Photo by Melody

Florida Gardening: Carambola (aka "Starfruit.)

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 371, Views: 3,180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 3, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #4153925

I tried this thread on Fruits and Nuts -- but nobody seemed interested; so

I planted this last winter -- and here it is today. Now seven-feet tall.

It came bearing fruit -- they were delicious.

: )

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 3, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #4153927

My variety is: Sri Kembanqan (Kembangan)
Originated in Thailand. Elongated pointed fruit, 5 - 6 inches long. Bright yellow-orange skin and flesh. Juicy, firm flesh with few seeds. Flavor rich and sweet; excellent dessert quality.

There are many fruit already ripening in its branches. Here is a cluster of three.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 3, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #4153933

A star (fruit) is born. (With apologies to Hollywood).

It is the tiny dull thing, about 1/3 down from the top, and 4/9ths in from the right. (It's now about 3/8ths inch long.)

The tree is continuing sprouting new clusters of blossoms, all over.

If you've never eaten a ripe carambola, you are missing something. The acidic starfruit you find in the markets are a poor example of the fruit.

Try it -- you may like it.

Be well

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2007
5:40 PM

Post #4153949

My DS has a tree nearby about 25 ft tall loaded with fruit & bloom. You are right about the fruit! She has had ripe fruit for about a month now. They come up easily from seed & are fast growing.
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2007
6:01 PM

Post #4154012

flyboy, beautiful tree! Starfruit are so refreshing, and the trees are nearly indestructible. There was one in my yard when I moved in 16 years ago, didn't even know what the little tree was- it was about 5 feet tall. Imagine my surprise when I bumped into it with the lawn mower and a starfruit fell out. Sadly, several years ago, the water softener system developed a undetected leak and started dumping brine right near the tree. It was too late when I finally figured out what was happening.
Your tree looks really healthy, enjoy!
Cathy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #4154625

Very nice! My dad is a mailman and I trade plants with two guys on his route. One of them has a starfruit tree and he just gave us a big bag of the fruits a couple of weeks ago. They are definitely much better than store bought; I couldn't believe how juicy they were. Plus, I'm getting into this local food idea so I think it's nice to be able to trade with neighbors.

Melanie
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #4154835

Very nice Flyboyfl, may I ask where you pruchased it? I see a couple of them on ebay, but am wondering if they are attainable locally...I'm in Brandon/Tampa area in Florida. Also, Rene10 you said they come up easily from seed...is it worth it to start one from seed, or should I just buy an established plant? How long till they fruit from seed may I ask?

I probably should go looking to try some fruit first though as I've never had them before, but by the sounds of all your praises, they sound delicious!

~Samantha
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #4154928

I don't know how long from seed to fruit, but my DD planted one last year & it is about 2 1/2 ft tall already.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #4155215

astcgirl, I have the tree and recently posted i would send seeds for sase. I f you would like some let me know. I planted some seeds this summer and have two small trees about 2 1/2 feet tall. I think you would do fine to grow them from seeds. It takes them a while to come up but once they do they grow pretty fast.

Linda
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2007
5:35 AM

Post #4155787

I would like to try a couple of seeds, Linda. : ) It sounds tasty.
~Lucy
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #4156235

Thank you so much Linda, I would love to try some and considering the growth your trees made in a couple of months it sounds perfect. Dmail coming your way...

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 4, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4156244

Hey guys:

This may be one of Florida's best kept secrets.

I think that as citrus seems to be losing ground -- the number of acres that have been turned into housing -- (and the high price of juice) -- Florida will start producing other comestibles. I think of this and macadamia nuts.

My tree came from Crowley's, just west of 75 in Sarasota. She (Kathy) has a wealth of plants. This is what it looked like when I planted it.

Does anyone know -- does it have only one crop a year?

Be well

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 4, 2007
1:46 PM

Post #4156249

And these were some of the fruit last year,before we gobbled them.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #4156300

Linda -- if more seeds are still available, I would love to give Starfruit a try (gotta' have one of everything!).

In addition to SASE, I may have some seeds you might like -- such as the white flowering form of Texas Star Hibiscus (Hibiscus coccineus 'Alba')? At least, I hope they will come out all white. I didn't have any other hibiscus flowering near these when they bloomed.

Jeremy
popper1
Mulberry, FL

November 4, 2007
4:59 PM

Post #4156897

FlyboyFL-They can produce fruits more than once per year. Depending on the variety, climate, culture, etc, they can produce twice, sometimes even three times/year in Fl.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #4158784

Flyboy I have a tree that is about 25 ft tall and it bears at least twice a year. I have had fruit on mine since late Sept. and will have until February . I have more fruit than i know what to do with.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2007
4:41 AM

Post #4158808

JaxFL I have seeds and will be happy to send you some if you will Dmail your address i will trust you for stamps. I can't grow hibiscus the deer will not leave them alone.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #4158816

Lucy you can have seeds anytime i will have them from now until February. We have to make arrangements to get together. Maybe the end of this week if you don't have anything going on. I will be in Tampa Tues & Wed.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #4158829

How about Fri.? I have a test on Tues., DD is coming on Weds, and a friend will be here on Thurs. If that is o.k...which do you prefer, morning or afternoon?
~Lucy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 5, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #4159752

popper~ and lee~

Thanks. Now I'll have to wait. Mine seems to be just starting -- and continuing -- to bloom. Guess I'll have to enlist more eaters.

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2007
3:21 PM

Post #4159831

Lucy Friday sounds good to me and i prefer afternoon unfortunately i am not good at doing mornings :}. We just as well finish filling up our week.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #4160834

Linda, Ok, I will call you Thurs between 6-7 pm or whenever I can get you, and let you know what time Fri. afternoon.
~Lucy
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #4160900

Once in awhile I come across a specialty food market that will sell these fruits. Never knew what they were. Now I do.

How do ya eat em? Think that the trouble when ya see new things in the market, ya don't know how to eat them, then when ya finally find out and make it back to where ya saw them sold, they all gone.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 5, 2007
9:07 PM

Post #4161023

star~

See the photos I posted, above (on November 4th.).

They should be entirely yellow -- and soft and smooth to the touch. (The edges can be brownish.) Eat them like you would an apple -- or slice them up into a salad.

The skin is entirely edible.

Good luck, welcome, and

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #4162233

Starlight, as flyboy indicated they are entirely edible however, when I eat them I do cut the ridges off. Sometimes I eat the skin and sometimes i peel them. They are 100% better if they are tree ripened.

They are very expensive to buy. When they have them in the stores here they are $l.99 each. They are very good but I don't now if they are that good :}.

They do have a flavor all their own. You either like them or you don't. I have 4 sisters and 3 loves them and 1 doesn't care for them at all.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #4162238

Lucy that sounds great we will probably be woring outdoors anyway and I will sure welcome a break!!! lol

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 6, 2007
2:12 PM

Post #4163483

But, why think about buying them if you garden and live down here?

bocaginger
Coral Springs, FL

November 6, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #4163942

In case you have more starfruit than you can use - here's a muffin recipe that someone made for a garden club function last year. I loved them!

Starfruit muffins

Ingredients
1 stick butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon molasses
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup chopped starfruit (carambola)
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
12 slices starfruit
Confectioners sugar to dust on top
12 muffin cup papers
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with beater until fluffy. Add molasses and eggs; beat until well blended.

In medium bowl, combine flours, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. With a wooden spoon, stir flour mixture into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in chopped starfruit, coconut, and orange peel.

Divide batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Top each cup with one starfruit slice. Bake muffins 20 to 25 minutes or until they're golden brown and spring back when pressed lightly. Cool on rack 5 minutes; remove from pan and dust lightly with confectioners sugar.

bocaginger
Coral Springs, FL

November 6, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #4163957

My tree is only about 6 feet tall but has gifted us with about 8 starfruit already. Right now it's covered with flowers - looks like I'll need a bunch of recipes! I wonder if you could bake them in a pie - kinda like an apple pie. Seems like it would be really pretty if you left the slices in stars.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #4165268

Thanks for the info. Can't wait til I see one again in the store. Gonna buy me a couple. To me, that don't seem to bad a price. Been payign almost bucks for a cantelope which I can devor in a matter of minutes all by myself. : )

Is there another fruit , say a common fruit that you can tell me what it might be simliar in taste too?

A bit off track, but doe s the Pineaple Guava Feijoa Acca sellowiania grow down there in Flordia? If it does how do you know when the fruit is ready. There a big bush I know of and it has fruit on it, but I don't know when to pick it and never had it either, thinking I heard somebody say it was edible and thought it was a tree and fruit that need the warmer climates ya all have down there.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #4167836

We have Pineapple Guava at the Jacksonville Zoo and I also have one shrub of it at home. I don't know how to tell when the fruit might be ripe because we seldom get fruit. I suppose a squeeze or taste test would be about the only way, unless the fruit goes through a color change when ripe.

BTW - the Pineapple Guava flower petals are delicious! Eat them as a snack fresh off the plant or add to a salad.

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 7, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #4168393

star~

I don't know whether I can describe the taste.

It is, to me, something like a ripe Bartlett pear. Not overly sweet or perfumey. But, I (we) enjoy biting into them or cutting them into salads.

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #4169109

StarligIiht, If i were trying to make a comparison from my tree I would say the really ripe ones taste a little like a mango, however, if not real ripe i can't compare mine to any type fruit. I use mine in smoothie a lot and often slice them and eat them with a little salt on them.

They are just a very different fruit.

Linda
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #4169117

Boca, thanks so very much for sharing that recipe you can bet i will be trying it.

I have made jam with them but it was a little to sweet. I am going to try making some relish with some of the greener fruit.

Linda
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2007
5:23 AM

Post #4174255

I have been having trouble posting images so thought i would try posting one of my starfruit to see if i can.

Thumbnail by LeePerk

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2007
5:26 AM

Post #4174259

YEAH!!!!!! I am so happy this is the first picture i have been able to post. I have the new windows vista and i really dislike it. It is taking me forever to figure some of it out.
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2007
11:16 AM

Post #4174594

Beautiful starfruit! They look luscious.
I am putting off the Vista nightmare as long as I can! Are there any things you like about the new Vista?
Cathy
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #4174618

I also have Vista and hate it, can't wait until Thanksgiving when we are going to Ky and my son will remove it and give me XP. I will then be able to use my camera with the laptop. I am sixty four and don't need constant reminders, proddings, annoyances about my being authorized to do something or make a minor change. Too, too much. They went overboard with the security (cma) features.

I had a wonderful recipe for quickbread made with carambola fruit. I will try to find it today and if I can I will post. It was delicious, had a delicate pineapple flavor, but no pineapple in the recipe..
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #4174776

Carambola Quick Bread 350 degrees one hour 9 x 5 x 2 1/2" pan

1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
pureed carambolas (seeds only removed) 2 cups
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream sugars and butter until fluffy, add eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda. Mix together and put in greased loaf pan. Enjoy.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #4174883

Ya know ya all are making me hungry. LOL A piece of that quick bread would go good with my cup of coffee right now. How about whipping up a piece and tossing it this way. : )

Beautiful pic of the fruit. Wonder if I can get one to grow here ??? May give it a try. I have three Kumquat seedlings that I had found when they was barely a coupel inches tall and brought them home and they about a foot tall now from this season. Put them in the unheated gh so hopefully they won't freeze too bad. Got a feeling I will be waiting 20 years before it fruits though at the rate it is growing.

Flyboy... who did you buy your tre e from? Think I may see who got one for sale and get one with a bit of height on it. Pretty tre e even without the fruit.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #4175036

Thanks for the Starfruit seeds, LeePerk! They arrived yesterday in excellent condition. I'll get them planted this weekend and send you the postage.

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 9, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #4175304

star~

Mine came from Kathy @ Crowley's in Sarasota. You can find them on the web. (I seem to remember a long thread, here, about Crowley's earlier this summer.)

I think that they are grafted, so I don't know much about the specific variety that comes through from the seeds.

IF you guys have luck with the seeds, I will start saving them.

Buying one with fruit on it seems to be a bargain. Saw the fruit at Publix yesterday at $2.49 each. Pretty expensive. My tree had about eighteen in various stages of ripeness when I purchased it.

angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4177198

flyboy love your carambola photos. It is good to know that that variety has sweet juicy fruit! Can't believe that no one on the fruits and nuts forum were interested. They are such pretty trees.

If anyone is willing to send me some seeds, I can trade some double purple ballerina datura seeds (swarf datura with double purple and white flowers) or send SASE :)
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4177284

I went over to LeePerks (Linda) house, this afternoon. I couldn't believe how big her Carambola tree is. It was loaded with fruit, and hundreds of blooms. The picture above is just one lil branch of that tree. (post no. 4174255)

I came home with a sack full of fruit, and a small tree. Had a real good time looking at all her flowers. : ) Thanks Linda. : )
~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #4177460

Lucy, I really enjoyed the visit today. Seems as though I had known you forever. Look fwd to going to a swap meet or maybe over to Crowleys with you. Hope your tree does really well. Enjoy the fruit.

It is always so nice to put a face to a name when you chat. Will have to get out to your place soon.

Linda
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #4177475

Mittsy, thanks for the quick bread recipe I am going to try both of the ones posted as i have a tree full of fruit and fruit all over the ground. I am always looking for recipes to try. Will let you know what i think when i get around to trying it.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #4177518

Angel - I would be happy to send you seeds for SASE. I have both the double purpel and white Datura. If you want i can d-mail you my address.

Linda
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #4177538

Cathy, No i can't say there is particularly anything i like about Vista. I feel like i am forever jumping through hoops to do the simplist of things. I would like to have mine taken off and Xp put on. I find myself using my old laptop a lot just because it has xp. I agree they went totally over the top with the security features. Couple that with virus protection and you can't seem to get anything done.

Mittsy , good for you wish i could do thay maybe i will go to KY hehe

Linda
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4177558

This is how large my starfruit tree is and is totally loaded with fruit hidden up in the tree and full of blooms for another crop of fruit .

Thumbnail by LeePerk

angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2007
6:37 AM

Post #4177920

Lee, thank you. I sent you a dmail :)

I also just got Vista, It seems like I had just gotten used to XP then my motherboard fried and it was cheaper to just get a new puter vs new MB and upgrades etc. I liked the old XP a lot better!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2007
10:53 AM

Post #4178043

LeePerk, where is Zolfo Springs in relationship to Cocoa Beach?
bocaginger
Coral Springs, FL

November 10, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #4178331

Wow! what a huge tree. Now I'm worried that I may have planted mine too close to the house. It's about 10' away. It's hard to imagine my little six footer ever getting that big. Also hard to imagine how many fruit it will have considering how well it is producing even this little. I may have to set up a fruit stand in front of the house!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 10, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #4178813

LeePerk~

Linda:

Your tree is gorgeous. (Do you know what variety it is?) Mine shows promises of getter larger -- but is still rather spindly. At least I can still get the chance to see the blossoms and the pollenators at close range. New blossoms are still pushing out.

Your fruit is also much riper than mine are. We had a very dry summer -- and the landscaper never saw fit to extend the cycle for the once-weekly sprinkling. I guess the moral is -- don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #4179990

Mittsy, Zolfo is SE from Cocoa Beach. We are in the central part of the state. I am probably 75 to 100 miles further south. I am 50 miles directly east of Bradenton.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #4180116

Flyboy,

Thanks, No i do not know the variety as i inherited the tree when we bought our home. The first year we were here it didn't have much fruit but I began to fertilize and take care of it and now more fruit than you can imagine. I would like to figure out what variety it is. When the fruit is really ripe it is very sweet but if you eat it before it gets really ripe it has more of a citrus tart flavor. I let all of mine ripen on the tree. The cold bit mine last year so early spring we cut it way back and I guess it was just what the doc ordered as it has produced more fruit and it is much larger fruit than before. I have had clusters with as many as 25 fruits. I have had ripe fruit since mid Sept.

I was looking at your fruit pic you posted and it appears yours is a little more pointed than mine maybe just my imagination.

Maybe when your tree gets to producing more we could swap some and see if they are different. :}

Linda
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4180551

Linda, My DH and I were eating one tonight and trying to figure out what they tasted like. I think my Dh came up with the best answer. It tasted sorta like an apple, with a slight orange flavor.

I still like the not quite ripe ones the best. : )
~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #4181059

Lucy, that sounds as good as any description i have heard.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 11, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #4182706

Lee~

Linda:

You're on. Good idea.

The most I have in any cluster is three. My leaves seem a little different, too. They hang straight down -- and are hard to distinguish between them and little fruit.

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #4195997

Brad, Thought i would share a picture of the bowl of Star Fruit i Picked this AM. I couldn't reach the ones in the top of the tree even with a ladder. As you can see I will be sharing . I have another pile picked previously. I pick about once some times twice a week.

Linda

Thumbnail by LeePerk

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2007
5:34 PM

Post #4196228

Another recipe for you. A smoothie. Place 2 cups of soymilk in blender, add I/2 banana (for sweetness) 1 large or several small seeded carambolas, a few gratings of fresh nutmeg, a slice of fresh ginger, skin removed, and a teaspoon to a tablespoon of honey. Blend on high for a minute and a half. Drink up. Serves two.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 15, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4197339

Lee~

WOW

Open a fruit stand. FOR SALE BY OWNER.

And mittsy~

Sounds delicious.

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #4197402

Brad it has been suggested i take my car and park by the road and sell it but i think i had rather just share and make people happy :}.

Mittsy that does sound good will have to try it.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 16, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #4197606

Linda:

You're absolutely correct. That is my philosophy, too.

:)
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #4198556

Wow your starfruit bowl looks delicious!
Linda, I got your stamp out Tuesday morning (forgot Monday was a holiday lol). I included a little suprise :D
~Lenette
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #4198646

Lenette, thanks!!! My fruit has been so beautiful and tasty this year. I think more than ever before. I also had forgotten Monday was a holiday so i didn't get your seed out until Tues.

Linda
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #4205218

MMMMM, looking forward to those Starfruit smoothies, muffins, and of course Turkey. LOL I have a Starfruit that I grew from seed 2 years ago (in a pot). It is about 3 ft. now. I think it needs to be in the ground and in a warmer climate. sighhhhhh.
Elaine (Linda's niece)
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #4205231

That's right...Elaine, you are gonna be down here next week. : ) Don't bring any cold weather with you. We are suppose to be warming back up. Maybe I will get to see you again while you are down. How long will you be here?
~Lucy
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4205386

Lucy,, we are on the way south now. Bringing plants ... and hopefully that cold weather has moved north. Will call you when we get in.
Elaine
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #4205543

Great! Be Safe. : )
~Lucy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 4, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #4261385

Today there are 24, ripening in the sun, in this view.

Can you count them?

Let's see now. 24 times $2.49 equals...

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4262233

Nice! I can count 21. Thats a lot of fruit for the size of the tree. I picked a half bushel off my tree today. My have been the largest they have ever been. Are you getting your road side stand all ready? One of them looks like it is pretty close to ripe. I think it might be the same variety of mine. Enjoy them!!! Linda
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #4262351

Linda, my little tree has perked up, and has some new growth. And even that lil twiggy one in the pot is doing o.k. : )

~Lucy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 5, 2007
4:05 AM

Post #4262878

LeePerk~

Linda:

You are obviously luckier. And with sharp eyes. (The other three are small -- looking like leaves.)

Be well

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #4266237

Lee perk, needs to sell her starfruit to the local fruitstand. Nice profit.
Elaine

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 6, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #4267988

Hey -- maybe we should start a cottage industry.

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #4268127

flyboy, my eyes are not that good maybe I was counting leaves. :)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 6, 2007
6:33 PM

Post #4268450

Eat carambola. They are good for that -- and anything else that ails you.

My great-grandson is visitng in a few weeks. I am saving the first bite for him.

Be well

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 6, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #4269045

As to this thread ...

I have carambolas coming out of my ears here. Not sure what is going on with my tree but it's going bananas instead of carambola. Last year I had a few here and there but this year they just keep coming. They fall to the ground and squirrels and raccoons start to chew on them or they rot. I try to give them away but many people don't like them or are unfamiliar with them. A friend from Germany just left and he ate them as if they were fruit from heaven. Anyway, I printed out the various recipies I saw here. Maybe my wife will cook or bake something with them. Just took a few shots of my tree which is really like a bush of four main stems. When I planted a royal palm near the carambola both were small and distant from each other. Now I don't know. The royal better hurry up and grow before it's pushed aside.

I also wonder if the carambola should be cut back and trimmed somehow. I can't reach the fruit way up top. The branches all hang down from the weight and might break as do many others among my fruit trees. I just reattached a naval branch which had broken off. Maybe it will grow back to the main stem?

Here's the cara

Thumbnail by fredrump

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 6, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4269049

a few of the fruit waiting to be picked

Thumbnail by fredrump

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 6, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4269299

WOW!

THAT's a TREE !!!!!

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #4270058

Wow,,, ya'll all need to get together and start a co-op.. LOL.
Elaine
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #4270070

Fredrump, I trim my tree back considerably each spring. I have found if i do the fruit is much healthier. Yours looks like a nice healthy tree.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 7, 2007
1:30 PM

Post #4270737

LeePerk,

do you cut the top off to make it broader? Or do you chop individual branches off too?

I really need to do this on all my fruit trees but don't really know how to prune effectively. Besides, it always bothers me to chop away at anything. :-)

Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 8, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4272783

I will try tomorrow to take a picture with the leaves pulled back so maybe you can tell. I cut them back to where the wood is about 1" thick. We trim all the larger branches as far up as we can reach with the ladder. It seems to increase the size of the fruit. When we didn't trim it back it would have so much fruit out toward the end of the branches that all the fruit remained small. We usually have one cool spell that nips the ends of the banches anyway so we just trim it back to the healthy growth.

Yours probably doesn't get enough cold weather to damage it. I am 50 miles east of Bradenton so each year we will have one or two freezes.

Linda

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 8, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #4272825

Lee~ and fred~

My tree's leaves look so different. Maybe it's the variety.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 14, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #4294262

I think I'll have to give it more support.

Looks like it'll topple.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 16, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #4300571

Thanks to last night's winds we have a half-dozen fruits to start eating.

That is why the experts say not to grow them in windy climates.

astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2007
5:11 PM

Post #4300588

LeePerk I have a new baby!!! Well a seedling from the seed you sent me.LOL Thank you again. I can't wait for it to grow this coming year. 3 have sprouted so far, it took about 30 days to emerge.
~Samantha

Thumbnail by astcgirl

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #4300880

Well, isn't that cute, a baby Carambola tree. : )

~Lucy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 16, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #4301323

astcgirl~

Congratulations and best wishes.

Make sure that you guy it when you put it out.

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #4301492

astcgirl, thanks for sharing the picture. A new baby to take care of. Seems as though about 30 days is how long it takes. Maybe a little longer when the weather is cooler. Hope they do well for you. Sounds as if you might have more than you need.

My sweetsop has not peeked up yet but I keep hoping. I haven't checked the last couple of days. Will let you know when they do.

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Will hubby be home for the holidays?

Linda
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #4301582

What does a sweetsop taste like?
~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #4301594

Lucy, i have no idea! :} Astcgirl gave the seeds to me. She will have to tell you or perhaps someone else can. By the way did you get your hot house all set up?

Linda
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #4301619

Linda... NO, it was suppose to be here in 2-4 weeks. Last Friday we called them and asked where it was, because it has been over 4 weeks. They said something about next week, but we think they forgot to turn in the order, and now they are having to hurry and make it.

Sure would have liked to have it for these chilly nights. I have all my blooming orchids in the house, cause the wind was blowing them around. I sure didn't get much rain either. Just enuff to settle the dust, alittle.

~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #4301751

Lucy, We didn't get much rain either. We were in Orlando and over toward Sebring , Avon Park it looked like they got lots.

I bet they did forget to turn in your order.

I have been in bed all day today with a cold and fevor. Been struggling with a cold since Monday. Need to be getting over it . Guess I will call the doctor tomorrow.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
4:20 AM

Post #4302798

Hate to hear you are sick. Yes, go on to the Dr. so you can enjoy Christmas. I had to stay away from my DD this week cause she was sick. Something must be going around again.

Get some rest : )
~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #4302827

Thanks Lucy, I have to get better as my DH has to go to Moffitt on Wed. and I need to be able to go with him. He is supose to have his treatment the 28th.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
4:50 AM

Post #4302946

I will keep your DH in my prayers. Moffitt is a great hospital. Lots of good Drs, and the staff are really friendly and helpful. I had a friend over there last year that I visited, and he is doing great now. They really know their stuff. : )

My little Carambola tree is still doing really well. I think it finally likes me. lol : )
~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #4305457

Lucy, went to the doc today and he gave me some antibiotics and i started them tonight. I had to wait 1 hr 45 minutes at the doc. I was begining to wonder why i was there.

Hopefully i will be good as new by Christmas!

Sick as i was i had to move some plants in today. Glad your carambola has decided to like you! :}

Linda
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4305822

Linda, I know how it is when you go to the Dr. You can have an appointment at 9:00, and 15 other people will have one at 9 also.

You should have called me, I could have came down (with my mask on, lol ) and helped you move your plants.

Hope the medicine helps you, and you start feeling better soon.
~Lucy
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #4305831

LP,, sorry to hear you are sick.. Hate it when you have to sit in doc's office and wait with all those other sick folks.. Saying prayers for you and DH too. Too bad you don't have that greenhouse ready. Lucy, hope you get that plant house soon.
Samantha,, what a cute new c. baby! I am sure yours will do well in that nice warm Florida sun..sigh... It is in the 20's here again tonight. BUT,,, we did get almost 4 inches of rain Saturday. That is more than we have gotten in the past 6 months. I just kept looking out the window and enjoying it.
Flyboy, thanks for starting this thread. I love those tropical fruit trees. I need a lemon tree.
Hugs, Elaine

This message was edited Dec 17, 2007 11:13 PM

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 18, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #4306858

EFGeorgia~

Get ready. I just planted a couple of Fuyu Persimmons. They are just bare whips now -- but wait.

Be well

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #4308069

Has anyone grown White Sapote (Casimiroa edulis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62618/)? I grew two from seeds and they are both doing well (about 2 ft high now). I only need one, so if someone wants to trade... or pick one up at Molly's upcoming roundup in March near Gainesville, you are welcome to it. They grew easily from seed for me, so if you know someone that has the tree, you may want to try it. The fruit is a mushy, sweet custard flavor.

I will plant one in my newly constructed tender tropicals & cacti and succulent garden that is designed to be covered in plastic for the winter (already got that job done, fortunately). I would like to send the other White Sapote further south where it can grow without fear of damage in cold winters.

Jeremy

Jeremy
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4308380

Elaine, finally my greenhouse is suppose to be here tomorrow around 9:30ish. Cross your fingers. lol : )
~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #4308837

Elaine (favorite niece) & Lucy I THINK I am feeling a little better this evening. Elaine I didn't sit in the doc's office I set in the nice warm sunshine outside the door and they came and got me when they were ready for me. :} I couldn't complain to much about the wait since they were just working me in.

Elaine I am glad you finally got some rain. You can sure keep those 20 degrees temps. tho. Give your DH a smooch for me for Christmas.

Lucy I will have to come out and check out the hot house. Thanks for the offer of help. I didn't have to many to move.

Oh Elaine i do have the hot house ready. We did that about 2 weeks ago.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #4309145

LP, I'm sure glad you are feeling better. : )

I went to the Dr today, he wants to look down my throat with a scope of some kind on the 27th, to see why my chest is hurting when I bend over. I may have a Hiatal hernia. I hope not, tho.

Anyway, gonna have it checked out. Say a prayer that it is just something minor.
~Lucy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4309201

I got a D-mail request for the White Sapote -- just wanted to let everyone know. Hopefully, anyone else that wants one can find someone with the plants and get a seed. The seeds are about as big as a peach pit or maybe even a small avocado and they germinated very easily for me.

Jeremy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #4310890

Lucy I do pray it is very minor. Do you go locally or out of town?

I woke up with a migrane this am. Seems if it isn't one thing its another. Heck getting old isn't it :) I have them all the time but this one was so bad i was throwing up with it. However, for some reason that seems to help me get rid of it so it has now eased off.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Linda
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #4310902

If I bought a star fruit from the grocery store could I use that seed to plant? After reading through this thread I think it might be worth a try and does not sound like this tree gets to large.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #4310960

Linda, I go out of town. Winter Haven (Gessler)
You have got to stop this getting sick, now darn it. I'm glad you did get some relief from your headache. I've never had one of those, but I do know how awful they are.

I finally got the greenhouse at 8:30 this morning. They were an hour early. Now, I have to figure out how to shade it somewhat.

This has been a busy day, already. First the greenhouse, then over to Sebring for a haircut and highlights,...and now my DD is on her way over. No telling what she has up her sleeves.
Hope your day turns out better than it started. : )
~Lucy

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #4310985

Flyboy, I just came upon this thread. Sri Kembangan is actually Malay for "beautiful blossoms". Guessed the old Malays (natives of Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia) call them such since star shaped fruits resemble giant blooms from afar. We also eat them dipped in soy!
Sapotes...wow! If only I can grow them here..
Thanks for the pics Flyboy, am missing the tropics badly!!!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #4311605

marieo - it's worth a try to see if seed from store bought Star Fruit will germinate. Sometimes fruit growers hybridize plants to have very few seeds in the fruit or to make the seed sterile, but they may not have tampered with the Star Fruit yet.

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 20, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #4311625

heaven~

Thanks for the info on the name. They are right!

And I will certainly try them, dipped in soy sauce. Must be good.

Be well.

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2007
1:27 PM

Post #4312961

Thank you Jeremy.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 21, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4314718

Well -- I must confess. This year's fruit are delicious. (Even my DDW had to agree.

They came off the tree a little early (wind, you know.)

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #4315324

Linda, glad you are feeling better. Lucy whoopee on getting the greenhouse finally.. hmmm starfruit with soy sauce. sounds interesting. It is raining here tonight. Wonderful!!!!
Elaine

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2007
11:54 AM

Post #4316010

Elaine, Mum used to put out two small bowls for us kids. One just plain soy, the other with sliced red hot chillies. Starfruits were also used in curries, sliced. Adds a little tanginess.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #4316646

heavenscape, I will have to give that a try. (soy that is) Certainly sounds like a different way of eating them. I have a cold right now so nothing taste right. Think I will pass on the red hot chillies though even though it might open up my sinisuses :}.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #4316648

Elaine, Lucy

Both DH and I are feeling much better. Think we are gonna make it now.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #4316670

I'm glad to hear that. : ) Now you can enjoy Christmas.

I'm sitting here waiting for the inspector to come and sign off on the greenhouse. I hope it passes. It had to be so far from the property lines one way, so far from the fence another way, and so far from this, that and the other.

I hope I don't have to move it. I wouldn't know how I would do that. lol : )
~Lucy
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #4316729

Another thing I need to do is track down some shadecloth. Any ideas?
I'm thinking maybe 30 or 40 %.
~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
6:35 PM

Post #4316994

Lucy, don't you just love our inspectors. When we put our alarm system in they had to come out and inspect it and what a joke. He kinda walked in and said well you got an alarm system and then you pay an inspection fee. He probably can care less about where it is located.

Afraid i am not to good with shade cloth wish i could help.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #4317468

Hey, Lucy. Glad the greenhouse arrived and was constructed properly! I think you can get shade cloth from both Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm not sure what percentage of shade it may offer. You might also make out cheapest by just going to JoAnne's or another fabric store and buying some of their acrylic/plastic touille by the yard. I've picked it up before for about a $1 per yard for several previous projects. I've never used it as shade cloth, but I think it would work about the same. You could always double it if you wanted more shade -- plus you have your choice of several exciting colors! Be sure to ask for the plastic based touille. I think it would hold up better and costs less than the nylon type. You might ask them to show you both varieties because sometimes they will automatically direct to the more expensive and less sturdy stuff. It should at least work temporarily and may turn out to last as good (or better) than shade cloth.

Jeremy
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2007
10:49 PM

Post #4317661

I'll have to check that out Jeremy, I would have never thought of that. : )

Linda, all this inspector wanted to know mainly, was if it was secured to the ground properly, and to tell me that I would need another permit if I ever hooked up the electricity.

I think it was something like 65 dollars to just set it on my property. Thieves... lol : )
~Lucy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #4318236

Lucy, I was by your road today and saw your hot house I am jealous.

Inspection is just a revenue generator for the county. Nickel , dime n us lol.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #4318262

You will have to come and see it when you feel better. I haven't put anything in it yet. Still just staring at it. lol : )
~Lucy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 22, 2007

Post #4319718

Golly, they are tasty.

:)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #4320815

flyboy, those are beautiful!
Lucy, welllll, that $65 will surely be well spent. Now get those seeds and plants growing. (would you like some snow nymph salvia, hot lips salvia seeds or anise hyssop.. or?? It might be hard to find shade cloth anywhere this time of year... Jeremy had some good ideas.
Linda, glad ya'll are feeling better.
Elaine
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #4320846

Elaine, I'm gonna start a new topic in this forum to show you a few things, so we don't keep messing up flyboys Carambola topic. He might not mind, but still... : )
~Lucy

Oh, and yes, yes, yes, I want some snow nymph salvia, hot lips salvia seeds or anise hyssop. I love those kinds of flowers. I wish I had ALL the different kinds of salvias. : )
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #4320851

You got them.. I love those salvias too.
Elaine
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2007
5:07 AM

Post #4321203

Wow! I never imagined there was a white salvia!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65131/

I feel another quest coming on...perhaps a garden with nothing but unexpected varieties of white flowers...?

Thanks for sharing about that plant, Elaine.

Jeremy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2007
6:08 AM

Post #4321285

Well, I needed instant gratification in my quest for the white salvia. I found someone selling seeds for it on eBay and ordered some (along with some other impulse buys, of course, to take advantage of the free shipping on any additional items). Only about $15 total with shipping -- it is my gift to myself (no need to determine if I've been naughty or nice for self-gifting - LOL)

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 23, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #4322021

Pleas don't leave the ship. It's not sinking.

It gives me a place to go when I log in.

Happy Holidays -- and be well.

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #4322240

We haven't left you. : )
Happy Holidays to you, also.
~Lucy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 23, 2007
6:39 PM

Post #4322244

Don't be wild.

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #4323038

Awww, we wouldn't leave you all alone... I love all the Carambola information and chatting with my friends in Florida. My Starfruit tree is 'surviving' in the greenhouse, but it's not happy. I may need to repot it.
Merry Christmas and a wonderful, safe, healthy, happy new year. And oh yes, Happy Gardening.
Jeremy, I think I have some more Snow Nymph seeds. Will have to check on, oh just went back and read the thread. Now I hate that you bought them. It is really pretty.
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 24, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #4323232

Merry Christmas to all.

and, be well

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #4323513

I'm getting 25 'Snow Nymph' seeds for about $2.79 in the eBay deal, Elaine. Please hold your seeds and keep me in mind in case I don't get any germination from the ones I bought. This was definitely one of those "got to have it NOW!" plants so I jumped into buying it when I saw it available at a reasonable price from a Google search. I am just amazed that there is a white salvia! Thanks for introducing me to this wonderful plant.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and joyous holidays for all other celebrations this time of year! I will have a DG online article published on 12/25 about a country Christmas memory. I can't provide a link yet because the link won't be active until the day of publication. I do hope some of you will find a moment on 12/25 or some time afterwards to read the article. It is what I'm using in lieu of greeting cards this year, perhaps a bit impersonal, but it sure saves on postage! LOL

Jeremy
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #4324009

Jeremy, saw half a dozen big plant stands with clearance plants on them yesterday at Lowe's and giggled for a while, thinking of you cramming a zillion plants in your van precariously. Nearby customers probably thought I had some sort of holiday madness syndrome!

Flyboy, since I saw your thread, I've found 2 baby carambola seedling from a beautiful tree that I unfortunately lost several years ago. Potted one up a last week and found another a few days ago! Tough little trees. Your tree is gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

Merry Christmas Eve to all!
Cathy
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #4324239

LeePerk, I have a seedling. I planted my seeds on November 1, and here it is today. What a Christmas gift!

Thumbnail by mittsy

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #4324875

Yea Mittsy a new baby just in time for Christmas. Looks good.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 24, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #4325067

Remember !!!

Don't be wild!

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2007
10:08 AM

Post #4325745

Merry Christmas and don't eat too many sugarplums! Honeybells are in and are delicious! Anyone ever start one from seed?

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 25, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #4326020

mittsy~

Ours are now getting sweet. It takes a couple of cold nights to get the sugar flowing.

Sorry -- we found ours here.

Be well

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #4326283

Santa brought a gentle but thorough rain! What a nice gift!

Here's the link to my "Christmas Apples" article:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/411/

Have a happy day, all.

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 25, 2007
7:51 PM

Post #4326444

Send it down here. We can use it.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 25, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #4326449

P.S.

And, Jeremy, that was a great story.

T'was wise of you to write it down -- so that yours will remember.

Brad

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 2, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #4351663

Didn't have to do much reaching for fruit, this morning.

The chilly north winds helped. Today I had to do bending.

Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Keep warm.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #4351797

I brought all my plants indoors to protect them from the cold front headed our way and just discovered I have another carambola baby. Do you need more than one for pollination? Do es every tree set fruit or are they male or female? How old must they be before you get fruit?

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 2, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4351810

mittsy~

Can't give you too much help. I do know, however, that they self-pollinate. Mine doesn't have any friends in the neighborhood.

I bought it a year ago -- with fruit. It bore even more this year. I am certain that it was a couple of years old. It was a grafted specimen.

It does bear a lot -- yet it is still only about seven-feet tall.

Be well

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #4352030

Thanks, I really love growing things from traded seed.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 2, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #4352906

Good luck.

And, keep warm.

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #4354104

Oh,, we had lots of good rain over Christmas. And now,,sigh,,, so cold tonight 17. Hope the weather guessers are wrong. I had to put another layer of cover over my temporary greenhouse. And 2 small heaters going. Sure hope my orchids make it. And my star fruit tree, and blooming hibiscus, and brugmansias.. COL
Elaine
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2008
10:44 AM

Post #4355186

Elaine, when I gardened in NY and we had an early or late frost, we'd get up before the sun hit the garden and spray everything down with water. It helped to minimize the damage. I'm going to try it here today in Cocoa Beach.
Mittsy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 3, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4355897

Forty degrees this morning.

My basil caught IT. No more Caprese salad for awhile.

But the tomatoes did fine. (I gave them a thorough soaking with the still-warm hose water). And, all but one carambola was knocked down. (Half of one of them found its way into our cereal bowls.)

Here's this morning's harvest.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 3, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #4355906

And the navel oranges have never been as sweet.

Keep warm

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #4355944

Yes sir...the oranges are really going to like this cold. Those look so yummy. Thats just how I cut them to eat. Made ambrosia for everyone at christmas. It would be even better now.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #4356935

I juiced the last of our purchased honeybells this morning. We have a farmers market at city hall on sundays so I hope the citrus vendor will have all that he could pick ready for sale this weekend. I'll stock up and freeze some. We are so spoiled grocery store juice tastes sour to me now, and I'm sure with pasteurization that all the vitamins have been cooked out, too.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #4357290

I didnt think the honeybells were in. I could stand and suck the juice out of those all day. Good thining about looking for them right after the freeze in case they got picked.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #4357295

Do you just squeeze and freeze? I buy fresh squeezed thru the season, never knew I could freeze it just straight.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4357304

Yeppers, the best in the world. Just squeeze and freeze, then thaw and shake. Delish!!!

Mittsy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #4357829

Flyboy I am out of town did you say the cold did or did not hurt your starfruit? I picked all my ripe ones about 3/4 of a bushell before i left and want be home until Sat. I am hoping the cold didn't hurt my tree.

Linda

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 4, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #4357859

LeePerk~

Linda:

It looks great. Still has most of its leaves -- and they are healthy.

Also -- one fruit still hanging on.

This has been a fantastic year.

Brad

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #4357945

sighhhhh, now this really makes me long for home in Florida. I can taste those oranges, yum. If I could just take my home and this Georgia boy on down with me.. LOL Sure hope all the tomatoes make it ok. We had around 20 here last night. All my small ponds are frozen over. Put a spotlight on my fishes to keep them from freezing. They are way down deep under the leaves anyway.
Elaine
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #4358480

Our Orange grove come through o.k., we had microjets going all night. Alot of ice this morning. My green house only had one little heater in it beacause I had to run extention cords out to it. It got down to about 38 in there, which burnt the leaves of my Thunbergia, and a tomato. Other than that, I was surprised how much cold the plants took.

The things in the yard that may or may not be lost were..2 out of 3 papayas, Morning Glory Bush, Sunflower Tree, Datura, and a couple of Brugs. I say maybe, because the stems aren't showing mush yet. All my passion flowers are just wind burnt mainly, and were still bloomin today. (Linda the red wasn't hardly touched, so yours probably hasn't been either.)

Also, Linda, do you need me to go check any of your plants for you, so you know? I could do a walk around, if you aren't gonna be home soon. And is Rene home yet? What about her orchids?
~Lucy
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #4358565

Oh, Lucy that is sooo sweet of you, I hadn't thought about your orange trees, but the news said they would be ok because it didn't stay too cold for very long. I am sure those flowers all will be fine. I think some cold is good for them. Just not too cold. Mom is not home yet, but she put all her good orchids under the patio and it is very protected. I have several papayas if yours doesn't make it. I planted one out just to see if it would make it,,, don't think it liked the 17 degrees last night though.. time will tell. Those brugs are pretty hardy, even if they die back to the root., especially if they have any tree or other shelter nearby. I will be interested to know if the Sunflower tree makes it.
hugs, Elaine
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #4358631

Elaine, I have't walked out to it yet, but it's all brown. It was just fixing to put out a 2nd bunch of flowers, too, cause I had removed all the seeds. I'm pretty sure it's not dead and will come back from the ground if nothing else.

I didn't even think about your mom's orchids in the trees, till today. They probably did ok tho, cause of the trees and the close houses. They will probably need water pretty soon tho, they will be very thirsty after this cold spell. I know mine were thirsty. If she needs me to go water, I can.

One papaya looks to be ok. I don't know about the fruit tho,...maybe it will drop the fruit if they are no good.

~Lucy
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #4359239

In Cocoa Beach the wind was worse than the cold, really took the leaves off my Jasmine tree. I brought everything in pots and all my phals inside. I hope the bananas are ok, it's still to soon to tell. My seedlings, (in the ground) orange and lemon trees seem to be okay. I watered everything yesterday morning because they were so dry from the wind. it also helps to rinse the salt off.

A friend gave me a huge seed from an exotic fruit. I think it may be a mango. Does anyone know if I can plant this?

Thumbnail by mittsy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 4, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #4359659

It's a mango.

I clipped this out: (saves me having to write it.)

After eating or cutting away the fruit of the Mango, the seed must be scraped clean of most of the fibrous material clinging to it. Dry the seed thoroughly. The Mango seed is large and flat and looks a bit like a taco. One edge of the seed will be slightly rounded, the other edge will be a bit sharper. Being very careful, use a sharp knife to cut away enough of this sharp edge to expose a bit of the interior of the seed. Partially pry open the seed shell to expose the plant embryo but leave it intact. Place the seed, cut side up, in a small container of water and place it in a warm sunny location such as a kitchen window. Change the water every 2 or 3 days and in a few weeks the plant will start to grow. When the plant is well established and has about 6 leaves it is time to plant it in potting soil. Regardless of the time of year that I have tried to propagate from mango seed, only about half of the sprouts have survived. One of the problems has been moving the seed from water to soil too soon. The sprout really has to be well established before planting it into moist potting soil. The temperature should remain above 72F. Propagating this plant may be easier during summer months when heat is free. Another problem may be that many mangoes are picked before they are ripe and the seeds have not fully developed.

I believe that all seeds have to be dry before planting. The wet gunk is what keeps the seed from sprouting while it is still inside the host plant.

Good luck

This message was edited Jan 4, 2008 11:47 AM
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #4359894

Fascinating, Flyboy! I love to learn new things!

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 4, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #4359998

Jax~

Jeremy:

I trust that I am correct. At least, that's The Gospel (according to me.)

Be well

Brad

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #4360199

Only thing I can think of that I dont dry is an avacado pit. Maybe im suppose to. Just stick those toothpicks in and hang it in water. Never have lived anywhere long enough to see if the trees ever made fruit.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #4361158

Thanks, I have been soaking and scraping so I'm on the right track. I don't have a sunny window but I will try the patio. I do have an avocado that I started in dirt. It has cracked open and new leaves are forming inside. I think it is great to grow newr things. Thanks so much for the information.

Mittsy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #4361255

I don't know how long it takes avocados to bear fruit, GGlory, but they do grow and make avocados as far north as Coconut Grove. I spent a summer there eons ago doing Equus at the playhouse. We had guacamole every night because the avocados were falling by the hundreds and rotting on the ground.

There was an avocado growing on my property when I bought it 6 yrs ago. It was about 5 ft tall. I tried to move the avocado, but it died. However, it came back from whatever there was left of the roots in the original location. It gets about 4 ft tall each year, and dies back. I suppose if you had a sheltered location, you might be able to get one to bear fruit someday. One thing to note, however, is that the avocados are related to Red Bays *Persea genus) and there is concern that the ambrosia beetles may start invading and killing the avocados with the same rapid fungal disease that is killing all the Red Bay trees in N Florida and Georgia.

Jeremy
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #4361381

mmmm, I would love an avocado right now with a vine ripened tomato. Well, at least we don't have all that California weather. Been a long time since I went skiing... Hope all those star fruit trees are ok.. I remember reading that you can tell if it is a Star Fruit Tree if the leaves curl up when you touch them and it is true. Nature is amazing. Lucy, Mom put all her best orchids inside and Linda went over and covered those in trees.. such a good sister.
Elaine
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #4361396

Elaine, That's good to hear. I need sisters like that. : ) You mean, your momma and your aunts didn't give you any of the avocadoes I gave them? My tree only had about 50 on it this year. I guess it's getting old and tired. lol
~Lucy
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4361423

yes,, I think they shared one with me LOL.. I need sisters like that too... I only have brothers... and most of the time they are good ones.. Good question about how long those avocado trees last??
*Elaine *
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #4361473

This tree is probably over 60 years old. (my DH says between 60 and 80) It rotted in the center and only lives with a half a side. A few years back, I let 3 young trees that were connected to it grow, one fell during Hurrican Charley, but the other 2 are bigger than their mom now, and one of them had a couple of fruits on it last year.

Alot of years the cold will burn the tips of the branches, and I will not get fruit. The year Charley hit it was loaded with fruit, they were like flying missles all over the yard. Not a one stayed on the tree.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #4361506

arrrrrrg,, yes, I remember Charley. That was a bad year... trying to find a safe place to hide.
hugs,
Elaine

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 5, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4361859

Did somebody mention "avocados" from seed?

I started this thread a little less than a year ago:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/690113/

I started two. This is the one I pinched back.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4361872

mmmm, I can see a little flower bud already. Flyboy, you are like me with lots of patience I can tell.
Elaine

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 5, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #4361887

EFG~

Elaine:

This is (was) the same plant a month ago. (The red pole is a mop handle.)

See the whole story on the above-mentioned thread.

Brad

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #4361985

Yes,, I went back and read thread and I think I remember reading it last year. It sure is growing fast. I definitely see a bloom.. Must be that mop prop. LOL
Elaine
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #4362081

Back from Tampa Lucy and everything went great DH is doing fine.

As Elaine said, I covered Lorines orchids in the trees on Wed. before i went over to tampa. Lorine will be home on Sunday.

Thanks for the offer to come check on my plants. I took care of pretty much everything that could be taken care of before i left.

I was able to take a quick look when i got home early evening. Looks like my Carambola took a hit. Most of the fruit is on the ground (I picked all that was ripe before i left). It will probably have to be cut way back but I had to do that because of a freeze last year. I think the base of the tree is fine. Actually cutting it back seems to help it.

My brugs look pretty bad but i think just the tops are damaged. I cut one way back and stuck the cuttings in water just in case. My jatropa's are bit but think they will be ok. Right now my staghorn looks ok i didn't cover it.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #4362167

So glad everything went good with your DH, Linda. Give him plenty of hugs and kisses. : )

My brugs got bit also, but I think they are ok. I will keep checking on them. I do have some new ones rooted that are different, so when they get big, you and Elaine, and Lorine, too if she wants any, can get some cuttings. I will be potting them tomorrow.
~Lucy

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #4362256

Thanks Lucy i will.

I don't know why i didn't post on the chit chat just tired i guess. Have been up since 5:00 am and for someone who does not do mornings that was rough. Bet i will get some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ tonite.

You had really good timing to get your hot house.

Linda
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #4362263

Lucy do you know if we wait until spring to cut the damaged portion of the brugs back?
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #4362285

Yes, I did. But, I still have to get it wired, I barely kept it above freezing with extension cords, and a small heater.

Also, I had them raise it off the ground onto blocks, so I have to put a removable floor covering on the floor in the winter. Too much wind was coming in from there. I finally went out and threw down an old bedspread over part of the floor, and it gave me a few more warm degrees. : )
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #4362288

I'll answer your question over in the chit chat. : )

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 20, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #4428984

D'ya remember the song "The last rose of summer?" Well, this is "the last carambola of winter."

Don't know what keeps it on, with all this wind today.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4430947

I have a few still on the tree but most are on the ground now.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #4436184

brrr, cold here too..low of 19 last night, and 32 tonight. My electric bill will now chase that water bill I had all summer... (but my plants are snug in the greenhouse.) And the goldfishies have all snuggled down under the mud and leaves. And mustard greens are covered again.
Elaine

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 27, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4717720

Spring is sprung -- and things are waking up.

Here are some new buds. You have to look closely, upper mid-section.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 27, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #4717723

And new leaves. (Most of the old are already pretty scrungy.)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4723875

AHHH, spring has sprung. Mine is coming out of the greenhouse tomorrow. Hoping for some spring rain on it.
Elaine

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 29, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #4725492

Good luck

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4728376

Thanks, so far Atlanta is getting all that good rain. Maybe tomorrow..
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #4728540

Flyboy that is what mine looked like also but I just whacked mine way back so the fruit will be bigger. Lots of new growth. Spring is definitely here.

Elaine do not take that out to early. Mine in the pot is doing really well also.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #4732160

Linda, that baby is out of the greenhouse and soaking up some shady/sun. Along with about 3 hundred other pots.. sure seems like it anyway.
Elaine

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 20, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5133790

Wake up -- wake up. The sky is falling.

But, I still don't have any buds on my carambola. Gorgeous leaves. That's all.

What's doing with yours?

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #5134040

My is absolutely full of blooms. Have your fertilized yours?

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 20, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5134117

No -- not anything unusual. I gave it some a few months ago -- regular Home Depot special. How often do you fertilize -- what do you use -- and how much?

It is full of leaves -- and new ones sprouting out. It is a "sri..."

S'funny. I have a pink grapefruit that had nary a blossom right next to it.

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5134233

I use regular 10-10-10 or 8-8-8 which ever i happen to have and i fertilize 2 or 3 times a year. I am not consitent but i don't over fertilize when i do. Bare in mind mine is a very large tree. Yes it is full of leaves if cut it way back in early April. I trim mine back each year. Will take a picture later and post it.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #5134564

Picture of my bloom.

Thumbnail by LeePerk

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 20, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5135061

Looking good.

Mine is a young one. Not quite two years in my yard. About eight feet tall. I'll take another photo tomorrow.

Be well

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5135227

mmmmm, Hi flyboy.
good to hear from you. You should join us over on the chat thread.

Elaine

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 21, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5137859

So I checked with Kathy at Crowley's. And she said, "Don't worry." Evidently her's haven't pushed out blossoms. either. So -- I won't worry. She said "fertilizer and water."

Here is mine, this morning. (Hope the clouds in the background bring some rain!)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5137883

It looks mighty healthy to me i wouldn't worry.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 21, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5138370

I have blooms and fruit. Seems to be almost a year around affair. Right now our tree has only about a dozen large fruit hanging there but when the real thing happens we have more then we can even give away. Boxes and boxes full to all comers.

Fred

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 21, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5138379

My problem is this:

I am not a worrier -- but when I am told "not to worry" -- then, I worry.

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5138469

Don't worry BE HAPPY!!!!
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5138479

Now, I'll be singing that song the rest of the day. lol

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5138530

You are making the star fruit sound great wish I had room for one.

On the problems with vista. I changed the protection programs now no problem. Don't as me how I know less than a 3 year old about the computer. You should hear me trying to talk to hp help line. Can you imagen a very southern lady who does not know anything much about computers talking to a person from india!!!!! Even when I understood him I did not understand. And the poor fellow half the time could not figure what I was saying. After 2am I give up. Later I figured out what he was trying to tell me.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 21, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #5138699

wren~

You are lucky. (Chauvinist that I am) You spoke to a man. I spoke with a young lady who whispered -- and must have had a meter running somewhere. I honestly couldn't understand what she was saying. To compound matters, she had to look up everything on a manual. Egads!!!! We were discussing a new camera I had purchased. She got me to reset everything that I had already set on the weapon. Then my fun really started.

Oh for the good old days.

And, start one in a container. What with the price of fruit at Publix, anything you can grow is a blessing. I started an avocado from seed a little more than a year ago. The tree is now about eight feet tall -- and verdant. Next time they have another feeze in California it won't matter so much. (Maybe I'll even live long enough to make my own guacamole.)

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5138843

I need to learn to make guacamole, I have a avocado tree, but don't like avocadoes that much. I do like quacamole, tho. : )

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 21, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #5139031

First you need a key lime tree and some cilantro growing in your garden.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5139412

I have the key lime.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5139774

We probably all need to learn how to garden again. Guess the 2 tornadoes in the past 2 years we had opened up more sunshine for that.
Lucy, those sista girls will help you with guacamole.
Elaine
Hi Wren.. how are U?

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5139787

So-so poped a stitch but doc does not wont to bother with it until monday. I'm taking it easy but I did buy some seeds. May have some to give away. I wish they had small yard package of seeds.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5139818

Oh,, Wren, now I am a worrier from way back.. please be sure to watch and if you see anything unusual or feel bad, call or go the emergency room immediately. You cannot trust yourself to anyone but you.
Hugs,
Elaine

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5139867

I know my DBIL had me a block from the ER when the doctor called and told me to just bandage it, that they could not do anything until it dried you. What pissis me is I told the nuresy that I felt something pop yesterday.

Oh well thats life, I am just falling apart. Just non of ya'll make me laugh for the next few days
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5139935

OK,,, just look after yourself. I promise I won't make you laugh,, well. I could tell a joke.. NOT.
Elaine

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5140190

thanks and good nite.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5140289

nite

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 21, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5581238

I suppose, better late than never.

My tree exploded with blossoms.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 21, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5581243

Check the big bug that's busy pollenizu\ing. He is busy like a bee, but not one.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 21, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5581249

And a coupe of fruit have formed. (Look closely, in the center.)

Be well

Happy growing.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5581358

A little bit of warning if you know any one with kidney failure. If they eat star fruit it will KILL them. They have a large sign at the kidney dialysis center that my dad goes to, with this warning.
Sandy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5582341

Really Sandy what does the sign say.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2008

Post #5582395

That a person with kidney failure should not eat star fruit because there is something(can't remember what it is called) that would cause the death of a person with kidney failure.
Sandy
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5582434

Flyboy, lovely blooms, hope they all set fruit.

Oh, my, that's very scary. Sandy, did you post this warning earlier? If so, we need to be reminded. Was there any other fruit listed?

Elaine

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5582451

Yes I did . And as far as I know that is the only fruit. But there is a number of foods that people with renal(kidney) failure should not eat but non that I know of that can be fatal. The sign has been up only a couple of weeks so do not know how much info there is on the internet on it. Sandy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5582478

Interesting the cancer doctor told my husband not to ear Brocolli. He said if you have never had cancer it is good for you but if you have had it it actually feeds the cancer. Go figure.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 22, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5584489

In my mind, the only people safe are those guys floating around in the space labs. They say that they reprocess their own waste. Sounds yucky, but that's life. Too many people know too much about too little.

Sometimes I feel that I should get down into the cellar, and stay there. (But, no more. We now live on slabs, so that won't work.)

For those without kidney failure; not many fruit have shown up, but the bees are busy, busy, busy.

Be well

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

September 22, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5584738

Florida apple is what I call them i have a couple here grew from seed . They are very tastey I think the more we grow for our selves the better we are. I cut down nice stalk of bananas yesterday. Fly boy how did you make out with that banana tree your friend gave you? Next year it would have bananas. If your into the unusal fruit you would proably like the pomello there is a citrus nursery near me that sells them Harris citrus plant city check them out they have all kinds I bought a barbados cherry and 2 different kinds of pomello from them going back for the jack fruit I think there neat
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5585537

Pineapple that is green or not fully ripe can cause miscarriages and "extreme purging." I was surprised to learn that factoid when I was doing research for my article about growing pineapples from the cut off bromeliad top.

Jeremy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2008

Post #5586723

Who knows what we should and should not eat. I do know the starfruit are wonderful in a lettuce salad. They actually fill the place of tomato's quite well.

Dana where in Mulberry is that nursery. Would you post the address if you have it. I could put it in my GPS system.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 23, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5589767

Dana~

Here is the banana tree today.

That thing behind it is a six-foot rule. The top leaf is now over six feet tall.

Hopefully, next year.

Be well

;)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

September 23, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5590008

Lee it is off 39 south I don't have address check the web page you can get a # from there it is in Plant City Harris citrus nursery
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5590924

Thanks Dana. I think i know where it is just did not know the name of it. I have been over to Southern Hospitallity twice in the last couple of wks and i went 39.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

September 24, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5591430

Lee i know that is a great store Its on the other end of 39 lithia pinecrest school is close by once you see the school its only 50-75 ft after that on same side of road. Pack a lunch and stop at Alderman Ford Park its on the way. Not too far from there hope this helps you Dana
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #5591449

Thanks will look fwd to it.
terro
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5600168

This year I had a bumper crop of carambolas. So I'm making wine out of about 40 pounds of them. I thought I was going to have to go around hanging bags of the fruit on neighbors doorknobs but finally disposed of the last of it.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5600181

I picked a bushell yesterday and they are the largest they have ever been. Thought about the wine but decided that was way to much trouble for me.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5600222

Now, Linda... just put them in the freezer... or maybe on the back porch. LOL

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5600235

They are on the back porch. I still have some frozen from last year.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5600261

Fermenting? lol

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 26, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5602844

Can't figure. These are the first blossoms this year.. Still a long way to fruit.

I am not usually down here until mid-October, so this is a first.

I normally pick them in November.

Be well

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5603669

Does anyone have any trees for trade. I'm too impatient for seeds. LOL
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5614088

Do the leaves drop off or is it evergreen?
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

September 29, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5614398

Leaves stay year round one of my customer has me cut hers back after fruits gone. Walmart has big size trees 25-30 dollars
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5614736

Walmart?? wow! Thanks for the information...
JoyceDee
Fort White, FL

September 30, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5616717

Linda: I'm near Gainesville...wonder if carambolas will grow this far north. I'd like to try it if you send me some seeds. How do I Dmail my address? Promise to repay postage...or send it ahead.
Joyce
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5617605

Joyce I will be more than happy to send you seeds, however, I do not think you will have luck with them that far north. Guess its nothing ventured nothing gained and i sure have plenty of seeds. I used to live in G'ville so i know about the weather there.

If you want to try it just click on my screen name and you can d-mail me from there and i will send you seeds. Are you coming to the RU I plan to be there as well. Either way just let me know.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5618390

I'll have to check out our super Walmart now that my son has gone to college and can't block the entrance to the Garden Shop anymore when we go shopping. LOL
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

October 1, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #5622489

If you come to Lakeland the walmart here is on 37 Mulberry Lakeland line it has trees 8 ft tall trees for 25-30 dollars its worth it. If so get with me and I would meet up with you.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5622648

Thanks. I'll check with mine first. The only free time I have for a trip is weekends and I'm tied up for the next few helping my family remodel my mother's house and then the Roundup on the 18th.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

July 3, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6773642

Here it, July already -- and there is nary a bud in view.

How are yours doing?

Be well

(^=_=^)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6782952

Hi,,, your tree is looking pretty good... how are you doing?

I think all those fruit trees took a big hit this past winter.
Linda's(Leeperk) Starfruit was frozen way back, but it is coming back again.. Maybe nature's way of pruning.??
The peaches up our way are doing great this year.

Elaine
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6784600

I've seen carambola trees available this year at Lowe's and other nursuries - good sized trees about 6 ft tall for about $20 - but I'm hesitant to try one because of our winter temperatures.

I had quite a few peaches ripening on my Flordahome peach tree, but the squirrels got to them before I did. Next year, I will be out there early in the fruit formation to spray with cayenne pepper!

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

July 6, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6785113

We're a bit warmer down here -- and we are on the waters -- which is a warming factor, as well.

It's just that I saw some from a nursery that were blooming. I had a few blooms a month ago, but they did not germinate.

Guess I'll just wait.

Be well

LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6790966

Well as EFGeorgia said my tree took a major hit from the winter but i have pruned it way back and it seems to be coming out looking better than before. I have not seen a lot of bloom yet and i really don't think i will have a lot of fruit this year. I will post a picture in the next couple of days so you can see what the cold did.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

July 8, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6791184

Lee~

Can't wait.

But how far north are you?

Be well

(d=_=b)
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6793121

OK here is my tree. It is about half the size it was last year. However, it does look healthier. I have found no blooms as yet but still have hope. I really don't want as much fruit as i had last year. I could not keep up with it. I don't know how old this tree is.

Flyboy I live 50 miles east of Bradenton pretty much right in the center of Florida.

Thumbnail by LeePerk

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

July 8, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6793701

Lee~

That's a tree. We are both about the same latitude.

Mine is still a whip -- a sapling.

Let me know when you have your first blossoms,

Be well

(d=_=b)
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6794062

Will do!!!
Chuck7
Lakeland, FL

July 9, 2009
6:49 AM

Post #6796646

If anyone has a couple seeds left over could you Dmail me?
{ -:
Thanks,
Chuck7
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6798167

Chuck will be happy to share when there is new fruit. Seeds from last year wouldn't be any good as they have to be planted fairly quickly. Maybe some available Oct. or Nov. will keep you in mind but don't hesitate to remind me.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6798571

Has anyone tried germinating seeds from the starfruit that are available in grocery stores? The commercial fruit may have been developed to be sterile, but not much to lose by trying to germinate the seeds (and you get to eat a delicious starfruit in order to get at the seeds - LOL).

Jeremy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6798829

Haven't tried it but don't know why it wouldn't work. I germinated guava seeds that i bought and they are now about 3 ft high.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6800138

Linda,, yellow guavas? mmmmm good jelly
Elaine
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6800208

yep, yellow guavas. they are looking good.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6800567

All this talk about carambola had me check my tree today. I didn't take any pictures but there are ripe and not so ripe fruits hanging inside the tree in the shade. I've seen no blooms but obviously they happened. I also cut much of the frozen branches back. The tree seems to like the trim.

Fred

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

July 10, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6801905

Fred:

You win the early prize. Mine are still waiting.

Be well

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 13, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6814684

I have a customer that has a big one in Lakeland she has me cut it back every year they do like to be pruned.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6814970

Dana - did the Lakeland Carambola suffer freeze damage this year, or was it necessary to prune it as normal? Or do you prune it in the fall prior to cold weather? (I am just curious if they are more cold-tolerant as they get more mature.)

Jeremy
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6816657

Jeremy yes they are more cold tolerant as they get larger. It will bite the smaller limbs back but the trunk survives putting on the new growth. Mine has been bitten back 2 years in a row.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 16, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6824792

Yes thats the way hers was I have a few that are 3 ft covered even kicked them hard thought I lost them but there almost back where they were before the freeze
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7399735

Hooray! I finally have my own Carambola! I found this one for half-price at Lowe's a few months ago and finally got it into the ground. I will provide winter protection during the freezes. It is planted in the same area as my Plumeria/other tropical fruit trees/pony tail palm/cacti and succulents. That entire planting gets a huge tent of 6 mil plastic to help bring it through the cold weather.

This is the cultivar, Averrhoa carambola 'Fueng Tung' [as spelled on the plant tag, the spelling in Plant Files "Fwang Tung" seems to be more correct].

Jeremy

This message was edited Jan 7, 2010 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 26, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #7399856

Yeah.

We ate a few today -- just ripe and squishy. delicious.

Welcome aboard.

Be well -- and a Healthy and Happy New Year to you.

(o_O)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7400782

Thanks, flyboy! I am happy to be amongst those going to the stars with my fruit tree gardening. LOL

Happy New Year to you, also, and all!

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 1, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7416534

They are delicious.

Be well

(o_O)
_CODY_
Morgan Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2010
11:32 PM

Post #7432150

i am in need of some starfruit experts and this looks like a good place. lol
i just got a 2 foot high little starfruit seedling from a trade a few days ago. i have no idea how long it takes from seed to fruit. does anyone know??? i am tempted to buy a fruit from the grocery store because i have never had one before but everyone tells me not to because they taste horrid!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2010
12:01 AM

Post #7432245

They usually say it takes 3 years from seed planting. :)
_CODY_
Morgan Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7432257

oh. 3 years isnt bad at all. i was afraid of hearing 5 or 6. lol
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010

Post #7432393

I haven't done anything to protect my new Starfruit sapling (photo above). I planted it with some other tropical fruit trees in a garden area that I usually build a large tent over for the winter. But after staying up to 4 AM to build tents for the Brugmansia and Bromeliad gardens during the first two nights of the freezing weather, I just ran out of energy and enthusiasm and left the tropical fruit trees to do whatever they will.

So far, my Starfruit Tree is holding all its leaves despite three nights of 20s F weather with no protection, so maybe the trees are hardier than the Zone rating they usually get.

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 6, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7433044

I am still picking fruit. It has been a long season. And there still are some blossoms. The winds helped to hurry the harvest.

It is still holding a rather full complement of leaves -- a few are yellowing off and falling.

And, don't compare home-grown, ripe starfruit with store-bought.

Be well -- stay warm.

(o_O)

This message was edited Jan 6, 2010 7:08 PM
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7435145

I've had yellowing of the leaves these past few nights, so brought it into the sunroom (I think this the the last year of it being a mobile size) I just don't want to lose the remaining fruit, which isn't quite ripe. I finished picking any citrus off of my very small twing trees. I see last night's freeze did the banana trees in, but they always pop back, almost impossible to kill once they get established. I'm not going to cover too much more, I'll just have to let whatever happens, happen. siiigh...
Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7435274

I'd love to get a Starfruit tree. Its on my list... lol

Darla
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7435575

Darla...they had them last year at Lowes, very reasonablly priced, quite large (maybe 6 feet?) and already blooming, so you don't wait for years for your first fruit.
Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7435642

I'll have to look there often. I usually see the citrus, I'll have to look closer.

Darla
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7438042

Darla - I can try to propagate my 'Fwang Tung' starfruit. I'm not sure if a propagation from an older tree would result in fruit sooner, or if the rooted cutting would still need the 3 - 5 years to become fruitful? But it won't hurt to try. I was lucky to find my Starfruit at Lowe's for a bargain price. The 4 - 6 ft trees are usually about $30. I think I've also seen them at WalMart nurseries for about the same price.

Jeremy
Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7438644

I think come spring I'm going to order one from someplace. Or when Sandy and I and whomever else goes on a road trip to Tallahassee nurseries see if I can't bring one back with me.

Darla

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 8, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7439839

Good idea.

As for me, I have never had good luck with mail-order trees. You keep them longer than you would a puppy, and you wouldn't think of ordering one of them by mail.

Be well -- and warm.

(o_O)
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 10, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7449259

I went out to check on my carambola and was amazed to find it in excellent shape with nary a leaf dropped from the cold. Just a whole lot of fruit on the ground. One more night of this cold misery and we should be out of it but somehow last year's freeze did much more damage to my plants. Strange how this works with the multiple nights at freezing temps. Last year it all happened in one night and the damage was devestating.
Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump

4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7466667

Jeremy, is your Star Fruit still ok?
I think I'd like to add one to my garden.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7467174

Hi, 4paws. The leaves on my Starfruit sapling are now all dried up from freeze damage and have fallen off. It looks kind of "iffy" whether the tree will rebound. I perform a scratch test on woody stemmed plants to determine if they are still alive by gently scraping off a tiny bit of the outer bark with a fingernail. If there is bright green moist and fresh cambium tissue showing under the bark, it generally means that portion of the tree/shrub is still living. If there is a discolored brownish-green, brown, or (worst of all) hard dried wood where I scratch the bark, then that portion of the tree/shrub is probably dying or already dead. My Starfruit tree is showing brownish-green cambium where I scratch it, so I am not sure it will survive. Another test is to prune through a twig or small limb to examine the inner tissue. I'm also not seeing obvious signs of life by any green or fresh moist tissue, but it may just be that the Starfruit has a more woody texture than I am expecting.

If the tree/shrub has bark too thick to scrape with a fingernail, you can use a knife or the cutting edge of pruning shears to gently nick or scrape off a small spot in the bark to check the tissue beneath. If the bark is mushy and slips off easily in your fingers (as currently exists on my Mexican Sunflower Tithonia diversifolia), then that part of the tree/shrub probably won't survive.

The scratch test is useful now to determine what portion of your trees/shrubs have survived the freezes. It is also useful in springtime to know where to prune off dead wood. I usually prune just below the line where healthy green or moist tissue first appears when performing the scratch test, working from the top limbs down toward the trunk and root crown. But a tree or shrub will also tell you where it wants to be cut by displaying the line on the trunk/limbs where new leaves appear and above which no new leaves are appearing. I prune with sterilized pruners (wiped down with rubbing alcohol) about an inch below the line where the new leaves end. That helps ensure that any viral, bacterial or fungal infections have been pruned off and will not spread down through the trunk to the roots and kill the plant. When you prune, take a look at the center of the branch/limb to make sure it looks healthy. If there is any black or brown discoloration in the central core (xylem tissue), then I cut further down on the branch/limb using sterilized pruners until I find a healthy white or greenish white central core.

If you can't find any green tissue showing beneath the bark at any point on the trunk/limbs, and your tree/shrub does not show any new leaves when warm weather consistently returns, do not give up on it entirely because it may regenerate from the root crown and send up new shoots. This process may take several months before any new growth appears. If the plant happens to be a grafted plant (like most citrus and roses), then the shoots that come up may be from the root stock and not from the more desirable plant that was grafted onto the root stock. My 'fwang tung' cultivar Starfruit tree appears to have been grafted onto a more hardy root stock. There is a definite line of difference between the bark above and below what appears to be the graft just above the soil line and the characteristic slight swelling around the point where the graft was made.

Jeremy

This message was edited Jan 17, 2010 9:11 AM
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7469333

Thanks very much, Jeremy, for the detailed information. I was at Lowe's yesterday, loading up on discounted plants and "making deals" when the manager did that scratch test on a camellia before marking it down, and that's the next thing I needed to research, as I'd never seen it before.

THANKS!

(She's culling camellias on Monday...I'll be there!)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7469608

Always glad to share info, 4paws. I'm glad my dissertation on "scratch test" was so timely for you!

I had wondered if it was an accurate method as I had sort of stumbled upon it on my own, but then I saw our county Extension Office Arborist use the scratch test to determine the health of a Drake Elm at the zoo when I worked there, so it felt a little less like voodoo magic to go around scratching on tree and shrub trunks. LOL

Best wishes for a bargain haul of camellias!

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 17, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7469809

Botany 101.

There are trees and there are palms.

The living part of a tree (and of shrubs) is in the cambium layer.

With palms, the living part is in the core -- or heart.

There are no palm trees..

It is accurate -- trust me.

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 2, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8013155

Wonder of wonders.

My carambola just started to evidence blossoms. Strange year.

Does anyone else have the same thing happening?

Be well

(o_O)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #8013199

Alas, my Carambola bargain find, planted last fall, succumbed to the extreme winter freezes. I never got a chance to cover the garden plot where it is planted with a plastic tent, as I had done for that area in winters past. It is now officially, as in the Monty Python skit determination, a dead parrot. (But I haven't pulled up the dead, brown hard stem yet, just in case it wants to arise from the dead at the root crown.)

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 2, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #8013297

Jeremy -- if you are below the graft you'll never know what you'll be raising.

Be well

(o_O)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #8019964

So far nothing on my carambola, although it did survive the freeze. It looks a little yellow right now, so probably will give it a shot of epsom salt.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 5, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8020189

I just got a spurt of blossoms -- then they stopped.

Weird !!!

Be well

(o_O)
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8020203

My carambola is growing like mad after I culled all the dead branches out. I also topped the tree as I couldn't get up that high any more. All that growth seems to require some fertilizer as these leaves show.

Thumbnail by fredrump

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8020208

No blossoms here yet but here the tree/bush

Thumbnail by fredrump

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #8020496

Fred,
That's what my leaves look like too, so thought I'd start with epsom salts before fertilizer(?) What mix ?-?-? are you going to use. I don't want to throw off the bloom time with the incorrect numbers.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 5, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #8020727

fred~

That is one healthy "bush." Did it ever look like a tree?

Be well

(o_O)
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #8020743

I think most of my plants have a magnesium deficiency. All we have here is sand. I've been very lazy, disgusted, depressed since last winter's freeze and haven't done very much in the garden. I sort of got into the attitude of letting live what can and die what must but I'll probably pay in lack of fruit on my various citrus come this winter.

I have a 50 lbs bag of epsom salt available and need to just get out there and throw a few handfuls or pounds around the place. I don't think you have to be too careful with magnesium as the plants will probably only take what they can use. I promise to do that as soon as it stops raining. :-)

Fred

PS my lycee looks the same way - too yellow.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #8020750

Yeah, the bush was a tree but when you lop off the top it becomes a bush. :-) It really grows too much too fast up at the top. It gets good watering and I think it really likes water.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 5, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #8020762

No. I mean -- trim the trunk.

(And, if you don't mind, blow some of that rain up our way. We get afternoon showers -- but they are spotty.)

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 9, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8029506

My tree looks great.

But where is the fruit?

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 11, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #8092854

I began to give up hope -- but, finally.

There must be a zillion blossoms -- and the flying pollenators are busy.

This is a photo of the center.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 11, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #8092859

And here are two of the first fruit.

(Center of the photo -- one eighth of the way up from the bottom.)

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #8094293

Well, patience has its rewards, I suppose. I didn't pull up my dead looking Carambola and now after about 9 months of the dead stem sitting idle, I am now getting some new growth from the root crown of my Carambola. I think the growth is coming from below the graft, so who knows what sort of plant I will have, but at least it didn't totally croak in the freezes.

Jeremy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 12, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8094306

Hey, Jeremy:

Hope springs eternal.

Be well

(o_O)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #8095500

WOW, better late than never! :)
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 12, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8095564

I have a few flowers too but mostly just lots of green growth. The thing is humongues.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 10, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #8205087

It's racing to yum-yum time.

The tree is loaded. It's a good year

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 10, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #8205094

Some of the baby fruits are dropping off -- but the ripe ones are six inches + long.

Can't wait another week or so before we start eating -- and giving away.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #8213796

Mine just started blooming last week!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 16, 2010
11:19 AM

Post #8215027

Wow. You'll be eating them into 2011.

Be well

(o_O)
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #8216495

Here is my little Carambola tree. It is potted, 3 yrs old and about 4 feet high. 1st year it has fruited. It has a nice little bunch of decent size fruits and dozens of tiny ones.

Thumbnail by tony9779

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 17, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8216707

It's beautiful.

Don't pick them until they are really yellow -- with, maybe, the ridges staring to brown. That is when they are most delicious.

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 3, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #8952706

Look what the wind blew down

Keep warm

(o_O)

P.S. The round ones are Mineola tangelos

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #8953485

I picked the last of mine today...covered the small tree with a blanket the best I could, but they're calling for 29 degrees for 6 hours...uhg... :(
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9041356

Happy to report that, though it was knocked back to the ground by the exceptionally cold winters of 2009/2010, my Starfruit tree is still alive! This past winter was so mild (high 20s F temperatures for two nights), the Starfruit tree did not show any frost/freeze damage. It remains only about 24 inches high and probably is a shoot off the root stock, so it might never produce good fruit, but it is nice to have to add to my list of "one of everything that can possibly grow here."

Jeremy
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9041824

Wow Jeremy! That's great news. I guess I won't give up on mine, just yet, because you're north of me. So far, I've seen no signs of life, but will continue to watch. Now I'm a little excited!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 14, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9042378

Jeremy:

Good luck. Hope springs eternal.

Just picked my last fruit. It's been a great year. Two plentiful crops.

Be well

(o_O)

P.S. The tiles are 4 1/2 inches

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9057269

Brad,
what do you do with these Carambola things? Can you just pick and eat like a green Greek fig (BTW, mine already has little bitty figs on it).

Paul

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 26, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9057422

Yes, but wait until they're bright yellow with streaks of brown along the spines.

As for the things you have the brebas. That is the first crop. I had a few, but now the real leaves are coming out.

Be well
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9058498

I slice them into "stars" and freeze them in ice rings with blueberries or cranberries (or both) and float it in my summer punches.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 28, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9060239

MerryMary:

That sounds fantastic.

When i got overwhelmed with fruit I dried them in the dehydrator. I now have two jars full of them and haven't yet tried them.

Has anyone had any experience with dried starfruit?

Be well

(o_O)
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
3:02 AM

Post #9222090

Here are some pics from this season so far...This plant is still in a container, about 5 years old. I have been too chicken to plant it in the ground yet because it "died to the ground" during a cold spell here a couple of years ago. Been picking them for a couple of weeks! Yum!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 2:34 PM

Thumbnail by tony9779   Thumbnail by tony9779   Thumbnail by tony9779
Click an image for an enlarged view.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 4, 2012

Post #9229731

You certainly are doing very well.

Mine are growing but not nearly as bountiful is yours.

It will still be a good year.

What is your variety

Be well

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 13, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9274107

It's another year. It is full of fruit and we have new blossoms, too.

Be well

(o_O))

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9274236

wow! can you all believe i'm too afraid to plant a starfruit! i am actually upset with myself for not planting one since i moved here 3 years ago. i absolutely love starfruit and would be proud to grow one in my yard. but i have never seen one in the local nurseries, so i'm guessing i have to go south and buy one there. one time WalMart had dwarf tropical fruit on sale and they were gone in an instant.
next on my list is a mango, how i would love to have one. my family in Orlando have had their mangoes, starfruit, sugar apple, lychee and custard apple for years. recent winters have killed the 'apples' but because the mangoes were very large, they regrew, for the most part.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 13, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9274453

This carambola is actually one of my best producers of edibles.

The other is the Carrie mango.

I also have an atemoya (like your sugar-apple, I think). It gives me a total of one fruit a year. Ugghhh.

Good luck

Be well

(o_0)
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9275753

It has been a great year for my little tree. It really proved to be a tasty experience. We were able to make starfruit fans of everyone that had some. These are tree ripened gems. It is about 6 ft high now and still in a container about 4 cu ft. Great garden tour conversation spot! The variety is Kajang

Thumbnail by tony9779

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 15, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9275817

It is a great fruit -- which we seem to ignore.

The problem lies in the fact tat the ones sold in stores are green -- and unripe,

Taking one off of the tree and biting into it -- mmmmm.

Be well

(o_))

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 18, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9488625

First blossoms.

And away we go!

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9488666

Lookin' good Fred! Here's my little trees this year! Looks like another great year!

Thumbnail by tony9779

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9488684

I used to have a carambola tree, but it was knocked down and destroyed in a bad storm. I miss that tree...it had the sweetest fruit on it!

So jealous flyboy!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 18, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9488712

I must brag that I took that photo with my handy-dandy iPhone 4s. I haven't used my camera since I got that little all-things-in-one gadget.

Be well

(o_O)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9488791

I really look forward to you posting this every year and keeping up with your fruit.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9488931

I've been thinking of Starfruit Flyboy. I have only been on DG since January and am happy to see this timely thread. It reminded me of it and am happy to hear Tony has had success in growing it in Ocala,...even colder then DeLand in Winter... Thank you for your informational thread!

David

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 18, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9488950

Good luck -- and be well

(o_O)
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9490753

ditto Gardenglory! i still haven't gotten a starfruit. but the mangoes in the area have set fruit! currently i'm taking care of my newly sprouted mango seed - i just wanted to grow one from seed, not necessarily for fruit that may not even happen!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 20, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9490845

Good luck with starting a fruit tree from seed.

Hi started with an avocado seed five years ago.

The tree is beautiful. But the only fruit to have set was last year and it immediately fell off.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9491128

thanks.

i agree with the beauty of the avocados.
actually all tropical fruits trees have beautiful aspects. i love the color of the starfruit blossoms

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 22, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9493281

just in case you haven't seen it:

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
3:26 AM

Post #9511449

Haven't seen too much pollination going on this season yet on the Carambola :(

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

May 7, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9511928

I got one tiny patch of blossoms -- then they disappeared. Maybe it is still too early.

I still have plenty of eager-beaver pollinators, busy on the limes and the mangos and kumquats.

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 19, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9664022

This must be the closest to "ever-bearing."

We have been eating them in salads and otherwise -- and providing them to our friends -- but there is another, more multitudinous, batch of blossoms

What a tree!

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9668885

So jealous Flyboy! Tha tree looks to be in great shape.

I had one that produced the best tasting fruit, but it was knocked over in a storm a few years ago.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 24, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9668937

That is a shame about your tree.

But look, mine grew this rapidly in just seven years -- and has produced every year.

People seem to ignore carambola. Maybe it is because the fruit looks so bad at the greengrocers. Yet they are so delicious when tree-ripened.

This tree will be producing right into the winter. I hope, I hope, I hope.

Be well

(o_O)

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9669028

Starfruit is sooo good and I loved grabbing them fresh off the tree when I had one. The one's in the grocery stores are picked too early and are over priced.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 24, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9669241

Right. There is nothing like tree-ripened fruit.

But i must have said that before...

Be well

(o_O)
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9669703

Great to see those fruit again Flyboy they look great!

We have had a disappointing year with our Carmbolas so far. In the Spring we has prolific flowering with next to no pollination. The second crop is quite delayed with one of our trees with dime sized fruit and the other tree just now flowering, albeit very heavily. Here is a pic of the fruits here a couple of weeks ago.

Take care!

Tony

Thumbnail by tony9779

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 26, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9670672

Hang in there. They look beautiful!

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

July 31, 2014
10:52 AM

Post #9907256

Another great year -- to be.

Thank goodness for the pollenators. They are working like mad. The tree is full of blossoms The little (and big) workers are in a mad dash to capture as much of the nectar as they can.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

July 31, 2014
10:54 AM

Post #9907257

And they begin to look like this:

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2014
9:15 AM

Post #9907941

I have a small one...maybe 5-6 feet tall that has not started to develop blooms yet. I am wondering if it might be too young still.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 1, 2014
9:30 AM

Post #9907955

You saw what mine looked like seven years ago.

Good luck.

Be well

(o_O)

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2014
2:09 PM

Post #9908132

I can't wait till mine does start producing...I love starfruit!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 2, 2014
9:20 AM

Post #9908606

When the blossoms arrive -- pray that the pollenators arrive with them.

Be well

(o_O)
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2014
11:08 AM

Post #9910098

Hello All!
Those Carambolas are tough to keep going sometimes. I have found that they will not tolerate any dry conditions at all for one thing. If they wilt, you can be sure to experience yellowing and leaf drop. Pollinators here in Ocala have been much better this year than last. Bumblebees love these blossoms. Here is a pic of ours from yesterday. They currently have a sparse crop, but are flowering real well right now too.

Take care

Tony

This message was edited Aug 4, 2014 1:24 PM

Thumbnail by tony9779

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 4, 2014
1:04 PM

Post #9910179

Tony:

See my bumblebee -- above July 31, 2014 at 12:52 PM.

I am also getting all-black ones. Can anyone explain the difference?

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 12, 2014
1:15 PM

Post #9938891

This year I am going to need hungry neighbors.

Loaded -- and still blossoming.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2014
12:25 PM

Post #9940796

Lookin good ! We had a good harvest from a small tree this year. Another flowering like crazy right now.

Take care~

Tony

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2014
11:19 AM

Post #9945497

No blooms even forming on mine yet. :-(

Shauna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America