Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Eq's lust list of recipes wanted

Sort of continued from here-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/787799/

Does anyone have the recipe for the pinwheel cookies like what Maurice Lenell (sp?)sells? I have a recipe for pinwheel cookies but it doesn't quite taste the same.

And what about a recipe for basic old animal cracker cookies? I have an old antique mold just for making animal crackers. Would love to try it out someday.

There was a recipe my grandmother made and she called it thumbprint cookies. She used to put a dab of home made jelly or jam in the middle and I think it had some sort of nuts in the recipe. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Now I’m going to go back through notes and try to round up the names of recipes I’ve been meaning to find.

North Augusta, ON

When my Mom made the thumbprint cookies, she just used a basic sugar cookie recipe---there is also this one that is tasty
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jam-Thumbprints/Detail.aspx

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Sneaking this one in. Very unique cookie recipes on this page:

http://www.bakingdelights.com/2007/08/27/the-50-best-cookie-recipes-on-the-internet/

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Trying something here, hope it works:

Click on image to see recipe for
CHOCOLATE PINWHEELS

This message was edited Nov 10, 2007 6:34 PM

Thumbnail by WUVIE

Hey threegardeners, I think you hit that one on the head. I looked at that recipe and it's got walnuts in it. That's what I remembered. Thank you.

Hey Big W, That worked! What did you do, take a photo of your recipe book? Way to go!

Hmmm, I feel like a kid in a candy shop since I started this thread.

Would love to find these recipes-
-canned venison
-rosehip jelly (with instructions)
-spanakopita
-eggplant parmesan (very thinly sliced and could have been dipped in an egg batter of some sort before it was layered into the baking dish)
-Linguini with white clam sauce
-shrimp in lobster sauce (typical Chinese food style)
-crabmeat rangoon
-shrimp toast
-some sort of Asian devilled crab with cream cheese seved on a fan shell
-egg drop soup

Still looking for more but must make pit stop at Big W's last website!

Moving this over here-

Quoting:
[QUOTE]And what about a recipe for basic old animal cracker cookies? I have an old antique mold just for making animal crackers. Would love to try it out someday.

Found a recipe, but thought it was odd to have included oats.

Not sure how old the recipe is, but it is printed, not copied,
so it has not been altered:

1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups sifted, all-purpose flour
1 cup Quaker or Mother's oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

Beat butter until creamy, beat in sugar gradually. Blend in egg,
almond extract and salt. Gradually add flour, mix thoroughly. Stir
in oats. Chill dough thoroughly.

Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/8" thick. Cut out with floured cutters.
Place on greased sheets, bake at 350° 8 to 10 minutes.

When cool, decorate as desired. [/quote]

And yes, the quaker oats does seem sort of strange. I don't recall tasting any oats in the animal cracker cookies from the the little red boxes with the string handle.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I've got the canned venision recipe.

Canned Venison

Cut meat into cubes and try to remove as much fat as possible. Chill the meat and pack loosely in jars, leaving 1" headspace. Add 1/2 tsp canning salt and 1 beef bullion cube to each jar.

Process in pressure canner:
Pints: 10# pressure for 75 minutes
Quarts 10# pressure for 90 minutes.

We really like it this way and the bullion takes away the wild taste.

I'll be watching to see if anyone has a recipe for shrimp toast. I LOVE shrimp toast, but haven't had much luck making it on my own.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Found a site with several mentioning this was the
best Spanakopita recipe they have ever found:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spanakopita-II/Reviews.aspx?Page=2

http://nookandpantry.blogspot.com/2007/06/green-tea-cheesecake-white-chocolate.html

What is matcha? I'm not going to go running to Viv any more. I have no idea what matcha is and no sense wasting time trying to figure out what it is if somebody already knows. I don't think I've even seen the word before.

oops, typing while you guys were typing. Thank you Joan, I'll save that. Off to pick a spanakopita recipe now!

North Augusta, ON

matcha
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matcha

Can you pulverize green tea and use that as a substitute?

North Augusta, ON

You'd think so----

That's what I'm thinking.

I typed out Big W's Chocolate Pinwheel cookie recipe for anyone else who needs it-

Chocolate Pinwheels

Ingredients

½ C butter
1 C sugar
1/3 C packed brown sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt

Filling
2 C (12 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips
2 Tblsp butter
¼ tsp vanilla
Pinch salt

Instructions

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine dry ingredients; beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half; place each half between two sheets of waxed paper. Roll into 12” x 10” rectangles. Chill until almost firm, about 30 minutes. In a saucepan over low heat, melt chips and butter. Add vanilla and salt; mix well. Spread over dough. Carefully roll up each rectangle into a tight jelly roll; wrap in waved paper. Chill for 2 hours or until firm. Cut into 1/9” slices with a sharp knife’ place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7 – 10 minutes or untillightly browned. Cool on wire racks.

Yield about 9 dozen.

Back to poking around at her site!

This spanakopita recipe but go to the site to get the helpful tips from those who made tried the recipe.

Spanakopita II

INGREDIENTS
•1/2 cup vegetable oil
•2 large onions, chopped
•2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach - thawed, drained and squeezed dry
•2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
•2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•2 (4 ounce) packages feta cheese, crumbled
•4 eggs, lightly beaten
•salt and pepper to taste
•1 1/2 (16 ounce) packages phyllo dough
•3/4 pound butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir onions until softened. Mix in spinach, dill and flour. Cook approximately 10 minutes, or until most of the moisture has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Mix in feta cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.
3.Lay phyllo dough flat and brush with butter. Place a small amount of spinach mixture onto each piece of dough. Fold phyllo into triangles around the mixture. Brush with butter.
4.Place filled phyllo dough triangles on a large baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown.

Some of the tips that I found helpful were-

Quoting:
I wanted to make larger triangles to have as a nice main course with a side salad. Took a little getting used to on rolling them up but let me give you my advice.....I took 4 to 5 sheets stacked on top of each other. I buttered the top layer then placed about 1/2 cup of the mixture onto one end and just started folding it till it kinda made a triange...each time I folded it over, I place a tiny amount of butter on top, then buttered the top of the completed triangle. I also rolled them to make a rectangle and that worked out well too. It made about 12 of them! Either way you roll em, they are yummy yummmy!!!!!.........PS...to get all the water out of the spinich, take a bunch of paper towels and place the spinich into it and squeeze the heck out of it. Make sure you're over the sink when you do it and be careful if the spinich is hot!

Quoting:
Delicious spanakopita, be sure to use good quality feta to get that sharp 'bite' these should have. I did add a little garlic and a bit of fresh lemon juice to the mixture. I am giving this only 4 stars, not for the taste but for the directions. If one hasn't worked with phyllo, they would need more specific directions. Be sure to keep it covered with a damp cloth and only expose the sheets you are currently working with to the air. Otherwise they dry out and are impossible to fold, cracking and splitting. There are plenty of tips on the box and don't forget to allow for defrosting time! I also feel that the baking time is off. The trianles that I baked fresh were done in about 20", nice golden brown with bubbly filling. I also froze some and those took closer to 45" to be done. I doubled the recipe and took a platter to a baby shower and everyone enjoyed them.

Quoting:
Delicious spanakopita, be sure to use good quality feta to get that sharp 'bite' these should have. I did add a little garlic and a bit of fresh lemon juice to the mixture. I am giving this only 4 stars, not for the taste but for the directions. If one hasn't worked with phyllo, they would need more specific directions. Be sure to keep it covered with a damp cloth and only expose the sheets you are currently working with to the air. Otherwise they dry out and are impossible to fold, cracking and splitting. There are plenty of tips on the box and don't forget to allow for defrosting time! I also feel that the baking time is off. The trianles that I baked fresh were done in about 20", nice golden brown with bubbly filling. I also froze some and those took closer to 45" to be done. I doubled the recipe and took a platter to a baby shower and everyone enjoyed them.

Quoting:
Sep. 10, 2006
This may be the tastiest spanikopita I've ever had. The mixture was a little wet for using just one phyllo sheet per triangle. Next time I might use 2 sheets per triangle. The only modifications: I added 2 minced cloves of garlic to the mix, and 2 tbsp of chopped basil alongside with the dill. Simply amazing.

I'm adding those tips just in case somebody else is saving this to their hard drive too.

I found another animal crackers recipe and it too has oats in it but no egg-

Animal Crackers Recipe
Ingredients:
1/2 cup instant oatmeal, ground up fine
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons of buttermilk

You can use a mortar and pestle or a blender to grind up the oatmeal. Put the oatmeal in a large bowl. Add the honey, salt, flour and baking soda. Mix well. Cut in the butter with 2 butter knives. Add the buttermilk. Mix this together with a wooden spoon. Separate into 2 pieces. Get a rollingpin and roll the
dough out till is is very thin. Cut out the shapes with animal shaped cookie cutters. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.

Found another one for animal crackers. In looking at these, I think these are actual cracker recipes as opposed to a cookie recipe to plop in a mold. What do you think?

Animal crackers, and cocoa to drink,
That, is the finest of suppers, I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please,
I think I shall always insist upon these. Christopher Morley (1917)

3/4 cup (94 g) whole wheat flour
1/4 cup (35 g) cornmeal
1/4 cup (30 g) grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons (30 ml) dehydrated vegetable flakes
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt (optional)
4 tablespoons (60 ml) cold reduced-fat margarine
1/4 cup (59 ml) skim milk
dash cayenne pepper (optional)

1. In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, dehydrated vegetable flakes, baking powder, and salt (if using).
2. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut margarine into flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs. Make a well in the center and stir in the milk to form a stiff dough. Gather the dough into a ball and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F (190° C). Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/8-inch (1/2 cm) thickness. Cut out with small cookie cutters into animal shapes. Transfer cut out crackers to a nonstick cookie sheet. Prick surface with tines of a fork.
4. Bake 4 to 5 minutes, until crackers are lightly browned on the bottom. Using a wide spatula, turn cracker over and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, until browned on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Store in an airtight container.

North Augusta, ON

These are actual cracker recipes---that one sounds good, Mom used to make them when we were young and money was tight.

Oh great, I think I just found it-
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/barnums_animal_crackers/

The earliest mention of animal crackers we have in print is this recipe from 1883:

Animals or Menagerie
1 bbl flour, 40 lbs sugar, 16 lard, 12 oz soda, 8 ozs ammonia, 6 3/4 gals milk."
---Secrets of the Bakers and Confectioners' Trade, J. D. Hounihan [self-published:Staunton VA] April 1. 1883 (p. 96)
[NOTE: this is professional cooking text. It does not offer any instructions regarding the shaping of these cookies. The author offers this interesting preface note on p. 89: "The following recipes are from threee of the best workmen in the business. One of them is at New York, another at Philadelphia and the third at Cambridge, Mass. They are all employed in the best bakeries in their respective localities, and I have their sworn affidavit that they are the recipes they are now working with, and the best known to them...I am not at liberty to give the names of the parties I have the recipes from, for reasons best known to myself and the parties"]

There we go- "1 bbl flour, 40 lbs sugar, 16 lard, 12 oz soda, 8 ozs ammonia, 6 3/4 gals milk."

Mustn't forget that ammonia listed above???

This might be a good possibility-
http://www.foodchannel.com/2005/05/recipe_search.html

Quoting:
Recipe Search

Concerned reader Nancy Parker asked Foodchannel.com, "I am looking for a recipe for a cookie just like the Barnum (Bailey) Circus Animal crackers. I want to make a cracker-like cookie...sturdy and a bit sweet..so I can make my own animal crackers at home. I can't seem to find one. Where should I look? I have already Googled it...the recipe was awful! If you know where I could look...I would be very appreciative!"

1/2 cup sugar
2 egg whites
Pinch salt
1/4 cup melted margarine
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a baking sheet. In a mixing bowl, stir the sugar into the egg whites; add the salt. When the sugar is fully dissolved, add the margarine, flour and vanilla and beat with a mixer til smooth. Drop the batter, 1 teaspoonful at a time onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2- inches apart. Bake for 5 minutes, or til edges are browned. The cookies are warm enough right out of the oven that you can form them into shapes and draw designs in them with a toothpick.

Oops, typing when you were typing. I picked up this mold at a garage sale along with a bunch of cooking gadgets and gizmoes. It's all animals. It's really pretty. It has all the shapes of the animals that were in the original box of Barnum's Animal Crackers. I should go take a photo of my mold. It's really neat.

North Augusta, ON

please, take a picture.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

bunch of Christmas cookies here:

http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/

More than you ever wanted to know about Ammonium carbonate (a byproduct of hartshorn, a substance extracted from deer antlers [harts horn]. Hartshorn is most commonly referenced in old cookbooks in jelly recipes. It was also known a source for ammonia, which could be used as a leavener)-
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcookies.html

Took me a while but I figured it out- animal bisquits not animal crackers or animal cookies. These were originally imported to us from UK in those little boxes to hang on our Christmas trees as decorations... hence the little string handle.

225 g (8 oz) Be-Ro Self Raising Flour
100 g (4 oz) caster sugar
100 g (4 oz) butter or margarine
½ lemon, grated rind and juice
1 medium egg, beaten

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Equil the best Pinwheel cookies I make are from Refrigerator Cookie dough. You can make any kind you want by dividing up a batch of dough. I also pack dough in a loaf pan since can't roll out dough anymore. Just make it in layers pressing into pan real good. dump out when chilled and slice down the middle lengthwise. Slice cookies about 1/4" thick

Refrigerator Cookie Dough

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flower
1 1/2 c. gran. sugar
1 c. butter softened
1 1/2 tsp. dbl acting baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla

at slow speed beat all ingredients until just mixed. At medium speed beat 3 minutes. Shape dough into rolls about 1 1/2" in diameter. Wrap in wax paper and chill 4 hours to 1 week. Slice 1/4" thick and place 1" apart on cookie sheet. Bake 375 for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove cookies to cooling rack.

Citrus Pinwheels

1 batch refrigerator cookie dough divided in half

mix 1/2 tsp lemon extract and 1/2 tsp yellow food color in half of dough

mix 1/2 to 1 tsp orange extract and 1/2 tsp yellow food coloring and 10 or more drops red food coloring to get desired orange color.

roll out each dough seperately between wax paper sprinkled with powdered sugar to about a size of 12" x 16". Remove top layers of wax paper from both and invert together. (I find it is much easier if you chill each layer before inverting together.)
remove top piece of wax paper and roll doughs up together from long side. Chill until firm and slice 1/4" thick and place 1" apart on cookie sheet. Bake 350 12 to 15 minutes until just lightly browned. Remove cookies to cooling rack immediately.

Neapolitan Cookies

1 batch refrigerator dough divided in 3 parts

to 1 part of dough add about 1/2 to 1 tsp strawberry flavoring and enough red food color to make it red

to another part add 1/2 tsp almond extract and some finely ground almonds or walnuts. leave dough white

to last part of dough add 1 square of melted unsweetened chocolate.

place either strawberry or chocolate dough in bottom loaf pan and press to fill bottom of pan evenly. Next layer the almond dough on top and then last layer on top of it. It is easier to remove from pan if you line it with wax paper. Chill several hours. Remove from pan and slice down the length. Cut cookies 1/4" thick placing 1" apart on cookie sheet. Bake 350 for 10 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned.

I also do this one in chocolate and mint with finely chopped nuts in the chocolate part. Since you will be dividing the dough in 1/2 instead of 3 parts use 1 1/2 squares of unsweetened chocolate

With this dough you can do anything or flavors you want. It is one of our most favorites. Your imagination is your only limit with this dough

This message was edited Nov 10, 2007 8:39 PM

Sorry, still had my nose in google when you all were posting.

TwinLakesChef- WUVIE beat you to that Northpole site in the thread we came from. Great site. Great minds must think alike.

DonnaB- goodie! Another one for me to try! I remember my grandmother rolled hers in red sprinkles before she baked them. The sprinkles were only around the edge. Looked just like the Maurice Lenell cookies.

threegardeners- here ya go! I only paid a couple dollars for it. I'll need to know how to clean it up properly as well as how to season it before I use it. It doesn't look all that old now that I have it in my hands but it sure has been laying around for a long time.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
North Augusta, ON

Wow---what a find!!

I second . . what a find! What is the material it is made of?

I'm not a metal person. Best guess is cast iron based on the weight of it and I must admit I was curious myself so I licked it before I took the photo and it tasted just like cast iron dutch ovens we have.

I also bought a really old corn bread whateverthosethings are called deals. The corn mold is in the shape of 5 or 6 corns but I don't believe it is made out of cast iron. It's much larger and much blacker than this mold and not nearly as heavy. Don't ask me to take a picture of that as I have no idea where I put it after I took everything out of all my kitchen cabinets and reorganized while deep cleaning about a month ago. It's here, somewhere. Haven't a clue where.

Ok oil it well and it will do good.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Ooh, love all these recipes, and that animal mold, very neat!

Did you by chance surf Ebay to see if a similar pan with more
details was featured? Very interesting pan and recipes.

I'll be quoting Mr. Morley often. ;-)

Looking for these recipes-
-rosehip jelly (with instructions)
-eggplant parmesan (very thinly sliced and could have been dipped in an egg batter of some sort before it was layered into the baking dish)
-Linguini with white clam sauce
-Ratatouille

I am told these sites are good for Chinese recipes-
http://www.chinatownconnection.com/chinese_recipes.htm
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/wchuang/cooking/Chinese_n_Japanese.html
She said there was a good crispy duck recipe here-
http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/online_recipes/china/china.php

Oops again. I let that last post sit while I was doing something else. I didn't check eBay. Haven't been there in a while and I already have the animal cracker mold. I don't want to sell it. I sort of like it.

Yes, the Morley quote was cute. That's why I left it in. I like little things inserted like that.

I still need to sit down and dig out that list I had started of recipes I wanted. Maybe tomorrow.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Lauren, do you have the old Betty Crocker cookbook from the early 50'th?
The thumb print cookie that you requested is in there. Have made them since I was married in 54. My Betty Crocker cookbook was a wedding gift and our 2 girls were so used to it, had to find them each one by crusing auctions and garage sales.
Let me know if you don't and I will post it for you.

Maxine

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Eq,

No, I'm sorry, I meant checking Ebay to see if there is a similar
mold. Sometimes those selling the same information may provide
a company name or other bits of research. If so, one can further
research the company and may come up with recipes, dates, etc.

I'm just a stickler for information and love to research. :-)

KM

No Maxine, mine's from 1978 but it's my staple. It's got a recipe for Thumbprint cookies in it that I used a few years ago. See if it matches yours please-

Thumbprint cookies
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C shortening
1/4 C margarine
1 egg, separated
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C finely chopped nuts
Jelly

Heat oven to 350.... blah blah blah.

When I tried this recipe, it didn't taste right for some reason. Maybe it was because I used store bought jellies and jams but something was not right.

That book does have a good spritz recipe though.

Since you're here ;), canihaveyourjellyrecipepleaseprettyplease. I'll need directions too. Better yet, wanna come stay with me and teach me how to do things right? My husband can take yours out and they can go and do guy things.

No WUVIE, nothing like it on eBay. Just checked. Also tried to check outside of eBay for the original or reproductions and came up empty handed. This is about the closest I could come and it's not even cast iron and they didn't include a recipe. I'm pretty sure I hit the recipe on the head once I figured out the history of Barnum's Animals. It's a bisquit not a cracker or a cookie.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/landing.jsp?go=DetailDefault&id=5809

That site is kinda neat.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Ah, a bisquit indeed. Love all these recipes and sites you are sharing,
many thanks!

Found the thumbprint cookie recipe in my file this morning:

Thumbnail by WUVIE

Hey! Where's the basic dough recipe found on page 75? Check yours out and see how it compares to what I used please. Just curious why mine didn't taste all that great. Or at least to me they didn't taste the way I remembered when I was little.

I found what appears to be two decent Ratatouille recipes-

First recipe-
INGREDIENTS:

2 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
2 large bell peppers, diced
2 yellow onions, peeled and diced
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
6 cloves of garlic chopped
1 cup sun dried tomatoes
¼ cup of olive oil for sautéing
1 cup of stock
3 sprigs of fresh basil

Place eggplant cubes in a large bowl of salted water. Let set for about 15 minutes. Drain water and squeeze water out of eggplant pieces, being careful so they retain their shape.

Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Sautee eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, onions and carrots until nice and caramelized (about 7-10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Throw in the garlic, stir and cook for about 3 minutes or until garlic begins to soften. Add broth and sun dried tomatoes, reduce heat to low, scrape the bottom of the pan and reduce liquid until vegetables are nice and stewed (about 15-20 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve topped with fresh basil.

Serves 4 with leftovers – and you WANT leftovers as this dish tastes better and better the longer it sits.

Second recipe-

2 bay leaves
2 tsp garlic powder
Fresh black pepper to taste
1/4 cup canola oil
1 medium eggplant
1 large onion
2 medium green peppers
2 yellow squash
2 medium zucchini
2 medium tomatoes
1-1/4 cup canned tomato sauce

Peel eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash in "stripes" leaving half of the skin on the vegetable. Cut eggplant into chunks (cubes) and place in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Then drain. Cut tomatoes, green peppers, zucchini and yellow squash into chunks and chop onion into smaller pieces. Heat oil in medium skillet. Saute chopped onions for a few minutes, then add remaining vegetables, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute mixture for at least five minutes over medium heat. Add small can of tomato sauce and stir occasionally for another 15 minutes. Serve warm.

While I was at the site that had that second ratatouille recipe, I also found two more that look good that I know we like here at home-

Spinach Pasta Primavera

2 tsp romano cheese
1 Tbsp fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped asparagus spears
2-1/2 oz frozen peas and carrots
1/4 cup raw, yellow squash
1/4 cup raw zucchini
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 cup cooked spinach egg noodles
2-2/3 oz fat free vegetable broth
1 tsp butter light, salted
2 oz fat free ricotta cheese

Cook spinach egg noodles and set aside
1. Heat a pot of water to boiling
2. In a blender, combine ricotta cheese, vegetable broth and butter, mix until pureed
3. Pour in a large soup pan and set on low heat just to keep mixture warm
4. If water is boiling, add asparagus, zucchini, squash and peas and carrots
5. Cook vegetables for 2-3 minutes, drain, then pour vegetables in pan with puree mixture
6. Add cooked pasta, sun dried tomatoes, basil and romano cheese. Ready to serve

And-

Squash Medley

2 tsp olive oil
2 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 medium onion
2 medium zucchini squash
1 medium tomato

Wash zucchini squash and trim both ends. Slice squash cross-wise into thin slices and reserve. Wash tomato and cut into small wedges and reserve, separately. Peel outer layer of onion and thinly slice into rings. Over medium-high, heat oil in a medium skillet and add onion slices and cook until they are tender. Add squash slices, cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato wedges and sliced mushrooms to skillet and continue to cook mixture covered for an additional 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a serving bowl.

I can now cross Ratatouille off my lust list as both of those look good.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh my gosh, do I feel like a bimbo. LOL

Coming right up, dear lady! :-)

BASIC DOUGH RECIPE

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour

Beat butter and shortening 30 seconds on medium
speed. Add sugar, powder and salt. Beat until combined,
beat in egg and vanilla last. Beat in as much of the flour
as you can with the mixer, using a wooden spoon by hand
to mix in the rest if needed.

Refrigerate dough for up to three days or freeze up to one month.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2007 1:08 PM

Looks pretty much the same as mine. Think the butter v. margarine could have made that big of a difference in taste? We normally use butter around here not margarine anyway but around the holidays, we buy margarine for the people who won't use butter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.