Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Don't Guess, Soil Test: Thank you Paul

Communities > Forums > Article: Don't Guess, Soil Test
bookmark
Forum: Article: Don't Guess, Soil TestReplies: 5, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #4195068

For an informative and important article.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #4197459

Thanks, Paul! I never was too certain about the home tests, and never was sure about how important it is. Thank you for taking the time to explain all that. I, too, have contacted my extension service. The baggie, as they say, will be in the mail. Thanks again!

Lori
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #4197876

Great idea! Never thought of it before...thanks, Paul!
michaeljo
West Norriton, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #4198405

Thanks for pushing the soil test to the top of my list. Calling my extension service tomorrow.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2007
9:59 AM

Post #4209019

[quote]I had heard several years ago that if you add a handful of Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate) to each plant when you fertilize it will give the roses a boost[/quote]

Heard the same thing about tomatoes. Everyone, or it seems as if everyone, suggests tossing Epsom salts into the hole when planting out. Like you, I was suprised when my soil test came back--there is more than enough magnesium in the soil. Adding more would have been a waste of money and as you write, may have blocked the uptake of other elements. Right there I paid for the soil test several times over. My problem was phosophus (a common problem in CT). Only had 1 lb per acre. The lawn I was carving a garden out of looked OK but the soil was not at all suitable for tomatoes (pH of 5.7 and less than optimum K).

Might mention another reason for a soil test: lead.

If you're growing vegetable, it is only prudent to know the lead level. I thought mine might be high because of location and the age of the house but it was only slightly above background. The University of Connecticut provided information on how to mitigate the problem. had it been high.

Aluminum levels are likewise handy to know--both for growing food crops and hydrangeas.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 19, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #4210205

A very good job of explaining a complicated subject in an easy to understand way. Great job Paul!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Don't Guess, Soil Test Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
soil testing dun1kirk 18 Jun 5, 2013 3:55 PM
magnesium rosa18 5 Nov 24, 2007 2:00 PM
Soil Testing telarsteve 1 Nov 20, 2007 11:08 AM
When do I add compost to my soil? SunnyMich 1 Nov 26, 2007 7:30 PM
correcting soil ph wolfbadger 0 Jul 7, 2014 4:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America