Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
growgirl59
Saint Louis, MO

October 29, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #4135332

Wow! What a relief to know I'm not alone. I had to show my husband your article so I could justify my little "problem". It was great to be able to say "you should be thanking me, at least I didn't buy 8 racks of plants". Just between us, I would if I could. Lucky dog!

This message was edited Oct 29, 2007 8:37 AM
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #4150325

Thanks for your empathy, growgirl! The big box store I habituated was Lowe's. If you think you are truly ready to take the plunge into total plant obession, just find your local Lowe's garden center manager and say the magic words, "cull packs." It may be that the store policy will allow you to rescue the distressed plants for as little as $10 per rack. There is a thread in the Florida Forum where I discussed all the details of what is needed/involved in delving into the madness of several thousand plants at a time (I'll look for the thread link when I'm home -- currently at lunch break at the zoo job). It would make my heart glad to know that homeless plants otherwise doomed to the dumpster were being adopted into loving homes!

Jeremy
drini7
Santa Fe, NM

October 15, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9306241

JaxFlaGardener wrote:Thanks for your empathy, growgirl! The big box store I habituated was Lowe's. If you think you are truly ready to take the plunge into total plant obession, just find your local Lowe's garden center manager and say the magic words, "cull packs." It may be that the store policy will allow you to rescue the distressed plants for as little as $10 per rack. There is a thread in the Florida Forum where I discussed all the details of what is needed/involved in delving into the madness of several thousand plants at a time (I'll look for the thread link when I'm home -- currently at lunch break at the zoo job). It would make my heart glad to know that homeless plants otherwise doomed to the dumpster were being adopted into loving homes!

Jeremy

Lowe's was the big box store where I worked as a temp arranging and re~arranging their garden department. The 1 employee who "watered" was so inept I would wait for them to punch out and then sneak water onto the plants that they barely doused.

Half the time the Plantogram called for shade plants in sun and vice versa and no amount of cajoling could get the manager to allow the things to be switched. I would have customers coming in looking for me to help them design their landscape and then get in trouble even though they would spend literally thousands of dollars based on my plans. I still have customers who call me in NM for Texas landscapes even though it's been almost 3 years since I worked there.

Actually Lowe's does a better job (at least here and in TX) than their competitor. I can barely shop at Home Depot here since most of their stuff is half dead and they don't mark it down the way Lowe's does. We waited 2 months and got a weeping pink cherry for half price at Lowe's...my brother had been lusting for it and checked in once a week...we got the LAST one!

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9361635

Thanks, drini!! I, too, seldom shop at Home Depot because of their callous attitude toward "distressed" plants. In our area, HD will only seek a credit from the plant supplier, then toss all the plants into the dumpster without the least nod of recognition that the plants could be of great use to community groups and general beautification projects, even if they don't want to mark them down. But, I understand that is the way big corporations operate -- what is logical and "moral" is not always what is practical and practiced.

When I was getting the cull packs from Lowe's, they had a garden manager that really cared about the plants and his subordinate employee was also plant-minded. That is a large reason, I think, that the cull packs were made available to me. Unfortunately, again as an example of the lack of logic in big organizations, the plant person garden manager was switched to being a general manager. The plants suffered from the change in management due to exactly the conditions you described -- people tending the plants that had no clue as to proper care for the various types of plants, and the displays set up to maximize customer viewing, not necessarily in a location that was best for the plants.

I suppose we will all just have to wait for that time when plants rule the world and humans are their slaves. I look forward to that day. LOL

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America