Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Gifts from and for Gardeners: How to Make a Discharge Printed Vest: Discharge Print Vest

Communities > Forums > Article: Gifts from and for Gardeners: How to Make a Discharge Printed Vest
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gifts from and for Gardeners: How to Make a Discharge Printed VestReplies: 17, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2007
8:02 AM

Post #4174411

Neat idea!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2007
12:12 PM

Post #4174658

The crafter in me has wheels turning!! Placemats, aprons, totes, purses...etc. Thanks for the step by step!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #4175132

Beautiful denim totes for Christmas this year, woohoo! Thank you for the instructions, you have solved my gift giving for this year.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #4175285

What an awesome idea, Melody! The instructions in the article were well written ... enough for even me to understand! And the photos are perfect because I am a "visual" person! :-) Thank you for giving me a neat idea for Christmas presents this year!!! :-)

Sheila - Good idea about doing this with placemats and aprons! Love it!!!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #4175334

Practice on something that you don't care to trash the first time out. It's an acquired skill, and there's a small learning curve. Still plenty easy for the average Girl Scout Troop, but you might want to understand the process by doing a test piece before the 'real' gifts.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #4175363

I was looking around the yard to see what is still decent for use (heavy frost). I have holly bushes, should I flatten the leaves before spraying? Will dried flowers work? How about wood letters to spell a name or a saying? My brain is spinning!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #4175409

All will work. The items don't have to be totally flat, you'll figure it out as you go along, but as long as they leave a silhouette, they'll work. Get a 'test piece' of fabric and do a bit to see if you're getting the desired effect.

Lightweight cardboard cut-outs are nice. (animal shapes for kids)

Ferns are wonderful. Done quite a few fern items that turned out great.

Silk flowers, dried flowers, plastic kid's toys ,silverware (chef's apron)

Anything that won't dissolve when wet, or bleach won't hurt.

edited to say that fall leaves are great too. Even if they are dry. Visualize maple and oak leaves discharged. also interesting twigs and branches, grasses, your begonia leaves, and philodendron vines...

This message was edited Nov 9, 2007 10:15 AM
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #4175427

now this is really cool.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #4175592

No kidding! Looks like the sky is the limit!!! Thanks for introducing all of us to such a neat craft idea, Melody! :-) :-)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2007
5:16 PM

Post #4175635

OMG, I have a sack of flat plastic animal buttons that I just KNEW I would use some day. All I have to do is find them, lol.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #4175923

Now I know what I can do to redeem some shirts I have that have bleach marks and other stains that make them unfit to wear in public. Thanks!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #4175975

I always use Clorox brand bleach. I had some disappointing results with a 'store brand' once and have since stayed with the real deal.

The el cheapos are not as strong, thus, you don't get a good print all the time.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #4177129

Melody, my daughter wants you to make her a vest, too. x, Carrie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #4177777

Great article, Mel...good job!
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
7:24 AM

Post #4177947

Zowweeee, I love that vest!!, I have got to get a piece of scrap and test! I have everything just sitting around the house. Thank you, Melody! Fantastic!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #4178438

Thanks ya'll! Glad this was such a hit. Just be careful about where you do this, and what you wear.

Famous last words..."Oh, I'll be VERY careful" If you have to be very careful about splashing bleach, then you WILL splash it. Make sure that you have a good place to do this, and curious cats are excluded from the festivities. You know how they love to get between you and whatever you are doing.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #4178862

The bathtub in my birthday suit is looking like the spot for me! LOL!
planolinda
Plano, TX

November 11, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #4181721

cloth napkins for thanksgiving!--table runner--thanks so much for the great idea--i love working with cloth for some reason--this should be fun

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gifts from and for Gardeners: How to Make a Discharge Printed Vest Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love it! roadrunner 5 Dec 11, 2009 1:03 PM
Thank you Melody UniQueTreasures 4 Nov 11, 2007 3:36 PM
Awesome vest & great instructions! momof2d 9 Dec 17, 2009 4:57 AM
An interesting craft! Thanks. Annepaola 1 Nov 12, 2007 2:22 PM
discharge print it is. slowtornado 0 Nov 13, 2007 2:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America