Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: hibiscus in the house for the winter?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
planolinda
Plano, TX

October 30, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #4140747

my hibiscus are so pretty-can i grow them inside till next spring?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4142075

Sure--lots of people do that. If you want some specific advice, come on over to the Hibiscus forum, I think there are a couple threads there already with some advice on bringing them in. Don't panic if some leaves turn yellow and fall off, hibiscus tend to do that when you change their environment, but they'll recover.
planolinda
Plano, TX

October 31, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4144449

i will go to that forum but i just stopped at lowes and they were almost giving away the hibiscus that looked so healthy and ready to bloom--also the hibiscus bushes--i passed on them when the man said that indoors they usually get aphids--
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #4144554

I could be wrong but I don't think aphids aren't really a common indoor pest. Maybe he meant spider mites? That's something that you'll get indoors a lot. Or maybe he was mixing it up with outdoor hibiscus--mine are aphid magnets outside. I guess if you don't get rid of all the outdoor aphids before you bring it in then you'll continue to have the problem indoors but if you don't have any on there when you bring them in I don't think you'll have problems with them.
planolinda
Plano, TX

October 31, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #4144570

well i am new to gardening but i did know that aphids are outdoors and so i asked him how they get inside and he didn't know--i am going to give it a try
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #4144582

He (or someone he knows) might very well have had them on indoor hibiscus, but they got on there when they were outside before they came indoors. When there's one aphid it turns into a million aphids pretty quick, so I could see that would be pretty easy to mistake where they came from, maybe there were one or two on there when the plants came in but they were overlooked. Then a week later they had multiplied and there were a billion of them so it seemed like they got on them when they were indoors when in fact they didn't.
planolinda
Plano, TX

October 31, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #4144597

well that might have been it- he was being helpful and of course not trying to oversell the plants!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America