-
AuthorContent
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 20, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #4211868

Since this article posted, several folks seemed interested in vintage dinnerware and so here's a thread to show your pieces or collections.
Here's the article:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/230/

With thanksgiving right around the corner I know everyone is getting out that old family set, so while you are dusting it off take a few pics and show us!

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #4212129

This is our "good" china. A Homer Laughin pattern. It is the same as my mother got when she married in 1941. My sister has the original set. We found this at an auction about 10 years ago. I think we have 12 settings + serving pieces.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #4212150

Some of my collection.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #4212155

My wife collects cats.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 20, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #4212214

Hi
How gorgeous! I love the piggies! Are all of those salt and peppers?

I have some of that Homer Laughlin. I buy anything with an HLC on it! Dont have a complete set of any of it thou. Great set! Are you using it for Thanksgiving?

Joyce

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #4212442

Yes, I forgot about them, they are the Smiley pigs.

The dinner here is Sunday, I think it will be out. If it is I will take a pic.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #4212451

Drats!! I only have two patterns left. Two daughters got all my china and my mom's from me. I don't need them but i wish I could take pictures of them for you. Tomorrow I will show you two relatively new patterns by Villeroy and Bach that I use.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2007
3:51 AM

Post #4212491

Not formal, not floral and not too vintage. It is from the 50s.

I started collection of Moroccan amethyst dinnerware in the late 60s. I have always had a passion for purple...

Thumbnail by podster

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 20, 2007
3:57 AM

Post #4212503

Pod
SO beautiful! I have never seen these before. They must be pretty rare and hard to find.
I can see me eating a scoop of french vanilla icecream out that little one !
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #4212513

Good idea on the ice cream. Would look beautiful and make ice cream taste better besides!

I have several sets of china. I just love dishes. We'll use these this year, although for years I've thought we shouldn't really use them anymore. No flowers, but I'm sure I'll make someone jealous. Ha!

Thumbnail by McGlory

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4212572

Cool dishes, I should be able to tell who made them but I am rusty at that stuff now.
I have a couple pieces of the Moroccan amethyst. The color is more intense than your picture captured.
Amazing all the different dishes that were made over the years. Tons of companies & tons of patterns.
Bernie
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #4212611

You should know that one Bernie! Mine's a Red Wing pattern. It's the biggest set I have, but I also have a couple of others. I love Red Wing dinnerware. I'm trying to collect a plate in every pattern - think I'm up to 18 now.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2007
4:47 AM

Post #4212642

I have a few, don't remember what.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2007
5:03 AM

Post #4212672

Yes, I agree ~ the purple is far more intense than that photo. I find it a difficult color to capture.
[quote] My wife collects cats. [/quote] Us too if you mean real ones! LOL

Jadajoy ~ not sure how rare they are. Just people like me that have them stuffed in the cabinets. I had initially hoped they were depression vintage. When I learned otherwise, I said oh well ~ they'll be old before long! LOL

I do like the colored glass and told DH if I hadn't collected purple, I would have liked pink. He said he was glad I collected purple ~ didn't like pink. I also said I should sell mine and he said he would have to buy it then...

McGlory ~ the western dinnerware is all the rage right now as well as all things western. Very cool! I grew up in MN but Red Wing pottery wasn't as common locally in later years. They marketed it far and wide. During the early days, it was crocks, bowls and churns to be used locally as tools.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2007
6:00 AM

Post #4212754

Vintage ? Maybe... This is my Polish china. Bought new in the 70s and I selected a variety of primary colors. We have used it daily all these years. The kids remember it fondly and each had their favorite color. Not so elegant but cheerful...

Thumbnail by podster

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 20, 2007
10:11 AM

Post #4212903

Podster--that would display well with some Fiesta, also would go well in a southwestern themed Kitchen.
[quote]oh well ~ they'll be old before long! LOL [/quote] LOL!

McGlory, Yes I am Jealous! Lovely! The only Red Wing I own are the ashtray shown and the platter. They made some interesting pieces. Would like to see more.

This ash tray sits on a little table and makes a bold statement just by its shape.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 20, 2007
10:13 AM

Post #4212905

This platter say true red wing china

It has some condition issues but I use it on my dresser to hold bobby pins and change ( am I the only one who still uses bobby pins :-)

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 20, 2007
10:15 AM

Post #4212906

Here are some Rooster platters in keeping with Thanksgiving.

This one is Harkerware. I'll show the other Harkerware set I have later. I love the cameo effect on these dishes.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 20, 2007
10:17 AM

Post #4212907

Here is a Metlox platter. Thrift store find. $5.00.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2007
12:18 PM

Post #4212998

Oh boy ~ Metlox. I have a set of Metlox bowls that I love. They have tiny blue flowers around the border. 2nd hand store too. 8 )

I agree, the rooster platter is delightful. Is the pattern in the finish or is it in relief?
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #4213978

My mother had the entire set of Metlox rooster dinnerware. She used it for everyday. It chipped up badly and all that's left is the coffee server and a big serving bowl. The pattern is painted under the glaze, but the dots on the edge can be quite thick and sometimes stick up, if I recall correctly.

I love Hall's poppy line. Joyce, I'll try to remember to look up your Red Wing pattern this weekend. It's not a pattern I have, but I recognize it as one of the dinnerware lines.
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

November 21, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #4215618

I collect Depression glass. Have over a dozen sets. Used to have more but have been selling it off. My wife collects the hand made Elegant glass by Fostoria, and she has several sets. We use a Blue Ridge China pattern for every day. Also have several other sets of Blue Ridge. LOL. But have sold off a lot of my Blue Ridge. Just sold a Franciscan set on ebay. Oh my.
Will probably use the green Cameo pattern Depression glass for Thanksgiving. Set on a yellow cloth, really is stunning. That set has a lot of serving pieces which you need for a Thanksgiving dinner. Harold
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2007
6:36 AM

Post #4216244

Boy, and I thought I was a dish collector! I have 3 sets and a lot of odd pieces. You guys make me look like a piker. I really like the Moroccan purple, no matter what the date is. I like lots of the others as well. My MIL has a set of Franciscan she got from her aunt. My mil is 87. She has lots of lovely old stuff from her family.
My parents families were very poor and had very little to leave to anyone, but my husband's family, while not rich, collected lots of dishes and furniture. Nice stuff.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #4216433

Certain pieces of dinnerware "speak" to me. This old bowl and platter were picked up separately and the bowl has been with me almost 40 years now. The platter was found later. I use them both and am always looking for a match to these pieces. Love them...

Thumbnail by podster

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 21, 2007
12:59 PM

Post #4216529

McGlory
The rooster is indeedpainted unde the galze and the dots around th edges do stick up prominently. I only have this one piece. I would love to see some of the other pieces.
I'm not familiar with Hall's poppy but I like their cookie jars.

Harold--Blue Ridge is a flower lovers delight. All different kinds on each peice. Saw a stack of plates just yesterday in a thrift but they were all chipped so i left them. But they were very pretty. Depression glass table setting sounds elegant! Do show pics.

pajaritomt- My mom was a thrift store shopper and I think thats where I get my habit of like you, picking up odd pieces. I 'm not organized enough to try to collect whole sets. I just love the individual pieces I find and try to use them for different things like in the bathroom or bedrooms.

Pod- Those would have spoke to me too. Love them! Who made them? Have you tried Replacements.com,? They have just about anything in dishes you can imagine. It'd be nice to have more of those. They are gorgoeus.

Joyce

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #4216559

Jadajoy ~ they are Porcelaine Royale Pitcairns Limited ~ Tunstall, England Mostyn. Thanks for appreciating them too. I haven't looked there but will peruse their site when I have some time. After all, the search is part of the fun!

This is the Halls red poppy pattern. I am sure you have seen it around. This casserole was a Christmas present from my MIL. In her later years she would gift me her antique pieces saying she knew I was the only one that cared about them. Her 3 DDs had no interest in "old". I was thoroughly appreciative! In the Halls pattern around here the only one I see is the Autumn leaves ~ but not sure if that is the correct name. This piece can be used as a casserole, a serving dish and the lid can be inverted for a pie plate. Seems she told me these were a grocery store premium...

Thumbnail by podster

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 21, 2007
2:08 PM

Post #4216811

Pod--Those two pieces look so delicate, figures they are fine china from England. Lovely.

Red Poppy is nice. Yes, the Autumn pattern is pretty common, that one is quite different. What a versatile piece. I agree "old" stuff is the best! I like multi use functional kitchen items. Do you use it? It looks to be in perfect condition. Someone told me they were Jewel Tea. Was that a store?

The only casserole bowl I have is this one by Universal. The good thing about these is they go from oven to frig and serving also.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 21, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #4216823

Here's a functional piece I got from Goodwill. It has the tea strainer attached to the lid. I wish I could find more of these.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #4216835

I think Jewel Tea was a company that gave out Hall's Autumn Leaf pattern. It was a wildly popular pattern, available in stores, but you could get free pieces by sending in boxtops or some such similar thing into the Jewel Tea company. Pieces that came from Jewel Tea are marked as such along with the Hall mark. Pieces purchased individually don't have the Jewel Tea mark.

I think... It's been a long time since I had anyone to talk dishes with. :-) That's a cutie of a teapot, jada. Don't you just love the great Good Will finds?
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 21, 2007
2:35 PM

Post #4216931

McGlory
What a nice slice of history. You should do a story on them :-)

You are so right! I used to have a little booth in an antique mall and it was pretty large. There was always some knowledgeable person in there to talk to about this stuff. But that seems like ages ago and I have probably forgotten more stuff than I remember. I just have the few pieces I couldn't part with ( a closet full) and i still thrift shop but try not to accumulate more stuff than I can keep because I dont sell anymore. ( I've learned to say no :-)

Every now and then I'll splurge if I think its worth it but my collecting days are behind me
except for books. ( A girls gotta have some fun :-)

I know you must have some wonderful items...come on... show us that McCoy collection...

Joyce

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2007
2:43 PM

Post #4216960

You and podster keep starting the threads, Joyce, and we can talk dishes and pottery for a long time!

The McCoy is sort of spread out including some in boxes. I'll keep taking pictures along and put them on the other thread.

Maybe this weekend I can take pictures of each of my Red Wing dinner plates. I can identify all the patterns, and I can try to identify yours too. If you all are interested, stay tuned...
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 21, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #4217187

Did I miss something? Theres another thread?
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #4217210

Didn't you see podster's mini collection thread? I'm sure you did. That's where some McCoy is. :-)

This is the dinnerware thread.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #4217255

I didn't even know this thread was here! How could I have missed the love of my life?! Thank you for giving me this link. Will take awhile but I will try to take some pictures. Probably take an entire thread because I have been at this a long, long time. Is there a "Dishes Anonymous"?

Christi
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 21, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #4217449

Hi Lou! By all means, Show us all of it :-)

McGlory No, I hadnt seen it till you mentioned it. Great thread!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #4217458

There is no such thing as Dishes Anonymous, I'm sure. Who would want to join some lousy organization that didn't let you collect dishes? LOL!
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4218489

I didn't even know there was a thread like this on DG! Don't get me started...

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #4218577

Oh, yes! Get started!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #4218593

This is DH collection. Haven't purchased anything in years because we over 200 pieces. Every specialized piece you can imagine. It took two very large tubs to pack it away. Tired of dusting. Cat Tail decal. In the very early 50's Sears even had a table and all kitchen linens with this pattern on it.

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #4218598

This is only the beginning.

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #4218604

Just thought I would throw in a little extra something. This DH and I on one of better days.

Thumbnail by LouC

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 22, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #4218612

Beth
I can so relate to putting plants in my kitchenware. They make the nicest pots! Love the 50's stars pattern. Forget what it is called.

LouC-- you know I love Cattail!!!!! My next article festures it. More More More!
What are those pieces in the top left? Looks like tumblers???/
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #4218618

whoops...later...wheel is on
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 22, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #4218619

Y'all look like my kind of folks!!!! LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #4218623

They are. Cost a small fortune each. One of the last purchases.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #4221383

Yes, McGlory is right ~ it was Jewel T which was a tea company I believe. Should have remembered MIL telling me that! Duh! Sometimers disease here ~ sometimes I remember and sometimes I forget...
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

November 23, 2007
4:47 AM

Post #4221413

Jewel Tea Company was a door to door sales type business. I remember my mother used to buy from the salesman that came around. They offered among other premiums, the Autumn Leaf pattern made by Hall China. But she must not have bought much because all I remember her having was the set of Autumn Leaf mixing bowls. Harold
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 23, 2007
9:51 AM

Post #4221653

LouC... What a beautiful set. Please show a close up of the tumblers. I have never seen those.
In Jo Cunninghams "American Dinnewear" there are several ads that show the line but theses are not in those ads, they must be very rare. I wish I could scan the pic but dont have a flat top scanner, anyway one of them features a 46 piece matching set for $23.89. Thats the one you mentioned with the table and 4 chairs made out of solid oak and a 32 piece dinner set . The table and chairs alone were 18.98 so the dinnerware set must have been under $5.00. This was in 1941 from the Sears Catalogue. I'm sure you already know all this owning over 200 pieces You must have the definitive collection! I think what appeals to me is the chinese red coloring. I dont think see this color too much anymore. Do you use any of the peices?

HaroldS-- I think thats the story I was told, that they came door to door. Thanks for the info. I guess they were like the Fuller Brush Company. Lots of door-to-door salesman back then.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2007 5:11 AM
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 23, 2007
10:14 AM

Post #4221663

Here is a set I got off ebay some years ago. It is a Mexican design that I collect and also has the red coloring on ivory.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2007
1:48 PM

Post #4221822

Oh wow! What pattern is that?

Harold's Jewel T explanation sounds right. It's amazing how stories you haven't thought about can morph themselves into not-quite-right in a few years.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2007
2:15 PM

Post #4221881

I'm as old as the dishes. hhahah. was born in 1941, six weeks before Pearl Harbor. No embedded media in those days. My dad was gone 4 years. We didn't know where he was for 28 months. Everthing was highly coded and secret.

I distintcly remember the Jewel Tea man, as it was called. He had what was called a step-van in those days. One car in a family was rare. Two didn't happen at all. No autos were made during the war. Every piece of metal went to the war effort. Women even took their extra pots and pans to a collection area to be donated to be melted down. Jewel Tea's main thrust was the non-perishable side of the grocery isles. Also something that was pretty new, prepared mixes such as cornbread, biscuit (about the same time bisquick came on the scene), cake mix, spices in little tins, of course, coffee and tea. The Hall's dishes were a special item. Because of no personal transportation we also had "Manor Bakers" the bread man, carried all kinds of sweets as well. Most exotic offering of bread was *wheat*. Choice of white or wheat. Only one style of slice. Then there was the "Borden Co." , the milkman, milk, orange juice, eggs, cottage cheese. Lots of woolen clothes that had to be dry cleaned and the cleaners picked up and delivered. "Watkins Man" with all kinds of spices and still the best vanilla in the world. And when I first married in 1961 all of these services were still available. We even bought fresh eggs from someone that delivered from his own chickens once a month. Didn't have to worry about the food chain then.

Joyce,

We are going to MIL today for our Thanks-Giving feast. One of those trade-offs yesterday allowing other members of the family to participate with their family. Lots of things you will love. Maybe tomorrow I can get my camera to going. I have another set of Mexican design that I have never been able to find in 30 years of collecting. Also have a couple of pieces of your pattern.

This is sooo much fun.

Christi

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 23, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #4222085

McGlory-I know what you mean. Its like that game where you get in a circle and whisper something to the person next to you and they whisper it to someone else and by the time it gets around the circle its turned into something else entirely! I think thats what happens to our memories over time.

I dont know the name of that Mexican Pattern its just marked "Cavitt-Shaw" with a number. Maybe when LouC comes back she'll know.

LouC--How I Love all that history! I was born in 1957 and remember the ice man and the fruit wagon that came in the summers. There was a man my mother bought clothes and kitchen stuff from but I dont know what company he was with. There was also the coal truck that hitched a chute to the basement of the building and ran black coal to the furnace.We were always glad to see those people when they came and looked forward to it. Except, for some reason the insurance man. I guess paying on that policy was an extra bill my mother sometimes avoided.

Have fun today. I forgot to ask about your visit with Shari. Are pics posted somewhere? I'm excited to see more of your collections!

Joyce
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #4222112

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/790570/

Visit with Shari. Wish it were still in the future and not in the past. That's ok.
We'll find a way somehow. Have really missed her not being on the pc. She won't get back to Kwaj until Dec.6
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

November 23, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #4222529

Cavitt-Shaw was a division of W. S. George Pottery Company. Lois Lehner says in her book U.S. Marks on Pottery that that mark was used in the late 1930's and possibly 1940's. And Jo Cunningham in her American Dinnerware says Cavitt-Shaw Division did not prove to be successful. The "S" in W. S. George is Shaw, and it is believed Cavitt was another family name. I don't think I've ever come across a Cavitt-Shaw mark. Looking on ebay shows some interesting patterns. Looking on ebay also shows pottery double marked Royal China and Cavitt-Shaw. I believe I read somewhere that Royal used a W.S. George factory at one time. I don't know why W.S. George has never become a major collectible while Hall and Homer Laughlin are. Mexican theme pottery is very desirable. Yours is very nice Jada. Harold (
p.s. Royal China's Currier & Ives pattern is another big set of mine. It was made for so long that there are many interesting and difficult pieces to look for. They are also very sturdy dishes and we use them when we eat outside. They were given away by A & P at one time. I'm looking for an A & P brochure on this pattern if anyone runs across one. Anyone else collect Currier & Ives? There is a National club that puts out a wonderful newsletter and has a yearly convention. )
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 23, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #4222829

Wow Harold! Thanks for identifying the company. I had wondered about them for some time now. You just renewed my interest in finding some more of their pottery. I have come across a few pieces of Currier and Ives but only the teacup saucers and the small bowls.That must make for interesting searching as there are so many patterns. It would display beautifully. I'll be on the lookout for a brochure or ad. Do you have pics?

It true Homer Laughlin and others have become collectible and some, with just as nice work, hasnt. Like the Edwin Knowles Co. which has a lovely Mexican line and also Paden City which made a solid color dinnerware just as nice as Fiesta. I'll try to get pics of some of these other collectibles but for now I have this one plate by Homer Laughlin that I really like. Its marked "Genesee"

This message was edited Nov 23, 2007 3:26 PM

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 23, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #4222834

The numbers on the mark are filled in but I think its 22 or 32 L

Thumbnail by jadajoy

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #4223606

Tried to get a picture of the back and it the camera just makes a glare.
"THE EDWIN M KNOWLES CHINA CO. UNION MADE IN U.S.A.38-8 with a ship with two sails in the middle.
Have:
4 luncheon plates
4 saucers
4 cups
4 berry bowls
3 small platters
1 gravy boat
1 cream pitcher

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #4223612

same set. decals are on both sides of cup, gravy, and creamer

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #4223618

only these 4 pieces of this set. the cup and saucer are demitasse

back:

semi vitreous inside of a picture of a vase
EDWIN M KNOWLES CHINA CO. MADE IN U. S. A. 41-6

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #4223624

This half of a two piece stove top set. Holds a pint.

ROYAL TRICO

Hand decorated
Nagoya-Japan

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #4223628

You can see one side is flat to accomodate another piece. On the lid are 5 little brush strokes that represent birds in flight.

Thumbnail by LouC

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #4223649

Are you done yet? Say NO! We have the same taste in collecting. Its unbelievable :-)

I'm so excited to see all this.
First. I have a platter from your first set.
Of your second set I have 5 or 6 dinner plates. Heres a close up of the decal. Dont you just love them :-0
I havent been looking for more pieces in years and think I might just start again. There are so many Mexican decals it would be fun to get some of each. I think Homer Laughlin had about 4 0r 5 alone. Edwin Knowles are equally pretty to me.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #4223680

Have never seen that type of stove top set. Of course I covet it for its chinese red accents!
and its so art deco.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2007 8:27 PM

Thumbnail by jadajoy

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #4223722

Joy, this is only the beginning. Happens to be all of the Mexican motif that I could take pictures of pretty quickly tonight. I have 6 berry bowls, not 4. Purchased this at an estate sale here in our little town at least 20 years ago for all of $2.00. Have never seen another piece exactly like it. I, too, had a booth in a junktique mall about 12-13 years ago. Lasted 4 years. It was intended to cull my collections. HA! Just added to. We literally had a truck load of granite and Polish metalwear. Our son lives in Tulsa and wanted to know if he could have it. He had a new house so we filled the motorhome and took off. Filled one entire side of his 3 car garage and didn't even take it all. He was astounded. Had no idea what he had asked for and was hollering "uncle". hahaha
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #4223735

Harold, I have 2 Currier and Ives hurricane lamps I got at a garage sale a couple years ago. Neither has the original clear glass shade but one does have the original decorative shade.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #4223737

Forgot, I used to have an extensive collection of oil lamps. Gave them to my son-in-law. Be careful, these days, if you say you like it, it may be yours.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #4223740

I have several of them. I do like them and wish I had more but have no place to put them.
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

November 24, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #4223802

Pepper - that's neat! I've never seen one. I'm curious about the decorative shade. Can you post a picture? Thanks, Harold
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #4223809

I have to replace the part that lets me download on here first. Then I can post pics.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #4223927

I have a book that lists the top 500 dinnerware patterns of the 20th century. The only ones of the ones you people have talked about in there is the single rooster, called "California Provincial" & "Red Rooster" (variation in edge color.), Desert Rose, Currier & Ives, & of course Fiesta.

There are a number of Christmas patterns. Does anyone have any ?

I have lots of dinnerware, but don't have a clue as to patterns. I know I have Fiesta & a number of Haviland pieces. Also lots of Homer Laughin.

This is my booth at an antique show in March of 2006.

Bernie

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #4223966

Gosh Bernie. That looks pretty. You need to take some closer shots so we can see your pretty things. :-) Take us on a tour! :-)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #4223984

Closer maybe.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #4223989

Did I mention I accumulate depression glass. That is I buy it figuring on reselling, but that doesn't happen often.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4223993

I stumbled into this thread and am enjoying the plate collections. I wanted crown molding in my dining room, and when DH procrastinated, I nailed painted plates all around the ceiling. He was less than thrilled...but I still haven't gotten that molding , so plates are staying till I do! I'd photog 'em, but then I'd have to dust...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #4223996

One of my favorite pieces. It's a carnival called "Peacock Tail".

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #4224015

Great photos Bernie! Thanks for sharing. You have a wonderful collection, as do the rest of you all.

Bigbubbles, having a trim carpenter for a husband was the only way I managed to get the trim up in my house. It's an ongoing project around here. He scavenges it from jobs that he's worked on. Was able to "collect" enough here and there to do 3 rooms and our hallway with both crown and base. That updates a home so much and increases the value. Of course, that doesn't have a thing to do with vintage dinnerware. :-)

Show us your plates. We don't mind a little dust.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
3:53 AM

Post #4224041

Oh, I have it in the other rooms, but it took a lot of whining. The dining room has a vent at the ceiling and it's supposedly the problem. I think he could just go around it...or move it. I'll see if I can snap a couple pics...plates and cobwebs...
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

November 24, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4224067

Here is a picture of hand tinted under glaze Royal China Currier & Ives pattern. No records when these were made, and not very many sets have surfaced. They are normal blue & white Currier & Ives but some color added by hand before being glazed and fired. Probably the hand work required was too costly. No one knows how many pieces were done this way but I have quite a few, but no teapot, casserole, those kind of pieces.

Thumbnail by HaroldS

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:15 AM

Post #4224105

Stood on a chair and held camera above my head...not so great pics. I'll start with just a few...this one has the webs too!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:16 AM

Post #4224110

And next...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #4224114

should stop..not good photos...but...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:20 AM

Post #4224120

will skip to basket collection...and more painted plates

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4224125

two more shelves...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #4224132

more glass "stuff"

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:26 AM

Post #4224135

dust catchers

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #4224137

Awesome collection BB. Love those painted plates.

Janet
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #4224140

plate...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:30 AM

Post #4224145

Did you paint them, or know the artist? They are all so pretty!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:32 AM

Post #4224151

Thanks Janet...my aunt collected them. Tried to give them to me long time ago, but I told her the only antique in my house was going to be me. Then she died and left me all her things she'd collected. I "put it out, then put it up" quite a bit. Just too much stuff...so I rotate.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #4224153

We must have cross posted. No, I don't know any of the artists...I think they all are in Heaven by now...
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:34 AM

Post #4224154

plate

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007

Post #4224156

child's plate

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007

Post #4224159

'nother

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:38 AM

Post #4224163

She had (and now you have) a wonderful collection. You are very lucky to have them. I wonder if perhaps she knew who the artist was. They are all so well done. Your displays of glass is really pretty too.

About this time last year, we'd gone out to my neighbor's new home so hubby could put some trim in it. I just went along to help Kathy unpack some of her things. She has a wonderful antique place in one of the malls. I hadn't been inside of her living room in the old house so didn't know what I was in for. All I saw when we got there were rubbermaid tubs full of bubblewrap. Each waybigo tub had gorgeous glass pieces, much like you have there, in every color of the rainbow. She had really pretty cabinets that were lit up like yours to show them off. I wish it had been night time when we loft so I could have seen it at night. We finished putting away all of those tubs of glass about the time hubby finished up his job. It was so much fun, seeing her cabinets come to life with colors all in the space of a few hours. I wish I'd had my camera with me. They've moved way out in the country, quite a distance from us now.

Janet

This message was edited Nov 23, 2007 10:40 PM
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #4224187

Great Pics folks! Love depression glass.
Harold --that certainly is different. I've never seen it with the coloring, just blue and white and maybe green and white if I remember correctly. Those must be the originals.Very nice! Must be very, very hard to find.

Pepper--I'd be interested in seeing those lamps also.

LouC--- heres something I know you will like. I got these in the 80's. They had these two and I bought one and went back the next day to get the other! They are made in Japan but I havent seen many others. They have five different parts--- sugar, creamer, pot, underplate and lid. And of course they have the chinese red!

Thumbnail by jadajoy

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
4:53 AM

Post #4224198

Guess I'm done...won't accept anymore pics... Was trying to get to the vent pic! Maybe tomorrow...
We had boxes of Depression glass my aunt had collected...all colors and nearly full sets. Decided to have a garage sale and pare down few yrs ago. I checked out some antique pricing books at the library and whatever the book said a piece was worth, I marked each piece half of that. Day of the sale, we were swamped...and no one wanted it by the piece. They wanted the whole sets. We were such novices...
This is the same aunt that suggested I start collecting something when I married. Okay...I decided to collect pewter...until I learned how expensive it was. Just to annoy her, I told her I had decided to collect egg beaters! Showed her one I bought for 25 cents, and forgot about it. She started picking them up at sales and antique shops. I have a box of egg beaters...all kinds...probably over 50 in the attic...
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
4:58 AM

Post #4224208

Sorry we cross posted!

Those are awesome plates bubbles! Are any of them marked? They look like some I've seen on the Antiques Roadshow. Made to be decorative. So, so pretty! I particularly like the Felix plate. Thats an early rendition of him for sure. Egg beaters, huh. I think you should dust them off, they are going for a pretty penny these days.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
5:03 AM

Post #4224213

Janet, we posted at same time again! My aunt planned to have an antique shop when she retired so she kept buying things. We were living in Hawaii and she came to visit. We took her to the other islands and she got bitten by the travel bug. Went home and started selling off her really good pieces. Took trips to the Orient, Mid East, Greece, etc. She really enjoyed herself...and those pieces paid for her trips.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
5:15 AM

Post #4224225

Joyce, I'll check marks tomorrow...my eyes are crossing now!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
5:16 AM

Post #4224226

Here are some much overlooked collectible pottery that I think are just as nice as Fiesta. They are Paden City Caliente. I have 5 dinner plates and 6 bowls and some small bread and butters. They are commonly found in orange and cobalt blue.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
5:44 AM

Post #4224257

Caliente in Pink. I love the little side tabs.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
5:45 AM

Post #4224262

LuRay Sugar bowl with the definitive finial

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
5:47 AM

Post #4224265

Edwin Knowles Yorktown. I only have a few pieces of these, the dinner plates. They have neat tabs also.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
5:49 AM

Post #4224267

Homer Laughlin Mexican. Dont know which mexican pattern this is.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
5:52 AM

Post #4224271

Homer Laughlin Nesting Bowls with Mexican pattern

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
6:00 AM

Post #4224278

More tomorrow...good night.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
12:35 PM

Post #4224496

Morning all ~ Bigbubbles I love your plate collection! When talking about crown moulding, I could see a plate rack moulding to display all these beautiful plates instead.

Countrygardens and all of you, I would love to rummage thru your displays ~ just beautiful.

LouC ~ sounds like my Mom. Am scared to comment on anything at her house, she will give it to me! My home already looks like a packrat lives here.

This is not the class of the beautiful glass shown here.

The Metlox bowl set ~ that I use daily...

Thumbnail by podster

HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

November 24, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #4224857

Jada - you have LuRay too! That used to sell real well, but no longer, for me anyway out here. I have a box full of it somewhere. Really sets a great Spring or Easter table. Harold
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #4225037

I am sooo hooked. This winter while our gardens are sleelping, we will just have to do dishes. hahaha The more I roam DG, the more convinced I am that a *convention* is in order. We would probably have to book the hotels for at least a month in order to cover even half the interests we have in common. Got to get my camera warmed up. If you haven't posted on the convention/conference threads, please do.

Christi
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #4225063

I am taking a short break from taking photos of my Red Wing dinnerware patterns. Shall I start a new Red Wing thread, or do you want 22 pictures on this one? ;-)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #4225181

Whatever your little heart desires!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #4225310

Well, here goes nothin'! This first one is Bob White, which is the same shape and has the same shaped serving pieces as the Roundup pictured somewhere above. I need a lid for the big casserole that I broke. :-(

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #4225316

This one is Brittany, I think. There are four patterns this same shape, three of which have the same pattern only different colored large flower. Orleans looks just like this only with a yellow flower. I may have trouble remembering names, and I can't seem to locate my book. All of these are Red Wing, the same company that made the crocks.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #4225320

This one is Capistrano. See the swallow in the bottom lefthand corner?

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:55 PM

Post #4225322

This is an early '60's one, Crazy Rhythm. It has a more oval shape to the dinner plate.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #4225326

This is Damask. Not hard to tell it's later '60's is it? Uglier than most.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #4225329

I can't for the life of me remember the name of this one. Maybe it's something simple like "Fruit." The plate is pink, and the square shape of the plates was used in a lot of patterns in the '50's. All pieces of the square-shaped are hand-painted.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #4225334

Another square one. This is Lanterns. I had some soup bowls with ears in this pattern too, but don't know where they went. How do I lose stuff like that? Boxes in the basement maybe? Hmmm...

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #4225338

This is Lotus. It's a cheaper pattern, because very easy to find around here. The serving pieces are a darker brownish gray. How's that for a color description? LOL

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #4225339

This is another cheap pattern, Magnolia. Serving pieces are chartreuse, but occasionally you can find them in gray. Tones the set down with gray serving pieces as opposed to the chartreuse ones. I had an entire set of this once, but gave most away.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:01 PM

Post #4225340

This is another oval shaped one. I think it's called Montemarc or something like that. I could be wrong.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #4225344

This is Morning Glory in pink. Also produced with blue flowers.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #4225347

This is Normandy. It's the same shape as the Brittany shown above,

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #4225350

I don't remember the name of this one. It was Red Wing's answer to Fiesta and other similar brightly-colored patterns, but came out way too late to have any impact on the marketplace. There are other colors, turquoise, I believe, being one of them.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:07 PM

Post #4225353

This is another '60's pattern, one of the last ones produced before the company shut its doors. The serving pieces were rather modular-looking. Pattern name is Pepe.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #4225356

This one is Pink Spice. Isn't it pretty? It's the same shape as Capistrano shown above. For both those patterns, a bumpy texture is present.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #4225360

This is Pompeii. It's the same shape as Pepe, two post above, and is one of the last patterns produced by Red Wing.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #4225366

This was the first pattern, that isn't really a pattern. It was Red Wing's intoduction into dinnerware, and they called it Provencial Oomph. Provencial Oomph is frequently confused with Village Green or Village Brown which were later patterns featuring the same color of green. Village Green and Village Brown were ribbed on the bottom. Provencial Oomph is not, and the shape is different.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #4225371

This is the back side of the Provencial Oomph shown above. See how it's smooth, and there is no mark? Village Brown will be ribbed. Village Green is green on the back.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:12 PM

Post #4225374

This is Random Harvest, the same shape as the other lines with oval dinner plates. This one was quite popular.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:14 PM

Post #4225376

Tampico is the same shape. The Tampico pattern was more expensive to produce, having the most brushstrokes (over 60) of any of the lines. The more brushstrokes in the handpainting, the more expensive to produce.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #4225379

Another of the square shapes, Water Lily.

Thumbnail by McGlory

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #4225383

I think I missed Lute Song. I have a service for four of this pattern, only missing a few serving pieces.

And thus ends today's lesson on Red Wing dinnerware. :-)

I must go through some boxes in the basement. I know a few patterns are missing. I am collecting a dinner plate in all patterns, and hopefully someday I'll make it. I used to have Iris, a pattern in the square shape, but I gave it to my sister who loves Iris. Another will come along.

Thumbnail by McGlory

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #4225384

Got a RedWing salad bowl for wedding present in 1961. Very odd shape, sort of oval and very deep. Makes it easy to toss a salad. It is at my DD where she uses it frequently. I have a blue RedWing tea pitcher that I bought at Tues. Morning just last year for $4.99. They had them in 3 colors. Have no idea what the deal is. Someone has apparently purchased the label and is reproducing which would make them much less valuable. This is a darker grey blue. Doubtful it was one of the original colors.

Christi
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #4225385

My bowl has the same finish as your last plate, as did a lot of the dishes. Probably made it without a pattern so it would match the majority of the sets.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #4225406

Love seeing those Red Wing plates...Great for identifying. I'm gonna go thru some boxes too... I'm sure there's something with Bob White on it, probably others I thought were only good for sitting under pots...
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #4225473

Oh
That was such a treat! Thanks for showing those. Its a wonderful collection.
I am trying to grow some Chinese lantern plants and particularly liked the lantern plate. I never saw it on a plate before. I am going to have to find one of those. And the Montmarc is gorgeous! I did not know Red Wing made such beautiful dinnerware. Mostly what I see around here is the Bob White and it was great seeing other stuff especially with the info you provided.

A lot of older dinnerware is being reproduced like the Franciscan and the Fiesta of course. Hopefully it makes the originals more valuable if the differences are noted.

LouC --where is the convention info?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #4225520

This old platter has seen better days, but I loved that I could identify it from an article/ with pic that was taped to the back of it! Said the pattern was Melbourne, made by Gildea and Walker on Aug.27, 1881...the first yr the co. was in business. The Eng. manuf. was only in business for 5 yrs...Depicts the journey of Columbus...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #4225529

BB What a treasure you have! Great piece of history. Probably very valuable if you ever got it appraised.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #4225531

Nah...I think whoever owned it, enjoyed using it, has many knife marks on it!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #4225533

This is some Blue Willow to brighten my kitchen.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #4225535

I've seen pictures of your platter, bubbles, but never seen one live and in person. Everything on your bookshelf looks interesting.

LouC, does your big bowl have a wavy rim rather than just being flat? If it's flat, it's part of the line that Lute Song comes from. If it's higher on two ends and dips down between, it's part of the line that Roundup and Bob White came from. Yes, a few of those larger pieces were made to go with either pattern. You can find that big bowl with a Bob White painted on it, but it's pretty rare.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
7:56 PM

Post #4225559

Thanks, McGlory...wish my DH felt the same! He thinks I have "too many things to see." I figure as long as I dust 'em, they should stay. I like the little things...children's toys, mugs, old boxes, book ends, just gegaws, I guess. All came from Aunt's stuff...she collected a bit of everything. I keep them in the gameroom, where I can appreciate them...and annoy husband.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #4225684

McGlory...could you identify the pattern of this little child's tea set? I've looked in books and never seen it. Was a Xmas gift yrs ago from aunt. I think I have 4 c&s & plates. Thought it would be fun to keep for having tea with granddaughter...but 'she' turned out to be a 'he!' ...And he's all boy!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #4225736

Oh,oh,oh. I'm hyperventilating. Have no idea the pattern, but I love it. It appears to be ironstone. Cannot tell that well from the picture but creamer looks to have a thick wall.

you're really lucky to have such a good aunt.

Christi
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #4225755

What is the child riding? Hang in there! You may get a granddaughter yet. :-) I haven't seen anything like that, that I recall.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #4225773

She has her arm around a big dog. The back of the pieces are stamped...Charles Allerton & Sons...England. (I should have posted that before)
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #4225844

Christ, I think it is ironstone...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #4225947

http://www.thepotteries.org/ware/allerton/index.htm

Yay! Found it. Sort of...shows a plate with the same decal in brown. If you google Charles Allerton & Sons Mason English Ironstone you will find several sites. I'm going to keep on until I find your tea set. circa 1890. Just look at the kilns. Marvelous to think you have pieces that were fired there.

Christi

This message was edited Nov 24, 2007 4:39 PM
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #4226049

Christi...that's it! I can't believe it! I used to look for it everytime I saw a new antique book. Never found it. Thank you so much for tracking it down. I'm just tickled! Guess I won't let that lil' boy have a tea party with it anytime soon! This thread has made me start thinking about climbing around in the attic again...Thanks again!

The mark on the back is the same...crown on a pillow..and it's in brown

This message was edited Nov 24, 2007 5:31 PM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #4226087

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/childhoodantiques/item/AA686?yc=1

This is not the same decal but it is the same set. From a dealer in England. Don't know what the dollar exchange is but it is 475 pounds there. Pretty exciting. No I don't think I would "play" with it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #4226094

It says 475 US dollars. Childs sets are always in demand.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #4226108

Thanks to both of you! No, it was a gift, and I love it. But I really am excited to know a little history about another thing I have to dust!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #4226109

Dusting is highly overrated.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #4226138

You're so right! I'm having so much fun here. Too much football, rain, and leftovers today. So I turned on computer. Have spent waaayyy too much time on Dave's...but probably justified my membership fee today...
A little bit of my 'dusty friends.' And where the "no longer mystery tea set" sits...(thanks to Christi!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #4226197

I can see right now, we haven't even scratched the surface at your house. Come on everyone. Surely you're not through.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4226288

Sorry, glory, forgot to answer about the RedWing bowl. It is sort of oblong...but not really. A little *taller* on opposite ends. Wow. What a non description.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 26, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #4229149

Table never got set as there was to big of a crowd. This is after the meal, plates are washed and waiting to be put back in the hutch.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2007
4:13 AM

Post #4229928

Looks like nice family group. Aren't you going to leave the china out for Christmas? Will be a pain to get it out again... Looks like you've already starting decorating...I see Santas!!!!! ...and lots of grandbabies pics...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 26, 2007
4:46 AM

Post #4230013

Decorating is done, inside & out. More family.

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 26, 2007
2:36 PM

Post #4230777

CountryGarden
Such a wonderful dinner set! I like the shape on those. Sounds like you are way ahead of the game. Wish I was so organized. How do you do it? Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful family!

I dont have many Christmas plates just some barnyard animal ones that are good for Thanksgiving. Maybe someone will come along and post some. I do have some enamel ware I need to take pics of and a collection of nesting bowls I'll get to later. Please show more of your plates and family.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #4230839

2nd pic looks like everyone's had plenty turkey...and watching football game!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2007
4:52 AM

Post #4233785

Okay Christi...here's another section of dust catcher bookcases

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #4233796

and last one...nite, nite...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2007
5:17 AM

Post #4233830

Boy oh boy ~ who wouldn't love to plunder in your treasure shelves! How fun...
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #4234423

Bigbubbles, I love the Carnation tin and the marshmallows too. I used to have a couple of Campfire marshmallow tins. You have some neat things, like the butter mold, Planters peanut man and do I see Hummel figurines?

Susan
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #4237621

Pod...tha's just scratching the surface of all the junk I have...stuffed away...

Rag...thanks and yes, those are my Hummels that were gifts from my aunt when I was in grade school. I never appreciated them then, would have rather had a toy at that age. Have a lot of tins that she collected, but I had to restrain myself. If I had a big 'country kitchen', I would have 'em everywhere. I like the little children's toys the best...especially the wringer washing machine,.. next to the electric stove.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2007
2:19 PM

Post #4238705

My DH asked if I was going to post all of my collections. Told him, didn't think so. Christmas is coming up and we don't have time to see that many pictures. hahaha. Love yours, bubbles.
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #4443834

Thought I'd share a small (very small, teeny weeny) part of my Coors Rosebud collection. They made many different pieces and each one in each color (there are 6 colors). Of course I had to have one of each. I was in the antique business and at one point sold off a whole bunch, but still have boxes and boxes full that I don't have room to display in this house. I mix it with Mexicana. I see several of the Mexicana patterns on this thread. If anyone can't identify a pattern show me and I'll probably have the info somewhere. I dealt in 20-50s stuff and since I love the Mexican things but couldn't keep everything I at least could handle them for a while through the store. Great fun this thread. I have a few collections of dinnerware but the others are ones I actually use, mostly Wallace Dahlia pattern, restaurant ware, which is pretty much indestructible. I saw a Tepco Shadowleaf saucer up there in one post, I have some of that too. OK, here's a wee part of my collection.

Thumbnail by stellapathic

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4443846

Oh, how cool! I'm unfamiliar with Coors. Are the four colors you show there all the colors they made in that pattern?
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #4444108

There are two more, yellow (which is a pale yellow, same color as the garlands on the green and blue plates) and ivory, the most difficult to find. There's been a controversy over which company actually came out with colored dinnerware first. Some say Homer Laughlin with Fiesta, others say Bauer but Coors also likes to take the claim. Anyway, when you could finally buy colored dishes why would you want white? So the ivory wasn't ordered much, therefore not much was produced, therefore it's really scarce and 'spensive. The story is this: Coors has always had a pottery, from forever, making industrial ware (mortar & pestle, etc). When prohibition shut down the brewery they converted everything to a pottery, hired some really good potters out of Ohio and produced several lines of dinnerware. These were sold through Montgomery Ward catalog and you could get a serving for six for something like $3.00. Don't quote me on that but I know it was a ridiculous price by today's standards. Rosebud was only produced for a few years. Once WWII started all nonessential pottery production was stopped. They went a little crazy with all the different pieces in this line. I mean there are five different types of casseroles and a couple of those come in four sizes! Then there are things like oatmeal bowls, shirred egg bowls...the list is endless of unusual pieces. At one point I had them all (or all I could get my hands on). Now I just take out a few pieces and make vignettes here and there. Here's a pretty bad pic of one display I have going right now. The glass on the cabinet reflected , but you get the idea.

HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

January 23, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #4444111

stella - very nice. It goes well with the Mexican theme. Even when I was dealing, Coors was not very plentiful - and hard to find in perfect condition. Wonder if I still have the book somewhere. Harold
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 23, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4444177

Oh Stella
I am learning something new here. I love the teapots and actually had some of the dishes with handles and didnt know what they were. Its a lovely line. Are the teapots hard to find? I'd like to find one for my Mexicana display.
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #4444277

Depends. The 6-cup teapots are relatively easy. Just look on eBay. The 2-cup teapots are rare and dear. I have two, the blue one and an orange one with no lid...just took a pic of it...there is usually a small orchid in there but it's out getting some rain today.

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #4444283

Here's a teapot that I could never quite let go of. I bought it for resale and it never has made it out of my kitchen. I use it too. This is by Pacific Pottery. It's I believe a 10 cup pot.

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #4444287

My everyday stuff that I love the most is Wallace Dahlia. All hand painted and it looks like finger painting. Here's a serving bowl.

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4444298

And a large creamer/syrup pitcher, whatever. This pattern comes in the loveliest colors, including lavender, lime green, royal blue and a few others.

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #4444325

Also, Harold, I meant to ask, you're not dealing anymore? Was your shop in Glendale and when? I was most active dealing between 1988 and, what, about five years ago? eBay put a huge crimp in my buying abilities. I used to love driving around the country buying goodies and shipping them home for the shop. Can you believe that? UPS was so cheap it was worth it to ship from wherever I happened to be. And I shopped Glendale quite a few times. I wonder if I bought from you?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #4444344

Those are great pieces...I've never seen any of the patterns...Especially loved the Wallace Dahlia...
I had to go look at the mortar and pestle on my bookcase (pictured above somewhere) and on a teeny tiny stamp near the lip, reads Coors! I never noticed before, I guess...
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 23, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #4444353

I'm sorry it wasnt the teapot i was drooling over ithey must be pitchers in post 4443834. The square pottery with the handles.
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

January 24, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4445086

Sorry Stella - I should have said actively dealing. I did quit buying a couple years ago because we have so much stashed in boxes, and this "dishes" business is so slow now. We still do a couple of glass shows, but never had a booth in Glendale. It has really gone down hill, very few "vintage" shops any more. Most have closed or gone "country" and/or new stuff. I knew several California dealers who used to do a "Glendale run", but it's not been worthwhile the past several years. You wouldn't pay for your gas.
We used to go frequently to the Long Beach Flea Market, and could make several trips out to the car with goodies. Never did get to the Rose Bowl tho. But the last few times at Long Beach, all I came home with was some cactus plants. Everyone is selling - er giving away - their stuff on ebay.
Did you ever attend the Cameo glass & pottery shows in Buena Park? We did sell there for years, but it closed a couple years ago. Someone is now trying to get it going again.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #4445185

I believe this will all come around again. Our economy of simply having the money for gasoline to get to work and back has put a dent in our pleasures. I am 66 and don't know if I will live to see the time when this is again a thrill for those who enjoy the "hunt:". Have packed away a lot of our collections. Tired of dusting. Maybe our great-grandchildren will recognize either a pleasure of having or selling. Who knows? Main rule: Never collect anything that doesn't give pleasure for you...not for resale.
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #4445256

Harold, I was in Laguna Beach at the time so Long Beach was my favorite, because it was so close. And that's nice when you need to be there before dawn. Actually the best one for buying was always Pasadena City College on the 1st Sunday. The Rose Bowl had turned into a retail store (mostly dealers just moving their stuff from their booths into a parking space with same pricing). I miss those trips around the country. I would take off all of May and all of September, fly to somewhere (St Louis, Cincinnati, Detroit, Chicago), rent a car and drive all over. My sister had a barn in No Ohio where I'd stash everything, then take the last couple of days of my trip, pack it all and ship it home. So much fun. I remember exactly the place, if not the time, when I knew it was all going to change and I'd probably want nothing to do with it. I was in Tecumseh Michigan at their spring flea when from every other space I'd hear the word "eBay." Changed everything. I have boxes and boxes of stuff that I need to sell on eBay because they're actually worth something but I sure have never gotten the inspiration to do so. Never did do the Cameo show, which seemed to focus more on glass and I never got the glass bug.

Jadajoy, I gotcha. Those aren't teapots, no, they're not even pottery, lol. They are wooden and were used as laundry flake dispensers. They are very much not easy to find. Well, I really shouldn't say that. I guess I haven't looked too hard since eBay started. Maybe if you do a search for mexicana, or sleeping mexican or siesta, those seem to be the words everyone uses for description. Good luck!

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #4445333

LouC, we cross-posted. And you brought up a point I meant to make also. When the last collecting craze started we were in a recession. And I think it'll happen again. Right now probably not because of the cost of fuel but some day. I'm also too old to maybe be active in the hunt when it comes again, and I'm also getting less interested in collecting more "stuff," but still have plenty of friends still in the game. One of them with '70s stuff for petes sake. I help him buy stuff all the time. We have great church sales here and that particular era hasn't hit big up this way yet, so he gets it for cheap and sells in his booth in Long Beach. So it's still happening on a different level. OK, got off track, what I really meant to say was that I believe that when times are bad and finances are tight that folks take comfort in the old stuff and want to surround themselves with nostalgia. This is what I saw happen in the early 90s and I believe it was that feeling that started the last collecting craze. Martha Stewart can thank that sentiment for her popularity too, I believe. She stepped right in there at the perfect time; people wanted to focus more on making their homes more lovely and comfortable and she inspired them and gave them the tools. I myself find more comfort in my garden these days and get to apply all the very same color/decorating rules I learned dealing with home furnishings. Especially color, I loves my color.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4445363

Having sold a little bit on ebay, I agree with Harolds' comment [quote] Everyone is selling - er giving away - their stuff on ebay [/quote] In my experience you end up giving it away. There are very few successful selling stories of glassware on ebay. I don't see the charm in buying or selling there. I think the dealers are using that as a marketing ploy. Saying this would draw far more on ebay... Many local antique mall dealers get their pricing structure off of ebay but they neglect to actually look at what it is selling for, only the asking price.

My best ebay merchandise market was "guy" stuff. Guys will bid on anything ~ LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #4446832

When I was at the height of collecting my DH went with me and had his own realm of interest. We really had a good time in "The Hunt". e-bay can't offer any of that. Hadn't really thought about it but that is about the time we gave it up as well. It was fun to spot something for our collection of whatever and casually pick it up, walk away as though we were not interested and then come back to barter. Having been a dealer myself, of course, the person usually knew the game...except the naive person running their garage sale. After the Gene Florence books came out everyone seemed to think they were an expert and priced everything to high heaven. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not an artificial price. The GF books are good for history but not pricing. Since we are retired we sometimes talk of going "garage saling" some Friday for entertainment but never seem to get the want to bad enough. Where would we put it is our main lament now. One more comment about ebay. There are many very good reproductions on the market now. Unless the dealer on the other end is very savy, you could be getting a copy. After years of collecting certain items, I can tell the minute I pick it up whether it is real or not. e-bay denies that little opportunity. my 2 cents.

The garden has more than filled my time with immeasurable pleasure. Still like to look at your collections. Fun to see another aspect of our lives.
LouC
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 24, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #4448629

Amen LouC! That sums it up nicely.
shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

January 26, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #4455014

CountryGardens, I saw the Smiley Pigs in your china cabinet. I have the same ones in mine. They were a wedding gift to my great-grandmother in 1900 or 1901. They always were a favorite of mine as a child. Can you tell me more about them?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 26, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #4455115

I didn't realize they have been around that long. They are made by Shawnee company. There are cookie jars & other items as well. Most of the time quite valuable. Cookie jars can bring over $200.00. There are many different color schemes.

Bernie
shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

January 26, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #4455188

They are priceless to me but I've never seen any like them before. She had so many pretty things in her home. I used to prowl through her things but I always asked if it was alright first. She said it was a good thing she didn't have anything to hide or I'd be sure to find it!
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

January 26, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4455225

Shawnee Pottery Company opened in 1937 and closed in 1961. Harold
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2008
6:21 AM

Post #4455554

I'm fortunate to have a clover Smiley cookie jar. He came to me for $.25 at the white elephant sale at the Episcopal Church in La Jolla in 1973 and I love him dearly.

shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

January 26, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #4457395

I hope I don't have that story confused with something else she had. It's been such a long time ago. Now this will drive me crazy trying to remember if it was something else.
velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 18, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #4678783

Well, now, what a coincidence. I, too, had noticed the Smiley Pigs. My little blue boy has been without his mate for years, and he misses her. The fact that I have TWO of the cookie jars doesn't quell the pang. I was going to suggest someone start a cookie jar thread. Now that would be fun, although more limited, perhaps, than the dinnerware.
playinindirt
Harwinton, CT

March 15, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8429290

Jadajoy. . .your dish reminded me of the ones they gave away on "Free Dish Night" at the movies a long time ago. I remember it from the '40's! Every time you went to the show, you got a free dish and if you kept going regularly pretty soon you had the whole set. There was another little girl who lived next to me and her mother MADE her go to the movies so she could get the dishes. I got to go along with her as she hated going alone especially when she didn't even want to see the particular movie that was showing. I chuckle every time I remember that.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8440582

The Gildea & Walker Transferware platter you can figure out the Year, Month, Day and Batch number when it was made. Took me quite a while to figure it out but I did it as I sold lots of it. Its used for a lot of English Pottery.

http://www.pottery-english.com/Articles/Pottery_Marks/Pottery_Marks_Patent_Office_Registration_Marks_And_Numbers/
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8440631

Here is 4 different plates. Different years.

Thumbnail by schickenlady

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8440645

They are all Gildrea & Walker. This is brown transferware. They had different cartouche's. They had the Rook Bird, Crane, Rabbit and this was the best seller. The bat with the moon & stars.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8440650

Big Bubbles this one is colored like your platter. Cartouche moon & star is what I have. Platters are a big seller on ebay. Even if they have chips.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8440661

Here is the back with the numbers and letters. Its stamped Gildea & Walker IVORY. I think the red is the actual artist. Again Platters, teapots and pitchers are the money makers.

I sold about 100 pieces on ebay. Even a 10" plate with a chip on the edge will sell. Of course quality always brings more dollars.

docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8440990

Do any of you know the pattern glass Roses in Snow CIRCA 1940's? Would love to have a link to any intellegent forum dealing with this pattern. My mother left me a service for eight perhaps a complete set. Fifty years ago my wife and I bought two or three pieces to fill in the set. I have seen none locally...ever.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8441076

Thanks for update on the platter, schickenlady. I was just about to look at some photos I downloaded when I saw the thread had updated. I'll post a pic or two here and you can guess where I am.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8441092

Give up? Our entire subdivision has a garage sale the last Sat. of March each year. I've been unpacking boxes that have been stored in the garage...where my car should be. This year I'm going to get rid of some "stuff."

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8441100

A box full of sherbet glasses...and I just started unpacking a whole box of shot glasses!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 21, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8442201

This is the BEST and most delicious and informative thread yet! I have never, that I recall, seen Coors Rosebud. However, I am pretty focused when I'm out on the prowl. Can't be collectin' EVERYTHING! How fascinating that Coors was a pottery. Wow! Maybe next time in Colorado I'll find some. Is that logical?

Does anyone have a website for restaurant ware? Some of it is so gorgeous for what it was, you'd never know it was restaurant ware. Is anyone familiar with a company or pattern called Mohawk? I picked up one lonesome tea cup with that single word underneath. It was so intriguing, and had a hand painted look. A black sailing ship on an ivory background. More, more, more is what I'm after!
velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 21, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8442205

BTW, does anyone besides me collect Fostoria American? I know it's common as can be, and I let all of my mom's set go to a niece. Then I accidentally started collecting it myself. Can't stop if I find a really good deal or something more unusual. Since I never, ever entertain, this is certainly aberrant behavior...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8442807

It's always a hot item at an auction, but don't get bought at a shop. Go figure!

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8443107

Up here in NH green and clear glass is not a good seller in the shops.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9112757

"Show Off Your Vintage Dinnerware "

OK!

Thumbnail by LoveBrug

LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9112760

more Show Off Your Vintage Dinnerware .
Well we were asked to show off!

This message was edited May 6, 2012 2:21 PM

Thumbnail by LoveBrug

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9112843

The Fiesta is a great pop of color there in your kitchen. Very nicely displayed. ^_^

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9350861

stella so awesome. Love that color and the mutation of the color is great.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2014
4:01 PM

Post #9770466

Talk about late responses, here is one. The picture at the very top of this thread is Desert Rose. It was made in California along with another similar that featured apples, at the beginning of WWII.
My grandmother had a large "tourist home" on Wrightsville Beach, NC, near Wilmington. Because there was not enough housing for WACs (Women's Army Corps), she have room for a lot of WACS as she had 4 bedrooms upstairs and 2 apartments downstairs. She bought a large amount of Desert Rose to feed them and did all the cooking herself. I have part of the set. Plenty of regular plates, dessert plates, small bowls etc. But I also have a lot of serving pieces and haven't seen them on eBay. I have a large turkey platter and a smaller platter, 1 bowl and 1 covered bowl, covered butter dish, salt and pepper (shaped like little rose buds on little dishes), a gravy boat and tumblers.
I did see the large turkey platter once on eBay and it sold about $100. These are only earthenware and some of the plates have chips on the underside but and I use and love them. I wrote up a history of them including makers and keep it in the small pitcher. I understand a cousin has a lot of these pieces, too. What a huge set Grandma must have bought.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America