how to reuse a satellite dish

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

what do i do with all of these darn satellite dishes.
We had to upgrade our old satellite dish, but it cost to much to do that, so we got a new ISP, now we have to move ! and they wont take the brandnew one to the other location ? why , i have no idea.
So i m stuck iwth 3 of these things. The new owner of our house doesn't want ours . SHe is getting her own ISP and wont need ours. Great.... not
So any ideas on what to do with these things ?
I was thinking of making junk art with them. Like a mushroom. Paint it and put it upside down to look like a mushroom
or a roost for our chickens.
any other ideas are greatly appreciated
sue

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

What about a planter for annuals? I have seen them used for sedum dishes too...

yes that is a good idea.
sue

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I am not sure how cold the soil would get for you there but here they work great - infact I keep trying to find a big one to work with here.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I saw two stacked one above the other and used as a cascading fountain with a third one at the bottom on/in the ground as a bird bath. They used a small recirculating pump hidden in a plastic pail buried under the bottom dish. The bottom dish had a couple of tiny holes drilled in it to let the water continue to flow. Once it was algae covered it was really attractive. Lots of birds and squirrels drink from it. They drain it, pull the pump, and put a garbage bag over it for the winter. Not much work or expense involved.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Is it strong enough to use as a snow saucer? You could put rope handles on it and then go sledding in it.

snapple that sounds realy cool
hmmm a snow dish. ? huh could work. I bet my 4 yr olds could make a sled out of it
I wonder if i could attach lights and make a christmas deco out of it. If i have three of them , I could do a snowman statue .
ooh ideas are comming in and they are all great ! giving me inspirations thanks
sue

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

You must be talking about the small ones?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I saw one of the large ones used as a roof to a pergola - certainly a piece of garden art is quite possible with it.

Do you mean like the ones that Dish Network currently use? Or one of the big old ones?

Santa Fe, NM

L.O.L. Go for the snowman sculpture! I love all these ideas.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

A larger one could make a shallow water garden... Have also seen two here that were used as roofs for gazebos.

yes the small ones
we have a neighbor down the road iwth the humungous one, SHe painted it iwth a pretty mural. Im not that artistic lol
I could make a big clam shell lol :)
sue

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a giant one - I have lots of ideas, but not a clue how to do it. There must be a truckload of concrete under it and the pole is as big as my calf (on my leg)...can you see it?

Thumbnail by 4paws

hmmm that is a tough one 4paws
How do you get it out of the ground
Well how about christmas lights ? :) or Hannukah candles :)
plant a vine around it ?
wow it is big
oh big bunny ears for easter iwth big whiskers
sue

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

It's a long way from electricity. I've pulled most of the cable to it in the last three years, but still run into parts of it.

Happens to be in line with what used to be the river path gate. It's just low enough to hit me in the head-don't know why I don't see it. :-)

paint it neon orange . Maybe that will help you see it lol :)

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

oh yuck! I have a different path now.
This is the full view from the house - neon orange! lol It's almost dark enough to disappear.

Thumbnail by 4paws

Hey that is really pretty 4paws.
so have you decided on what to do with it.
the sattalite dish
sue

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Those big ones can be used for duck ponds, roofs over small animal houses such as goats, roofs over round chicken pens, roofs over round hay bales, ect.

hey thats an idea CajuninKy
how would you make a pond ? put the plastic over then fill . I assume. :) lol just answered my own question lol :)
sue

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Actually, if it is one of the solid fiberglass jobs, you just fill the couple of holes with silicone. No liner needed. I believe the folks I saw who did it even put in a plumbing kit in a larger hole in the center and made a pipe for draining the pond for cleaning.

wow cool
i guess i just assumed ( bad thing to do) that plugging the holes would be hard
hmmmm must seek out these things for more projects
sue

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I've never looked closely at the small dishes but mayhap some of you would know. Is there enough "dish" in them that they could be used for tiers in a cascade into a large pond or container such as a barrel?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Looking at the little one left by DirectTV, I would guess yes, it's deep enough for a tier.

The one in the field is solid metal: SOLID. It doesn't move. I thought about turning it upside down to use for a roof, but I haven't the muscle power. At least six people have expressed their desire to own it, but no one has taken it in 3 years. :-) Otherwise, the potential is unlimited, in my opinion, but then, I see potential in nearly everything.

I should put it on craigslist, but being out here slows down potential takers of any considerably.
:-)

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

4paws - What you need is a "sawzall", 2 guys and a pickup truck. The scrap metal value out of that thing could finance Christmas!

snapple could be right on that one :) never thaought of that.
good call snapple

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a truck and a sawzall, though the extension cord would have to be mighty long...200'. I've actually considered that, too, but haven't run into the muscle who wants to do it. I think the distance to wherever it gets scrapped has something to do with the reluctance, as well. I'm situated somewhat remotely.

Come and get it if you want it...lol!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Might look into an inverter to run the sawzall off your truck battery ~ lol

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

still lacking muscle...come on up! lol I've got all sorts of treasure here, but no muscle.

hmmm I got mucscle, just dont have gas money lol :)

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

No kidding - especially at $3.40/gallon!

Ha i pay 3;49 a gallon i got me a diesel truck . Just paid $90 to fill it yikes !!!!
The only reason i have a truck is for work and we have a farm lol :) Maybe i should start thinking horse and buggy. ?
sue

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

That's about what it is on the coast - Hoopa is some of the cheapest gas.I drive a truck as well, though I would like to have a little car for when I don't need all that power and utility, which is most of the time.

Where is Hoopa ?
I m from Northern CA , Palo Atlo.
I have a new idea for my satellite dishes
I am going to take the small ones and paint faces on them or suns. Then hang them on my trees out in our woods .
sue

OHOHOHOOOOO
had another idea
blow up a pic of my kids and deco pouge clear glue and use as a wall hanging.
sue

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

taynors, to getto Hoopa from Palo Alto it is a 350-450 mile drive north and then inland east about an hours drive. When 4-Paws said she is in a rather remote area she was not exagerating in the least!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-)
And you would know, Zanymuse, being one of my closest DG neighbors. I got my birkenstocks fixed in Fortuna.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL and I'm a ways away but we do drive out your way during the summer when we want to experience heat for a few hours. We usually take the scenic route out past Lady Bird Johnson and over the fire road. Takes hours and I enjoy it.

You must have gone to Strehls? They do great work.

I have a pair of Birks. Do they do out of state fixings :) ? lol
AAAhhh your a "out in the boonies person."
We live far out in the country, well what i consider far out . 15 miles to the nearest store hahaha
I think i have gone as far as Tahoe. I remember that lake .
Zany i guess not much sun in Fortuna.
Your areas sound like a beutiful place's to live.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

They are very lovely.
Yep, that's the store, Zany. I bet you can find a repair shop closer, Taynors.

If you have an inclination to drive out this way, I'd love to have you adopt plants from my garden. I'm probably going to be leaving here by early summer and I have a lot in pots and in the ground that will need new homes. I'll only leave perennials that don't need much water and that will be easy for whoever follows to care for right from the start. I have a rather haphazard gardening manner, so it would be hard for anyone to figure out what I've got on their own anyway.

If you shop in Eureka or Arcata, I could meet you there, too, with plants. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images