Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Happy Halloween!

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 30, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #4140745

Hope everyone has lots of fun...bunch of treats and no tricks!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #4141301

Hi, Sweetness. Been on the Texas forum. Catching up with all the doings at the RU.
Really had a good time and don't mean to push it in your face. I love you and am ready to get this thing goin".

LouC
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #4141709

Happy Samhain
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #4141844

Happiness to all of you also! :0)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2007
3:55 AM

Post #4142010

So, Randy...Gaelic, Celtic or Wiccan? I was surprised to see that reference from a Texan!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2007
11:06 AM

Post #4142375

Happy Halloween!!!!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2007
3:53 PM

Post #4143255

Anybody doing anything special for Halloween? We have a street fair in Lahaina on Halloween which everyone seems to go to - they even put on buses to get everyone there! I know that doesn't sound like any big deal, but for us us it is suprisingly organized! We have a 2 lane coast road in and out of Lahaina so many people go the night before and either get a room or sleep on the beach because the road soon comes to a standstill.

Our neighborhood doesn't seem to have any small children, we have yet to get a Trick or Treater here! We always buy the candy just in case, and it takes us months to eat it all up!

Today we have a huge marlin fishing contest (tag and release) which some of the guys at the office are going to - it's been the talk of the office for a couple of weeks now - hey! it makes a change from football, and I have promises of fresh fish from them all!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #4143805

No children in our neighborhood or close by either. We just turn off the front lights and close the door. Only ones that would come by here are old enough to drive. hahahah
Last year Mike tanked up on candy, turned on the lights, stood at the ready. Not one single child. He HAD to eat all that candy himself. Lucky for me, I don't like candy.

LouC
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #4144214

Jenny...got any good recipes for Marlin? I've never eaten it because they are such a beautiful fish, But the guys caught a huge one and it is in the freezer at DH's office and they keep asking me if I want some...

Lots of kids...mostly from the outer islands that we have sponsored to come trick or treating...we had rain and thunder and lightning, which caused some ssorry looking princesses, but generally added to the atmosphere...Carnival a couple of days ago, and adults party was Saturday night. On this rock, any excuse for a "to-do" is a good one.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #4144344

Yes, Celtic Pagan. The book I read actually indicated Texas had a rather large Wiccan group.
The history channel had a good special today about it too.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #4144349

It is 4:58 pm Halloween afternoon. Time warp. It has come and gone for Shari. I so love the internet.

LouC
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #4144579

Randy...I knew what it was, I was wondering why you mentioned it..."the book" explained it.
My DD is Wiccan and my DH is a Scot, so I was familiar with the phrase. I'm actually surprised, didn't think Wicca would be very popular down in cowboy country...don't know why exactly...hmmm.

Have fun everyone!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4144665

Oh how cool! Yes when I was in SDA college I studied Theology, and became familiar with Constantine, and without discussing taboo things..lead me to dig deeper.
Is DD, Dear Dad?
It seems sort of natural for Gardener folks to explore relationships of times past that included nature is such a grand way.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #4144848

Dear Daughter. I always thought it was a natural flow as well, but others think not. We will be good.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4145040

Not doing anything here. Live in the country so no trick or treaters. Am still recovering from riding yesterday. lol. I hurt in a few places and it hurts to use certain muscles. But it was worth it.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #4145349

Oh I envy you, girl! Believe it or not, those are aches and pains that I miss!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #4146916

Shari, I have never eaten marlin but I think its a firm fish rather like tuna...perhaps grilling on the barbeque? The competition the guys were on yesterday cost $1,000.00 to enter and the grand prize is $10,000.00! A lot of money for a fish you are not even going to get to take home! I think it's a good excuse for boys day out as there was more talk around the office about coolers, beer, and who was bringing the sandwiches than there was about fishing. Several of them have today off as a precautionary measure in case they have hangovers, you wouldn't catch me on a boat on the high seas with that lot with sharp hooks in one hand and a beer can in the other!

Pepper, sit down very, very gently!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2007
8:10 PM

Post #4147769

Sounds exactly like our fishing tournaments! Those pictures at the end where they are standing next to their fish...most of them are leaning on the fish!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #4148906

I still hurt but now it is my back. lol. All I do is drive a golf cart around at work. Don't get to walk like I used too so my body has to get used to all this again.

So true about the guys and fishing!! lol. At least in some cases.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America