Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict: By request: Enlargeable photo 5

Communities > Forums > Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict
bookmark
Forum: Article: True Confessions of a Gardening AddictReplies: 1, Views: 222
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4127256

When a friend asked, "Would you like a load of horse manure brought to your house and dumped for free?," the only possible answer, of course, was "Yes!" He had connections with a horse stable owner south of Jacksonville. The owner of the stables had to find a way each week to clear out the soiled sawdust and was willing to pay the expense to have the manure brought to anyone that would accept it.

I was not quite prepared when I saw a dump truck about the size of the mammoth trucks used in strip mining pause in front of my house, loaded to the hilt with steaming manure. Still, I felt I couldn't pass up this great gift. I had cleared all the potted bargain plants out of the driveway in anticipation of the delivery. The truck driver had to be cautious not to hit the overhead electric lines when he angled the truck bed up and let the poop fall where it may.

For a few days, the odor was definitely noticeable. I had neighbors casually asking, "Do you have a horse?", apparently so unfamiliar with the sight of 25 cubic yards of horse manure that they had no comprehension nor frame of reference for recognizing it as it sat towering about half-way up the height of my 2-story house.

Fortunately, the smell went away much sooner than I expected, or perhaps we all just became inured to the redolent aroma and didn't notice it anymore. I've made several attempts, spending a few hours whenever time allows, to haul it by the wheelbarrow load and spread it around in the garden. But still, most of it continues to sit like a newly formed mountain range in my driveway. I seem to have correctly sensed that this neighborhood, though it is only about 5 miles from downtown Jacksonville, has a "live and let live attitude," or perhaps they all are just very afraid of the crazy plant man on the corner.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #4128283

"the crazy plant man on the corner"

Classic!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America