Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

November Daily Weather, The chill is on!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy all!
Here's a brand new thread to post our weather and daily museings.
Here in Jax;

Clear
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 31 F / -1 C
Wind: 7.6 mph / 12 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph / 17 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Falling)
Windchill: 45 F / 7 C
Have a wonderful day.
So far it looks like these survived the cold night.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Well I did not grow up in tornado alley, but I spent many an hour on the beach at hurricane parties. Bright, clear (dern it), and it really cooled off - 42, was in the thirties when I went out earlier.

I will try to get some pics of the danged hillbilly cats in a bit.

(Zone 3b)

18*..sunrise at 9:07 (2hours from now), sets: 4:13pm. calm, but not clear; can't see stars overhead.
Rann~the orchid is just beautiful; it sure made me smile to picture your girls as you gave them the ultimatium; ususally works, too:))
MySharona~nice pic, love seeing the everyday places of our DG friends; a nice insight to the area.
Sidney~looks very pretty from here; and hopefully, will survive a few more cold nights.
Music2Keep~~thanks for passing along the hugs/kisses; have a great day;
Dyson~is it light by now? Did you like the long daylight while in Alaska?
The Little Susitna; last year Nov. (looks much the same now).

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I live in 'tornado alley", too, here in Arkansas and I'm with sugarweed as far as the answer to the trivia question--it has to be "E"--in a downstairs bathtub with a mattress over you!
I haven't been on this thread in over 24 hours and you all sure leave a lot to catch up on.
Rann: those are gorgeous orchids. I have three orchid plants but none are blooming right now.
Kelli: I think it was you who posted a photo of that pretty Christmas cactus?
kiska: things look pretty frozen up your way :o) glad you live there and not me! LOL
sugarweed: that's amazing that your flowers seem to have survived the cold but we also had a freeze last night and would you believe it --the "wave" petunias look as if it didn't faze them!

Cooler today than it has been. Sun is shining but the wind is blowing slightly. It is 60*F on my backporch but it feels colder than that--must be the wind.

here is a photo of those petunias: only a couple of blooms- nothing spectacular-- but you can see the frost didn't appear to affect them any.

Thumbnail by marsue
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the new thread, Sidney! Love your coleus!
Wonderful pics,guys! Seems winter is getting close even here,but no snow yet in Bucharest. It's been raining all day yesterday,but a little bit sunny today. Temps are up,about 46 at noon.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Waves last all winter here. We didn't get but to about 42º.
Incidentally if you wonder how I do 'º'. Here's how. Put the temp number and then '&#',then right after put 186. That will give you the degrees sign.
Sidney

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the tip on making the egrees sign, Sidney. It will be interesting to see how long my 'waves' last. This is the first year I have ever had any 'waves'. Maybe they will last all winter here, too, in spite of the cold weather.
Pretty fall foliage, Adina.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Dyson Where are the danged hillbilly cat pics?! LOL!
Kiska Sure looks cold on the Little Sustina! I cant wait to meet you and see your area in person!

This is the first freeze warning my area has been under. WX is now saying not completely coastal, but Ive pulled in some plants that are tender and wrapped others that are tender, but too heavy to bring in just in case. We have a lot of shade in our yard and on the porches so you just never know if they are going to get it.

53.4 F / 11.9 C
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 24 F / -4 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Tonight
Clear and cold with a freeze inland. Patchy frost after midnight. Lows around 30 inland...in the upper 30s coast. Northwest winds 5 mph.

Freeze warning in effect from 2 am to 8 am EST Saturday...

I'll keep y'all posted on the temps as the evening progresses. I know I won't be awake when the freeze begins! I will be awake be fore it ends though. I'll post pics if we did get a freeze (of course) LOL!

"Callie-saurus what are you doing"?

Thumbnail by MySharona

"Nothing"

someone was feeling a little frisky this morning!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Good evening everyone. Just now getting to sit and relax. I got home from work at dark and had to run around covering plants, zipping up the greenhouse, etc. We have a predicted low of 30F. Brrrr. Please cross fingers for my little Queen Palm. Last winter it was in a pot, pampered, covered and wrapped with warm lights. This year it's in the ground, having grown about 2 feet over the summer, and I'm letting it fend for itself!

Rann: That's a beautiful orchid!
Joey: I thing the answer is "C" - interior hallway. (Love your fern.)
Sidney: Ahh! Your pretty coleus. SO nice to see them. Mine are pretty much done for after 2 pretty frigid nights last week.
Sharon: Awww! Callie is adorable. I love those pics.

Currently 53. Clear and dry. No wind.
Lousy picture but this is my little Thanksgvg. cactus, getting ready to bloom. Yay!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

39.2 F / 4.0 C
Clear
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 29 F / -2 C
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Steady)

dysondark and can't sleep

(Zone 3b)

I've come across a site of live web cam of the northern lights at Fairbanks; looks to be interesting:
http://www.aurorawebcam.com/

Kiska

This message was edited Nov 16, 2007 8:21 PM

Kiska - Neat web-site

34.0 F / 1.1 C
Clear
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 28 F / -2 C
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)

6:14am

33.8 F / 1.0 C
Clear
Humidity: 80%
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)

6:26am - There is frost on the roof
33.4 F / 0 C
Clear
Humidity: 81%
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa

This message was edited Nov 17, 2007 6:32 AM

Well the temp is climbing. We got some frost on the roof although we didn't officially hit 32*. The houses around us all had frosty roofs. I'm glad I woke up early as I forgot to cover my Night Blooming Cereus a/k/a Dutchman's Pipe - so I grabbed a sweater and ran outside to cover it just in time. I would hate to loose that one. Not a year old and I really want it to bloom.

33.8 F / 1.0 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 29 F / -2 C
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Freeze warning in effect until 8 am EST this morning...

Today
Areas of frost early in the morning. Sunny with high 66 coast. Southeast winds 5 mph. Just noticed the hummingbird feeder is still up! LOL! Must bring it down...

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold this mornig, gonna warm to 60s maybe.

Chance of rain/snow mix on Thanksgiving.

Here's a better frosty roof pic! This is so unusual for us at this time of year!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Detailed Local Forecast
This Today: Mostly cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon. High 71F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 49F. Winds light and variable.
Tomorrow: Partly cloudy. High 69F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

Sharon: I noticed that we will be warmer today than you will! That frost on your roof makes me cold! LOL
Pretty cactus, Deb. I have never had a red Thanksgiving/Christmas cactus. Mine have all been white.
Kiska, I am going to check out that aurora website right now.

Everybody have a great Saturday!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: That aurora-cam is "way cool". ! :)
Sharon: Our neighbors have frosty roof tops, too. :) It was exactly 32F on my back porch at 730 this morning. Nearby temp tracker says it hit 30. Also very unusual this early in the season for us.
Marsue: That cactus was a gift last Dec. I was told it was a Christmas cactus, but since it's blooming now, I'm calling it a T-giving cactus. :) I hope to take better photos of it as it blooms. :)

Sunny and cool. High 56F.
Overnight low 35F.
Currently BRIGHT! and 53.
No precip in the forecast for the next week. :(

Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Had a little walkabout. Last night's freeze put the old ki-bosh on the last of the coleus and some of my colocasias. The pansies look quite happy, though. :) The chill has brought the birds back to the feeders finally. I was beginning to think they had lost interest in nuts and seeds and suet!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Deb, that is so sweet! Love the birdfeeder! My Christmas cactus doesn't have any buds yet, it blooms usually on Christmas. I hope this year will bloom more ! Every year I moved it from its place and the buds won't bloom anymore,did you know that?Can't wait to see the pics!
Marsue,thanks, my Christmas Cactus is pink!
Sharon, freeze?! I hope your plants won't suffer too much! Funny pics of Callie!
Sideny,can you please explain again,I did like you said and nothing happened!
Kiska, thanks for the link, wow,that was amasing!
It rained all day and it was dyson dark. Sleet and snow forecasted for tomorrow...ugh!We hoped to get a sunny day to go to our house and see what's going on. Maybe we'll go anyway!
Boss in the park.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 3b)

19* and, mostly sunny!!!! sunrise: 9:10; sets: 4:11 loss of 4m59seconds.
It's quite a sight, seeing your frosty roof, MySharona..hope you've saved your plant in time.
Glad you've enjoyed the web site. My grandson is up there for hockey games; they start back this afternoon. about 6 hour drive on a good day.
Adina~Boss looks quite happy to be there. Hopefully you'll get to the house and see how it's coming along.
Deb~nice that the birds have started checking the feeder out again.
Thanks, marsue; it's off to a great start w/sunlight really making the snow bright. Looks like quite a mixed bag of weather for you.
pepper~Thanksgivng day could be a messy one, I'd rather have one or the other.
Kiska
"old" photo; looks same today.

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Adina: Sleet and snow together. Nasty forecast. Ugh, indeed! Hope you get to go see the house anyway. :)

It got up to 60F today, but I still have goose bumps from the 28F last night. I'm already tired of being cold and it's not even Thanksgiving! LOL. I'm in trouble. :)
Deb

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Pretty much a chamber of commerce day today.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on November 17, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
71 F / 22 C
Haze
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 52 F / 11 C

Flowers at Descanso Gardens

Thumbnail by Kelli

The Boddy House at Decanso Gardens. I'd say it was built in the '30s or '40s.

Thumbnail by Kelli

I was not expecting to see azaleas.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Japanese garden

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

Deb ~~ sound's as if you're already to go to somewhere warm:))
kelli~such a beautiful place to spend some time. Again, thanks for posting the pics..
19*F ~~mostly sunny but clouds moving in.
Taken a few minutes ago from the back door. 3pm.
Sunset at 4:11.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: Oooh That's a lovely shot. (and yes, I have thin southerner's blood! ;> )
Here's a warm pic.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Adino - love your pictures of "Boss". I raised German Shepherds for our local state police during the 60's and know how faithful and protective they are.

Frost in the south - heard that on TV. Hope you can save some treasured plants. We have had rain most of this week. Today was overcast and grey, less wind and really not too bad. It is full moon tonight but we are thoroughly overcast at about 41 degrees. Snow Flurries forecast for tonight into tomorrow morning.
Debi, love your picture of the bird feeder and birdies. I have a thistle feeder up and the goldfinches have just found it. The young immature ones ( brown) have to practice hanging upside down to feed. I can't hang feeders for the other birds yet as there are too many starlings here yet. They will soon leave.
Our foliage is just past peak - with many blazing golden maples still hanging on.

Hoping for good weather for all to travel if you must to join friends and family.

Got into the high 60s today with only a mild breeze. A very nice day all around.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It's been spitting snow here off and on over the past few days. I'm not liking it very much!

Nice photos everyone! I especially like the "warm" ones.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Nov 17, 2007 10:45 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Red oak leaves along the bike trail.

early_bloomer

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CST

Mostly Cloudy
Feels Like: 48
Barometer: 30.08 in and rising
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 4 mi
Dewpoint: 46
Sunrise: 6:45 am
Sunset: 5:01 pm

It is overcast and grey here and a little chilly although I can't complain too much since things are supposed to warm up as the day progresses.

Kelli: those photos of the Gardens are lovely
Adina: I love your "Boss". German Shepherds are such beautiful animals. They are loyal and true pets. How is your house progressing?
Deb, I love that "Warm" yellow flower. Is that a black-eyed Susan?
Good leaf photos, E_B
se_eds: our foliage has pretty much faded, too. Seems like it lasted only 2 or 3 days. Our blowing rain storm sent most of the leaves flying the other day. I haven't seen any goldfinches at my thistle feeder yet. Maybe they are still hanging around in your yard! I am sure a flock of them will come through in the next 2 or 3 weeks. We had about a dozen or more robins in our back yard this morning--looking for the worm that the "early bird" catches! LOL Also had a pair of cardinals and some mourning doves but the cardinals and doves are "regulars". They aren't just passing through on their way south.
kiska: I took a look at the aurora website. It is amazing but I am sure it is even more spectacular when viewed "in person" rather than on the web cam.
DH and I spent all day Saturday planting out our two new flowerbeds with plants that we purchased at KMart for 75% off!. We bought two flowering plum trees for just $8.75 each and they were in 7 gallon buckets and were each about 8-10 feet tall. Then we bought a tray of yellow mums in 4 inch pots for just 25 cents each. You would have thought we won the lottery! LOL
Everybody have a great day!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Se_eds: I had the same thought as Marsue. Not a single goldfinch has shown up at my thistle feeder yet. They must all still be up there with you. :) Guess they'll make their was south, eventually.
Marsue: It is some kind of Bl. Eyed Susan; don't know exactly which one, tho.
E_B: Lovely colors. The ground looks a touch icy in that first one.

Back to 'indian summer" again. Got up to 68F today.
Right now, 64.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. West winds around 5 mph this evening...becoming light and variable.
Monday
Mostly cloudy in the morning...then clearing. Highs in the upper 70s. Southwest winds around 5 mph...becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
No rain in the forecast ffor at least the next 5 days.
Deb

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Deb - 86 deg??? WOW. The greater proportion of finches don't leave until the snows come as they have many flower and weed seeds to eat.

Temp 42 this AM, overcast and grey all day. Rain starting about noon time changed to snow by about 2 PM. We now have about an inch on the ground and it is coming down steadily. Temp is currently 32 and the road crews are spraying antiskid.

Deb, gonna send this participation down to you - hope it melts on the way. LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 59(F) - no rain today

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 41%
Wind: 300 (WNW) at 8mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.21in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 30F
Yesterday's High Temp: 53F
Dew Point: 34
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 58
Wind Chill: 58
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 57F
6hr High Temp: 66F

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Se_eds: Thanks! At this point, I'd take that water in liquid, solid, or any other form! :)
I imagine Dyson might, too.
Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Send it !

Nice day here for the most part. High 50s, mild breeze. Gonna get cold here in a few days. Then supposedly rain, possibly snow by thanksgiving.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It's a chilly 33 and Dyson Dark here. We might get a bit of sunshine tomorrow and temps in the 50's midweek before falling back into the 40's by Thanksgiving day.

marsue..........I bought a bunch of roses at 75% off the other day. I got red carpet roses and
some Knockout roses as well as a huge pot that was marked down to $10 from $70.

Photo..........Local late fall colors. Note the buck standing at the edge of the woods.

early_bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.