-
AuthorContent
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #4143218

I have a vine climbing a power pole at the back of my property. The vine has climbed about thirtyfive feet upward. I have a very large Vitex,chaste tree, in front so most of the leaves and berries are at the topmost ten or fifteen feet,thousands of red berries. There are very few berries at lower levels but I managed to snip these from the vine using a Fiskars Pruning Stick. The leaves are slightly wider than five inches. I don't have a zoom feature on my camera and can't take a picture of the massive growth of berries at the top of the vine. I think that this vine would be attractive grown on a trellis. Especially in the fall when it produces such a large number of berries.

Thumbnail by Rocco
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #4144041

I have been searching for information on this vine. Could it be a cocculus carolinus,carolina moon seed or red berry moonseed?
http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/coc.car.htm
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #4144288

Try opening one of the berries to see if there's a spiral shaped seed in there.
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #4144387

Claypa

There is a seed inside the berry and it is spiral shaped like a figure six. The seed is a little over one eight inch in diameter and flat.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #4144586

Sure sounds like you've found the right plant.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek021015.html

http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/shrub/coca.htm
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4144752

Thanks claypa
I have never seen a seed shaped like that. It looks like a very small nautilus,amazing. I'm sure that there must be a reason for this shape I'll be trying to propagate some of the seeds next spring. Thanks again for the help.
dee_cee
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2008
6:04 AM

Post #4845040

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this post! There are MILES of this vine growing in my yard & for over 2 years I've tried to find out what it is. My grandmother called it 'green vine' & no one I've asked knew what it was.

It can be very invasive, with roots running an inch or so underground for several feet from the central plant. I'm learning to live with it & have managed to clear it out of a few areas, simply because I don't want it growing everywhere!
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #4845289

Dee
I wondered about the identity of the vine for a long time and finally decided to as the 'experts'. I have posted several plants on this forum and have allways received an answer. I still have only the one vine so it hasn't become invasive,yet!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America