Photo by Melody

Article: Tropical Dreams - How To Grow Canna: Cannas in shade? Maybe so...

Communities > Forums > Article: Tropical Dreams - How To Grow Canna
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tropical Dreams - How To Grow CannaReplies: 9, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2007
4:56 PM

Post #4167872

Thanks for the informative article, Mitch. I take slight exception with the statement that cannas don't do well in shade. I've mixed cannas in with my ginger plants (mostly shaded location) and they do reasonably well there, blooming nicely, and growing to a good height. I also have some out by my front curb that are shaded by pine trees and nearby shrubs. It may be that in the South, where the sun is hot and bright, they can do O.K. in shade.

I would be interested in knowing if other southern gardeners provide some shade for their cannas.

Jeremy
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #4167962

Really? I am going to have to try that!
littlemick
Maryville, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #4168780

I do. The ones in full sun do get much taller and bloom better. We have also had the worst drought in recorded history here this year , complete with 2 months of water restrictions, and the Cannas were magnificent. I lost half or my garden, but the water loving Roses and Cannas came through. Go figure. An old fashioned Althea, with large white blooms, also did great and bloomed all summer with no water.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #4168923

I never ever water canna here - just have them at the bottom of a slope, they just do good.

Roses - once really there can take times with out water, just look at graveyards they always have a few roses here and there.
planolinda
Plano, TX

November 11, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #4181744

thanks for the new info--i have had canna for years-came with the house--but never pretty --now i think i know why--my soil is bad and they are not kept moist--i will treat them better and see what happens--
junkit66
Brunswick, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #4184996

Informative article Mitch. I also like Canna and have planted them in different areas around my property. I'm from OH and I've found that it's best to remove the rizones. I left them in the ground one year and with plenty of protection and they wound up rotting. It wasn't until I made a water theme in my backyard, planted the rizones in containers that were made for water Lilies, and take them in for the winter.
squirrelycat
Vicksburg, MS

November 12, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #4185346

The news about Cannas growing in shade is reassuring, since my mother-in-law just gave me about 3 plastic grocery bags full of rhizomes with their fading foliage!! our lot is very wooded and we have high shade. There are only a
few spots that get some sun, but they aren't all in areas where we want plantings.
So, thanks! I'll put 'em in the ground and see what happens next year. I can
always relocate them...that's what I love about bulbs and rhizomes.

Vicksburg, Mississippi
chenson
Summerville, SC

November 27, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #4232766

I can assure you if you plant cannas in the shade they will not do well. I have them in full sun in a ditch full of water, I have them in lite shade on the side of the house with irrigation and they will do just fine in both locations. I have them in full sun with no water and they are stunted and look unkept. Water is the key. I never thought to apply compost to an established bed,good info.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #4234673

It may be our hot, humid summers in Florida that require a helping assist to the cannas by placing them in the shade. Plants that are rated for "full sun" for most zones do benefit by having a few hours of rest from our relentless hot sun. But I think you are correct, chenson, in saying that ample water is the key to good cannas. Since I grow most of my cannas alongside my ginger plants, they are kept wet most of the time.

Jeremy
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #4234799

Water is the big key - give them lots of water and room to grow and they will wow you each and every time...

I add a lot of compost to all my beds each year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tropical Dreams - How To Grow Canna Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Dream Mitch! Thank you! debnes_dfw_tx 19 Nov 20, 2007 1:06 AM
Cannas curlycreepers 4 Nov 12, 2007 11:23 PM
Great multipliers also Annepaola 0 Nov 12, 2007 1:59 PM
Newbee and Canna's Debbie2007 0 Nov 12, 2007 5:14 PM
tropical plants rose888 1 Nov 13, 2007 1:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America