Resort & Hotel Garden Design

Novato, CA

When choosing where to stay during a holiday vacation I find that I am highly influenced in my choices by the surrounding landscape that the hotel/ resort has planned.

Recently I visited the tropical island of Kauai and choose a hotel that was celebrated for its landscaping.

Last year I visited Indonesia and not only did we choose hotels and resorts that had great landscaping but we also made it a point to visit other hotel grounds that we were not spending the night at to visit and tour their gardens and grounds.

I think that some of the most inspiring gardens can be found at hotels, bed + breakfast inns and resorts.

Got a favorite garden or a garden vignette from a hotel, resort or B&B ?

This photo below was taken at the Grand Hyatt Resort in Kauai. They have some of the most extensive and beautiful landscaped grounds .

I have several garden shots of the Hyatt at my blog if any one is interested in seeing more of the gardens along with their koi ponds, swans and other exotic bird life.
The brillant red foliage traversing up the hillside behind the lower pool is a large drift of bromeliads.

Thumbnail by deviant_deziner
Phoenix, AZ

DD
Thanks for this thread. I've stayed at the Hyatt Kauai and found it just lovely and a perfect retreat.

Here's a pic of a scene at our Royal Palms Resort in Phoenix. I love the plantings at this particular resort (and of course, we have lots of resorts frequented by people from all over the world). It used to an older hotel without much ambience and was beautifully renovated about 7 years ago. We have the oldest specimen Royal Poinciana in the state at this resort. It was "compromised" in the Big Freeze" of last Winter but after cutting is back sprouted new growth. I'll post a before and after.

edited: it wasn't a pvt res. it was a run down older hotel.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2007 7:33 PM

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

The courtyard.

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

Passage to the lawn where there are many plumeria trees, agave, blue palms.

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

Grassy courtyard... outside T. Cooks (great restaurant).

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

This is the Royal Poinciana that was compromised by the Big Freeze, but it lived!!!!

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

Tower at the entry...

Thumbnail by Aguane
Novato, CA

Aguane,
Thanks so much for your reply and garden design photographs of one of your favorite resort gardens. ( love the fact that it is 'local' for you ! )
This is exactly what I was hoping for. ... great pictures of excellent garden and landscape designwork that can inspire us home gardeners to create that special 'resort feel' right in our own back yards.

Thanks for the inspiration

Michelle

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Michelle,
There are lots of different resorts with different themes. Here are a couple more pics of RP resorts.

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

Casita

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

Lots of plumeria at this resort....Lots

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

Here are a couple of simple pics off the veranda of The Marquesa Restaurant (my very fave for Sunday Brunch) at the Fairmont Princess Resort on Scottsdale Rd in Scottsdale AZ. Also the central water feature, aquaduct-like. This hotel is what I'd call a contemporary intrepretation of a Moorish style. Vast and on a large scale. Quite small planted areas that are definitely desert. The common areas are mostly arched breezeways with oversized lounges, firepits in the cold desert Winter.

Each resort here has very different ambience and each appeals varyingly to people from different regions of the World and USA. As expected, the Hyatt at Gainey Ranch is very tropical in its plantings (no pics yet). The Phoenician is rather Grand and slightly less tropical (no pics yet), The Hilton at Pointe Tapatio is built into a rock mountain and has a feel of mountainous areas of Spain or Italy... little formal plantings (the best 270 degree view of Metro Phoenix and just breathtaking to view during a Monsoon).

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

Same area

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

VERY large water feature

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

another. This feature I'm sure exists to visually cool the senses and counter the raging heat of June/July to Aug/Sept and maybe Oct.

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

Found in the central gathering area which is quiet large scale and vast. Covered, arched pathways leading to shops, restaurants and respite areas surround this feature

Thumbnail by Aguane
Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Such gorgeous resort atmospheres Deviant & Aguane...I live in Florida and have been finding that I don't need to travel too far to find an exotic location. Here's a pic of the Ritz Carlton in Naples that is only 60 miles from me...the grounds and surroundings are incredible!

Thumbnail by KatG
Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

The Gardeners are constantly replenishing and maintaining...I want this garden!

Thumbnail by KatG
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Ok, it's time for another vacation! Thanks for the photos. I have also been to the Hyatt in Kauai. It's gorgeous. So is the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu, but doesn't have the Hyatt beat by a long shot. Here is one shot I happened to have from a trip last May.

Heck, I even think the Disney folks in Orlando do a superb job with their grounds. We had a Savannah-view room at Animal Kingdom lodge a couple of years ago and it was incredible sitting on your balcony with a cup of coffee and looking out at giraffes and an African-replica landscape.

D-D, glad to see you posting again.
Elaine

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

They even had a well-tended memorial tribute to Don Ho (the Hawaiian ballad singer) who had just passed away.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Novato, CA

While waiting in the airport I picked up a magazine called SPA.
In it was some great articles about the best SPA locations in the world and the United States.

Guess where the greatest quantity of high quality Spas and hotels in the US were located ? - Arizona .

I wouldn't have guessed that but judging by some of Aguanes photos I can see some really nice garden resort design.

I have to be a bit conscience when choosing my travel destinations now due to some health conditions so third world adventure travel is out for awhile and relaxing / recharging destinations with good nearby health care facilities are at the top of my list.

I seriously am considering a short winter recharge trip to Arizona now , whereas before it wasn't even on my radar.
Thanks to all for the inspiration !

For more photos the beautiful gardens and grounds see my blog entry : http://deviantdeziner.blogspot.com/
Some good shots of the pool, domestic and imported bird life and a few Tropical Botanical garden shots.

Mahalo !

Thumbnail by deviant_deziner
Phoenix, AZ

Oh Yeaaaaaaaaa.
Arizona does have some of the best. And, I'll tell you, its really different living in a metro area where these resorts are destinations for many people from all over the world. Europeans particularily love this Sonoran desert since there is nothing quite like it in Europe.

I have particulars on these resorts and certainly a POV. For instance, The Royal Palms is a very tight, intimate destination. Its small with no golf course. Very quiet with beautiful gardens. Great restaurant T Cooks.

Phoenician, from Resolution Trust days if you remember Charles Keating and that fiasco. Gov't funds built that resort. Its quite large, open, ostentatous (IMHO)

The Biltmore (near great shopping) is older, designed by a protege of F L Wright. I understand the Dalai Lama stays there during his visits.

We have a new Marriott which I wouldn't even go to lunch at.

The new Four Seasons in NE Scottsdale is gorgeous, refined (in a SW way) and, AND! Greasewood Flat is just across the street. Not to be missed!!!!!!

The Boulders, out in Carefree is a 5 star. I have pics of the place somewhere and will post... It is gorgeous. A BEAUTIFUL golf course, and not a killer. My friend who used to do all the travel for The Gap says the spa is the best in the US. Another friend of mine (both these friends are from Portola Valley CA) has her Four Sister Reunion there annually.

Frankly, as a resident, (spent my first few decades in Menlo Park CA) I prefer the restaurants at the Princess by far. The brunch at the Marquesa is to die for... VERY Mediterrean,,,,, so fabulous.. OMG I've got to make reservations for next Sunday!

But, ya know. If you're here visiting you can go anywhere you want! So, don't forget Sedona, Tucson (Loews Ventana)

I should have told someone to "don't EVEN get me started"! Its fun Resort Hopping!

Oh, and then there's Merv Griffin's place out in Wickenburg.... great resort.

So, the bad thing? The air quality can be pretty rotten in December. We have an inversion. So DD if you have a breathing problem (like me) it may not be the best time to travel here.... Early Spring is Great!

This message was edited Nov 15, 2007 7:30 PM

Aguane's photos will have everyone wanting to visit the Arizona spas, especially the Royal Palms. I don't play golf, but I DO like to eat. Thanks for giving us the down-low on all those spots. I have been to Phoenix many times on business, and you are right about the times to avoid.

DD, if you're travel will be limited to the US, don't rule out some of the other western resorts either. Jackson WY for example, during the spring, summer, fall. Lovely, lovely place with some really nice resorts.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Great idea for a thread DD. I don't know hotels in the USA so this is especially helpful.

Here is one of my favorites in Thailand. This is a very old hotel that has been updated. It was originally the Railroad Hotel and if you saw the movie Killing Fields it was used as the US Embassy in the film.

Sofitel Centara Grand Resort & Villas

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

The gardeners there do a lot of trimming.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

fountain

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

pool area

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

night time

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Last one this was inside the Sheraton hotel where we stayed in Bangkok.

All of my other photos of Southeast Asia hotels are from the days before digital cameras.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

One of our favorites was our private cabana at Ramons Village on Ambergris Caye, Belize

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Each guest has their own cabana and there are garden paths connecting them to the beach and main unit and restaurants/bar.

Thumbnail by haighr

Wowzer!! I love those cabanas, and the setting is lovely.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

It was a lot of fun and it boasts the 2nd largest barrier reef and Steve and I survived shark/ray alley. Each cabana was fully equipped with king bed, bath, sitting area and a private little porch. We loved it.

Novato, CA

Oh fond memories !
I back packed threw Belize and the Cayes in my 20's between school break.
Stayed on Cay Caulker for a week in a guest house and think we paid about 5 dollars a day.
It was located right on the beach, had its own dock and lots of hammocks to nap on during the day.
We lived on rum , coconut milk and fresh fish for a month. - no wonder I was 30 pounds lighter then, ... maybe I need to go back on that diet.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Oh such memories! Those were the good old days. The rum is still readily available.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Perhaps it is time to do it again DD - I didn't go until a couple years ago. I did ring the bar bell a few times and became good friends with Ramon during our stay LOL!

Am looking forward to our garden adventure this year as we are staying at the Bellagio and am so anxious to see the Holiday display at their conservancy. I'll post those pics on our return.

Novato, CA

I'm jealous , Bellagio !
I took a short little 'spa' trip there a couple of years ago during Thanksgiving time and they had a huge- - like 25 feet tall , cornucopia basket exhibit in the center of the conservatory. It was fabulous , especially the alle' of tall fruit and nut columns that lined the walkway into the conservatory. - very cool. ... almost as cool as the incredibly breathless Chihuly glass ceiling in the entry foyer.

If you get a chance try to book a day at the spa . It is quite a nice facility.
And if you have the time check out the "O" show by Cirque de Soliel ( if it is still playing )
I hear their "Zumanity" show is quite the exotic erotic show - saw a clip of it on you tube and it was quite provocative !!

Have a fun and fabulous time in sin city. It can be sooooo much fun ( and I don't even gamble ! )

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The concierge at Bellagio is holding our 'O' tickets for the evening of the 23rd. Will check out the spa but can't wait to see the Christmas display that is going to be spectacular.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I have been allover the world and hardly anywhere in the USA. Guess it is time I start. Maybe the Bellagio is the place.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Kind of the same here zen so one year we went to New Orleans and from then on have stayed in the US trying to cover uncharted territories for ourselves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images