ID anyone?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

I posted the attached message in the Plant ID Forum. Just in case we have people here that don't regularly watch the ID forum I am attaching a link the post. If anyone here thinks that can help me ID this plant, I would appreciate it if you could take a quick look, there are other pictures in the post.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/784753/

Thanks-

David

Thumbnail by popper1
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Sorry, no help here - Carol, where are you ????

Kwajalein, Marshall Islands(Zone 11)

Could it be a blood banana or Heliconia indica?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

No, it is not either of those. It is more tree like then a banana or heliconia

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hmmmm so hard to tell without the flower....is it only the ONE new leaf that comes in red? Multiple leaves? Made me think of Cacao...but .... hmmmmm Very Pretty......

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The more I see our Cacao trees, the more I think that is what you have. Any more information on it?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

No, it is not a Theoboma, it does look similar, particularly the color of the new leaves, but I have T cacao and it is not it. The best I have been able to figure is it is in the genus Triplaris.

I have attached a picture I saw on TopTropicals website. The new leaves coming on the plant look identical in coloration and the manner in which they emerge. It is a dioecious plant. The male trees are not too exciting but the famale trees look very impressive. I am hoping it is a female! After it does flower I am going to attempt to find a tree of the opposite sex.

David

Thumbnail by popper1
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

What a cool mystery, hope you can ID it and find it a mate!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images