Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Clean and Clutter-free: Burned on crust on stove top grates, paint, etc.

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 7, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pateo
Philadelphia, PA

November 18, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4205497

I just moved into a new house (new for me, that is), and we spent the other day cleaning (last tenants didn't take very good care of the place and we wanted to scrub it really well). There's a lot of very strange messes around here, but the one bothering me the most are the stove grates. Every inch of them are covered in about a half inch of crusty burnt on grease. I sprayed them with oven cleaner, bleach, everything. I have no clue what will get them clean. The inside of the oven is the same way, every wall is covered in crust. I REALLY don't want to have to get new grates and I'd like to not have the oven untouchable. I read that I could let them sit in ammonia, but the crust is so bad I don't even know if it would make a difference.

Also as a side note for those who have lived in rented places with the weird corners and such with impenetrable dirt.. HOW DO YOU GET RID OF IT? We also have a lot of the tiles and doorknobs covered in paint from the painters being lazy. Is there any way to get it off? Already tried paint thinner.. to no avail. As well as globs of dried grout on the tiles and smeared everywhere?

Thanks so much!
rosewynd
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2007
4:17 AM

Post #4205540

I used one of the little portable steamers to get the dirt up, then bleached everything.

Then, of course, I covered it all with clutter.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2007
5:10 AM

Post #4205653

If the paint is stuck on hard surfaces like tile, I've had good luck scraping it off with a razor blade.

As far as the stove grates--here's a thread where this was already discussed, hopefully you'll find something in here that works http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/644772/
toniwill
Natural Bridge, VA

December 1, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4248847

I was also thinking about a razor blade for paint. It really does work fast on some surfaces!
And the grates--putting them overnite in a plastic bag that zips also works wonders! (that's probably what's in that thread ecrane3 submitted.)
good luck :)
toni
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #4394769

I like Greased Lightning for cleaning stove grates. Let it sit on the burners for a few minutes then it washes away the build up.
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2008
5:00 AM

Post #4666225

I found this solution right here in dave's garden several weeks ago and it WORKS! For stove top grates with burned on grease and food, place each grate in a ziploc bag with about 1/4 cup of ammonia or spray some into the bag and let it sit overnight. The next day the dirt will come off without a fight. Most will just sponge off. Some corner areas may need a little pass with some steel wool but not much elbow grease. I had been looking for a way to get my gray enameled grates clean without bruising my knuckles for years! This really works.

Do a search in Dave's garden for "cleaning stove top grates" and the first thread that comes up is the one I'm talking about.

It's in this forum (Clean and Clutter Free).

This message was edited Mar 15, 2008 12:02 AM

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2008
5:48 AM

Post #4694029

A paste of creme of tartar and vinegar is great for cleaning chrome rims around burners and chrome drip pans (under burners). Thick, burned on crud just comes right off without a struggle.

If things are really bad, here is an idea I read somewhere but haven't tried. For parts that are removable, take them outside and spray them down with oven cleaner. Leave overnight. Read instructions on oven cleaner to be sure you can use it on the types of materials involved.

I've also had success with the ammonia method. The plastic bag sounds great, but if you don't have one large enough, in the past I have put the ammonia and the items to be soaked in the bathtub overnight. Of course, this works best if you have a spare bath. If you have a really large kitchen sink (not stainless steel) you might be able to soak them in there.

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #4694638

This is easy and works for me for burned on grease and crud:

Sprinkle baking soda so it coveres all the mess. Cover that with wet paper towels to keep it moist, leave it overnight. The next morning the white baking soda will be brown with crud that was loosened. Simply take the paper towels and wipe it all down and discard. Repeat as needed for super buildups.

It is even easier the next day if you have some disposable latex or other gloves that you use to wipe stuff down with (available at all drug stores under personal care products); then simply invert the dirty paper towels and crud into a glove as you take it off and toss it in the trash.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America