Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Perennials: Winterize mums

Communities > Forums > Perennials
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 2, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
Florence, AL

November 7, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #4167548

What do I need to do with mums for the winter? Usually I don't try an save them, but I've got quite a few and hate to throw them away.
Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by stumpenursery
Click the image for an enlarged view.

(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #4229063

I'm way up in WI, so I take them in and put them under lights in my garage until the temp dips below freezing, and then I put them in the basement under lights until they can safely go back out in the garage. If yo are in AL, then you have alot more safe days. Mums can take the cold pretty well. How low does the temp get in Winter? They can take a few frosty days. Mine were outside for a few days when the temp was right around freezing.

Florence, AL

November 26, 2007
12:12 PM

Post #4230403

It's already been in the 20's, I wanted to plant in my garden for next year, but we have received so much rain that I can't get bed ready. Not sure if I can save them or not.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America