Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Good Morning

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 42, Views: 183
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #4125917

Well, it is for us...

Coffee anyone?

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 27, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #4127458

looks delicious.

I've got two new puppies - found at the dump while collecting blue bottles. Brings me up to six.

Also, got some bug bite while doing my endless clean-up. Looked at it and said to myself, "Oh, my right front paw is swollen." PAW? I get a flu-like reaction so I've been sleeping a lot.

Tropical bugs can be nasty.

I need an IV of coffee.

katiebear
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #4127509

Lucky you, you can grow coffee. What do you do with the beans? Is it a perticular type?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #4127674

Hi everybody. Been gone almost all day with my cousin. We had a great time. The news of the Ca fires have been holding my attention most of this week. Seems it is about to get under control but it will be weeks before anyone can get back to whatever is normal.

LouC
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4127875

Katiebear - LOL...your Paw!!! But hon, take care of that bite!

Jenny - ooohhhh - coffee! Do you roast them, or just enjoy the view?
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #4127900

I like coffee! I'll be over in the morning... (not...) But I wish I could! LOL
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
4:34 AM

Post #4127921

Katiebear, sorry about your paw, any idea what bit you? How wonderful you are for picking up those puppies, were they old enough to leave their mom, or are you bottle feeding? I hope that someone didn't just dump them...

I believe the coffee is Kona coffee, and no, I don't roast them and grind them...They have a very sweet smelling white flower in Spring but are really kind of a pest because all those berries reseed, luckily they don't travel far so it's just a matter of pulling them up from under the trees, but they are kind of pretty especially when they are bright red.

Aloha to all...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #4127926

Ha Ha...that's what I thought. Roasting your own is tough work, and I'd rather just sip someone else's work, and enjoy the view. Smart lady, Jenny!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #4127937

Got more than enough on my plate with freezing all the other fruit...I am not much of a coffee drinker and I find Kona far too strong for my liking, or at least it is the way they brew it here - the spoon can practically stand up in it all by itself!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
4:46 AM

Post #4127941

LOL...I would probably love it...DH would be like you...we have reached a happy medium at home...too weak for me, too strong for him...LOL...household harmony.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
4:46 AM

Post #4127942

That's like the coffee from Louisiana! My daughter brought some Kona coffee back from her honeymoon a few years ago; they liked it!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #4127945

Shari, about ready for your trip? I bet your little one will really miss her Grandma! Not to mention her Momma, and "the boys"!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
4:50 AM

Post #4127948

I supose I would like it better with a shot of brandy in it to stiffen my backbone...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
5:11 AM

Post #4127997

Hiya Jeanne! Haven't even started getting ready...too much other stuff going on at the moment, but it was sweet of you to ask! How you doin?
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2007
5:26 AM

Post #4128018

Better today. Shari you have a Dmail.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 27, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #4128618

Hi and good morning from Mexico where a cool breeze is blowing. Very welcome after a long hot summer.

My hands are both a little swollen but not painful. It might be at least in part due to sifting sand which had mesquited particles (lots of little stickers). I often don't see the bug that gets me - there are many small nasty ones. Plus some larger ones like scorpions.

The pups are abandoned at the dump. Some go feral and I leave water for them (it's a dessert). They are also usually femrale, as were the two I found. They are big enough to eat regular food (I cook rice with chicken or fish every day for them). The two I found the other dqy were in different areas are are not related but have become good friends. They also got house broken right away.

There is an
American vet who comes and does cheap/free clinics. She was not here last year because of damage to her home and clinic from Hurrican John's 28 inches of rain dumped herre, but I hear that she will be here in December. Hope so.

Have a good day all.

katiebear

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 7:26 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
2:53 PM

Post #4128698

Good Morning.

Such a beautiful day outside I really don't know why I'm not already out there. I am one of the coffee drinkers. Takes 3-4 cups before I am really up and running. I'm with you, Jenny, a little Bailey's after dinner helps the coffee go down. Going to my first RU tomorrow and I can hardly wait. I need to be sorting my seed and cuttings right now. I've gotten to be the worst kind of procrastinator. I really don't care a great deal about a swap but really glad to get to meet a lot DGers that are relatively close. Sorry for you beautiful islanders that this is not an option for you. But then, you live in Paradise.

LouC
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #4128707

A RU must be such fun - how nice to acually meet other DG'ers! Have a lovely day!

Katiebear - you are a sweetheart for taking in those pups, are they getting on okay with your other 4?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #4128824

katie, I'm probably the nosiest person of all. How did you come to be in such a remote area?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 27, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #4128929

Hi - I'm having to deal with some jealousy and "Dancer's" a little depressed because she is no longer the baby (she was re most recent addition before the two new ones). There are a few of us who do a lot of animal rescues, usually with the help of Lorraine, the vet I mentioned. It's a problelm here. Last spring two of my neighbors came to me with five pups they had picked up - said if I couldn't take them they would have to be put down!! They gave me $20 to help pay for food, promised to help find homes and promptly disappearred. Such is life here. I found homes for two, two were hit and killed by cars and I still have one. I have a lot of space but it's hard to keep fenced and I've lost quite a few dogs to drivers who aim for th em. I like the dogs better than many of the people, can you tell?

Lou - How I got here is a long story and I want to write it sometime. Have not felt ready as it is difficult. When I'm ready I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, the breeze is blowing and there is more dirt to sift.

Katiebear
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #4128944

sorry for my impertinent question. later.

Christi
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #4129437

As I lounge in NZ, DH is picking coffee!!! we have about 500 trees and he picks and processes the coffee for friends and family!!! Not ME!!! It is his meditation time!

How wonderful to have adopted those little pups...their lucky DAY!!!

Aloha...

Carol

The trees are Arabica Coffee which is what most of the stock here is.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #4129630

Katie - I too am very interested in your story. When you are ready to tell, you will have many listeners. Bravo for the animal rescue...

Christi - enjoy the RU and take pics to show me when I get there! I do envy you! And I love Baileys and coffee too!

Carol - Ahhh -LO - Haaah! Are you having a wonderful time? Didn't realize that DH didn't go with you... I adore my darlin JB...but a vacation with just girlfriends would be so relaxing ...I just can't imagine. Well, maybe I can. He was out here for three years without me. He came home at Christmas, and I came out here for the summer...but that separation was not by choice, so maybe it can't be counted. Hope you are basking is the glow of your friend's hospitality. Have fun!

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #4130353

Hey Carol! Nice to know you have your "ears on" all the way in NZ! Hope you are having a wonderful time!

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 28, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #4132687

Wwould take a major shift in the constellations for Bob to leave his dogs, tractor, computer, and new lathe!!! i get to have all the fun. Even visiting his kids he goes for 3 days!!!

LOL...

Carol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 28, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #4132866

With some kids, 3 days is enough. I'm sure that's how my Mom thinks of my visits! Ha Ha
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #4133343

Shari, if you need to cut your mom's visit short, we will move the grandsons out and put you in when you come this way.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #4133797

LOL! So, how was the RU?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #4133823

Just great. Had such a good time. Go to the Texas Forum and read "Thank you" and "I had a good time" threads. Various ones are just getting home and uploading pictures and comments. I took my camera and did not get it out when we were suddenly gathering for a group picture. Several others did the honors. Lots of fun meeting others that are so hung up on plants. Like Jeremy's "Addict" article. There we all were at our meeting without shame. Plants everywhere and so much ooowing and aaawing. Wish you could have joined us.

LouC

Dave joined us. Really, really nice person.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #4133848

I'll go check it out. Glad you had a lot of fun!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
12:10 PM

Post #4134824

Here's another ongoing thread I just discovered this morning. Oh, I am so excited. Where have I been? What was wrong with me? I'm quite sure I haven't been abducted by aliens. What happened? Plus, it's all people I know and love already in here: cool.

Braveheartsmom, you grow your own coffee, too? I knew Carol did in her corner of paradise just outside Hilo. Do you have any idea how much of that stuff I brought back in my suitcases? We went to Costco in Honolulu. Costco in Honolulu... how's that for a tourist destination? But I digress. There was a guy right there in the warehouse who roasted, ground and packaged Kona coffee for $8/pound. I thought I was going to faint.

We froze it as soon as we got here and I savour every last spoonful of it. I only have one cup in the morning, LOL. It must be a novelty item because I can empty an 8-cup coffeemaker into that cup, leaving just enough for Gail's morning ration. I like it scalding hot, black as midnight on a moonless night, potent enough to tarnish stainless steel and strong enough to wake the dead. Gail likes it the same way. We both drink it black. But you are right: coffee roasting is a lot of work, requiring specialized equipment. However, if I lived there, I might try my hand at it.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #4135198

Sylvain, you are my kind of guy. We have a motorhome and have traveled around the surrounding states for ever. First thing we do is go to a local grocery store because it is always so different from home. Even just one state away. Or as big as Texas is sometimes 3-400 miles away it is different. Like my coffee black and strong but not so hot.
I would expect you could have a good time anywhere you set your sails.

LouC
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #4135632

LOL Sylvain! That's some strong coffee you drink! No wonder you felt so at home here, Hawaiians like their coffee really strong!

Acually I have been cutting some of the coffee trees down - we had far too many - I don't know if the previous owner planted them or they just self seeded - the latter I expect because our piece of land was very wild and overgrown. We even found things like bedsprings and chairs and old furniture when we started hacking down the undergrowth!

Some of our friend just eat the "beans" straight off the tree, haven't tried them myself...

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #4135925

I love travelling but as everyone must have gathered by now, I am an unconditionnal cruiser. As a matter of fact, we never had a "stay-put" vacation where you check in at a resort and stay there, like beached whales baking in the sun. The closest we came to that whas when we got off the ship in Honolulu and stayed at the Hawai'i Prince for 5 days as we criss-crossed the island from one end to the other. Oh how we enjoyed that Hawai'i Prince hotel. Here's the view from our balcony, facing the marina.

We see the world one port at a time and enjoy ourselves tremendously in between ports of call. Cruise ships allow us to play millionaires. They afford great security in troubled times. My wife being handicapped, the level of service is very important and there's always someone secretly keeping an eye on her when I'm off the ship, exploring our various destinations.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #4135929

The image didn't follow. Hawai'i prince, take 2.

Sorry.
Sylvain.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #4141507

Didn't take second time either. lol.

Been away for a little while. Getting caught up on other forums, had things going on here, working alot, and today got back in the saddle again. Busy, busy, busy. lol

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 31, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #4141698

Hawai'i prince panoranuc picture, take 3. Taken from our balcony.

A word to the wise, do not try to upload PhotoShop format files (PSD). They don't show up on the thread. Here's a JPG format file. If this doesn't work, we'll forget the whole thing, having tried just about everything.

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
3:09 AM

Post #4141834

Nice pool!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2007
11:06 AM

Post #4142374

Dave has this formatted for JPG. The pic went thru.

gorgeous pool!!!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 31, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #4142603

Yes, I realized that when I reopened the file and noticed the PSD extension. That file was 2.5Megs. I had forgotten to flatten the layers and bring down the resolution. After flattening, compressing and saving as a JPG, it was only 250Ks: way more reasonnable and compatible with Dave's.

The high winds have tattered my heliconias' leaves, specially the ones that are facing the wind directly. Tropical depression Noel is spinning towards the Bahamas and we'll feel it later today and tomorrow. At this point, we are out of the predicted trajectory's cone but we are still close to it.

Take care.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2007
1:04 PM

Post #4142705

Beautiful, Sylvain. Sure hope Noel continues to go into the ocean. We are all worn out from worrying about California last week.

Christi
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #4143180

5 am for me, haven't yet seen the news, hope you all keep safe in Florida...

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 31, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #4143286

Tropical storm Noel is moving away from Florida. We will steel feel its disruptive effect but it will be only be a case of strong wind gusts and heavy showere now and then. The Bahamas will play host to Noel instead of us. Let's hope everyone is safe.

Sylvain.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America