decor. Hopefully she will be able to share photos soon,
we're excited!

See here post here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4127183

Keep up the great work, all!

KM

Thumbnail by WUVIE
St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I love that bowl, it looks like diamonds. Do I need a kiln for that? I have to draw the line at a kiln, but a friend has one, haha!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

If there's anyone in the San Jose area who wants to share my kiln space, I'd love to have some "playmates"!!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Cathy,

While I haven't made such, it would seem you do need a kiln
for one of these fabulous bowls.

Cheryl will likely be along soon and can tell you more, as she
is our resident expert on the matter.

:-) KM

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Karen .. not so sure about the expert part .. Just the only one crazy enough to have trird this so far ...lol
Yes you need a kiln to make the tempered glass bowl
heres a new bowl this one I didnt fuss into a slab first

Thumbnail by denimangle

another view
I stacked the glass like a puzzel

Thumbnail by denimangle

heres another new one .. a birthday gift to the gal I got the window from

Thumbnail by denimangle

she made the remark that she wanted her window back
well FedX just droped off my new tumbler ..so its off to play ..

Thumbnail by denimangle

rebeccanne,
I can't wait for pictures .. they sound very interesting

Cheryl

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Ok Denimangle, you will have to give a step by step on those bowls. I have a kiln that has been sitting unused for few years and that is just the thing to get me motivated to fire it up!

Tetley, let me know when you do, I'll drive in & bring lunch. It's ONLY an hour and a half, haha! (just kidding, don't panic!)

I saw a set of tempered glass shower doors offered on freecycle. Is this the kind of glass that the bowls are made from?

tetleytuna
I think I posted step by step on the other thread ill check

cathy4
I thnk shower doors are safty glass ..its like tempered glass with a film in the middle .. you dont want to use that.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Wuvie and Denimangle-

I thought of ya'll when I saw this piece by one of my favorite artist/designers, Tord Boontje.

I think that this series was all recycled wine bottles and if anyone could figure out how to make 'em, I know that you are the gals to do it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transglass-vase-Swarovski-Blossom-Tattoo-Boontje_W0QQitemZ230132212665QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

and a decanter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Artecnica-Transglass-lidded-carafe-by-Boontje-green_W0QQitemZ130165970480QQihZ003QQcategoryZ115729QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

well on the blue bottle im kind of stumped ..
the gueen is easy he started with 2 bottles cut just the top off of one and the bottom off the other smoothed the edges with one of many things .. grinder sand paper etc.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello all!

Cathy,

Ditto what Denim (Cheryl) mentioned on the glass. The side
windshields of many vehicles are tempered glass, so are many
sliding glass doors and such. You might be able to call a few
glass repair shops in your area, they will likely give you the remains
of what once was a door or window free of charge.

Daisy,

The Transglass vase, indeed cool looking, thanks for sharing.
He must have some nifty glassworking tools indeed, as he employs
a dozen people trained to make the glass.

Denim,

I keep putting it off, but I swear one day I'll make a bowl. Not sure what
my excuse is, the kiln is sitting there wondering what happened to all
that excitement when it moved in. LOL.

Ima,

Though I live far away from you, if I lived closer I'd take you up on the
offer just to watch you work, I've seen your stuff, I'm so impressed!

Tetley,

Alrighty, time to drag that old kiln out and make something fun! With
winter approaching, it may be the perfect time to do so. Think winter
gifts. :-)

KM

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

awwww.......thanks!~~~ I'm sitting here at my keyboard blushing....

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Great.

My first HF tumbler came with a spare belt which I used to replace the broken one on the new tumbler. That one lasted less than 8 hours. That's 2 belts in under 20 hours. Might this lead me to believe that it's the tumbler and not the belts which are defective?

Argh.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Though I've not purchased a HF tumbler myself, I would have to
guess that the belts are similar to the seals in our well pump.
It would seem these units sit for ages in warehouses, experience
all sorts of different elements, and then end up in our homes.

The rubber, plastic, etc. has expanded and contracted with time
and temperature, that is my uneducated guess. When a weathered
piece of rubber is suddenly made to run 24 hours a day with a heavy
load, it gives.

When I get around to buying my HF tumbler, I think I'll take it in to
the local auto parts store to see what they have to offer in the way
of a better belt.

Lala thats what happened to my first tumbler ..I sent it back I got my new one yesterday ..set it up it even sounded better then the first one ,,it has been running now for about 20 hours and all is fine
im not so sure its the belts hat are bad .. I would send it back for another tumbler

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the input gals. Even thought I purchased the tumbler directly from the store, I emailed the company telling them what happened and will see what they have to say. Since I'm not known for being overly patient I will probably try to find another replacement tomorrow and give it another whirl. If I locate one, and it too breaks, I will return the tumbler.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I got two of the single barrel HF tumblers and both the belts that came with them broke after just a few days. I purchased the replacement belts from HF and have not had a problem since. They are very inexpensive, less than $2.00 each here.

tetleytuna,
here ya go step by step for the tempered glass

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/784789/

Cheryl

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Cheryl thanks so much for the step by step! I am going to make it my next project to get that kiln into shape. It has been sitting unused for a couple of years but has been in a dry building so should be OK. What does "flash the kiln" mean?? I have not used it in so long have forgotten a lot of things and a lot I never knew in the first place.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Goodness Ladies, I didn't get my tumbler yet, and now I want a kiln...what's a gal to do? Love the bowls and would like to make dinner plates like that...(wishful thinking)

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Someday I will.........Please keep the instructions coming. I'm printing and saving them all Thanks

tetleytuna,
To Flash the kiln means to open the lid and cool it off fast .. You must be really careful when doing so. its something you do when you want to stop the slumping or draping of your glass. If you dont want to Flash te kiln pulling the hole plug works some ..just much slower.

dahtzu,
Tempered glass dinner plates ..Not sure thats a good idea .. I know you cant eat soup out of the bowls ...lol
Look on craigslist for a kiln ...

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Cheryl!

What would a good price be for a used kiln? does your electric bill go up a whole lot?

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks denimangle.....like I said, wishful thinking...someone will figure out how to make the plates usable. I will keep checking craigslist for kiln and tumbler.

cathy4,
I have gotten 3 different size kiln from craigs list from Free to $500.00 with lots of glass,molds & stuff for the kiln. I saw a nice one the other day for $70.00
Had to tie my self to the chair to keep from going to get it ...lol
I really doesn't cost that much to run the kiln you don't run it at full tilt all the time.
& if you get a big kiln you can fire lots of stuff at one time for the same money.
Cheryl

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Cathy,

Hubby found my kiln at a local auction, and it would have been cheaper
had a lady not been pushing the price up.

Odd, I can't remember if it was 200.00 or 250.00, but came with plenty
of shelves, supports, a lot of goodies.

mulege, Mexico

Late afternoon yesterday a Mexican man who lives nearby and works for the water company came by. He was very polite but expressed concern about haveing heard the sound of rushing water several times when he had been passing my house. We live in a dessert and he thought I had somehow rigged up a waterfall from the little city water that comes out this far. I invited him in and showed him my tumbler and some of my tumbled glass. He was much reassurred that I had not somehow managed to hijack our water supply. In the summer we go through days without water and often don't get much when it does come back.

I was very glad he had stopped himself, rather than making some sort of official complaint. It makes me more a part of the community.

I don't speak a lot of Spanish but often connect with people through crafts and work on my house and garden.

Another connection made.

katiebear

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Katie,

How neat is that? Good for you, good for the community! :-)

Karen Marie

well I took the first batch out of the tumbler yesterday ..
Im not going to post a picture as it looks just like everyones glass just no blue glass ...lol
I started another batch of stained glass scraps with the help of my grand daughter Sydney (2 & 3/4) this is going to be her glass to make stepping stones ..she was very excited . She is always wanting to help me with glass she sits at her little table and makes glass with her clay & molds or designing patterns on paper ...
yes she spends a lot of time with Grammy :-)

Thumbnail by denimangle
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Good Morning,

Recently a thread has been created in the Artisans Forum for artists (which all of you here certainly are) to show off your work and visit. I'd like to invite everyone to come in and check out the Artisans Flowerpot Cafe. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/784415/

We'd love to see some of your beautiful glass and mosaic creations posted on the thread.

Please stop by and have a cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea. The cafe is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and has some really nice folks there. Everyone is welcome.

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Aaah Cheryl. We cross posted. That photo is priceless! You really need to frame that one and hang it in your studio. Isn't it wonderful when our grandbabies want to be involved in our art.

Thanks Janet,

I do love having her work with me .
My kids grew up under a quilt frame & bandsaw, but none of them do any kind of arts & crafts.. well maybe later..
Thanks for the invite ill check it out .
Cheryl

This message was edited Nov 18, 2007 6:56 AM

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Aw, Cheryl, indeed what a fabulous picture!
It truly does deserve enlargement, I love it!

What a sweetie she must be!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

denimangle such a priceless moment to be captured and enjoyed for a lifetime

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

dahtzu, We'd love it if you'd come to the artisans cafe and post your gorgeous birdbaths and bowling balls.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.