DNA anyone?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Just did my first DNA genealogy. It did help confirm what I suspected. And those that are looking at the same lines as I had similar DNA, so at least I am on the right track and feel I have the right information. Interesting to do if you have the money to spare.

North Augusta, ON

How does it work? Unless you have something to compare it to-------

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I just did it for my Cobb line and am thinking about doing it for my Strickland line. There are over 200 participants for the Cobb line. Some of them have proven established lines. It has to be a male with the last name of the one you are testing , so I had a male Cobb cousin swab his cheek. The I submitted them to Relative Genetics and a couple weeks later got the results. There are 5 in the group that have the exact same alleles as mine so we are close cousins within 5 generation. There are 2 others that have the same except for 2 allelles so we have a common ancestor within 11 generations. Then you compare what you absolutely know to be true and proven by documentation. It really helps to either substantiate what you have and give you more informaton or it totally blows you out of the water because you are totally off base.

Rancho Cordova, CA(Zone 9a)

like rylaff says you get cousins to test also.

If you go to rootsweb.com and search the family trees you can find others who are also researching your surname, compare genealogy and also get them to run a Y-DNA 37 marker test

check my website for my results http://www.rader.org/dna/y.htm

or look at the preview of my book at
http://www.lulu.com/content/452872

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

interesting but i don't really have any mysteries in my family genealogy! did you guys?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

You are lucky then. I have lines that I think are right and the DNA can help confirm it or throw it out. There are over 200 participants in the Cobb DNA project. It is interesting because some people, who thought they had the right line were totally off base. DNA did not match up at all.

Rancho Cordova, CA(Zone 9a)

If you don't have any mystories in your family

It is because you ancestors did not tell you what they wanted to hide

over 5% of those tested for Y_DNA have a suprise in their results

and Genealogists are not perfect
there are errors in your genealogy
you may not have encountered them because
you have not checked closely enough

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

well, we're from norway about 4 generations back. i guess that's as far as the subject has gone with us!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.