Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu): Jeremy always a delight! "Happy Tree"

Communities > Forums > Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)Replies: 5, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 4, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #4157617

I looked up some garden bible info for you:) and this is what I found ...

Camptotheca acuminata
Xi shu, Happy Tree
Cornaceae (Dogwood family)
China, Tibet
I hope this helps you and good luck with the blue shrimp plant.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #4159377

Great article Jeremy. Always nice to learn about a plant or tree you've never heard of before.

Will take a bit, but when I get a chance wil hunt through my seed boxes for ya. Somewhere I have seeds of the Blue Shrimp your looking for. They grew great here, so should do good for you. Very easy to grow.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #4159625

Thanks, Chrissy100, for the photo of the flowers of C. acuminata. It unfortunately looks like the webpage link I provided in my article is no longer active.

Starlight -- glad to know the Blue Shrimp Plant will grow well in our humid south. Some seeds from the plant would be an extraordinary gift! I, too, have a refrigerator crisper drawer full of seeds that I seem to never find time to properly plant. If you find your seeds for C. major (don't you love the musical twist to the abbreviation of the botanical name of the Blue Shrimp Plant?!), I'll be happy to swap with some seeds I might have.

Jeremy
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 5, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #4161324

Jeremy, another fascinating article! Thank you for providing my "something new" learned early in the morning...now I relax for the rest of the day! Ha. Isn't it wonderful when folklore turns into scientific fact...so glad your Happy Tree research resulted in such wonderful information.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #4161575

Jeremy - I enjoyed your article very much...Congrats on yet another well-written and informative article!
Louise
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #4162064

Jeremy!
I relate well to always having one in the back of the mind you want, seems we like to set challenges for ourselves, lol. I have found that eventually the time comes to get what was wished for. It doesn't get better than that! Even still, there is always something else to shoot for to keep our hoe in hand.

Thanks for the amazing journey with the Si Shu.

debnes

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Camptotheca acuminata onsmith 1 Sep 28, 2009 10:49 PM
happy tree WELLSDRY 4 Oct 5, 2009 11:06 PM
happy tree lavender49 1 Sep 29, 2009 12:59 PM
Happy Tree EFGeorgia1 4 Oct 3, 2009 2:24 AM
Camptotheca acuminata gibson_girl 1 Sep 30, 2009 1:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America