not progressed to the point that you're saving seeds from every spent blossom and over-ripe vegetable you run across. My 'seed box' has turned into a 'seed closet...which upon recent inspection, now warrants the title 'Seed Room"

Be afraid...be very afraid...

Seriously, this was a great read...loved every second of it!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #4125553

Jeremy... Thanks so much for being brave enough to stand up an admit you are an addict. I sure don't feel so alone now. I too am a garden addict.

At first I thought you were the gentleman who use d to come til the change to the bix box I used to work at. We would load all them racks into the back of his open utility truck. Piling plants as high and in every corner and every which way we could and watch him drive off leaving a trail behind him of the odd pot fallign of f the truck as he went.

You are so right in it being an addiction wors e than anything else out there. The worse parts I think are when ya happen to stumble upon great sales or the one ya never seen before that just has become your newest I gotta have and ther eno money in yoru pocket and you starty digging in and under car seats, ash trays, dumping your purse and wondering if you would get arreste d for standing out front with a cup in your hand askign for donations to get enough money to buy those plants.

Thanks so much for the article, it was enjoyable to read and now as I get ready to go out and play and check on my babies I will do so with that warm fuzzy feeling and bunches of chuckles today as I reflect back on your story.

threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

October 26, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #4125679

Hi,,,my name is Lee Anne, and I am a plant addict too

wonderful article!!!! Was a nice read with my morning coffee, I loved every word of it.
Starlight, I have done that too...dumped out my purse, looked under the car seats, in the ashtrays, even stooped to using my Moms bank card (shhh)...plant addicts unite!!
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #4125725

Hello Everyone...My name is Jan...I am a plantaholic...I am a zone-pusher...my Tropical Garden includes Brugs, Dats, Cannas, EE's, Castor Beans, etc...the gaudier the color of the flower/foliage the more I "LUST" over it... I DO NOT wish to change my ways..."...an addiction to gardening is not all bad when you consider all the other choices in life..."
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #4125739

Oh man. :) Great article. I'm proud to say that I share many of the same addictions as you. We're moving into November in my Zone 5a garden and I still have things in pots to get into the ground... LOL

This is why I love Dave's, people understand and don't judge. :) LOL
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #4125753

Wonderful article -- and can I ever relate!
susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #4126059

This was hillarious and a fun read!

Susan
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #4126233

I laughed till I cried when you bought all 8!! And saw your horse manure pile! Thank goodness we all have each other!
broncbuster
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #4126351

Jeremy, that has to be one of the BEST articles I've read to date! I'm copying it and sending it to my friends and family. They will say something along the lines of "You've found your long lost brother!" or " He sounds just like you". I'm coming to Jupiter, FL this coming Tuesday and staying til Sunday. Wanna have a PA meeting?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #4126515

ROTLOL!!!!
I think you can see many of us have traveled the same path! I can recommend something to enable, I mean support you.!
I had a local area Daves Garden Plant swap this summer, and while litteraly a thousand plants were swapped, the left overs were as many- since people didn't want to haul them back home!

And if you haven't read about "Dumpster Diving"! Then your in for a treat on this thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/577840/

LOL..I'm still chuckling as my friends eyes roll in their heads when I arrive home with the suv stuffed full of plants and garden art.

do you have photos we can look at. The article doesn't allow for us to enlarge the photos!

Rj
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2007
8:39 PM

Post #4126535

As a newbie, it is scary to read your article, because I have already reached many of these lows in a short three months. I immediately look for the destressed plant rack and scour the internet for sales too good to pass up. I have rescued plants from fire losses I too, have not taken a shower for many hours after gardening in the morning, as I know I will be back outside. I...I...I shamelessly hide pots for DH. Now I know what I am in for and must sadly accept the fact there is nothing I can do about it. . Thank you for showing that I am not alone nor insane, at least in DGers' eyes.
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #4126684

I am a "recovering" plant addict. I am learning that I must plant all of my purchases before going back to the nursery for more.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #4126893

My neighbors think I'm crazy..when I'm ready to change things up in the front garden, I simply wheel out these giant full grown plants I have waiting and ready, my own mini nursery..see..that's the secret guys...start seeds and cuttings all the time and you'll have an endless supply of your own plants. I've gotten great plants from trading!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #4126983

Thanks all for your kind comments and empathy with my obsession with plants and gardening. I had a feeling I was not alone in my addiction.

Broncbuster -- you will probably turn off toward Jupiter before getting to the end of I-10 at I-95. If not, stop by for a visit (same goes to anyone traveling on I-95 through Jacksonville -- I'm only about 2 miles off the interstate about 5 miles due north of downtown Jacksonville). You'll know you have found my house when you see the jungle growth spreading out over the curb and a plant covering every square inch of soil.

**edited to add: I'll start new individual threads to post the photos so you can view the plant bargain mother lode in close up. This forum allows photos only in the first post. You are welcome to share your own photos providing evidence of your addiction in a new thread, too!

Jeremy

This message was edited Oct 26, 2007 6:50 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 26, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #4127016

Oh yes please Jeremy where will you be posting? what forum I mean?
I am sure we fellow addicts want to follow and see!
I recognise some of the folk in here ...I am afraid we have all just "outed "ourselves...oh but we are all in such good company...thanks again Jeremy!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #4127047

Oh LOL>.I didn't realize this was YOU Jeremy...from Florida!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #4127262

Yes, rj, the very same person that lurks in the Florida Forum hoping someone will send me some smidgen of any new plant that is mentioned.

I've created the posts at the bottom of this article with the expanded photos.

Jeremy
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 27, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4127363

OMG, that's the best gardening story I've ever read! Hilarious!
I wonder how many of us see ourselves in your tale...(grin).

Joanne
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #4127519

What a delight - I should print it out and show it to my DH so he could see that I'm really not in such bad shape after all!!! (Darn good thing I don't have more property, though!!!)

Great story - and your threads show what a marvelous writer you are!
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 27, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #4127710

Jeremy, as always your stories are wonderful and so entertaining. Of course, I'm an addict too and have found myself in a heap of trouble with the amount of plants that I currently have. My yard (wish I had your half acre) is only 65' by 105' with a house in the middle. I have managed to cram and squeeze over 500 different species of plants, and that's not counting my 130 + orchids or how many plants I have of each. It's a jungle in there, can't even tell which plant is what, they all merge into one huge mass. With all of that I just can't stop from falling in love with new plants and adding them to my collection.
Yep, I'm definitely sick with Obsessive Plant Disorder. ☺☺☺
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 27, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #4127731

OPD, I love it!

Okay, this summer, I had so many winter sown seedlings (400 - 500) potted up to give away, that I was able to hide new plant purchases among them, and nobody was the wiser...I am so ashamed. NOT.

;p

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
6:02 AM

Post #4128044

Hi, Jeremy, loved the article and I really should be confessing myself as an addict. Have tons of potted plants that are getting ready to go thru their second winter in pots. We get all the plants planted and I trade for and buy more. Dh now knows it's the kind of situation he never gets ahead of ROFL. Good thing he likes the gardens! Thankfully we live rural so don't have to worry about the neighbors. The couple I have know I am but they are too!

We've spoke before, Jeremy, if you remember. It has been awhile. You're from Lincoln Co right? So is DH.

Please keep writing, really enjoyed the read.

Lana
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2007
2:35 PM

Post #4128647

Hey, Lana. Yep, we did discuss that your DH and I were from the same neck of the woods -- between Huntington and Charleston in WVa, nearest small town was Branchland, but my families' adjacent farms on the hill and in the holler were at Two Mile (two miles from Four Mile and one mile from One Mile). One of my few claims to fame is that Gen. Chuck Yeager is a distant cousin (our grandmothers were sisters). My parents knew him well. He used to buzz low over our corn fields for fun in his jet test pilot days. Apparently, his side of the family got all the "right stuff," and the rest of us got all the wrong. LOL

Jeremy
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #4128689

LOL, I remember talking about him with you!

Lana

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #4128939

Bravo! As always, I love everything you write. Thanks!!!
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #4128992

Jeremy, please don't forget to put a link to your new post that has pictures of your garden, ok? :)
cocoajuno
Buckeye, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #4129011

Jeremy,

Not only are you a master gardener, you are a master writer too! You have put on paper the secrets so many of us share. It is written in a way that makes all us feel sane...lol
Thanks for sharing, I will definately print this out for all my friends and family to read.
Happy gardening,
Carla
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2007
5:05 PM

Post #4129112

Thanks again, all, for the kind comments.

Ticker -- Thanks for your interest in viewing photos of my garden. I added some threads below with photos that can be enlarged on the screen of my plant mania garden. Also, you can view the photos I've added to the DG Plant Files of plants I've grown (alas, reviewing the list, I see some that are no longer here):

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/imagesbyuser.php?user=JaxFlaGardener

I love all the newer organizational features of Dave's Garden that can be found by clicking on the "My Info" link at the top of each page, or by going to any member's DG home page. I've especially found the "search the forums" feature very useful for finding what others have had to say about whatever arcane gardening subject catches my fancy on any given day. The quest d'jour is to find out if my hort supervisors at my zoo job are correct in saying that the orange/yellow, light pink, and lemon yellow varieties of Caesalpinia pulcherrima are all the same species. So far, it looks as though they may be correct. In any case, I MUST HAVE one of each color and will be gathering the seed pods from the zoo with gusto so that I can see what I get from the various tree seeds. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2247/

Jeremy
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #4130026

Hi Jeremy, my name is Joy and I too am a plant addict!

I have been following your adventures/misadventures for a long time. I still laugh/shudder at your tree trimming tale. We are soon to have our first frost here in cold NYS but the tropicals I have are still alive and well with the addition of some much needed rain. But soon they will be stored in basement and upstairs till warmth arrives again.

I feel like like a spy following your threads and others in the Tropical and FL gardening forums. I left my heart in FL in 1971 and reading your articles gives me a breath of fresh air. Please continue!

Joy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #4131905

Thanks, Joy! Feel free to follow my meanderings of mind, and reports of gardening mishaps --- just don't blame me if you find yourself totally lost in a thicket of briers with no reasonable hope of escape! (a frequent calamity in my personal experience -- LOL).

If only Bill Gates or some other philanthropist would send me about $150,000 - (dream on!) -- I could get totally out of debt, not have to work, and stay home and complete the novel I'm well into writing but seldom find time to work on due to the constraints of daily survival; and crank out some more oil paintings, while fluttering in ecstatic delight with the large population of butterflies I've enticed to my garden. The eternal allure of the "starving artist" leaves much to be desired. I have suffered enough. My soul is completely ripe. I am now ready to respond to life with a deep from my gut, great gaseous art. (pun intended - tee hee)

Jeremy
Lastelf
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #4133607

My name is Elf. I am a plataholic.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #4133692

Love it, elf.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 4 JaxFlaGardener 2 Oct 27, 2007 5:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America