-
AuthorContent
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
5:14 PM

Post #4179033

One of my potted outside Pansy plant has wilted and lying down in the soil. Do just cut down to just above the soil and leave it all winter? Would it bloom again in Spring? It's a large white pansy. Should I bring the pot out of the weather even though they like the cool?

Thanks in advance :)

Cissy
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #4179191

Whatever's wrong with it, it's definitely nothing to do with cold temperatures, it's not that cold here and pansies love cool weather and are hardy to lots colder temperatures than what we've been having. It could be overwatering, underwatering, or someone (person, pet, raccoon, etc) stepped on it or bumped up against it or something and broke the stem. If it's over or under watering, you need to correct that or else the plant will die. If it's a broken stem, chances are it'll grow back, I'd just remove the broken part and see what happens.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
7:47 PM

Post #4179423

Thank you ecrane :) I know they love cool weather, so I think I may have overwatered it. I think I will remove down to just above the soil just to see what happens. :)

Thanks again :)
Cissy
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 11, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #4180079

If there is any foliage at all on the plant, try to leave some if it is a bit healthy, even just the smallest shoot will help the plant to recover as just a bit of root UNDER the soil will be asking rather a lot from your pansy, as you say, they are real hardy plants if treated right, so before you cut the lot of, snip a bit at a time to See if there is a little healthy bit lurking under the waisted growth, if it shoots again, maybe give a very weak diluted liquid feed to encourage new growth,
Good luck. Weenel.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #4180537

Thanks, WeeNel, good advice :)

Cissy
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #4181861

Many bedding plants like pansies and violas are prone to suddenly wilting as you describe, and often it is caused by a waterborne fungus which invades the plants roots and tissues preventing water from taking in water. It could either be Phytopthora or Verticillium wilt. Poor soil drainage is often the cause.

If it doesn't recover, throw away the plant AND the soil. The fungus/spores will most likely remain in that same old soil, so using it again will just infect any new plants you put in it. You should also clean the pot itself with a bleach solution to be safe.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #4181984

Good advice Jasper and thanks. This just might be what happened. I thought maybe I was over-watering, but now I don't think so. The plant was just so wilted, I pulled it out of the pot. I still have the soil, but now I am going to dump it.

Thank you!
Cissy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America