-
AuthorContent
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #4188109

Hi! This is just for fun. I started this over in the winter sowing forum and thought you all might get creative with it.

Hello. My name is Jan and I am a seed addict.

Looking around I figure this HAS to be the best thing in the world to be addicted to

1. They are small
2. They are inexpensive (or free if you collect your own or trade)
3. They are useful
4. They add to the beauty of the world
5. They can be played with
6. They are just plain delightful

Thumbnail by grampapa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #4188203

They are free

They are fascinating

They can be traded

for MORE seeds!

LOL

Neat to hunt the little buddies and try to figure out how to get them out of their shell. A real challenge.

Boy, do they leave a mess sitting around this house... 8 )

Thumbnail by podster

flowerhead410
Nelson, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #4188605

They are a miracle-to have a beautiful plant come from such humble origins-it's amazing
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #4188618

My name is Cathy and I am a seed addict! Thought I was cured a few years back, but it was just dormant. The Psychotic Seed Affliction, as my DS calls it, is back with a vengeance!
There is something so soothing about packaging seeds and seeing them all in their little envelopes, tucked in safely, just waiting to be be planted into fresh potting soil...
Podster, I love the paper plates, looks so festive! I use coffee filters too, they seem to absorb the excess moisture from fresh seed quickly.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #4189610

Cathy, silly girl, there is no cure. You can only try to control it by planting some of them so that they will grow up and make more seeds LOL.
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2007
8:06 PM

Post #4189618

More seeds, yes...
Big seeds, small seeds, shiny seeds, dull seeds, round seeds, pointy seeds, jagged seeds, sticky seeds, fluffy seeds, I need them all!
pford1854
Marion, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #4189971

(Paul - standing) Hello my name is Paul, and I'm addicted.
(Group) Hello Paul
(Paul) - I started collecting seeds this year, and everywhere I look, I'm looking for seeds.
My wife is wondering if I need help.
I'll have to tell her that I've got a great support group.
(Paul sits down)

Thanks everyone for being supportive.

8^)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #4190214

Paul, problem is, we're supporting your addiction, not your recovery LOL. Welcome to our not-so-exclusive club :0)
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4190391

I knew I had gone over the edge when I spied a packet of crushed red pepper that came with our pizza, and my first thought was, "I'll bet I could get that to germinate."

This message was edited Nov 13, 2007 5:41 PM
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #4190420

Susan, here's the real test...did you try it?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #4190533

Yes, did you? And did it? LOL

How many of us have raided the spice shelfs for exotic seeds to try?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #4190552

Cathy ~ Gram and I have the same good taste in fine china ~ lol.

I thought they would be the answer but they just take up too much space. And they are tippy. Have to be careful or I will have seed potluck!
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #4190567

"Susan, here's the real test...did you try it?"

Yep, I did but, hanging head in shame, I got zippo. (I'm sure they dry those things at temps of about 5,000 degrees, but it was worth a try... I could've had my own Domino's pepper plant.)
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #4190602

"How many of us have raided the spice shelfs for exotic seeds to try? "

Been there, done that! Loose hibiscus tea that you get in bulk at the health food store has seeds in it!!! Black Cumin is another that you can get for a zillionth of the cost of a regular seed packet.

The Domino's pepper plant experiment was great Susan_C!

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #4190787

What did the hibiscus tea deliver? What a cool idea!

I keep fighting down the urge to stop at an old building in town ( on the pretense of taking photos ) It has an old time red saliva of some sort and I have been eyeing the seeds. DH says NO WAY!
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2007
2:46 AM

Post #4190805

Podster, this is the hibiscus, it's even prettier than the picture:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2113/
Keep working on your DH, he'll cave!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #4190841

And it surfaces again! I love that plant. It has been a topic of discussion on MSG and the Hibiscus forum.

I got this one as a plant and am waiting on MORE SEEDS! 8 )

Thumbnail by podster

svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #4190859

Yes, it is a great one, that's for sure! Glad to see you are enjoying it.
Managed to harvest seeds from my Jamaican dogwood tree Sunday morning, used the stepladder to reach them, and thankfully didn't break any bones! What we won't do for seeds...
I've harvested seed pods from various outdoor restaurants, trying to look nonchalant as I slip a seedpod onto my person somewhere. Dangit, not having a ziploc handy at every given moment!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #4190934

I have done that, got home and threw clothes in laundry forgeting to empty pockets!

I have also harvested a few seed pods from garden centers only to go back and purchase the plant too.

Which, BTW, is how I get lots of seeds. Annuals that wind down on the blooming as they are not pruned back. Instead they are devoting energy to producing seed. So, they hit the "markdown" shelf and I snag them cheap. After pinching back the seeds to save and watering well, they usually also go back to blooming. This was one. Salvia coccinea...

Thumbnail by podster

PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #4190955

Jan, is that all you've got to show us - where are you hiding the rest of the seeds? Don't make us do an intervention!

I have a few packs that I've lost in my "everything" room (pantry/laundry/computer/eBay/gardening/homeschool). I just got them last month so that means I have to clean up some of the clutter to find them!
pford1854
Marion, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #4191038

Seed addicts -- better to be additced to seed gathering than other addictions.
( I always tell my dear wife )
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #4191719

Sue, it's a case of 'hide in plain site' around here. they were everywhere. but I have mailed a lot of them away in anticipation of them sending back cousins by the score ;0) and then there are the ones that are packed away neatly just waiting for some to ask for them.

pod, lol on 'fine china'. I have tipped a couple. when those tiny seeds disappear into the carpet I feel like holding a tiny funeral :( at least it was nothing TOO precious

sv, I looked at those hibiscus pics. oh, to have a whole hedge of those beauties! alas, I live in the cold, cold, north!

PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #4191738

Hey, guess what? I motivated myself to start cleaning out my "play room" this morning and about ten minutes ago I found those precious seed packs!

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #4191921

Primrosesue will you tell me where mine are?? I did so much trading that I hope I have room for all. I have all but one of my trades and I can't find it to save my soul!!!. I have all mine in regular small mailing envelopes and put them in two baby wipe boxes. They hold a lot of seeds and you can get in there and go through them like a recipe index. Iam a hostaholic and now am also a seedaholic. Do I need help??? BEV
kelboindy
Georgetown, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2007
7:05 AM

Post #4194853

I thought we were all helping you.. To make sure you dont run out!!
Hi, I am a seedaholic...Everyone here are enabelers...
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2007
3:33 PM

Post #4195847

Bev, if all of your seeds fit in 2 baby wipe boxes, you need help. You don't have nearly enough! LOL Oh yes, you also need help to find your missing trade :0)
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #4196013

I'm quickly transitioning from a 'social' seed packet buyer into an 'addicted' seed scrounger.

Kind of fun, actually.

I made Austrian sauerkraut the other night and a light bulb went off in my head as I reached into the spice cabinet--so of course I set aside some of the fennel and caraway seeds to try in my new Park's Biodome seed starter (that I just purchased on the Park's Seeds 35% off sale!) LOL

Also had to get the vacuum out to clean up all the Milkweed seeds flying around in the car and on my black sweater, too...it was 'pinched' on my trip through the park last week.

Podster--I like that hibiscus a lot. Does it make nice tea, too?
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #4196199

Judy, was your biodome on sale? I went to buy one, and only the seeds, plants, etc. were 35% off. none of the 'hard' stuff was. do I need a code or something?
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #4196362

Well, just went back and checked and the Biodome was just a Today's Featured Selection! Oh, dear...

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=gateseedstarters

I hate to buy stuff not on sale!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4198101

Hi ~ Tabasco! Yes ma'am on the Hibiscus tea. I have nibbled the calyces and they are tasty but have resisted tea. I am trying for seeds (What else??? LOL ) this year.

If you have a few minutes and are interested, I have saved info and recipes in my journal on this plant. http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/viewentry/148684/ Then, if you think you care to grow it ( it is a tropical) I will share a few seeds when they are ready.

Please let us know if you have any luck with the fennel or caraway seed sprouting. I have heard commercial spices won't germinate. Your Austrian sauerkraut sounds wonderful. pod
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2007
7:41 AM

Post #4198830

Turn people on to seeds and they won't leave you alone.They tell a friend and they tell a friend.Soon people call you night and day.You got more traffic in and out of your driveway then a McDonald's drive thru.They refer to you as their connection.When you tell them your out,they want some of your private stash.Yes this country is over populated with seed junkies always looking to score.Edge
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2007
11:21 AM

Post #4198951

Yep, and then it turns world-wide. My DH tells people I'm the hub of an international seed ring.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #4199016

That's why the police are watching the house! All that traffic ~ lol

Just had a friend/customer bait me by bringing a baggie of seeds ~ in exchange for some seeds I have. It would seem there are many of us in "the closet"!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2007
1:32 PM

Post #4199234

Podster-- loved looking at your 'roselle' page in your journal. It was a beautifully written article and made me taste the hibiscus jelly--especially when they mentioned pouring it on gingerbread pancakes! Mmmmm!

Tea sounds good too, but now that I know about the jelly I may have to try a couple seeds. It said that it was grown in the midwest as an annual...? For the leaves, I suppose...

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #4199827

gingerbread pancakes sound good, too!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #4201735

I just ate and y'all are making me hongry ~ lol

Tabasco ~ the only problem you might have with them is they don't bloom till late season! Mine started with blooms in mid Sept. Not sure what triggers the bloom, perhaps shorter days. If that is the case, they may bloom sooner for you. You are welcome to seeds to try and then you can report your success! I read they would rebloom if deadheaded but I really wanted all the "seeds" I could snag. Charter member of the seed addict club here... 8 )

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #4201780

I'm planning to TRY to write an article about my very first seed-starting experiments, as a child, raiding my grandmother's spice shelf. I know I planted dill (for pickles) and probably poppy seeds but I can't remember what else. Funny thing is, I cannot imagine her making her own pickles or poppy seed bread or any of those yummy exotic things.

Other things I have collected in the past: tropical fish, clothes and shoes, husbands, broken computers. Seeds are much more cost- and space-efficient.

xx, C
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #4201803

grampapa-DH says you should just water the carpet when one "tips" over! LOL
You all are hilarious! I am not a seed addict, yet! Or at least I don't think I am?
flowerhead410
Nelson, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #4201884

Wait a second misty-you are sending me a sasbe for unusual seeds-I think this is a clear sign!!! This is the denial stage! lol
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #4201926

Nuh uh, I sent you a regular envelope, don't that count?! :)
Well, DH shook his head that you are correct. :( OK, maybe you all are right after all. LOL
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2007
12:36 PM

Post #4202682

misty, just the fact that you are reading this thread is a sure sign LOL

LOL on watering the carpet (and I'm sure there is plenty of dirt under there to sustain life!)

pod, me too, on not deadheading so I get more seeds. oh, it's baaad!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2007
12:43 PM

Post #4202688

Scarey what lives under the carpet ~ isn't it?

Who was looking for their seeds earlier ~ PrimroseSue? Maybe you should look under the carpet? LOL
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2007
12:58 PM

Post #4202710

Maybe she should look under my carpet. or in my seed box? bwaa ha ha!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #4202785

LOL :)
Theresa
Marine City, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #4227687

I have helped my veteranarian deadhead his columbine. I also helped McDonalds, right at the drivethru deadhead some of their plants. I helped my local Dairy Queen deadhead their daylilies.
Im so civic minded! :)
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #4227698

You go girl! LOL :)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #4228191

attagirl! what would they do without you? wait til they get your bill LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2007
7:01 PM

Post #4228215

Didn't you read where she said she is civic minded? She does this out of loving-kindness!
x, Carrie
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #4228323

Of course she does. what on earth is wrong with me?
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #4249999

Here is my problem - I have sooo many seeds (yes I must be an addict) but then I feel guilty because I know the seeds have limited viability - so how am I to germinate all those seeds and plant them all (and still collect even more seeds?)

I think I need help . . .
Theresa
Marine City, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2007
3:04 PM

Post #4250109

Seandor, you seem perfectly normal to me. Doesnt EVERYONE have too many seeds but still need more?
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #4250125

Thanks for your support, Theresa. :-)

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #4250162

(hands behind back) Oh well! I might just admit that I am a seed addict! I should have known this when I can't use any spices that are not grind up!
When guests help clean up after dinner and head for the 2nd fridge to store leftovers...I'd be screaming.."No! That's for seeds only!!"
I carry some ziplock bags in my purse, just in case...
Theresa, you're a Shining Star for the seeds!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #4250840

You know what's neat? It's a contagious disease. I was out with DH one day and he spotted a pretty plant at a restaurant. HE said to look for some seeds AND wanted to know if I had a baggie with me. Ain't it grand?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #4251015

I, Jan, um, let's just say I have yet to get to that stage with my DH, AND the restaurants we go to, if any, have rubber plants. xxx, Carrie
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #4251112

Had lunch at Chili's today and asked for a box to take home the remainder of my salad. The nice waitress brought a styro box, inside was a plastic bag and a 2 oz. container with a snap on lid, more than likely for extra salad dressing. DH asked what the little container was for and I told him it was an E.S.R. "What?" he asked. I said, "It's an Emergency Seed Receptacle." He's learned so well, he immediately knew what I meant!
There weren't any seed pods in the parking lot to test it out though...
Cathy

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #4251131

Cathy!! That's a hoot!!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #4253160

Cathy, I love it!!

Carrie, this plant was outside. And it was already picked clean LOL
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #4274318

Oh I love this thread. I resemble all the remarks. I have tipped over 7 plates of seed stacked on top of each other temporarily while we use that big table to eat on it. I have seed I collected I washed or couldn't remember where I got them or what they are. I love to go through my box and slide my hands over the seed pkgs. I moon over the pretty pictures. Am I an addict, naw just an appreciator of this art. Yeah Got any seeds you don't want? I have a small amount of room left in one of my boxes. LOL
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2007
3:31 PM

Post #4274372

River, if you stack the packs kind of 'top to bottom' you can probably fit in a few more LOL
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #4275397

Riverland ~ will have "more" seeds coming your way shortly ~ LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #4275808

I admit, I REALLY like the pretty pictures, but they have to have real seeds inside. No fake cutsey seed-package-esque tray or hotplate will do -- maybe why that's why I haven't gotten into collecting my own seeds YET! xx, Carrie
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2007
5:16 AM

Post #4276522

I'm a seed addict. Two years ago when I stopped at my bank's ATM machine, I noticed a purple coneflower seed head leaning towards me. I did my banking and pinched the seed head off of the coneflower. I winter sowed it and this year I was rewarded with flowers. I really didn't rob the bank. lol.

DEMinPA

Thumbnail by DEMinPA

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #4276551

We was at the Hospital today, and DH grabbed me as we was walking past some flowers and plants in the hallway! I laughed and said but I had already smacked my hand! Then I looked again and said, well, I have most of them already! LOL
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #4276786

frunny, you guys! banks and hospitals...what's next?? prisons? just don't try the White House. they have the Secret Service all over the place LOL

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4282314

Grampapa, don't doubt some of the resourcefulness of these addicts just for those "unattainable" seeds!!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4282351

Oh but it would have been so much fun had I been able to sneak out of there with something, even if I had it already! LOL
sowmo
Southern, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #4372103

Well' I thought I was cured' of my addiction, but today I saw some little black salvia seeds just staring at me, and well' I couldnt let them fall, I just had to save them, 'poor things!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #4372124

LOL
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #4373744

sowmo, I thought everyone understood...there is no 'cure'. you did the right thing ;0)
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #4373763

Oh, I understand the feeling. my big problem is very generous DG members send me HUGE packets of seeds - when I need maybe 20 tops. So then I take the 20 I need, and then I feel a desperate need to find homes for the seeds - 'cause I know they have a limited shelf life lol

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #4373773

:)
CompostR
south central, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #4383692

"God grant us the wisdom to save the seeds we know are viable, to dicard the seeds we suspect are pretty much dead, and the wisdom to know the difference."

(I have a whole pintful of old seed I just mixed together - what I'm going to do with it I don't know. Just toss 'em out in the pasture? No no...
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #4383937

birdseed? craft projects??lol
CompostR
south central, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #4383951

I hadn't thought of crafts. Now, let's see - take an old picture frame and cover it with white glue... ha ha
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #4384079

there you go...
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2008
8:06 AM

Post #4463878

Seed addiction? I am not addicted!

(The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem, right?)
flowerhead410
Nelson, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2008
11:46 AM

Post #4463966

Suzy, Stop lying to yourself. I can smell the seeds on you. You've had so many seeds that your sweating seed stench through your pores. You all know what we would find if we came to your house right now. It's time to come forward...and hand the seeds over I NEED SOME TOO. (On hands and knees) PLEASE share what you have, Suzy, PLEASE!!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #4465352

you know, Suzy. I believe you. if you were a true addict and got your hands on all those swap seeds, you'd NEVER be able to let them go LOL we'd find you sitting like Ebenezer Scrooge trying to stack the little packs to the ceiling and chuckling to yourself while the piles fell on your head.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #4465404

Speaking of which, gram, YOUR can is so full I cannot add one more pack without bumping you up to the next size can. As I recall, you didn't actually want any seeds, you were just going to donate and take "one or two". ROTF!

Suzy
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #4466049

1. Dining room tables, counterspace, desks, bureau tops, book shelves (well face it, pretty well all furniture) were made to dry, sort and package seed. That's why they were designed with flat tops.
2. Some fool keeps mis-naming the seed storage bins in my fridges "Veggie Bins". silly person.
3. All seed is born viable and should be given a chance to prove it.
3. "If you seed it, it will come" (eventually if you fool around with it enough).

oh no I'm not an addict. not at all. honest
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4466739

Too funny! Well, I am definitely a seed addict . . . gee, I wonder how full my coffee can is . . . lol
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #4467808

Suzy, I think it's really indelicate of you to talk about the size of my can LOL I actually mailed off 3 other envies of 'donation' seeds today. I'm not getting anything back for those...so there! Besides, I think you're sneaking stuff in there when I'm not looking ;0)

dahlianut...love your list, especially the misnamed fridge drawers!
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #4474859

My name is Lorraine and I am a seed-oholic, however I do not want help!!!!I'm sure others would like to see me get help, but too bad, their little interventions won't work.
When I first started "snatchin' I didn't take anything with me to hold them. So I helped Wal-Mart one day with some plants that were going to seed, just had to stick them in my purse, naturally they were all over the place and had no idea what they were
It will be different this year. Thank you for enabling and helping me learn to do this addiction better
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #4475148

Lorraine, you're funny :0)...but you're right. If you're going to do it, might as well do it right!
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4475439

OK, I'm officially jealous of all your seeds. I'm so excited with my little bitty box, but now that I know everyone else has much more than me, I'l a little let down.
Who is my sponsor. Please help me, the only thing that will help is that all the people who have too many seeds donate to poor little me. It would get me over my stumbling and get me on the way to recovery. JOKE!!! haha
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #4489596

DH put a new memory card in my camera, look what also came with it-

*BONUS* A pocket sized seed collector! It has an overhanging lid and snaps tight, is streamlined and fits in a pocket without a trace, perfect for 007 maneuvers!

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #4489704

LorraineR, trust me. This coming summer, collect seeds from your plants that set viable seeds (check Plant Files). Package them up and watch for seed swaps. I will be running one starting in September (watch for announcement in July ). This swap will be for "fantasy" plants (in honour of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins birthday Sept 22 - well every swap has to have a theme, right?)

Okay, so for the September swap, save seeds from plants with names like " Giant" or "dwarf" or "magic" or "goblin" or "mystic" or "merlin" or "Queen" or "knight" or "king" or "fairy" or "elf" etc. You get the idea!

Anyway, once you start on the swaps you will be overwhelmed with seeds. I joined DG last Jan 6 - and now I have over 260 types of seeds in my mini-bar fridge! I also bought seeds in July when they go on sale - some I bought specifically to parlay into more seeds with the swaps.
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #4489708

Sendor, I saw your name for the fantasy seed swap somewhere a couple weeks ago... already have a few pkts tagged just for that swap!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4489814

Yes! Yes! Yes! Well, I will be saving seeds from Pacific Giant delphiniums, and from Magic Fountain delphiniums, and I have ordered some more Bilbo Baggins viola seeds :-)

And I will probably have other stuff as well . . . :-)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #4491046

Seandor, what a cool idea. Leave it you to come up with this. I have to start thinking now so I'll be ready...can't miss that one.

svpfool, imagine that coming with a camera accessory. the designer must be a seed collector, too ;0)

Lorraine, I'm in exactly the same position as Seandor. I just started collecting seeds last fall and I've traded the few plants I had that were good seed producers up to over 250 different kinds of seeds already. You can get almost anything you can imagine here. Yesterday I was thinking that it would be nice to plant some bluebonnets because my mom was a Texas native. I looked in the trades, found somebody with seeds, looked at their wants, matched up with something I have, the trader had great feedback, d-mailed, she answered already, agreed to the trade and I'll bet I'll have those bluebonnets before the end of the week.
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #4492598

Oh, I'll be a seed saving fool from now on. There is no plant within 100 miles safe from me I will watch for that Robin, I should have lots of seed, now that I know where they are on some of the plants

Seandor, I'm reading The Silmarillion, the story is supposed to take place when the "middle earth" was first formed. Long time before Bilbo and Fodor. It's good, but you really have to concentrate to keep up.
Course it doesn't have any seeds, but oh well
flowerhead410
Nelson, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4492841

There are many lovers of Middle Earth here at Dave's, Lorraine!
VeraJo
Wheeling, WV
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
12:13 PM

Post #4493367

Hi my name is Vera Jo
I'm a seed addict.

I collect seeds anywhere I can. At the end of the growing season I go to Lowes or anywhere that sells plants and raid their dead plants. The clerks usually just say sure take them or if they aren't busy go ahead and just take the seeds you want from the plants.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #4494753

Egads! Now that's nerve! Well, I guess we have to satisfy our addictions somehow . . I admire your gutsyness! :-) (I bet there are lots of other DG members that do the same thing lol)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
10:25 PM

Post #4499608

Oh, I'll bet there are, too LOL. Anywhere there is an unguarded seed, we'll be there.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 6, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #4500822

ok I'll admit it (blush). I've rescued seed from centerpieces on tables in a restaurant. oh no I'm not an addict. honest. (blush)

edit: are we hoping for an intervention? Personally I would like more advice on smoozing techniques for rescuing seed in danger. Personally I feel its all about seed safety :)

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 8:32 PM

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 8:33 PM
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4502221

'Seed Safety' is now officially our new watchword. thank you to dahlianut. everything we do is with an eye to rescuing seed in danger of perishing needlessly. we who know how to save seed can put it in nice safe containers until we are able to provide it with a new home in nice fresh germination mix or adopt it out to another lover of seeds who is pre-screened and we know will provide it with a good home as well.

yeah, that's the ticket.
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #4503801

I actually think we need to do a march in Washington , everyone else does!! We could have banners that say "We are for seed
safety" and Seed Savers Unite. We could also picket houses where they don't save their seeds.
Now we just have to find out who they are.
Do you think the FBI has a list they could give to us
flowerhead410
Nelson, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #4503807

ROTFLMAO You all are tooo funny!
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4503996

I think we need a "Seed Search & Rescue" unit.
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #4505273

Hey, that would be cool, but you'll have to get an old volkswagon van with flowers all over it so we have the proper "ride" while we're searching
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #4505847

I'm up for that! A return to the 60's 'flower power'

we can distribute some sort of marker for houses where people don't save their seeds so we will know it is ok to 'trespass' and nab those seeds
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4508234

I love this! We could start a movement!
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #4508246

Hey, we have to havae shirts that say "Seed Savers Unite" or something
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 7, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #4508675

How about "Have you saved a Seed today?"
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #4509029

hahahahah - well, I guess it will depend how how "seed" is interpretted!
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #4510193

You're bad. Guess we'll have to say "Have you saved a "flower" seed today!!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 8, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #4510236

LOL you naughty seeders.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #4511095

heeheeheehee
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4511492

{giggle}
VeraJo
Wheeling, WV
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4709288

I'm a seed saver to, I loved reading all your posts...
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #4710081

VeraJo, I'm glad you enjoyed our silliness :0)
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5170473

Guess what - I have already started collecting and saving seeds from flowers I planted this spring. (It's a sickness, i tell you!)
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2008
7:25 AM

Post #5171699

So do I!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #5171953

I just grabbed a few things yesterday LOL
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #5171962

My Siberian geranium just took its revenge: it shot a seed right into my eye. You see: harvesting seeds is like a russian roulette!

BTW
I'm unharmed!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #5174732

Glad to hear you survived, Tuink ^_^
tinabeana
Greenville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5180125

Our peppers got planted late, so we got our first few off the plants tonight. I greedily snapped the seeds up from the jalepeno, banana pepper, and sweet mini my DH chopped for this evening's green pico de gallo. Luckily all my fingers are intact =)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2008
10:14 AM

Post #5186439

Tuink, they should come with a warning LOL. Siberian geranium? sounds intriguing. are you saving seeds for the next swap?

tina, too funny! pico de tina doesn't sound too appetizing. you save those seeds, girl!!
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2008
10:45 AM

Post #5186466

Hi Grampapa,

Geranium sibiricum. I have lots of seeds of that one. Minus one, that is...
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #5196657

Can't enjoy the flowers for looking for the seeds!!! That's me!! Think what I"ll be like when it gets close to fall.!!
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2008
6:22 AM

Post #5196961

Lorraine,

Make pictures of the flowers while picking the seeds. So you can enjoy your flowers in winter!
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5209461

Cool. I've been taking pictures of all the new blooms and stuff, so I can make a scrapbook and people will know I actually grew those!!lol
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2008
5:20 PM

Post #5212723

Now, I look for seeds everywhere I go.
It's rewarding to see something developed from seeds. I have some zinnia blooming right now from seeds! I love it. It's amazing.
redheadedwonder11
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5394931

My marjoram is blooming right now. I am sure hoping to snag some seeds from it :)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #5403405

It's hard to believe that it's already seed saving time. I have bags and bags of seed heads ready to be cleaned from deadheading the garden this week.
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5403418

I know, it's become a fulltime job! Well, it's better than weeding anyway!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5403859

Thanks to Tuink I was able to try many different types of flowers that I didn't know were available. Not all did that well in my heat and humidity but plenty did. Thank all of you who shared seeds with me this last year. Cindy
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5404805

yupper kitchen counters covered and moving on to the tables and desks, next bookshelves. I've rejected the 'under the furniture' idea as the dust bunnys live there and I think they eat seeds.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5407737

dahlia...too funny :0)
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5408009

I need to see photos of a good seed filing system. It's insane and my DH wants his dining room table back.
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5409286

So I'm guessing you don't want a pic of my shopping bags full of brown paper lunch bags sitting all around my house??? :)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5409424

how about my veggie bin stuffed willy nilly with seed pacs? ^_^
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5410274

I'm using a school pencil box right now, but it's open and overflowing and I can't close it and I can never find the seed(s) I need.
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5410504

If you can find weezingreens, I seem to recall her having a fantastic system that houses tons and tons of seeds.
mygypsyrose
Browns Mills, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #5420882

Alright. My denial is over. I have Balsa tree seeds. That's right, Balsa tree. For Balsa wood. I live in NEW JERSEY . I can probably name a few more that I don't know why I have. Like maybe Sausage tree. LOL. Hello, My name is Andrea and I AM definately an addict. My gosh.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2008
6:12 AM

Post #5421294

Thanks chatnoir. I sent her a Dmail. Hope to hear from her
MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

August 16, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5423104

Hello I have some Holly hock Seed if any one is interested? I have 3 colors.

Thumbnail by MarciaS

MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

August 16, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5423107

here are pink ones

Thumbnail by MarciaS

MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

August 16, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5423112

a light pink

Thumbnail by MarciaS

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5432440

Hi, marcia. Beautiful hollyhocks :0) If you want to share your seeds, there is a Seed Trading forum where you can offer them

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/trading/all/
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5435428

Ooooh! We should start a thread about the most ridiculous seeds we have in our collection! Great idea Gyspy! (Not that I have any tee hee!)
mygypsyrose
Browns Mills, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5436797

I have a make-up bag that doesn't hold any make-up any more. It hold some clippers, tiny zip-locks, a marker, a baggie with a moist papertowel and my pocket leatherman. That stays in my purse now :-). I was just going through my seed box that is overflowing with too much stuff, and I found packets of seeds that I bought on one of those overlyzealous nights on the internet when I first started. I don't know what I was thinking. I think they gave me sausage seeds by mistake somewhere. I've got to find a better system for my seeds too. I like the baby wipe tubs with envelope idea. I have a plethera of those. Maybe I could label them A-D and so on so that are more manageable. My dining room has become my potting shed, greenhouse, seed seperating area, etc... Now there's a carpet with enough soil under it to grow a nursury! All I'd have to do is water. Andrea
MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

August 19, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5436923

OK thanks I will do that they are not doubles but I really enjoy them.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 19, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5437193

mygypsyrose you are soooo organized. I keep finding folded tissues in my purse with seeds in them and a smear of eyeliner (which was the written name at one point I'm sure). I'm making me a kit like yours. Thanks.
mygypsyrose
Browns Mills, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5439743

Oh, you wouldn't say that if you saw the rest of my purse ;-). I put them in there so they don't get lost anymore and nobody stares at me wondering what the heck I'm doing for 5 minutes while I fumble through all the junk in there trying to find something!
Turtlegaby
Decatur, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5471104

Fun thread!

I am seed addicted since I was a little girl. When other kids came home with ladybugs or frogs, I came home with seeds. I look for seeds everywhere I go. There is no way I could drive for miles in my car without interruption, when there are plants on the road side. I have to stop as soon as I see a plant of interest. Sometimes I get lost in the woods going deeper and deeper to find seeds. When I visit other people, the first thing I inspect is if they have seed pods on their plants. Seeds, seeds, seeds, they are my life.

I gave up a good paid government job with retirement and great benefits to make my dream come true and open my own online seed store. Am I crazy or what?

I don't think so. I have never looked back and didn't regret it a single minute. My days are now planting seeds, harvesting seeds, cleaning seeds, packing seeds,shopping seeds and selling seeds.

My house is full of coffee cans and ice cream buckets (God thanks my neighbor is a big ice cream eater) in which I store my seeds. There are 3 refridgerators in my garage where I store the delicate seeds and even my kitchen food refridgerator is partially used for seeds.

Oh, and when I go grocery shopping, I only buy fruits with seeds that I can plant again.

Life is beautiful!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 26, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5471159

LOL and I thought I was tough using my ninja skills to defend my seed space in ONE fridge. WOW three!!! Link to your store please Turtlegaby. Thanks.
Turtlegaby
Decatur, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5471587

I cannot self promote on the boards, but you find my store link in my profile. Just click on my name to get there.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5472127

o I'm so sorry turtlegaby (blush). I didn't know you couldn't post links to your business oops.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5487158

Hey! Kids. Do you know what time it is? No it is not HOWDY DOODY time. It is seed picking time again. I am getting some off my orange cosmos already. Here we go again says my DH. O well I am an addict what more can I say!! BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5488023

Yes, dragonfly, it is time again :0) and the funny thing is, I haven't finished planting the things I grew from the seeds from last year LOL. some of them have bloomed and gone to seed right in their seedling containers, so at least I'll have a second chance at them.

Turtlegaby, I'm going to check out your site.
carolpen
Newport, NC

October 31, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5736781

I've only started saving seeds and I can see why it's addictive. I now have a great collection for next season, some of which have already sprouted in the garden. Yeah for seeds!!
Carolpen

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5736799

Sorry I haven't gotten arround to a have and want list yet. Still have so many to send to. If I have any left I will make a haves list and post. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
12:18 PM

Post #5739681

Carolpen, welcome to the group of addicts who do not want to be saved.

Bev, what a pretty garden! I don't have a have/want list either. I would spend all my time doing little trades and getting nothing else done. I get into the big swaps and right now I don't think I'll need another seed for life. But, of course, that will change by tomorrow when I see something I absolutely NEED. I actually ordered my veggie seeds for spring yesterday.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5740001

Did you guys see the Summerhill co-op? You can still join in. It said CLOSED, but it's not. The thread is just too long so they started a new thread. It's for the seeds addict. We are at 35% discount!!!

ordering info thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/914909/
continued at:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918911/

Chat thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/916898/

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5740122

grampapa, I do exactly how you said and am going to have to cut done because that pic is just a little touch of the gardens that I have. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

rustyswoman
Eagle, ID

November 1, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5740203

This forum is no joke, I am also a seed addict! I haven't thought of some of the things that some of you have, but now that I have read about them...oh boy. The miracle of birth.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5743188

Hello, rustyswoman. Glad we've given you some tips to help you maintain your addition. There is just something about seeds, isn't there. I was out in the garden yesterday, stuffing them into baggies. It gives me a real feeling of satisfaction...like a squirrel storing nuts for the winter.

Lili, I'm not gonna buy any, not gonna buy any, not gonna, not...well maybe I'll just take a look. thanks for the links.
rustyswoman
Eagle, ID

November 2, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5743217

Grampapa that is great analogy! I think there should be a limit on how many seed catalogs they send out because I just start making lists and go through again and make a larger list.
Heaven forbid someone tells me about a great website...bad deal. I accidently found whatcom seeds and I have a very LARGE order coming. Rats, I did it again.
Sometimes I want to HIDE the seeds because I feel guilty that I bought MORE.
I don't mind if they don't grow, I just like to grow them. The challenge, the thrill of seeing the little shoots pop up. My fingers are twitching now just thinking about it.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5745379

After entering all my seed on hand in my Book of Lists it is now a tome :O I haven't even indulged in the annual fall sale glutteny. I need another fridge for storage that's all there is to it!!!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #5761574

Thanks (I think?? lol) to LiliMerci, I have purchased some seeds thru the co-op. Now I promised DH not to buy any seeds this fall, but these were a really great deal and I need some for an article I'm writing ( really...I do...really)
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
6:54 AM

Post #5761930

Just exchanged my seed box for a seed closet...
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2008
6:58 AM

Post #5761935

Seeds closet? WoW! Glad I could help you out grampapa.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #5762117

Tuink, you are a BIG time addict. As if I didn't know that after the great seeds I got from you in the swap.

Lili, all addicts need an enabler LOL
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5762340

Some pictures:

This is the seed cupboard, it's not entirely dedicated to seeds, but most of it is! I can dry them here too, without having to be afraid to topply them over!

Thumbnail by Tuinkabouter

Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5762342

These is the stock of seeds I trade with, in alfabetical order. I have three drawers like this!

Ehhh, see next post...

This message was edited Nov 7, 2008 2:23 PM
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5762349

xx

Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5762352

And these are ready for trading!

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5762381

Oh, my goodness! You are making our dining room table look embarrassing. Way ORGANIZE! That is my goal, to get organize with my seeds. I have one of those filing folder that I put my seeds in.

BTW, Tuin, I have some seeds for you. I'm sorry but the white butterfly ginger did not produce any seeds.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5762598

Holy Cow ... I can not believe i have not posted in this thread...

hey Jan -- been a long time!!

Bev -- good to see you

Tuink -- good golly, you are organized

**waves** to everyone else.

OH yes... I too am a seed addict.

I was snagging dead heads - from what i believe was some sort of BES at our polling place on Tuesday.
I usually have baggies in my pocket just for the occasion.

Terese
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #5762632

Hey Lili,
You made me all curious!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2008
3:06 PM

Post #5762690

I will have to look and see but I owe you some seeds but I didn't send it yet because I was waiting to see if my butterfly ginger would produce seeds. I don't even remember the seeds, but I'll have to look back at my trade tracker and see. I know I have an envelope set aside for you.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5762705

Tell us Tuin, do you sort your seeds alphabetically? Are your color cards used for the type of seeds (annual. vines, perennial)?
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5763519

Yes, alphabetically. I don't sort by type but by it's scientific names (the ones in Latin). Families of which I have several species get their very own tab. Makes things way easier! The colours are more or les at random...
carolpen
Newport, NC

November 8, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5764755

I'd like to know how long seeds remain viable. i have so many left over from this summer. I planned to use them next season, esp veggie seeds. Do I just throw some into potting mix and see if they germinate? Hey, I've gotten many criminal techniques for collecting seeds. I'll be ready to commence operation in the coming season. My purse is already stuffed with plastic bags.
Many thanks,
Carolpen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5764781

I think at least a few years at best.

I know I had luck with some seeds that dated back quite a few years, and they germinated fine for me.

I know I just saw where someone was going to do a 'test' so to speak, on older seeds.

but -- year old seeds, you will not have troubles with.

some one with more experience with seeds will pop in and probably give you a much better answer.

I still consider myself a novice.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 8, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5764857

I'm on the wrong computer but I have some good links for seed viability that I will post next week. Sorry I have snow now so have to focus on the annual spreading of the poop and compost and MOST IMPORTANT finish voting in the DG photo contest. I hope you've all voted???? Most veggie seeds are good for 2-3 years and some longer. Many annual and perennial seeds are good for much longer. I will mark this thread and get back to you I promise if no one else chimes in.
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
4:52 AM

Post #5765330

Sometimes I use the paper towel test. I count out 10 seeds. Lay them on half of a paper towel. Fold the other half of the towel over them. Make them wet and I wet them daily. In a few days they will swell and start growing a root.

This summer I bought 12 banana pepper plants at our local farmers market. They grew and I harvested many peppers. I left a few to change color from yellow to orange and finally red. I harvested some of the red ripe peppers to save the seed. After researching banana peppers, I found out that some banana peppers are sterile. I did the wet paper towel test and all 10 seeds started to germinate.

Don (DEMinPA)
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #5765465

Most seeds are viable for 3-5 years if stored in a cool dry place. Some for much longer, like poppy seeds who are viable for more than a hundred years. And some lots shorter, like the seeds of the umbellifers.

They found some seeds in the grave of King Tut and managed to get some of those to germinate. They were 3,500 years old!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5769505

Tuink, you are amazing. And that cupboard is gorgeous! It makes my plastic shoeboxes look like (expletive deleted).
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #5773187

Good Morn all, If you could see this years seed you would believe that I would never sort this mess out. I take paper bags out with me everyday and dead head into them putting name on the outside. Doing it this way naturally I have multiple bags of the same seed. If they need to dry I remove them and place on a paper plate. I have this huge cardboard box with all these paper bags in it. I am going to have to start soon cleaning them. I just have so much going on right now that this is the best way for me.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5836680

Hi, I am a newbie so I am just starting on the seed trip. Sure has given me an awaking jolt as to how fast they become addictive. I haven't even got to plant any this year so I start next year. BOO HOO . Boy I know reading this thread I have found out how to snipe seed LOL And I haven't laugh so hard in a long time. You guys are halirious. Loved reading it. I have got a priority mail box about 10in x10in that I have got all my seed in, all in little plastic bags, and some of Lorraines' pretty pkgs.
I rapidly became one of y'all ADDICTED admittedly

Tuink I absolutely love your cupboard !!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Nov 27, 2008 6:33 PM
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5845802

OK fellow addicts. There is a new vendor here at DG. I stumbled across them accidently, but was blown away by their seeds. They specialize in poppies and they have an amazing, amazing, selection. Right now they have a classified ad. Check them out - at the very least to drool! :)

No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Just sharing the love!

They are:
One Stop Poppy Shoppe
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5845921

very dangerous!

edited to say - Those "Drop Dead Gorgeous" Poppies are just beautiful!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2008 12:44 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5846011

Riverland we must be kin.
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2008
7:36 AM

Post #5846575

Chatnoir,
Could you give me the link, please, I can't find them!
MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

December 1, 2008
9:06 AM

Post #5846639

You will find it on the home page under the Dave's Garden Marketplace,
I copied and pasted in the search bar and it took me right to the One Stop Poppy Shoppe they are lovely Thanks for sharing
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #5846894

Tuink, you can also just go to their website - onestoppoppyshoppe.com

Right now, I have at least 12 varieties in my shopping cart...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 1, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5847340

noooooooooooo. no more. stop. seeds are bursting out the windows of my house... I have a million poppy seeds already... dare I go there? drat I dared... :-
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2008
7:24 AM

Post #5850029

I'm not going to buy poppy-seeds, I'm not going to buy poppy-seeds, I'm not going to buy poppy-seeds.

I'm not going to... HEEEELP!!!!!!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #5893174

I'm so glad I started this thread. It lies dormant for a little while, just like a seed, and then pops up again with the funniest things LOL Somebody else already clued me in to the poppy seeds. I haven't bought any... YET! Spring is a ways off. I wasn't feeling well this fall and I have all these bags of seed heads from my garden with no labels. Should be fun sorting those out after the holidays. You know...you always think you will know what they are when you get in house, then you lay them down and forget about them.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5893421

I was just telling someone, sometime I plant stuff and don't label them thinking I'll remember what I planted there and a month later I'm going what is that plant I planted there.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5893587

Jan -- sorry to hear you were not feeling well. I was wondering where you were for the Piggy Swap -- but not that you need more seeds...

and i also know what ya mean about thinking you will recall which seed it is...
most of them i'm getting to know... obvious ones like Gaillardia ... but then when you have Agastache and Salvia... they all look alike.

When i'd go out to harvest... i'd decide which plants i was gonna do a head of time and either have the baggies written on or a slip of paper with the plants name... then i'd pop it in the baggie or jar that i had with me. This year i had a larger variety of plants, compared to the year before.

I think I only have 1 or 2 bags that have NoID on it. One is BES, but i'm not sure on the cultivar... so i'm keeping them and will sow them as unknown BES.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5894417

Terese, I started out putting paper slips in baggies before I went outside. I thought I was so smart. After a few times I was lucky to stuff some baggies in my pocket before I went out to walk around. I promised myself (and DH) no more BIG swaps this year. I still haven't organized my hundreds of packets from last year LOL. Not that I wouldn't like to be a 'piggy'. I just have to take a break. It was so much fun, I really do miss it. Even though I know I can't possibly use all the seeds...it's like a hobby in itself.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #5894466

Yes. It is a hobby and collecting seeds is hard work!

I bought one of those plastic filing folder and broke down the alphabet, like A-C, D-G... and I filed my seeds by them. If there are certain kind that I have alot of different cultivar, like poppies, I put all the little baggies in a sandwich bag before filing.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5896976

Thank you, Lili. Love to see everybody's tips :0)
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5897198

You'll be surprise how fast you can fill one of those up.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2008
10:36 AM

Post #5904026

Being a seed addict myself, I wouldn't be surprised at all ;0)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America