Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Wood duck boxes

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Some who hunt waterfowl may be interested in this page: http://www.ducks.org/Conservation/WaterfowlBiology/2716/WoodDuckBoxes.html

Moxee, WA(Zone 4a)

Dyson, Thanks for the information. I have an acquaintance and friend who builds boxes. He uses black PVC pipe about 12" diameter. He explained it like buried pipe in the shallow areas of pond or stream. The pipe has a over and a hole in the side to resemble a tree trunk. The nest portion had several rods used as a grid to support grass. He creates or assists the Wood Duck's habitat. I'm intending to do the same here on my place. We have several species of duck that drop in at our place on their way south for the winter. Last year we counted American Wigeon, Mallard, Wood Duck, GreenWinged Teal. I suspect there were Gadwall & Pintail on the stream as well but I did not specifically see those breeds. I seldom hunt but last year I and neighbors bagged a dozen ducks or so. They and Gambles Quail are all common in our valley and here on our small farm this time of year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.