Last year I was looking for a crocheted pattern for Santa Mitts and I came across this knitted one. I didn't make them last year because a friend was able to find the pattern I was looking for and because I found the loopy beards difficult at first (I knit continental style and there was some translation that was needed). So it became a summer project and I plan to finish 4 pairs for the church bazaar. Here's a pic of the first two pairs. The other two pairs just need eyes, pompoms and final stitching.
For those of you who are thinking of trying these, I thought I would experiment next time with some loopy yarn used one strand with one strand of worsted weight for the beard. It should give me a fuzzy beard w/o the fussy loops.
Just thought I would show you what this year's version looks like. I used some white eyelash yarn along with a strand of worsted weight for the beard. Also did it backwards so the purl side is facing out as it was fluffier on that side.