Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Don't Guess, Soil Test: magnesium

Communities > Forums > Article: Don't Guess, Soil Test
bookmark
Forum: Article: Don't Guess, Soil TestReplies: 5, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rosa18
Bartlett, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #4209822

Hello Paul,

In early fall I had a soil test done. I live in zone 5a Chicago suburbs. My Magnesium levels we're off the charts. I grow 55 roses, all flowered and look well, but I would like to try and correct the magnesium levels. Will sulfur do the trick?
Thanks for any help
Jill

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2007
6:26 PM

Post #4210500

I'm not sure, what was the pH on your test?

Adding sulfur will make it more acidic.
rosa18
Bartlett, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #4213319

My ph was 7.2- Also our water is softened, do you think this add's to the high magnesium levels?
Jill

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #4213812

You're just slightly on the alkaline side, how you adjust the pH will depend on what you want to grow. A little sulfur wouldn't hurt if you're growing roses.

I'm going to do some more checking on the magnesium levels and see if I can find out if they'll disapate on their own.
I'll let you know. BTW did you add epsom salts?

Paul
rosa18
Bartlett, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
1:57 PM

Post #4224649

No, I didn't add any epsom salt, that is why it is so puzzling to me. I know you shouldn't water with softened water, but the bypass is so hard to turn on the softener, so if my husband isn't home to adjust it for me, I just go ahead and water.
I tried to find information on watering with softened water and the effects but I didn't have much luck. Someone advised growing a cover crop to leach out the magnesium, but that would be a big mess in my mind.
Thanks for your help.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #4224656

IWe don't need a water softener but I would think that softened water it would be high in sodium not magnesium.
I'm, still checking into this.

Paul

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Don't Guess, Soil Test Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you Paul Dyson 5 Nov 19, 2007 5:04 PM
soil testing dun1kirk 18 Jun 5, 2013 3:55 PM
Soil Testing telarsteve 1 Nov 20, 2007 11:08 AM
When do I add compost to my soil? SunnyMich 1 Nov 26, 2007 7:30 PM
correcting soil ph wolfbadger 0 Jul 7, 2014 4:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America