-
AuthorContent
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #4158390

I put in some Karen azaleas this spring, and while I soaked the bushes before planting, one of them never did thrive and recently appeared to be dead. I pulled it up - easily, because it was totally rootbound - and was going to toss it, when I noticed that the wood was still green and alive.

So I've pruned it way back and soaked it and really loosened the rootball. However, it is now November in Zone 5b, and I don't know whether I should replant it in the garden, pot it and bring it inside to grow, or take the middle course and keep it in a cooler but protected place until spring.

luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2007
6:59 AM

Post #4162792

Pretend it is going to sit as unsold inventory at a nursery during the winter. Water it adequately and place it outside until the night temps approach the low 30s to force it to go dormant. Then bring it into a protected place until spring. Do not let the pot be in direct contact with the cold/frozen ground. Water again twice a month or less, depending whether the location is heated or not.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #4163463

Thanks, that's just what I need to know!

I guess I'm OK bringing it in now, as we've already had several days of frost.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America