when poppies aren't blooming

Plano, TX

i understand poppies like cooler weather--i plan to plant those seeds for early spring blooms and then other flowers for our long texas summer--what do poppies look like after their bloom time?

(Cissy) San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Plano
When poppies are done blooming, the petals will fall off. What is left is a pod with sort of a lid on top. When the pod turns brown and the "lid" on top is opening, cut off stem with pod still attached. You can shake out the seeds like a salt shaker for seed storage. If you don't do this as soon as they turn brown, a strong breeze with cast out the seeds for ya :)

Cissy

This message was edited Nov 10, 2007 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by Sis_E

Another pic......a drawing :) I assume you have this type of poppy?

Thumbnail by Sis_E
Plano, TX

thanks--so nice of you to include a picture! since you are knowledgeable i will ask one oher question--my pomegranite bush has "hipps" as in rose hips--i don't really know what they are--is it the seed pod?

YIKES! LOL, I am afraid I don't know about those. I am just learning about poppies myself as I just love them! Maybe someone else can help :)

Cissy :)

Planolinda LOL, love your name :) I found this great information for "poppy raising ". I am going to bookmark this too!

http://www.yardener.com/CaringForOrientalPoppy.html

Plano, TX

thanks for the compliment on the name--i live in plano texas and so it was really not very creative! when we moved here 18 years ago i remember thinking --what a strange name for a city!

LOL Linda! :D Have a great Sunday! :D

Cissy

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Don't they make fishing lure boxes in Plano? Might make some good seed saver compartments!

Plano, TX

there are fishing boxes with the plano name--not sure if they are made here---good thinking about the seed saver boxes--maybe someone needs to design such a thing? i want someone to invent something very easy to sort of lift up the compost pile and let the air in--i stick branches in mine so it doesn't pack down but idon't think that works very well

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.