Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Shed: Suggestions on Shed Please

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 35, Views: 553
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2007
1:34 PM

Post #4142834

I have been wanting to turn this delapidated shed into a potting shed and finally got a carpenter to help with this. I imagined a cottagy looking front wall. So far the windows and doors are being put in and most of the work was done inside which was a mess. They put in a floor and are in the process of putting in sister joyce's to hold up the roof.

Can anyone help with suggestions on what to do with the front to make it look more inviting? Paint , trellises, window boxes? This is still in progress and I just snapped these pics after it rained and the carpenters had been away for a while. The trim still needs to be done and I need suggestions for that too.
Please help...

Before pics

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #4142838

before

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2007
1:36 PM

Post #4142842

in progress with the windows and door in

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #4142847

Front of shed during...

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4142861

I didnt want to replace all the wood siding so they tried to work around that and now I need some kind of trim around the door and windows. They cut the door so the top and bottom open separate and are going to put an overhang over the top of the door.

I have looked at pics here on the forum and am in awe at some of the beautiful ones I've seen but I'm on a budget and need some advice on beautifying the front side once the structural stuff is done.

Help please!

Joyce
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #4147450

Ask your carpenters what it would cost to extend the roof out about 4' to 6' and create a covered porch. Then suggest they make some very simple false shutters and a flower box for each window (see attached pic).

Thumbnail by Dann_L

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2007
7:19 PM

Post #4147638

How lovely!

I will ask them. But please tell me what color red that is? I love it!
cocoajuno
Buckeye, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #4147788

Oh jadajoy,
How exciting for you, that is a lovely cottage looking shed to begin with, I agree with the porch, flower boxes and the shutters. It will still look great even without those things, be sure to pick a few paint color that accents your house. Once you get flowers planted it will be lovely.
Thanks for sharing,
Carla
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #4148062

Thanks Carla. Great suggestions. It will be an ongoing project but hope to have it usable by next spring.
cocoajuno
Buckeye, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #4148101

Here is what I am using...It is nice to have but not nearly as pretty...

Thumbnail by cocoajuno

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2007
3:44 AM

Post #4149174

Carla

What a lot of space you have and so well maincured! I like all the windows on that shed. You could probably overwinter in there if you wanted. It makes me want to go peeking around in there :-)
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #4150246

Joyce

It's been a while since I built that shed but I think the color was called Colonial Red and I probably got it at Home Depot. Not a color that I would reccommend for a cottage style shed but it looks real good on a barn in the right setting.

Thumbnail by Dann_L

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #4150269

You could include an arbor or two connected to the shed. That would be lovely with some flowering vines on them!
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #4167950

Jada,
I just saw this thread. I wish I had found this forum when I was converting the garage. I wanted a cottage type look also so I added contrasting wood accents to the vinyl sided structure.

Thumbnail by sempervirens

sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #4167959

Here's a photo of a lantern type light fixture near the door and a closer look at the trim.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2007 12:30 PM

sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #4167973

You could also add a old fashioned screen door for a charming look that's very practical.

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 7, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #4167992

Oh Semper I just love it!

I wanted to do shutters on the sides of windows but the space is too small. Trim in a contrasting color would be perfect!

I adore those angled windows. How did you do that?

This is so inspiring I'm off to the Habitat Restore to look for some odd pieces I can add.

Thanks so much!
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #4168046

The windows can be ordered from Home Depot, you just need to know the correct angle to match the roof.
I had the work done by my neighbor after seeing his garage to workshop conversion. Here is his workshop to show you another color trim.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2007
6:49 AM

Post #4170450

What you are building is a garden shed. Not a miniature house. I read in a column today in the paper the man said he had a 6 foot roll up door like a mini garage door put in his and it was the best thing he ever did. He said that it made getting tools such as mowers, tillers, etc. in & out much easier. He also suggested talking to the spouse about combining it with a garden shed to come up with a good combination unit.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 8, 2007
12:31 PM

Post #4170722

FlowrLady

An arbor sounds great. I like the idea of vines and flowers covering the front.

Jnette It doesnt show in the pics but on the right facing side are two double doors wide enough to get my mower through so the front doesnt have to accomadte them. I'm not parking a car in there so I pretty much had the idea of just using it to hold garden stuff and a place to to do potting . So I dont need it to be a combo unit. But I do want it to be pretty and inviting as well as functonal. I saw a shed with the roll up door and they are very nice and they look good too. I went with the door I have because it was cut to open top and bottom. I also want a screen as I think I'll be spending a lot of time in there come spring and lots of shelving.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2007
1:57 PM

Post #4170962

jada, that sounds heavenly.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 8, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #4171160

Thanks FlowrLady!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #4173381

Very nice. As long as you saw one of them and made your choice that is good. Sounds like you are going to have a very pretty building. It is already.

Jeanette
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 9, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #4173810

Thanks Jnette.
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2007
10:22 AM

Post #4178027

Jada,
Your shed looked very similar to my 1942 garage before I had it redone. Mine was very rotted (a new roof was angeled improperly caused water to ruin the back wall) and as I was working with the carpenter the project took off in a wonderful direction. The garage was converted to a art studio. I had to laugh to myself when Jnette posted you are building a shed not a miniature house. This is close to what the carpenter said to me when I showed him a sketch of what I wanted. He actually laughed at the sketch. But he got right into the spirit of things and when I was going for simple windows he convinced me to add a picture window. Jnette, I hope you know I am laughing at my fancifulness not you.
I wanted a simple screen door like the one I posted on my gazebo but I chose a storm door with a screen top because the studio is heated. Being able to have the door open and look through the glass or screen to the outside garden is a real delight. I think cutting your door in 2 parts so the top can open adds a wonderful feature. I can't wait to see yours finished. My project is still waiting for landscaping, taking up the asphalt and graveling the driveway.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 10, 2007
11:52 AM

Post #4178101

Semper
Your pre-shed sounds just like mine! It was built in the early 1900's and is indeed rotted in parts which the contractors have assessed and are working on for Phase II.

What started out with an idea to just add a side door and windows, has taken a new direction. The final phase will include a skylight and electricity and plumbing for I envision a deep sink and eventually heat.

This shed is assessed as part of my property value so the improvements are an investment. ( At least thats how I justify it when writing the checks:-) It may take longer ( and more money) than I orginally thought but Its a work in progress that I am enjoying.

I would love to see pics of your art studio. It sounds like something along the lines of what I am dreaming of. A place to create with the outdoors in mind but comfortable and homey and yet creatively messy and rustic. Achievable? We'll see.

fbded
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #4180144

Semper

I just signed up and this is my first post. I just got thru looking thru
all of Lowe's sheds looking for 2 things. One, a place to store my garden
ing stuff and two a place to do my painting and clay stuff. You don't know
how I envy you a painting studio. My hubby will spring for the garden
shed but as for as the studio I am on my own. But I will have one, I am
getting very tired of the kitchen table for everything (his computer takes
up the dining room table). This house looked big when we moved in
with a little furniture and no compyters or hobbies.

Anita
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2007
9:40 AM

Post #4181274

Welcome fdbed, It does seem to be an age old problem, finding enough space, and claiming it first. I have an art studio but no space to store garden tools and a lawn mower. What I need now is a simple storage shed.

Jada and fbded there are a few threads on the Artisan forum on DG about Artist spaces and Studios you both might be interested in. One thread is called "Show us your studio". Another is titled "My Yurtio ".

Jada, I'm thrilled with my studio, the town even let me put in a bathroom ( but I had to leave one garage door on this originally 2 car garage) and I upgraded from a slop sink /storage area in my original plans to a sink in a countertop with cabinets. I lined these areas with shelves for storage.
This is a photo of the right side interior with the picture window.

sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2007
9:44 AM

Post #4181275

Jada,
This is the left side, behind the garage door.

sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2007
10:37 AM

Post #4181296

Here is the sink storage area. I have a nice long counter top to pot up plants besides wash out brushes.

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 11, 2007
4:28 PM

Post #4182016

Welcome Anita! Glad to meet ya.
I too looked at Lowes for a shed before i decided to just fix the one I had. You might try looking online also. There might be a place near you to get what you're looking for, that you could go pick up.If nothing else it might give you some ideas.

Thanks Semper( Marine?) ( Navy here)

Your studio is indeed a house addition :-). Its gorgeous! You could conceivably live in there. Now you have me thinking about dry wall installation. I love your picture window. I cant even imagine it was anything like mine. Did you do this work yourself? What a retreat! A great place to create, with a really finished look. How long did it take to finish this dreamhouse? This is really inspiring. Thanks for showing it!
fbded
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2007
8:41 PM

Post #4182747

Semper
Thank you for the artisen info I had not noticed it before. Also
Jada ask about Semper marine or navy. I thought I would give a little
background information. I am an Air Force brat but my Dad's 3 brothers were all career navy. I married an Army guy but the Army didn't have a
space program so we ended up in Huntsville,Al.at the Marshall Space
Flight Center. My brother is retired Air Force.

I love gardening, my Grandmother could root anything, my Mom was almost as good but the gardening gene passed me by. Still I try. I am
a scientist by training and an artist by accident. I paint on anything in oils
or acrylics and some watercolor pencil. I also like to play with clay.

Anita
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #4186183

Jada,
Thank you Jada, I had to sign a paper saying no one would live in the studio before the town would approve a permit. I still spend most of my time out there. It was cheaper to fix up the garage as a studio, which had major repairs necessary anyway, then move to a larger space. It was in much worse shape then yours. Another of the town rules said I could only repair the existing walls not replace the structure unless it was moved 2 ft. further away from the fence. After it was framed trying to use as much of the original wood as possible the old wood just fell away. Except for 2 posts everything else is new. Take a look at the photo, the old garage is in the rubble pile. I can't claim any of the carpentry work. I wish I had that skill, I was only responsible for designing .

BTW Sempervirens means Evergreen.

fbded
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #4186915

Jada
Thanks for the online suggestion. I found what I needed but now I
have to make sure it fits in the space I have. The really good thing
is I can order it from Lowes online. Now for the studio!

I may be back on here wanting help in how I put together the kit
my storage shed will come.

Anita
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 13, 2007
12:22 PM

Post #4188106

OOPs, Evergreen is it? I was way off the mark. lol. Learn something new everydyay.
Its hard to believe you created that from what you had. A true Phoenix rising from the ashes.
I have the same town rules. It is grandfathered in a clause to repair but to tear it down and start over I would have to move it 4 ft over. I just got an offer from a mason friend to brick the front and inside back wall. I am considering it. But I like the front wood and think I might just paint it.

Great Anita. Glad that worked out. Come back and show us how you are progressing and show pics. I'd like to see.

Joyce
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #4189566

fbded, welcome to Dave's! I'd like to direct you to the Mid-South Forum. Huntsville is smack dab in the middle of it! You'll be welcome there. All of us in here usually find four or five forums that we really stay in the most, and of course Mid-South is mine.

And good luck with your GS/H.

Pat

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America