Photo by Melody

Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict: By request: Enlargeable photo 3

Communities > Forums > Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict
bookmark
Forum: Article: True Confessions of a Gardening AddictReplies: 3, Views: 236
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #4127132

It wasn't long until all the space in my half acre yard was filled with potted plants. We had to pick our way through the flats of plants to get to the front door.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #4127706

Jeremy, you speak for so many! I laughed, I cried, ... it's all so true!
Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7238689

I gotta find me some bricks! Really!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7240860

Thanks, pixy!

Darla -- bricks are one of the most difficult garden items to scavenge. The bricks in the photo came from the renovation of 8th Street a few years ago. The contractor tore up all the decades old paving stones (about 9 inches x 4 inches x 4 inches) and piled them up in mountains near the street renovation site. I happened to find the head contractor in a ditch trying to deal with a gas leak at the moment I asked if I could haul away bricks from the piles. "Yes, take all you want." he said, just to get rid of me quickly I'm sure.

I hauled bricks for weeks in my old van, in loads that were just below the breaking point of the van's carriage assembly while also giving some consideration to not straining my own spine. There was then lots of labor involved in placing the bricks, but it was all worth the effort in the final analysis to have a brick walkway where there was once mud puddles that we had to wadw through to get to the front door every time it rained.

Bricks sometimes come up for free on Craig's List and Freecycle, but they are claimed almost as soon as the ad appears. I keep an eye out for loose bricks whenever I'm driving around the city and am willing to go dumpster diving for any bricks thrown out at home renovations. My last batch of bricks came from a nearby neighbor that was remodeling a house and set a pile of bricks by the curb. I have also used broken concrete which works well to make garden paths. I try to find the concrete used for sidewalks that is generally only about 2 - 3 inches thick rather than driveway concrete which is typically about 4 - 6 inches thick and much more difficult to use. The problem with broken concrete paths, though, is that it is really difficult to get the concrete to lay flat and stay that way. There will be some erosion and shifting of the concrete pieces with every heavy rain. Also, it becomes a Zen jigsaw puzzle to try to assemble the concrete pieces into a consistently flat walkway without large gaps between the concrete pieces. A solution to that problem, however, is to plant Monkey Grass (Liriope muscari) or some other low-growing groundcover plant that can tolerate some foot traffic.

Jeremy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 4 JaxFlaGardener 2 Oct 27, 2007 5:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America