Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garden Resolutions: Next Year I Shall...: Thanks, I can relate!

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Resolutions: Next Year I Shall...
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Resolutions: Next Year I Shall...Replies: 10, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2007
11:41 AM

Post #4178084

LOL, great article. Sure does hit home. I bought the 1,000 bulbs for my brick clay yard. LOL Maybe I should start with a realistic and achievable list for next year too.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #4179126

Too too funny Lori~~ (& lol Deborah:-)
Another hilarious article. I do believe you ended with some attainable goals..I gave some seeds for Forget-me-nots to my SIL in Hebron, NE and they came up great, and bloomed all Summer. Do plant those Zinnias, they are best when direct sown anyhow. I gotta see those! lol. I am going to give her some Candletree seeds for next spring, and let her experiment with them there. She will probably start them indoors in Feb or Mar.
She used to live here in FW, and her yard was always a spectacle in late summer lined with huge Candletrees (Cassia alata) spaced well, and planted orchard style. I can't wait to see how that works out in NE.
Even more I will follow your adventures to see how to get a neighbors grandson to help in the garden...
I only deadhead at the beginning of the season, bc later on I like to collect seeds and share the plants I have enjoyed with gardener folks I love.
I don't know what would happen if I were stung by a bee.. Never happened to me before. I am fairly careful, and only had one sting my whole life from a paper wasp, (while dead-heading the Moonvine..:-). You're smart for avoiding the bees, but after the bees have gone you might have lots of seeds you can collect.

I loved the article~
Not a cheater either~tee hee!
debnes
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #4179624

Oh yeah, this one I could relate to ;)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #4180639

I can relate to that seeds thing. I've told myself that I will not buy any more seeds until I use up what I've got. Most of the time, I actually obey that. It helps that I have run out of space. Oh, yeah, and getting vegetables in earlier. I need improvement there, too. I could put in tomato plants in March, but if I get them in before Memorial Day, I'm doing well.
rosemarylove
Barnhart, MO

November 12, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #4185180

Lori,
You are so funny! Enjoyed reading your post. I'm 25 min south of st louis. I've been planting & transplanting shrubs, iris, lilies, basically trying to do 2 months gardening in 3 weeks. It's been so beautiful here the last 3 weeks and now we are supposed to get some rain after being over 6 inches short. I did buy some hollyhock seeds online that were described as almost black/maroon. I also have been gulty of buying seeds that are like vintage treasures when I run across their little packets begging to be let out in the sunlight. Ha! Thanks for the fun. Rosemary
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #4185254

Wish I knew rosemarylove~
I have some Black Hollyhock seeds too from this year. They are (Alcea rosa).. I also have some French Hollyhock (Malva sylvestris) if anyone sends a SASE. My addy is in "Extras". Just include a note for what you want.

debnes
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

December 29, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8947113

OHHH tooo funny;
I was surprised the first time I found out they had watermelon plants, and squash plants --- they have cucumber plants too???
I am with you; they are cheats!

You can't quit your job, because it takes money to go to those plant sells, and to hire the grandson's to water. You are stuck, girl!

dirt_digger
Longwood, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #8951126

Enjoyed the article. My resolution for this year -- be better about labeling what seeds I planted where. I have plants come up that turn into something beautiful, but I either don't remember what it is until it blossoms, or even after it blossoms I don't know what it is! It is a wonder I didn't mistake the seedling for a weed!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 2, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8951377

Nothing worse than weeding by hand for weeks around a darn weed when you could have taken a hoe and got rid of them all in a matter of minutes. Now that you are stuck with the weed and know it --- you find out why it is called a weed! Roots that hold on deep and strong that you can not pull out, and such a strong constitution that you break them off - it is a favor to them - for they sprout not just one or two but many more branches and soon it will take a chain saw to get get of it.
joraines
Inman, SC

December 31, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9371124

This article is hilarious and so true. And yes, we have clay soil and I tried to plant daffodil bulbs with one of those nifty little bulb planters and nearly broke it. Finally gave up (my Dad had ordered me 100 daffodil bulbs!) and used my shovel!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 1, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9372795

And they are only six whole inches -- no wait that is tulips
Daffodils are 8 inches deep.

That is a lot of holes and those are deep holes too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Resolutions: Next Year I Shall... Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Don't need no stinking list! golfish 1 Dec 29, 2011 10:15 AM
love the idea BUT ...... CTKNY 0 Dec 31, 2012 5:09 AM
#5, Totally! legallyheidi 0 Dec 31, 2012 8:43 AM
Start Planning Oberon46 0 Dec 31, 2012 7:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America