Photo by Melody

Peppers: Why weren't my hot peppers hot?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 26, Views: 282
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Small_Stock
Fromberg, MT
(Zone 4b)

November 7, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #4169086

I grew Big Chili, Golden Pepperoncici and Mariachi peppers this past summer. Although all were very productive, none of them had any heat, not even a little "spiciness".

I used drip irrigation all summer, and side dressed with chicken manure while they were producing fruit. Did I do something wrong?
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

November 8, 2007
4:53 AM

Post #4170224

Sometimes too much nitrogen and water messes with hot peppers.
I've also had people say cool temps and the above can make some peppers bitter.
I've always been told that to get a pepper plant to produce hotter peppers let it go dry to the point of almost wilting before watering it.
I go by my water meter,I keep mine on the dry side if I can.But I grow mine in 15 gal. containers.

I've also found that a lot of different kinds of peppers are sold as pepperoncini.
Some can be quite hot while others are sweet.
I've seen what I think were really a banana pepper or wax pepper sold as some kind of pepperoncini too.

Maybe the Mariachis had stage fright.

Mariachis are supposed to be mild-not sweet though.
Could be you treated your peppers too good-too much water and fertilizer.

Mariachis I think are a hybrid so you can't use it's seeds next year to try growing them differently because the seeds you get from the peppers won't be true to the original plant,they could be sterile too.
but you might get a different pepper thats more like what you are looking for.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2007
9:11 AM

Post #4170511

i belive i read somewhere that the hotter the temperature is when the fruit forms determines the heat of the pepper.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #4179100

I haven't quite figured out the timing of it, but I think getting a lot of rain at some point in the development of the pepper can make it turn out very mild. I think there must be a timing issue, because I've had hot peppers even in "wet" summers. Last year, we got a lot of rain toward the end of summer... and it seemed to just wash the heat right out of my hot peppers. I know it wasn't the plant or the fertilizer (I use a time release fertilizer and compost when I plant, and that's about it), because I got a few early peppers from the same plants that were nice and hot.

This year, we grew a lot of habs... and nothing was going to make them turn out mild, LOL!
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4180539

Small_Stock, none of the peppers you grew are truly "hot". The hottest of the lot, the Mariachi pepper is mild to moderately hot. The other two are sweet or mild peppers. One of these links says that stress makes the peppers hotter. As critterologist states, there are some peppers that will never be mild. There are some that will never be hot, too.

https://henryfields.com/product.asp?pn=66269
http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=8252
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Whats/Amerslct/mariachi.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

November 28, 2007
10:21 AM

Post #4238122

I have had the same problem since moving to Palmerston North 3 years ago: My peppers wont get hot enough, only the Habaneros do! I came from the warm dry far north of NZ, while Palmy has a much colder, wetter, windier climate.

I have been growing Cayenne, Hungarian Wax, Mulato, Wildfire, Red Habanero and Bell. Lots of fruit on big bushy plants, just no heat. Some of the seeds I brought with me from the north, so I know how hot they can be!
Hmmm... So it might be the cold...

This year Im growing more of the very hot varieties, like habaneros, tabasco, thai super, as well as some old favourites like cayenne and wax. Spring has been lovely, and sumer looks to be a hot one! Heres hoping..
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #4289220

None of the peppers I've grown here in W. WA have *ever* been very hot. I can eat a jalapeno right off the plant, seeds and all without blinking. They're as mild as the mild ones-and I don't grow the mild ones. Thai hot?-nope, not so much. (I've never tried growing habanero, though-DH says their flavor reminds him of carrots (except for the heat) and he doesn't like carrots...) I always attributed it to the fact that we just don't get sustained high heat and sunshine. This summer was pretty dry but cool, and they were even milder than last year when we did have a lot (for PNW) of hot days. Same plants, in fact.

So, anyone have any ideas how to make them hotter?
LostIndian
Algonac, MI

December 16, 2007
8:08 AM

Post #4299777

Small_Stock...it takes [heat] to make a pepper [hot]. You may have too short of a hot growing season (about 90 days) in the mid 80s to low 90s F. You may also want to use a habanero type pepper if you want HOT or shop for a jalapenro which may suit your taste needs.
Me? I prefer VERY HOT peppers in the above 10,000 SHU range. This coming season (May-Aug) here in Michigan where it is too cold until late May to transplant seedlings outdoors, I will try Bhut Jolokia from India which is the world record hot pepper (1,300,000+ SKU range). I may have to use an additional heat source later in the season to have product of any size or quality even though the peppers aren't really large to begin with.I will be happy to keep you informed.

Susybell...jalapenos come in various heat ranges and you may want to shop for the hotter peppers to plant. You, too, may want to invest in a habanero type pepper for a hotter product.

LenaBeanNZ...cooler temps have an unwanted effect on hot peppers, as well as, too much wind and or water (rain). You may need to build a clear plastic shield around your plants for days of such weather in a row. You should also "feed" your plants according to research through the Internet's universitities Ag depts.

Hopefully this helps each of you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2007
3:25 AM

Post #4302646

Has anybody in cooler regions tried growing peppers in those Wall-O-Water shelters? I use them early in the season on a few tomato plants to jump start them for early production. The water in the walls acts as a heat sink, absorbing extra heat from the sun during the day and slowly releasing it at night. I'm sure the plants would soon grow up out of the top of the WOWs, but even so the extra heat around the bottom part of the plant might be helpful. What do you think? Worth a try?
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2007
9:09 AM

Post #4303186

lostindian - i to have the seeds for bhut jolokia. just wanted to try them to see how they would grow up here in new york.
LostIndian
Algonac, MI

December 17, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #4304063

GREAT, HERBIE43!
I would like to compare notes later on. I'm sure we can pursuade those firebrands to grow. Of course I am getting plants to set out since I don't have seeds, otherwise; I, too, would be building a small box to stimulate hot weather for those peppers.
Where did you get your pepper seeds? I want to get some to try my luck. I'm on the border of Z5 and 4.
THANKS!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2007
10:26 AM

Post #4306337

ou can either order them at www.chilepepperinstitute.org or call them at 505-646-3028. theycost two dollars per package and ech package has about 15 or so seeds. i have a few left if you would like me to send you some. just d-mail me your anme and address and i'll get them right off to you.

frank

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2007
12:48 PM

Post #4306479

the hotter and dryer the summer, the hotter the peppers. my tabascos and carribean reds were to hot to eat this year, but sure made good pepper sauce. i will look to see what seeds i have left to send you herbie
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2008
5:00 AM

Post #4689663

Too much water ... hmmmm. Has anybody ever gotten unexpectedly mild peppers from one of those AeroGardens? They're strictly hydroponic.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #4691508

I've heard of the too much water thing before.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2008
11:28 AM

Post #4694253

heres some pictures of my bhut jolokia and big bomb hot peppers that i started on feb 22nd. i hope i get these right.
the first shot on the left are my bhut jolokia peppers and the second shot are some of my big bombs

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #4694254

i think this next one the bhut peppers are on the left.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2008
11:31 AM

Post #4694258

sorry but i might hve mixed these pictures up. just came bag from a 6 day stay in hospital but tomorrow i am going to repot them so i will take better pictures.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #4694841

herbie, i hope your doing ok?
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2008
10:23 AM

Post #4698060

yeahj, i'm back to normal. LOL

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2008
11:46 AM

Post #4698109

i'm glad to here that. i have peter pepper seeds if you would like some?
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #4698218

thanks but i have limited space on my deck.
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 25, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #4706405

Well its autumn now, my pepper plants are/ have bean producing extremely well this season. They are laden with ripening fruit, and some still flowering. This year, for the first time since moving to this part of the country, MY PEPPERS ARE HOT! Not all as hot as Id like, but a huge improvement on the last few years. This summer has been a record breaking hot and dry one. And I went away on holiday for 6 weeks in mid summer, so my peppers had to fend for themselves alot, no keen gardener trying to feed and water them.
I have never had peppers turning red on the bush before, I always had to use them green. This year Ive made a few batches of RED chilli sauce! Im stoked.

The only peppers that didnt grow are the Bhut jolokia kindly sent to me by HERBIE43. They are still only 2cm tall, new hatchlings, theyt havent changed in months! I just cant explain it :-(
After germinating, I planted them into a store bought potting mix, which I sterilised in the microwave first. I think I will repot them soon with some fresh soil of a different brand.

Get well soon Herbie!

Lena

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2008
10:39 AM

Post #4706652

lena - glad you are enjoying your hot pepperts and sorry about the bhut jolokia not growing well. below are pictures of my hot pepprs which i repotted the othe day.
the picture shows my big bomb cherry peppers on the left and the bhut jolokias on the right.

i am feeling great now and my wife and i are leaving this morning for new jersey to get an early start to my sons wedding on friday march 28th. we are so excited.

heres the picture

Thumbnail by HERBIE43

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2008
10:41 AM

Post #4706654

i planted about 8 of the bhut jolokia's but only two germnated. the instructiosn called for the soil to be between 85 to 90 degrees i thing or maybe 80 to 85 degrees but without a heat mat i don't think i achieved those temps. oh well, just wanted to see what they would be like so two plants are good enough for me.

send some pictures when you can.
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 26, 2008
7:23 AM

Post #4710718

I repotted the two bhut jolokia today, into a compost mix. I hope they grow soon! Here is a picture of the bigger small one. I hope its visible :-s

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #4712309

Latecomer on this thread, but the hottest peppers I ever had, I grew in a container, and they were tortured. Didn't get regularly watered. The plant wilted some between waterings. Lord did I get a lot of peppers, and HOT ones.

So I'd consider trying one in a container. Also black plastic mulch and maybe paint the pot itself black if you are not getting sufficient heat.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America