AuthorContent
Indigo_gal
Halifax
Canada

November 10, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #4179130

Hi,
I'm collecting recipes for local seasonal foods, and would like to store them in some way that is easily accessable, kind of like a cookbook. I'm not interested in selling or publishing it, just organizing it. Is there computer software that stores recipes and indexes them? I can continue to put them in Word perfect, but if there is a program that would do a bit more organizing it would be helpful. All the websites with advice on "writing a cookbook " have information on finding and collecting recipes and pitching them to publishers, but they never mention this. It seems like something it would be so easy to do with a computer, as it is just data storage and manipulation. Any ideas (i will post this on the computer site too)
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #4179185

links provided are result of research online - http://www.accuchef.com/ , http://www.topshareware.com/Cook'n-Recipe-Organizer-download-35987.htm , http://www.mealmaster.com/

i am not promoting or have use any of the above links... i am merely extending a helping hand.

personally i have bookmark or favorite on my computer that is categorized, alphabetize and divided into folders and sub folders that works for me... the reason why it is easy for me to help others on their research.

here is the result of google search, done a few minutes ago, after i saw ur post http://www.google.com/search?q=software to organize recipes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

i hope this help. do take a look on the google result, maybe u will find something that suits ur style. good luck. do let us know what worked for ur needs.

good luck,
ma vie
Indigo_gal
Halifax
Canada

November 10, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #4179710

Thanks for the links. Don't know why i didn't think of googling it. I think I'll download a demo and try one out.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #4179906

PLEASE keep us posted with your progress. I asked quite a similar thing in another thread and didn't really get an answer I was hoping for.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4183053

I had posted elsewhere that I am currently using Mastercook. The bothersome thing about any recipe program is the future upgrades. I've used one of the earlier ones, only to have it not continue to upgrade, and other programs would not read the recipes I had so tediously put in to it. I too will be glad to see the comments and comparisons.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #4192861

Edens -- do you mean you couldn't upgrade from one version of Mastercook to the next? I've used it for years for Holiday recipes, and I've been reasonably satisfied -- enough so that I don' t look for a different brand, but not enough to be jumping up and down with delight. I don't remember having a problem upgrading.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #4195107

No problems at this time upgrading, but always willing to look at other programs. Is anyone using Mastercook with Vista?
If so are there any glitches? Ive got Mastercook 9, but still using XP on our computers.
frans530
Rankin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2007
12:32 PM

Post #4195132

I'll pop in here and add, I have been using AccuChef for years. I love the ease of it, they have plenty of recipe books (I call them chapters) to download and the ease of making your own book and the printing is wonderful. You can pick a bunch of recipes, ie make a dinner list for a week or two and hit the grocery shop list and it will print out a grocery list for you. You can even imput a diagram of your favorite grocery store and the list will print in a "shop-able" order.

For Christmas a few years ago, I printed out a book of our family recipes and had it bound at FedX for $3. and gave it to my daughter. She was thrilled to finaly know what went into some of her favorites... and even offered to sell one of the recipes to a family friend who has been bugging us for years for a particular one. lol
Fran

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #4225234

I use "Measuring Cup" for Macintosh. Sweet and simple.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America