-
AuthorContent
dragonfly53
(Terri ) South Bosto, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #4199666

I'm trying to find the two items in the pictures at $10.00 or less each. So far the only site I've found them on wants $19.00 each and I just can't spend that much money. Does anyone have a websource for these type of products? I want them in silver metal of any kind as long as they are strong, not something that will wear out as these will carry a lot of weight.

Thanks for any advice,
terri

Thumbnail by dragonfly53
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #4199689

What is it you're using them for?

They look like some sort of nautical hardware. (To me anyway...) Is there a nautical salvage place near you anywhere?

Guess it depends if you want them "pristine looking" or not.
dragonfly53
(Terri ) South Bosto, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #4199749

I'm going to screw them into studs in the ceiling and run a rod through for my hanging plants. I did that a few years ago in another house and it looked great but I can only find brass ones now - they are used for bar rails, I think
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #4200004

OK...I know what you need now. Look in the curtain rod area of HD or Lowes or a window treatment store. I've seen them where they're just made of steel and you can run a 1/2" rod through them. Maybe also try a catalog for Sears or JC Penny in their curtain/drape section.

I did a similar thing with those same brackets and attached them to a block wall, ran 1/2" pvc pipe through them and trained a climbing vine along the pipe. (I sprayed the pipe to match the brick so it didn't stand out.) I spaced them about 4 feet apart and they've held up for over 20 years.
dragonfly53
(Terri ) South Bosto, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2007
6:09 PM

Post #4200278

1/2" rod isn't strong enough, I'm looking to use a 1 1/2 to 2" pole, 10 feet long, that's why I can't use curtain rod hangers.. Big hanging baskets get really heavy, especially when the plants are heavily watered.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

November 16, 2007
7:28 PM

Post #4200547

This may be "out in left field", but you might see if there are some commercial kitchen/restaurant supply outlets near you - especially check for used dealers -auction houses, etc. We have found some great bargains at resale restaurant supply dealers.

They would also handle bar and lounge supplies and equipment.

Another suggestion would be to use plumbing parts - flat flange to attach to the ceiling, short nipples to tees, long nipples between tees. Again, find a plumbing contractor and ask if some used parts are available - you are not going to use them for water or waste lines. if the tees were 3/4 for the short nipple and 1.5 to 2 inch for the pieces between the tees, it should hold a ton. Weak link then would be the screws holding the flange to the ceiling rafters, or the rafters themselves.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America