willing to do census lookups.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

If you need a census lookup, I will be happy to do that for you. I have a subscription to Ancestry.com and can do lookups for any census 1930 or before.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ohhhhh! I feel like I just hit pay dirt! Thank you!

I'm researching the family history for a very old, expensive firearm/rifle and need lineage prior to 1889 for this family. I have the last 5 names of who received the rifle but need more in order to correctly identify the era in which it could have been manufactured and those last 1 or 2 family names. I also have names of spouses for this family. If you are willing to find 1, perhaps 2 generations before that, PLEASE Dmail me. I'd be so very grateful!!

Thanks in advance,

~Robin~

By the way, I do have one census report dated 1900 that helped me a lot.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2007 7:08 PM

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I heard that a lot of the census info was destroyed by fire..the ones for 1880, 1890 and 1900...(or maybe ten years later for all....1890-/1900/1910). I know I have having a lot of problems finding ancestors that SHOULD be in those census...but they are no where to be found..that is very frustrating.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Earthling, Rylaff was extremely helpful with my quest to research back that far. I was amazed. And yes, I believe it was the census info from 1890 and prior that was destroyed.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

The 1890 census was indeed the one that was destroyed. The 1880 census is missing alot of people, particularly in the south.If there is anything I can help look for, just let me know. Happy to help.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been having some success....I also have Ancestry access since I bought Family Tree...its still frustrating at times.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have had access to Ancestry for years now. Grandfathered in at a decent rate.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

My Mother bought a lot of photos and items belonging to a family by the name of Dubbe. She's loved looking up their lineage to see if she can get the belongings back to the rightful family.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

By the way, she's a member here: RootRotJo. lol

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

To me, it seems its a lot easier to go backwards than to come forwards unless you can find a referenced name by someone that has entered data on an ancester.....but I may just not be aware of the ins and outs of this yet since I am really a beginner.

Once you get involved with this geneology, you are (at the same time) fascinated and frustrated..and will spend literally hours at the computer...it really teaches you patience..LOL

Kris

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Kris, anyone considering genealogy should be warned that it is addictive, andrequires great patience. Sometimes an idle act leads to a breakthrough. Last week, idly reading genforum, I found a lead which led to finding my maternal gggrandmother's maiden name, and confirmation that gggrandfather's brother was indeed named David. Two generations of the family had searched for years for this information with no luck. NOW if Ican find the namesof David and Johnathan's parents, and when the brothers left Ireland-- then we start another quest!!!
Robert

San Ramon, CA

I'm trying to trace Bessie Crowe, my mother's birth mother. I was told Bessie was living in California in 1964, and there are a bunch of them. She was supposedly born in 1895 in SLC, Utah. (I've found a number of Bessie Crowes...one in Santa Cruz, and several others, but they all married.) This Bessie would have been single...never married, so the ones I've found are not the right one. Might there be voting records or census arount 1964 in Calif.?

Bessie gave my Mother up for adoption in SLC, Utah in Oct. 1914 when Mom was 8 mos. old.

Bessie was living and working in Bingham Canyon, in the mine, in Salt Lake County, Utah in 1912 -1914 Was there a census there at that time?
Any help you may be able to give will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
JanMary1

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

JanMary1, Rylaff is pretty darned good.

Best of luck to you,

Robin

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have a couple of thoughts here. Could her first name have actually been Margaret and she went by Bessie, since that is a nickname of Margaret and Elizabeth.. Do you have any idea when she died? I do find a Margaret Crow (census takers sometimes took liberties with spelling back then ) living in Salt Lake City in the 1910 census. She is 18 and living with her parents. Margarets parents were Alma H and Mary B. Alma was born in Utah and his parents were born in England. Mary B was born in Denmark. Alma was a harness maker. At this point, this might be your best bet. It looks like there was a huge clan of Crows in the Salt Lake City area around 1900-1910 that came from England.
The published census only go up to 1930 at this time. The 1940 census will be available in 2012.
Not sure when she moved to California but I do find a MIss Bessie G.Crow in the 1956 San Bernardino voter registration roll living at 1334 E St.
I also find a Bessie G. Crow who was born Dec. 31 1895 and died 11/7/1976 in San Bernardino listed in the Social Security Death Index. I am wondering if this is your girl since she is a Miss in 1956 and then dies in 1976. Wonder what the G stood for since they sometimes went by there middle name when giving formal information.
There is also a Bessie J Crowe on the California death index for 1974, listing her date of birth as 1892 but it says she was born in California. Of course, that info is only as good as the person who gave them that info.
There are quite a few Bessie Crow(e) in the voter restrestry rolls in California, but the most recent is around 1954.
That is about the best I can do at this point.

San Ramon, CA

Thank you for your kindness in searching! After much frustration with looking through a bazillion Bessie Crowe's, I went back to the birth certificate which seems to have been mostly truthful, whereas the adoption papers gave a bogus name...????? The birth certificate said the mother was Bessie Roberts, 19 and the father was John Troxell, 40. The adoption papers said at the time of the birth, she thought she would be able to keep the baby and give her a good home, but apparently the father wasn't of like mind. *(said they were married on the birth certificate but weren't) I did a search of Bingham Canyon, Utah and found that the postmaster was Charles Roberts, and his daughter was Ethel Elizabeth Roberts. All of the info on the birth cert. lines up with this gal, including her birthday. There was a young man 4 doors down the street a year older than her whose mother was named Josephine, the name she gave my mother 10 days after the birth. But there was also a mining engineer in town named Troxell, an older man. Bessie's mother had died by 1912 so may not have had good supervision. I found Ethel never married and died in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida in 1986. The ladies who told my dad after mom's death that her birth mother never married and was living in Ca. The Social Sec. death index said her card was issued in Ca. before 1951. So I believe we found her. Can't figure out why the Bessie Crowe name on the adoption papers....unless it was to protect the engineer. The legal firm who handled the adoption was from Bingham Canyon, a small tight knit mining town. I've been looking since 1981 and felt sick when I found she was still alive at the time. She was 91 when she died! We were told there was an estate she wanted my siblings and I to share....I guess that's the next thing, but have no idea how to pursue that!!!! Thank you again! I just made this discovery a week ago!
JanMary1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.