Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict: Wonderful !!!

Communities > Forums > Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict
bookmark
Forum: Article: True Confessions of a Gardening AddictReplies: 5, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

October 31, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #4143387

Jeramy ,I am an addict just like you !
I am drooling over your cull paks and would just about die for having only one !!!
What fun that must have been to sort through and rescue all those wonderful little plants !!!!!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story !!!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #4150287

Thanks, Stormcloud, for your kind comments. The big box store I habituated was Lowe's. You might try going to a Lowe's near you and saying the magic words, "cull pack," to the garden center manager (and you can mention that you know some Lowe's stores get rid of distressed plants for $10 per rack). You never know -- they may be glad to have you haul away some plants. It was a thrill every week to see what might show up on the racks.

Just be cautious -- one is never enough for a true addict, and you may get as carried away as I did and find yourself wading through thousands of plants in pots! LOL

Jeremy
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

November 7, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #4166343

Unfortunatly we do not have a Lowes store nearby but we do have Home Depot. So, I will try your plan with them. If it does not prove to be successful I will just have to follow your lead and drive the 40 minutes to the nearest Lowes store !! I already am an addict so no concern there and it sound like the most wonderful adventure ! I can just picture those flats and flats of wonderful needy little plants filling up my barren side side . Yessssssssss !
Thank you !
Sheila
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2007
2:35 PM

Post #4167320

Thanks, Stormcloud, for your interest in rescuing the persecuted plants! I've generally found that Home Depot has a policy that distressed plants are returned to the growers for credit and are generally not marked down for sale, but that may vary from location to location for the stores. For anyone ready to take the plunge and possibly begin hauling far more plants than any human should ever own (and ready to find the ecstasy that I found in such a surplus!), here is the thread I posted some time ago in the DG Florida Forum with all my suggestions and recommendations for setting up your distressed plant hauling and tending operation:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/609755/

Good luck to all that may try it -- and I hope you will drop a note here if it turns out to be successful for you.

Happy Gardening!

Jeremy

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7588727

That was a truley awesome Top Ten. That definitely describes me. I've been in this house for about 9 months now and the property is just under an acre, and when ever I have a little extra money, I 'need' to go out and get a couple plants and need to be outdoors to work on them, plant them, water them, then buy more. If I don't get to do that I'll get depressed and bored. I'm from up North, but am living in Florida now permanently, so I need to learn alot about plants for this kind of weather and conditions. I love trees and bonsais too. My favorite place near me is the Lowes and also a Home Depot. The Target though had a small plant section and they did'nt look too great.
And what an awesome story you wrote. I enjoyed that 'very' much, lol.

--Christina.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7589170

Thanks, Christina! I'm glad you could find some identity as a plant addict in my article. Welcome to Florida! Drop into our "anything goes" chat thread and say hello to the clutch of characters that post there:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1076237/

It is difficult to change climates and try to come up to speed on what plants will grow and which ones won't and all the other various factors, such as having sand or coral rock for garden soil ather than clay or, best of all, good woodsy humus. The Dave's Garden Zip Code Report of plants that persons have reported success with in your neighborhood can help a lot in knowing what to try: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/zipbyzip.php

You can also find the other DG members in your area and start your own Plantaholics Anonymous meeting: http://davesgarden.com/member_zip.php I met one of my neighbors a few blocks away that is now a best friend as a result of Dave's Garden. Without the connection on Dave's Garden, we probably would never have bumped into each other and wouldn't have known we both secretly craved plants beyond a "normal" fixation on gardening.

I do find myself wishing from time to time that I could still get cull packs of hundreds of plants per week for a pittance in cash, but I know I would soon find myself so totally immersed in my addiction that all other interests and relationships would fall by the wayside. I'm certain I would end up with my family confronting me on one of those "Intervention" TV programs. For now, I just try to keep my addiction from totally consuming me by limiting my indulgences to purchases of a few distressed plants once or twice a week, that I can buy cheap and hide in my van so that my wife won't know that I'm "off the wagon" (or perhaps, "off the leash" might be a better comparison). LOL

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America